• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

BLACKLAC

‘Godzilla’ Crushes Box Office With Largest Opening Day of Year, Set for $98 Million Weekend

XSVyOBV.gif

Damn. I'm now wondering if this will take a chunk out of DoFP's opening weekend.

Timbuktu

I was thinking the the international secret organistatjon M.U.T.O (Monach?) would be more like Eva's. Nerv. watanabe would make a good Gendo.

Duallusion

As much as I am dissapointed with many aspects of the film I'm glad there's now a good chance for the sequel. The kid in me is already excited at the thought of it.

Zombine

Banned
Please please please be Godzilla vs. Mothra in Godzilla 2.

The GAF backlash squad is just getting warmed up. Pretty soon this movie will be as reviled as Nolan's Batman flicks.

I'm not so sure it's fair to dismiss critique of this film as "GAF backlash."

The movie was fun, but there are legitimate issues with the pacing that need to be addressed in Godzilla 2. We need a better human element in the sequel, and less of that teasing bullshit that happened 4 times too many in this movie.

This is coming from someone who enjoys the Nolan Batman films.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
my main problem i expressed but wanna explain,

they kept teasing this big battle between godzillia and that which is ok but surely abetter approach would of been they clash sometime in film and x monster gets upper hand but then later on x monster is victorious or whatever.

instead we just got cock teased around 5 times for this one fight right at end of the film which was an ok fight but didnt really live up to all the cock teasing they did

Duallusion

You need eyes in the sky to keep track of the male and female MUTO. Plus, as the film showed, the EMP range of the MUTOs is immense.

Having a monster with a huge EMP range is exactly why you can't afford to have "eyes in the sky", by my logic. I liked the eye candy of that scene but it should've happened earlier when they didn't know just how wide that thing can blast an EMP. They could've tracked the flying MUTA with a radar and save some money/lives when that EMP blast happened. :)

Zombine

Banned
instead we just got cock teased around 5 times for this one fight right at end of the film which was an ok fight but didnt really live up to all the cock teasing they did

I am completely with you. The teasing was god awful and really took my interest away from the film after it would happen again and again.

There is nothing wrong with this critique. It's valid and it was a problem.

I think what made me so disinterested while watching was that the beginning sucked me in. I knew that some shit was about to go down and I would see Kaiju. It made me happy knowing that the payoff would be giant monsters but as soon as you thought that payoff would come it cut away.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I am completely with you. The teasing was god awful and really took my interest away from the film after it would happen again and again.

There is nothing wrong with this critique. It's valid and it was a problem.

i didnt mind the teasing but i actually
sighed out loud when the scene of godzillia and the monster clashing and the people are running into the building at the door closes just as they are about to fight
. that was like the third time being teased and i was genuinely like wtf just fight already but dont finish the fight atleast do something instead of fluffing film longer.

Jaeger

When Joe and Ford go back to their house, there's a quick shot of Ford looking at an aquarium of an old pet butterfly he had that's named MOTHRA on the bottom of the tank.

Woah, I missed that. Gonna look out for it on my next trip to see it this week.

Shouta

they kept teasing this big battle between godzillia and that which is ok but surely abetter approach would of been they clash sometime in film and x monster gets upper hand but then later on x monster is victorious or whatever.

They use that for other Godzilla films because it makes more sense when they're showcasing a villain monster. Godzilla is revealed in this to the world so teasing it is what they want to do. MUTOs seem to be placeholder villains in that sense. Save Godzillas ass getting kicked for king ghidorah

params7

Banned
I expected more deaths than cliches from this movie given the trailers. Didn't really feel anything for the characters. I don't think it was bad, just underwhelmed. All Godzilla scenes themselves were cool.

I'm not so sure it's fair to dismiss critique of this film as "GAF backlash."

The movie was fun, but there are legitimate issues with the pacing that need to be addressed in Godzilla 2. We need a better human element in the sequel, and less of that teasing bullshit that happened 4 times too many in this movie.

This is coming from someone who enjoys the Nolan Batman films.

I think the points you mention are fair. But when people point to Godzilla '98 as a superior Godzilla film or say Cloverfield has better characters, that's pure madness. I don't doubt they disliked the film, I just doubt the purity of those particular responses.

Zombine

Banned
MUTOs seem to be placeholder villains in that sense. Save Godzillas ass getting kicked for king ghidorah

This was my thought process and why I didn't mind MUTO at all. If I can make the comparison Godzilla = Batman Begins, with the stakes of a potential sequel being much higher and we will see one or more Kaiju like Ghidorah in Godzilla 2.

I think the points you mention are fair. But when people point to Godzilla '98 as a superior Godzilla film or say Cloverfield has better characters, that's pure madness. I don't doubt they disliked the film, I just doubt the purity of those particular responses.

Godzilla '98 was awful, but I wish this Godzilla got as much screen time as that one did.

In regards to Cloverfield though, the only element that I wish Godzilla captured from that film was the build up and the sense of dread and the fear that people showed running down the streets looking for safety. These extras and even the leads didn't seem to realize that they just witnessed something that should have throw all of their beliefs out the window.

With the exception of Brian Cranston, who was the only actor who gave a shit.

I agree that the pacing had it's problems. It wasn't horrible, but it could be improved on. I think there was plenty Godzilla in the movie, but there were parts during the last fight scene where I'd really be getting into it and then they would cut to a shot of Elizabeth Olsen cowering. I also think Ford wasn't really an interesting character.

Still, it was overall an awesome movie and there's nothing a little tweaking couldn't do to make the sequel even better then this one.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Am I crazy, or were there a ton of nods to Jurassic Park in this movie?

Opening sequence with Helicopter looked straight out of JP, and the scenes it led to had a distinct JP feel
MUTO breaking free just had the feel of the Tyrannosaur escape
School bus (?) driver wiping off the window to see Godzilla
Not to mention a shit ton of Dinosaur toys and props in scenes

Sure did! I also noticed a couple nods from the '97 movie

-MUTO laying eggs, having them get blown up with mommy pissed.
-Godzilla getting crushed by the skyscraper and looking back at the protagonist was like when Zilla was dying on the bridge. A little different, but kinda the same.

The "cock teasing" was my favorite aspect of the movie for me because it built up suspense, and at least for me all the suspense was worth it mainly because I felt the final fight was super crazy awesome. Maybe that's just because I'm a godzilla fanboy and all the godzilla stuff made me shit my pants. (I squealed when his
spikes started glowing blue and he used his atomic breath for the first time
)

BokehKing

Banned
It should've been. MUTO (1 and 2) were disappointing .

I will politely disagree
They caused much havoc in this film and did not mess around. I think people wanted godzilla to do what the mutos were doing. Senseless destruction.

They are taking him in a new direction, I'm ok with that.

I think one of my favorite non MUTO scenes in the film was
godzilla on that bridge... The last US film he fit on one/died on one, in this film... He doesn't even really mean to destroy it, it just got in the way but the view from inside the bus was really intense

Kinsei

Banned
Or give me Destroyah.

Oh man, I love Destroyah so much. Give me Godzilla vs. Mothra vs. Destroyah in the sequel plz. It would also create enough distrust of Godzilla in the humans seeing him fight a "good" monster setting up Mecha Godzilla for the third movie.

BokehKing

Banned
My thoughts on the airport "cocktease"
you see it happening on the TV, as you would if you were at home and saw something like this happening in real time

Sure did! I also noticed a couple nods from the '97 movie

-MUTO laying eggs, having them get blown up with mommy pissed.
-Godzilla getting crushed by the skyscraper and looking back at the protagonist was like when Zilla was dying on the bridge. A little different, but kinda the same.

Another similarity...
The opening credits even down to some of the music cues were very similar.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't get the Mothra love, after 30 years. Big butterfly to me is still super boring. Rodan, Ghidorah, Angilas.. I can see as threats... Then again Godzilla is not a heel in this series apparently, the next movie will be more of what people want, Ghidorah attacks, Godzilla shows up halts a Ghidorah destruction, until Ghidorah hits him up with gravity beams, Godzilla goes to link his wounds, more Ghidorah destruction, Godzilla shows up to finish the job...

The only problem I have is... Man.... Needs to do something in the next film to piss off godzilla, like something bad where godzilla attacks, humans hate him for the destruction, THEN a monster attack happens, anti hero type stuff

The set up for the film we just watched would have been a good second movie

I will politely disagree
They caused much havoc in this film and did not mess around. I think people wanted godzilla to do what the mutos were doing. Senseless destruction.

They are taking him in a new direction, I'm ok with that.

I think one of my favorite non MUTO scenes in the film was
godzilla on that bridge... The last US film he fit on one/died on one, in this film... He doesn't even really mean to destroy it, it just got in the way but the view from inside the bus was really intense
I meant disappointing in that they were just the same design with minor alterations.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've only seen '54, '98 and '14 Godzilla movies but I know I want to see King Ghidhora if they make another one of these movies.

EDIT: In fact, an era of these movies like the various eras of the Japanese ones would be awesome.

Blablurn

You know which scene i liked. The one at the end at the Chinese gate where you can see Godzillas tail moving in the dark. The music at this scene is perfect.

This might not win me any friends but...Destroyah sucks. That would have been like making the villain of The Dark Knight the Mad Hatter.

Give me Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah, leave the b-tier scrubs for later down the line if the second movie is successful

Zombine

Banned
This might not win me any friends but...Destroyah sucks. That would have been like making the villain of The Dark Knight the Mad Hatter.

Give me Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah, leave the b-tier scrubs for later down the line if the second movie is successful

I can easily imagine a King Ghidorah/Mecha-Godzilla Film. Government tries to shut down Godzilla with their new weapon, they beat up Godzilla, he goes into hiding, Ghidorah comes and rips the place apart and Godzilla saves the day.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
So I'm having a kid and I want to buy him the whole Godzilla cast of monsters plush. Any one have a good idea where to get them? I've checked amazon and eBay. I've found a few monsters but not all. Some are really expensive! Haha. They will line his wall by his crib. :) Didn't know where to put this.

Top Bottom