• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

Well first thing I'm here to tell you for me wii remote and nunchuck was damn near impossible so I'm playing with the classic controller if you do you are gonna want to change the button layout to goldfinger style.

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
Well first thing I'm here to tell you for me wii remote and nunchuck was damn near impossible so I'm playing with the classic controller if you do you are gonna want to change the button layout to goldfinger style.
Drunkenthumbmaster
(Today, 03:40 PM)
Reply | Quote

Just picked it up for Wii and impulse bought the DS version. Sadly I've gotta go vote and go to work so I've got no time to play now...

So this game, if its good online, could become huge. There seem to be a lot of anecdotal impulse purchases / purchases in the public, on amazon, etc. If its bad, its a huge missed opportunity. We'll see what happens!

Maxrunner

Penguin said:
Seems like a solid read from the snippets on the side, don't play without Classic Controller Pr. Low Replayability for something built on local and online multi player.

Whats the pro dual analog comment, do these guys have even played any wii fps game???

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"Don’t bother playing this without a Classic Controller Pro". Either the pointer controls are completely broken and impossible to tweak, or they're just another group who still cant let go of dual analogue.

Maxrunner

EatChildren said:
"Don’t bother playing this without a Classic Controller Pro". Either the pointer controls are completely broken and impossible to tweak, or they're just another group who still cant let go of dual analogue.

i think its the later....

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
They gave the same score as MW:R.

About Reflex:

"Someday a developer might come up with an FPS control scheme that works on the Wii. Today is not that day".

About Goldeneye:

"Don’t bother playing this without a Classic Controller Pro".

Fuck that shit. They reviews have zero credibility
(to me)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What the fuck. I want to read the whole review... the little notes on the side are really stupid. Apparently the graphics are bad in 4 player split screen.. duh. Are there games that look good in 4 player split screen? Hell, are there even games now with four player split screen?

Low replayability with all the mutliplayer stuff and only use Classic Controller Pro? Maybe the snippets are just poorly written and presented. I have no doubt that this game could deserve a 6.5, but that summary is not good.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:

"Someday a developer might come up with an FPS control scheme that works on the Wii. Today is not that day". That's from MW:R review.

evangd007

Mockingbird said:

They need to find someone on their review team who can play FPS games with a pointer. You know, someone with basic dexterity. Every review they've done on Wii FPS games has been a bitchfest about how they're impossible to control. GI was quite possibly the only review that claimed that Metroid Prime Trilogy controlled worse than the originals.

I hope IGN does some sort of Pointer v CC grudge match. Craig has always been a proponent of pointer and I want to see him defend his honor on the field of battle.

Maxrunner

WOW lolol...gameinformer is really that bad han? Well ill wait for eurogamer and edge reviews plus ign and gamespot for deciding if i buy or not...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lonely1 said:
"Someday a developer might come up with an FPS control scheme that works on the Wii. Today is not that day". That's from MW:R review.

I'd argue that MW:R is probably the best controlling shooter on the Wii, and pretty much flawless. I think my housemate's boyfriend would agree, considering he refuses to touch dual analogue yet seems to love using the pointer.

Seems like GI just cant control the bloody thing. Its really not that hard.

Ironically, I find Dual Analog to be impossible to use and see games that use it as really hard to control. I wouldn't say COD MW is a bad game just because I can't figure out the controls, though

How did Goldeneye's multiplayer go from being "fun as it ever was" in the below posted description, to "limited replayability"?

GoldenEye's Multiplayer Is Fun As It Ever Was
Preview by Tim Turi on June 15, 2010 at 05:06 PM 4,347 Views 36

I just returned from the Nintendo booth at E3, and I’m surprised at how much fun the new GoldenEye is. The game’s multiplayer is reminiscent of the Nintendo 64 classic, though the Activision representative was hesitant to even acknowledge the Rare-developed title. GoldenEye for the Nintendo Wii is based off the same 1995 James Bond film as the N64 title, but the similarities don’t end there.

Overall, GoldenEye’s split-screen multiplayer is looking great, and the simple-minded fun of the N64 classic is alive and well so far. Keep your eyes on Game Informer for an upcoming look at the game’s single-player, which updates the Pierce Brosnan James Bond to Daniel Craig.

Uh, GI Credibility 100% gone?

Penguin

TheKingsCrown said:
How did Goldeneye's multiplayer go from being "fun as it ever was" in the below posted description, to "limited replayability"?

I just returned from the Nintendo booth at E3, and I’m surprised at how much fun the new GoldenEye is. The game’s multiplayer is reminiscent of the Nintendo 64 classic, though the Activision representative was hesitant to even acknowledge the Rare-developed title. GoldenEye for the Nintendo Wii is based off the same 1995 James Bond film as the N64 title, but the similarities don’t end there.

Overall, GoldenEye’s split-screen multiplayer is looking great, and the simple-minded fun of the N64 classic is alive and well so far. Keep your eyes on Game Informer for an upcoming look at the game’s single-player, which updates the Pierce Brosnan James Bond to Daniel Craig.

That doesn't count though.
Previews tend to be overly positive anyhow, and we don't know if the same person did the review as the preview.

Penguin said:
That doesn't count though.
Previews tend to be overly positive anyhow, and we don't know if the same person did the review as the preview.
How does it not count? Its on the same website! :lol :lol

Lkr

IGN time? On my iPod, if someone could post it, it'd be appreciated.
Edit: Beaten. Gonna go get it in a few minutes

Fantastical

Death Prophet
IGN Review said:
That said, honestly, the game has some of the best Wii Remote controller support seen in a first-person shooter, and with practice it's clear that the quick and direct aiming of the Wii pointer is the true way to play this game. The Remote support is second only to The Conduit's crazy OCD level of customization, but in GoldenEye you have full input on pointer sensitivity, rotation speed, invert look, and other options, and everything you adjust is saved and applied to individual profiles that you can utilize in multiplayer.
:lol GameInformer

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
Hm, its IGN, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but still...that's nice.
I know, but is one of the few publications that know how to use a dam pointer. Still waiting on others to say how good is the SP, etc.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The_Technomancer said:
Hm, its IGN, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but still...that's nice.
Yeah, I'm guessing this game will average in score somewhere in the middle of the two scores.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheKingsCrown said:

serious response:
because some things are fun for ten minutes (which are what previews are written based on) but don't hold up for many hours more (which is what post-release reactions are written based on)

cynical response:
everyone knows previews are bought and paid for

edit: ah, i see, we're going through the "we all care about reviews but any time a major outlet releases a negative review we're going to shit all over them 8.8 UNFORGIVABLE!!!!!" phase, never mind, i thought i was engaging a sincere, good faith discussion.

Lkr

I know people bitch about IGN, and maybe they do rate some games too high, but I have never been disappointed with a purchase. The games they have overrated were only done so by a point or two. I'm going to go purchase the game(planned on it anyway) and give it a spin with the regular classic controller. I'll play some gamecube controller multiplayer afterward and post impressions. I am excited. I also can't wait to get my sensor bar back from my friend

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:
serious response:
because some things are fun for ten minutes (which are what previews are written based on) but don't hold up for many hours more (which is what post-release reactions are written based on)

cynical response:
everyone knows previews are bought and paid for

edit: ah, i see, we're going through the "we all care about reviews but any time a major outlet releases a negative review we're going to shit all over them 8.8 UNFORGIVABLE!!!!!" phase, never mind, i thought i was engaging a sincere, good faith discussion.

Again with that? I gave concrete reasons why I believe that GI reviews for Wii fpses are a non factor.

MYE

Lonely1 said:
They gave the same score as MW:R.

About Reflex:

"Someday a developer might come up with an FPS control scheme that works on the Wii. Today is not that day".

About Goldeneye:

"Don’t bother playing this without a Classic Controller Pro".

Fuck that shit. They reviews have zero credibility
(to me)

Pathetic.

This is why the FPS genre will be stuck with a piece of shit interface for years to come.
You keep twiddling those amazingly accurate and immersive thumbsticks, GI.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Stumpokapow said:
Yeah, maybe we should just wait for the full GameInformer review where they shit all over Wii IR controls. For the graphics they complain about bad graphics in 4 player split screen. When has 4 player split screen ever looked good at a good framerate? Hell, how many games now have 4 player split screen at all?

I think you are correct with your preview assessment in that previews are generally positive even for bad games and that something that seems fun for a while gets old quickly... it's just GI doesn't like Wii IR controls and gives games bad scores because of that.

EatChildren

Stumpokapow said:

To be fair, pointer controls are a very significant reason a lot of people here are interested in Wii shooters. GI have shown to be nothing short of incompetent when it comes to handling pointer based shooters (eg: bagging out MW:R's controls, which are very good), so it naturally calls into question the authenticity of their reviews.

For someone who's mainly buy these kinds of games for the pointer controls, there's really no point listening to someone who cant control them.

MYE

GAMEINFORMER on Metroid Prime Trilogy controls

"Aiming and panning your view with the remote is inferior in every way to the traditional scheme from the GameCube titles. Since there is no way to play with a classic or GameCube controller, you’re stuck playing good last-gen games with a gimpy waggle interface."

W

T

F

?!?!

I'm of a pretty open mind on this. I can really see it going either way as the reviews trickle out. But GI has been on about a twelve year GC/Wii hate fest.

Maxrunner

MYE said:
GAMEINFORMER on Metroid Prime Trilogy controls

"Aiming and panning your view with the remote is inferior in every way to the traditional scheme from the GameCube titles. Since there is no way to play with a classic or GameCube controller, you’re stuck playing good last-gen games with a gimpy waggle interface."

W

T

F

?!?!

Is that real???i mean like really real?

KevinCow

Banned
Hmm. I've played through the first level and I was constantly fiddling with the controls the whole time, and I'm still not totally happy with them. You'll probably be fine with them if you liked the way CoD Reflex felt, but it doesn't feel near as nice as the Conduit or even Metroid to me. ADS feels especially awkward.

Gonna keep going anyway. Maybe I'll get used to them.

WillyFive

Game Informer has a consistent hate against different control schemes.

They also hated the Wii remote sideways method of playing Brawl, saying it "should only be used as a cruel joke to somebody you hate", or something like that.

I'd beat them with the Wii remote sideways.

Lkr

KevinCow said:
Hmm. I've played through the first level and I was constantly fiddling with the controls the whole time, and I'm still not totally happy with them. You'll probably be fine with them if you liked the way CoD Reflex felt, but it doesn't feel near as nice as the Conduit or even Metroid to me. ADS feels especially awkward.

Gonna keep going anyway. Maybe I'll get used to them.
did you edit the settings or anything?

Top Bottom