• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

Hiltz

I think I will wait until Call of Duty Black Ops comes out on the Wii before making any decision on what one FPS game to buy this year for the platform, if any. The thing is, when it comes to Call of Duty game reviews, it seems really hard to trust them when they've been so hyped up. Unfortunately, having never really played a COD title before makes it even harder to determine what is right and wrong with the things reviewers say about them.

GoldenEye 007's mixed reviews already have me confused. Some say the controls are flawless while others claim it is the game's biggest issue. Some say the graphics look great while others claim it is sub-par. That kind of talk reminds me of how the new NBA Jam is. The graphics look good but not in any way that really impresses you. Gaming Nexus review of GoldenEye 007 almost seems too positive. I generally trust Craig from IGN, but I can't help but remain skeptical.

Even though I played Golden Eye 007 back on the N64 to death, I have no fanboy issues with how different the Wii game's story and gameplay are. I just want a solid, fun game that's hopefully better than the Conduit given how that's the only traditional FPS I have invested plenty of time in playing (mutliplayer is decent and the only worthwhile thing that made me keep the game).

ReyVGM

The Game Informer score seems about right considering they gave the original N64 Goldeneye a 7+ out of 10.
In that same issue, they gave Turok 2 an 8 or 9.

I can scan it if anyone wants proof.

hayejin

Damn amazon missed the UPS cutoff time and now my copies of Goldeneye and Bloodstone are delayed till tomorrow.
Must..not...watch...live..stream.....

Kad5

Hiltz said:
I think I will wait until Call of Duty Black Ops comes out on the Wii before making any decision on what one FPS game to buy this year for the platform, if any. The thing is, when it comes to Call of Duty game reviews, it seems really hard to trust them when they've been so hyped up. Unfortunately, having never really played a COD title before makes it even harder to determine what is right and wrong with the things reviewers say about them.

GoldenEye 007's mixed reviews already have me confused. Some say the controls are flawless while others claim it is the game's biggest issue. Some say the graphics look great while others claim it is sub-par. That kind of talk reminds me of how the new NBA Jam is. The graphics look good but not in any way that really impresses you. Gaming Nexus review of GoldenEye 007 almost seems too positive. I generally trust Craig from IGN, but I can't help but remain skeptical.

Even though I played Golden Eye 007 back on the N64 to death, I have no fanboy issues with how different the Wii game's story and gameplay are. I just want a solid, fun game that's hopefully better than the Conduit given how that's the only traditional FPS I have invested plenty of time in playing (mutliplayer is decent and the only worthwhile thing that made me keep the game).

Keep in mind that GI is honestly the only publication that complained about the controls.

VAIL

Just got done some multi, and yeah the controls can take some adjusting and getting used to, but once you hit that stride, it's a blast.

Hiltz

My mistake. I forgot that GI was the only one that really had any issues with the controls. Anyway, given how I don't rely on GI for reviews, I'll properly dismiss them from the review table. IGN's Craig and Destructoid's Sterling are among the few reviewers I rely on but don't necessary agree with all the time. Of course, I also rely heavily on the comments of fellow GAF members for honest opinions on recently released games.

Chinner

Banned
Kenak said:
Watching the stream, this game looks more Call of Duty and less Golden Eye.
I agree that it is less Like Golden-Eye than it is like Goldeneye but similar to Golden_Eye in some ways.

Kenak said:

Brilliant reply!!!!!

10 points for originality.

I'm really early in the game but it feels more like Goldeneye than I thought it would.

Apath

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Brilliant reply!!!!!

10 points for originality.

I'm really early in the game but it feels more like Goldeneye than I thought it would.
Because I cannot make a comment on my genuine impressions of gameplay videos? It looks like a linear trek through levels that involve an aiming system exactly like Call of Duty's. How about you actually describe why it isn't what it first appears to be instead of being an ass?

To clarify, it doesn't look exactly like Call of Duty, but if someone hadn't told me it was Golden Eye, I think I'd be hard pressed to find similarities outside of plot.

Kenak said:
Because I cannot make a comment on my genuine impressions of gameplay videos? It looks like a linear trek through levels that involve an aiming system exactly like Call of Duty's. How about you actually describe why it isn't what it first appears to be instead of being an ass?

I've seen that comment a million times, it just is shallow and old but at least you weren't blatantly bashing it.

Of course it controls like Call of Duty, that is obvious for many reasons but the setting doesn't make it feel exactly like Call of Duty to me and that makes a big difference.

Even the multiplayer has some sense of the old game but yeah, it doesn't play quite like Rare's.

Apath

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I've seen that comment a million times, it just is shallow and old but at least you weren't blatantly bashing it.

Of course it controls like Call of Duty, that is obvious for many reasons but the setting doesn't make it feel exactly like Call of Duty to me and that makes a big difference.

Even the multiplayer has some sense of the old game but yeah, it doesn't play quite like Rare's.
Thanks =]

I'm just kind of disappointed watching these videos. Especially the satellite dish level -- it looks nothing like the original game. Not that it should be a carbon copy, but I was hoping for a wide open snow area with buildings scattered through out.

Effect

Kenak said:

Without the constant spawning of enemies until you push forward. Damn that was annoying.

Been playing the The Dam level and I agree certain areas are darker then I'd like but it's a lot fun. I need to tweak the controls more to my liking before I go online though. A heads up about that. Whatever you name your profile will be your online name. Didn't realize that at first but started looking through the rankings and saw some with their first names. Decided to go with that myself in the end as it's unique enough. Curious about the classic controller controls though so I might fool around with that tonight or maybe even break out my GameCube controller.

The game is really touchy about alerting other enemies. I was curious if enemies would noticed certain things. If you hit something when you are away from them and they aren't alerted to your presence ala Metal Gear Solid. They do. I decided to take the vent in one area instead of the door and accidentally swung my nunchuck and hit the grate. I heard the guard ask "What was that" and look in my direction and next thing I know he's calling for help and all the guards in the area converge on me. Enemies do take cover and won't stay in the same place either which is really nice. They will run back for cover if you focus fire an area. At least it seems that way to me.

I wonder if this is a case on all difficulties or if the AI increases with the change of difficulty or is it a numbers change in a areas?

KevinCow

Banned
Kad5 said:
Can you customize your character in multiplayer like in CoD?

Just curious.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same system. Level up to unlock guns and perks, then customize your loadout.

Sill4

KevinCow said:
Yeah, it's pretty much the same system. Level up to unlock guns and perks, then customize your loadout.
Well balanced?

Many weapons to choose from?

Do you have any Grey Poupon?

Did I spell that right?

Effect

Sill4 said:
Well balanced?

Many weapons to choose from?

Do you have any Grey Poupon?

Did I spell that right?

Seem to be a nice amount of weapons to pick from. Not only that but gadgets as well seem to be unlockable. You have preset roles and 5 custom slots you can setup.

I just did a Team Conflict (Team Deathmatch) game. I didn't notice any score tally during the match. There is one though in the match.

legend166

Teknoman said:
From the joystiq review:

The "50 dudes vs. James Bond" shoot-outs are the meat of the game, and unfortunately, that's where things get inconsistent. Occasionally, I'd be forced to shoot at the floor under an enemy or the just to the right of him for a kill. There are a few factors you can play with to try for a better result, like switching control schemes, finding a weapon with a reflexive sight or changing the placement of your Wii sensor. When things work smoothly, the feeling is quintessential Bond. When the controls start bugging out, it's infuriating -- I mean, you were pointing the gun right there.

I really dont like the sound of that. And the whole benefit (for me anyway) of playing an FPS on the Wii is usually the potentially awesome pointer/motion controls.

Can anyone else with the game comment on pointer controls?

I don't understand this.

Do they mean you have to physically point the the Wii remote to the side, as if it's absolute aiming? Who does that? Or do they mean you have to point the cursor to the side? Wouldn't that be a hit detection issue?

I think it's awesome how two people have run into the same problem out of the half-dozen or so that have actually started playing this game. :lol

sk3tch

Just picked it up at Target...buy 2 get 1 free! Unfortunately, for whatever reason the $69.99 version with the pack-in golden Classic Controller Pro wasn't included. I'm debating whether I should go back later and try to see if their service desk will let me exchange and pay the $20 difference...

Kad5

Effect said:
Seem to be a nice amount of weapons to pick from. Not only that but gadgets as well seem to be unlockable. You have preset roles and 5 custom slots you can setup.

I just did a Team Conflict (Team Deathmatch) game. I didn't notice any score tally during the match. There is one though in the match.

Well this sold it for me.

I was originally put off by the fact that Goldeneye had no voice chat. However, I am glad to hear that you can unlock perks for your character ala CoD.

Also, splitscreen is a plus so fuck voice chat. I'm getting this game over black ops.

Effect

Thanks. Didn't realize button 2 did that.

Those that bought it in the stores how did things look? A lot still on the shelves? Did stores (GameStop for example) say how it was selling? Not expecting big sales on day one. Wii games rarely do that but would be nice all the same.

WillyFive

Eaten By A Grue said:
Does anyone else's arms get tired aiming at the screen or am I just feeble?

I don't know, are you simply pointing at the screen, or are you actively reaching out toward the screen?

swerve

Eaten By A Grue said:
Does anyone else's arms get tired aiming at the screen or am I just feeble?

You're doing it wrong. Elbow should be rested on the couch. Only your wrist is needed for aiming, and that should be resting on your thigh.

Wii is, when it comes to pointer games, the lazy couch-slob's dream system. You don't even have to hold your hands together.

Raide

Watching the streams, looks really good but I am not sure why they felt the need to use the GoldenEye name other than the N64 heritage, could they not just make a James Bond game with another title afterwards?

Willy105 said:
I don't know, are you simply pointing at the screen, or are you actively reaching out toward the screen?

I think I have to readjust my sensor. When I rest my arm on my knee I get the red crosshairs signaling I am out of the sensor range.

swerve said:
Wii is, when it comes to pointer games, the lazy couch-slob's dream system. You don't even have to hold your hands together.
I am a PC gamer primarily, I think my arms have atrophied! I have not played my Wii since Punch-Out.

Effect

You can point at the screen with your arms out if you want but it's not needed at all. The only games I've really held out my arms for is the Wii Sports series, EA Sports Active and Red Steel 2. With Red Steel 2 it was because of the sword fighting and it was simply more fun to move my arm around. With FPS I usually have both my arms resting on my legs as I sit back or lean forward and move my wrist around a lot.

EDarkness

So is what I'm reading about the controls correct, where IR controls are pretty much an afterthought and classic controls is where it's at?

Hiltz

I wonder how well this game will sell on the Wii.

It's interesting how a late 2 year multiplatform port of Call of Duty: MW 1 can sell over 1 million copies on the Wii without any marketing effort and at the same time, be completely overshadowed by the huge marketing and highly anticipated release of Modern Warfare 2.
There's clearly a market for FPS genre on the Wii, albeit a much smaller one when compared to the 360 and PS3. It's just nice to finally see some AAA effort put into the quality of Wii exclusive FPS game that isn't an on-rails spin-off title. A shame it has taken this long given how satisying the Wii controls have proven to be for the genre. It's one thing for third-parties to take so long to do this, but the disappointing lack of effort on Nintendo's part to do it themselves is just pathetic (Metroid Prime 3 was awesome but it was an unconventional FPS).

We'll have to wait and see if the nostalgic brand power of Golden Eye 007 on the N64 will be enough to interest Wii gamers in picking up the ironically re-imaginged version of the game.

Top Bottom