• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MoFuzz said:
If we were to really get technical, the N64 controller only had one analog stick.

Of course, but as said there was a control scheme that took advantage of two controllers at once for what was essentially dual analogue control. You used both analogue sticks; one to aim, one to move.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CaVaYeRo said:
Official intro / title credits video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uxYcA4Cmio

and Nicole Scherzinger - GoldenEye complete Theme in quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R_EvA49Zg4

I also think they have some problems with the brightness... everyone should adjust their setup when playing.
Again, it's the Wii itself, not the hardware. Certain combinations of cables and display devices can result in a very dark image that cannot be corrected by adjusting said display device. In my case, only component cables produce an image of the proper brightness.

EatChildren said:
Of course, but as said there was a control scheme that took advantage of two controllers at once for what was essentially dual analogue control. You used both analogue sticks; one to aim, one to move.

Wow, I never even knew that was possible and I played the hell out of Goldeneye on the N64...

Did people actually do this? I've never heard of anyone that has ever done this before

Nemesis_

MikeE21286 said:
Wow, I never even knew that was possible and I played the hell out of Goldeneye on the N64...

Did people actually do this? I've never heard of anyone that has ever done this before

We used to. We pretended it was a co-op mode too sometimes. =P

KevinCow

Banned
Hellz yeah, I just got first place in my first match online. Went straight from level 1 to level 3. :smug:

I'm much happier with the controls after spending some more time with it. I'm just going with the Experienced 3 preset, it seems better than any of my attempts at a custom setup. Still not perfect. I still don't like the way ADS feels, and the complete lack of pointing when sniping is disappointing. I'm also not too happy with how weapon switching works. If you're always going to have your P99 with you, I wish they'd just mapped that to its own button instead of making you switch between three weapons using one button.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What i was trying to say about review scores is at the end of the day, it is wether I like the game that counts seeing as I am buying it.

sometimes it is nice to hear you dont have bad taste I guess :p

Lkr

MidnightRider said:
Wonder if they payed IGN for that score
Myself and others here are enjoying it. The score isn't that wild. Gaming Nexus gave it an A- and 1Up gave it a B+. The only mind boggling review is the 6.5 review from GI, but looking at their past reviews on MP Trilogy, CoD4 Reflex, and even Paper Mario shows how clueless they are.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lkr said:
Myself and others here are enjoying it. The score isn't that wild. Gaming Nexus gave it an A- and 1Up gave it a B+. The only mind boggling review is the 6.5 review from GI, but looking at their past reviews on MP Trilogy, CoD4 Reflex, and even Paper Mario shows how clueless they are.

Plus its not even 400 words. Total afterthought.

CaVaYeRo

Lkr said:
The only mind boggling review is the 6.5 review from GI, but looking at their past reviews on MP Trilogy, CoD4 Reflex, and even Paper Mario shows how clueless they are.
Yeah, I just saw that. And the review was like only 2 paragraphs! It really sounded like the reviewer was so upset that Activision and Daniel Craig messed up the Goldeneye 64 game that he just wrote it off without even playing it!

Also, it's odd they gave Blood Stone a 7.5 and said that Bizarre nails the Bond franchise. Such a huge contrast from IGN!

Nemesis_

Just finished playing a bit, my import arrived early this morning, but I've been studying all day. =(

I played up until the Facility end.

• Multiple difficulty levels. All difficulties have all objectives. Higher difficulty = more objectives must be completed.
  • It's possible to complete a level without completing objectives and consequently failing
  • Time Trials unlocked for each level upon completion
  • Failing objectives but completing levels lets players continue on lowest difficulty setting if they wish
  • Objectives so far seem boring. They are all ones that you just scan with your smartphone.
  • Objectives are not placed in linear fashion.
  • Multiple paths throughout levels. Developers have created environments to accomodate different play styles.
  • Voice acting is superb
  • Pointer controls are manageably but I prefer Classic Controller Pro.
  • Presentation is, on a whole, excellent.
  • The game generally does what "should've" been done with the original, but the original couldn't due to technical difficulties
  • The atmosphere in the Facility is amazing. It actually feels like a facility, if that makes sense.
  • The Dam level was completed in 22 minutes on hardest difficulty
  • There is a 007 classic mode, which allows players to not regenerate health, akin to the original.
  • CUTSCENES ARE NOT SKIPPABLE ON REPLAYS OF MISSIONS but I have yet to see if they are skippable on the Time Trials.

That's all for now. I need sleep. T_T

CUTSCENES ARE NOT SKIPPABLE ON REPLAYS OF MISSIONS

10dgp6c.jpg

LM4sure

Banned
This game is out today?! And it is actually good?! Completely missed that fact! I have class tonight but will definitely pick this up and spend some quality time with it this weekend.

Is there online play? Does the Wii still use those stupid friend codes? Sorry, I'm so out of the loop.

Lkr

LM4sure said:
This game is out today?! And it is actually good?! Completely missed that fact! I have class tonight but will definitely pick this up and spend some quality time with it this weekend.

Is there online play? Does the Wii still use those stupid friend codes? Sorry, I'm so out of the loop.
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

This is getting pretty darn good scores. Looks like it will average 85-90, gotta say I'm happy that I risked using my Amazon credit on the Golden Controller bundle! :D :D :D

It's funny how this game is a 4-year late to the party for FPS gamers that have no experience whatsoever with wii pointer shooters.

Teknoman

From the joystiq review:

The "50 dudes vs. James Bond" shoot-outs are the meat of the game, and unfortunately, that's where things get inconsistent. Occasionally, I'd be forced to shoot at the floor under an enemy or the just to the right of him for a kill. There are a few factors you can play with to try for a better result, like switching control schemes, finding a weapon with a reflexive sight or changing the placement of your Wii sensor. When things work smoothly, the feeling is quintessential Bond. When the controls start bugging out, it's infuriating -- I mean, you were pointing the gun right there.

I really dont like the sound of that. And the whole benefit (for me anyway) of playing an FPS on the Wii is usually the potentially awesome pointer/motion controls.

Can anyone else with the game comment on pointer controls?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think I've seen enough to convince me to buy it. I'm wondering what GB will think about it. They seemed pretty down on it at first (like many, myself included) but the split screen multiplayer QL they had looked surprisingly fun (I think they were surprised too). Really, I'm just hoping the single player is good because the multiplayer seems really nice.

antonz

Fantastical said:
I think I've seen enough to convince me to buy it. I'm wondering what GB will think about it. They seemed pretty down on it at first (like many, myself included) but the split screen multiplayer QL they had looked surprisingly fun (I think they were surprised too). Really, I'm just hoping the single player is good because the multiplayer seems really nice.
GB will be an interesting review to see. They shit on the game the moment it was announced more or less.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
antonz said:
GB will be an interesting review to see. They shit on the game the moment it was announced more or less.
Yeah, I remember them on the Bombcast saying how they were perplexed that people clapped for it at E3. :lol I mean, surely they understand the power of nostalgia... and that was pure nostalgia. I don't think GB has anything against the IR pointer or anything.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So what the shit is wrong with my game? I load the game for the 1st time, i see the No Save Data warning asking me to create a game file.... and i'm stuck there. I press every damn button on my wiimote and nunchuck and nothing happen. I point at the screen and there is no pointer. WTF? My Home button still work and the Wiimote works just fine with other games & Wii menu. Did i just bought a broken game or what?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bisnic said:
So what the shit is wrong with my game? I load the game for the 1st time, i see the No Save Data warning asking me to create a game file.... and i'm stuck there. I press every damn button on my wiimote and nunchuck and nothing happen. I point at the screen and there is no pointer. WTF? My Home button still work and the Wiimote works just fine with other games & Wii menu. Did i just bought a broken game or what?
Do you have a Gamecube controller or another controller connected as the first player?

antonz said:
I'm kinda interested in it because

A) I think Ryan or Jeff mentioned in one of their commute vids that Alex might be reviewing it
B) They're going to be playing the game with Activision people for their TNT on Thursday, which will include prize giveaways. I wonder if they'll have the review up before then, because it would be hella awkward if they gave it like a 2/5 and then had people from the publisher there playing it with them.

gamingeek

Bisnic said:

Someone had this problem earlier. Do you have any GC controllers plugged into the ports on the wii? The game assumes you want to use them. Unplug them.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
EmCeeGramr said:
I'm kinda interested in it because

A) I think Ryan or Jeff mentioned in one of their commute vids that Alex might be reviewing it
B) They're going to be playing the game with Activision people for their TNT on Thursday, which will include prize giveaways. I wonder if they'll have the review up before then, because it would be hella awkward if they gave it like a 2/5 and then had people from the publisher there playing it with them.
Oh man I wish I had my Wii in my dorm. :( It would be great to play this on Thursday.

MiniDitka

Teknoman said:
From the joystiq review:

The "50 dudes vs. James Bond" shoot-outs are the meat of the game, and unfortunately, that's where things get inconsistent. Occasionally, I'd be forced to shoot at the floor under an enemy or the just to the right of him for a kill. There are a few factors you can play with to try for a better result, like switching control schemes, finding a weapon with a reflexive sight or changing the placement of your Wii sensor. When things work smoothly, the feeling is quintessential Bond. When the controls start bugging out, it's infuriating -- I mean, you were pointing the gun right there.

I really dont like the sound of that. And the whole benefit (for me anyway) of playing an FPS on the Wii is usually the potentially awesome pointer/motion controls.

Can anyone else with the game comment on pointer controls?
As I said in an earlier post the controls are good but can be skittish at times. What was mentioned in the quote you posted sounds like what I have experienced. I'm going to mess around with the settings to see if I can improve things.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
gamingeek said:
Someone had this problem earlier. Do you have any GC controllers plugged into the ports on the wii? The game assumes you want to use them. Unplug them.

I have the Wavebird wireless device connected to port 1, but the controller is turned off.

And yes that was the problem. Sigh.

Thanks, almost thought i had a broken game.

Top Bottom