• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

LCGeek

formerly sane
EatChildren said:
Well, technically Perfect Dark (and maybe GoldenEye?) allowed players to use two N64 control pads at once for the first dual analogue shooting. It just wasn't a standard.

Quake on PSX also allowed for someone to configure controls in this manner too, dual analog not two controllers with analog.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Drunkenthumbmaster said:
If not Halo who????

OH god flashback of old Halo vs Goldeneye arguments.

There is no argument. If you want to say Halo popularised dual analogue, fair enough. If you want to say Halo created dual analogue, you're wrong as it didn't due to such a control scheme being present in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark.

LCGeek said:
Quake on PSX also allowed for someone to configure controls in this manner too, dual analog not two controllers with analog.

Interesting. I didn't know this.

Lonely1 said:
Well, you can argue that the Mouse was designed from the start to efficiently point and drag stuff. While Dual analog main concern was 3D plataformers...

right - miyamoto/nintendo had the analog stick added to help how Mario 64 played.

That's like saying that because the D-Pad was designed for 2D platformers, it is ineffective for fighting games or 2d shooters.

I would argue that the keyboard is at least as unintentionally designed for FPS movement/controls as the analog stick is for aiming.

I just think it's good to have options. Mouse/KB, DA, and Pointers are all valid and equally good ways of playing the game, if that's what you specifically prefer.

Threi said:
Medal of Honor on the PS1 had a dual analog control scheme

LOL no it didn't the Goldeneye argument is more valid. Medal of Honor was the first game I remember for location based hit detection on a console though.

Anyway lost in this controller argument the game is good. I actually didn't play the first Goldeneye played the hell out of Perferct Dark on the N64 though.

MiniDitka

EatChildren said:
I'd argue that MW:R is probably the best controlling shooter on the Wii, and pretty much flawless. I think my housemate's boyfriend would agree, considering he refuses to touch dual analogue yet seems to love using the pointer.
IMHO Red Steel 2 is the beat controlling shooter followed by The Conduit and MW:R. Played a few levels so far and the pointer controls seem a bit skittish at times, not bad by any means but not as good as the games I've mentioned. As far as the game itself its seems ok so far but nothing has wowed me yet. Hopefully it just because its early and things will pick up. Editing some vid now and should have some stuff up soon. Time to give Bloodstone a whirl.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Drunkenthumbmaster said:
LOL no it didn't the Goldeneye argument is more valid. Medal of Honor was the first game I remember for location based hit detection on a console though.

Actually, that was GoldenEye too ;).

MiniDitka said:
IMHO Red Steel 2 is the beat controlling shooter followed by The Conduit and MW:R.

Actually yeah, Red Steel 2 has boss controls. Loved them. I like the pointer controls in The Conduit, as well as the tweaking options, but hated the sluggish character movement, so MW:R beats that out for me.

Gaming Nexus review:

Instead of standing in the original GoldenEye's shadow, Eurocom has created a brand new game that is just as compelling and addictive as the original. An expertly produced story mode and an engrossing multiplayer make the new GoldenEye one of the best experiences on any console this holiday. Round up your friends and get ready to get hooked all over again, GoldenEye 007 is back.

Score: A-

EatChildren said:

Seriously! Shooting soldiers in the crotch or the throat was a memorable thing back in the day. :lol

I'm on the fence about GoldenEye, but I do like those "Great Moments in GoldenEye" ads.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SonOfABeep said:
right - miyamoto/nintendo had the analog stick added to help how Mario 64 played.

That's like saying that because the D-Pad was designed for 2D platformers, it is ineffective for fighting games or 2d shooters.

I would argue that the keyboard is at least as unintentionally designed for FPS movement/controls as the analog stick is for aiming.

I just think it's good to have options. Mouse/KB, DA, and Pointers are all valid and equally good ways of playing the game, if that's what you specifically prefer.

No, is not like that at all. Fighting games and 2D shooters share fundamental mechanic principles with 2D plataformes, they are all based on controlling a single object in a 2D space.

MiniDitka

EatChildren said:

Actually yeah, Red Steel 2 has boss controls. Loved them. I like the pointer controls in The Conduit, as well as the tweaking options, but hated the sluggish character movement, so MW:R beats that out for me.

I think Conduit and MW:R pointer controls are similar, both feel good to me but I'd agree with you the character movement in Conduit, dude definitely needed to pick up the pace :lol

Lonely1 said:
No, is not like that at all. Fighting games and 2D shooters share fundamental mechanic principles with 2D plataformes, they are all based on controlling a single object in a 2D space.

And analog sticks are based on giving a range of motion/movement speeds. This follows to using a cursor or moving a camera as much as it does for something like a robo-cam on a reality TV show or security camera setup, which use similar joystick type devices for control.

Mouse is to Analog Stick (POV movement) as 8-Way Joystick is to D-Pad (Fighting game input), essentially. Both are a slight downgrade, but not enough to make one irrelevant, IMO.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SonOfABeep said:
And analog sticks are based on giving a range of motion/movement speeds. This follows to using a cursor or moving a camera as much as it does for something like a robo-cam on a reality TV show or security camera setup, which use similar joystick type devices for control.

Mouse is to Analog Stick (POV movement) as 8-Way Joystick is to D-Pad (Fighting game input), essentially. Both are a slight downgrade, but not enough to make one irrelevant, IMO.

Camera movements =/= target aiming. The fact that analogs are irrelevant for OS navigation should be evidence enough. Even with it size advantage, designer still prefer to make room for a trackball, touch pad or touch screen over an analog.

AniHawk

I want to believe Game Informer's numerical conclusion, but then I remember that they're Gamestop and they're always objectively wrong (they gave Super Paper Mario a 9.5).

MoFuzz

EatChildren said:
There is no argument. If you want to say Halo popularised dual analogue, fair enough. If you want to say Halo created dual analogue, you're wrong as it didn't due to such a control scheme being present in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark.
If we were to really get technical, the N64 controller only had one analog stick.

I'd say 007 & PD popularised console FPS with analog controls while Halo popularized dual analog on consoles.

Maxrunner

Dual analog is as archaic as wii graphics chip.....playing killzone 2 was a horrible experience in the control department, everything else was amazing though....too bad about the controls...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
SonOfABeep said:
Controller relativism raises its ugly head.

farnham

Banned
Maxrunner said:
Dual analog is as archaic as wii graphics chip.....playing killzone 2 was a horrible experience in the control department, everything else was amazing though....too bad about the controls...
now imagine killzone 3

with move

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
poppabk said:
Controller relativism raises its ugly head.
We should go back to the basics. WASD movement with ENTER to shoot. Shit was way better back then, none need for stinky aiming.

farnham

Banned
AniHawk said:
I want to believe Game Informer's numerical conclusion, but then I remember that they're Gamestop and they're always objectively wrong (they gave Super Paper Mario a 9.5).
that was probably because they got so much flak for paper mario 2

I rarely buy games for my Wii but GoldenEye getting a 9.0 from IGN has peaked my interest. That and Blood Stone apparently sucking. As a Bond fan, I might pick this up some time.

MoFuzz

Lonely1 said:
We should go back to the basics. Arrow keys for movement with CTRL to shoot and ALT to strafe. Shit was way better back then, none need for stinky aiming.
Fixed.

[Nintex]

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
I didn't go into the options and try and tweak it.
You don't like choice?

Look in his eyes it's all about choice, choice and lucid dreams
4htugi.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EatChildren said:
On the subject of review scores, I want people to know that when I review this I'll be docking a good 3 or 4 points from the total on the basis of no Famke.

I feel this is just and fair.

I think I concur, also deduct 90 for no sean bean as trevelyan

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have to admit, this actually sounds appealing. I'm not a fan of the N64 game at all, but this doesn't seem to share any of its faults and appears to be a solid game. I really enjoyed Dead Space Extraction, so I have some confidence in Eurocom.

Maxrunner said:
yep, is it day one compatible?
Yes, it's day one compatible.

Sounds like you need to calibrate your TV/game properly. Check the options menu for a brightness option to get optimal settings.
Actually, this is a real problem with the Wii. Certain combinations of cables, TVs, and receivers can produce totally different results. When using composite or the HDMI adapter I have, the Wii output is VERY dark. Other M was impossible to play with either of those connections. Over component, however, the image is much brighter.

Simply adjusting your TV will not solve this problem (you'll just wash out the image).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Reviews that I might take notice of are from IGN and IGN UK and AU. GamesTM EuroGamer and Edge.

mostly and I always say this it is down to me wether I like the game or not.

pretty happy it got a 9.0 from IGN

basically if eurogamer give it a 7 or 8 I know it is good

seeing as a UK based developer is making the game about an english spy wonder what edge will socre it? :lol

9.0 from IGN. Damn sounds great. But with IGN it's always safe to take off a point. 8/10 seems good. Then again they gave that one Medal of Honor Wii an 8.5 and that game was trash.

VAIL

jufonuk said:
The Reviews that I might take notice of are from IGN and IGN UK and AU. GamesTM EuroGamer and Edge.

mostly and I always say this it is down to me wether I like the game or not.

pretty happy it got a 9.0 from IGN

basically if eurogamer give it a 7 or 8 I know it is good

I know it's good when I play it and deem it so...which should be in about an hour.

Reviews are pretty much useless these days between payola and bias...

Randum

Neo Member
Jethro said:
I guess Timesplitters used the dual analog control scheme too and that was 2000.
After the original goldeneye, I will argue this was the best console shooter on any console. It was fast, easy to control, bots and level creation..

VAIL said:
I know it's good when I play it and deem it so...which should be in about an hour.

Reviews are pretty much useless these days between payola and bias...

Game critics can't keep compete with the bias that Neogaf emits.

Lkr

Enjoying it online right now. It takes a while to get used to if you've been playing Halo/CoD/etc for a while. You can't run and gun. Sensitivity with ADS is crazy using a gamecube controller. I still need to find the sweet spot. Very fun though, even if you are getting your ass kicked. Something that is hard is the really dark outdoors level. I don't know if you can enable nightvision online, but I did not know how, so it was frustrating. Still got myself a few kills from random shots though

Top Bottom