• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

farnham

Banned
MYE said:
GAMEINFORMER on Metroid Prime Trilogy controls

"Aiming and panning your view with the remote is inferior in every way to the traditional scheme from the GameCube titles. Since there is no way to play with a classic or GameCube controller, you’re stuck playing good last-gen games with a gimpy waggle interface."

W

T

F

?!?!
gameinformer also 6.5d Paper Mario 2

they later explained that a game like that would not appeal to the gameinformer audience

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Stumpokapow said:
serious response:
because some things are fun for ten minutes (which are what previews are written based on) but don't hold up for many hours more (which is what post-release reactions are written based on)

cynical response:
everyone knows previews are bought and paid for

edit: ah, i see, we're going through the "we all care about reviews but any time a major outlet releases a negative review we're going to shit all over them 8.8 UNFORGIVABLE!!!!!" phase, never mind, i thought i was engaging a sincere, good faith discussion.

This is more of a discussion on how GI has a known bias against pointer controls that most other outlets believed to be outstanding. They did the same thing with both MW:REFLEX and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I think it is interesting as I normally don't pay any attention to reviews.

WillyFive

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'll be the first to trash Gameinformer but your all making assumptions on a number not a review. The review isn't even on the site.

No. We are making assumptions on other reviews they have done.

gamingeek

MYE said:

"Aiming and panning your view with the remote is inferior in every way to the traditional scheme from the GameCube titles. Since there is no way to play with a classic or GameCube controller, you’re stuck playing good last-gen games with a gimpy waggle interface."

W

T

F

?!?!

:lol

MYE

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'll be the first to trash Gameinformer but your all making assumptions on a number not a review. The review isn't even on the site.

I'm trashing GI because this score made me look back and realize that there has to be some kind of powerfull, brainwrecking shit in GI's office water coolers.

Their "opinions" on motion controls are straight out of Trolling 101.

Lkr

farnham said:
gameinformer also 6.5d Paper Mario 2

they later explained that a game like that would not appeal to the gameinformer audience
96lw75.gif

Craig is very credible with most of his reviews. Hitting 9 is making me giddy like a little schoolboy Indy!!!

Also, GI needs to get someone who knows how to play pointer-based games. If they give any credit to PS3 wand-based shooters then you know there is some bias there.

CaVaYeRo

controls are as perfect as they're in MW, if not better due to the nice gestures. So if some vg journalists aren't used to that IN 2010, it's not the game's fault. I completely refuse to play 007 with CC Pro (it works perfectly for people used to 360 joysticks ) after playing with a configured Wiimote setup.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
On the subject of review scores, I want people to know that when I review this I'll be docking a good 3 or 4 points from the total on the basis of no Famke.

I feel this is just and fair.

MYE said:

Honestly, I can get behind the 'traditional scheme is better' part of the statement.

Metroid Prime is basically a shooter which cuts out the aiming part in favor of the atrofied puzzle part that has been lost since Halo: CE made 'keep shooting asshole' the main way of thinking about shooters.

Having to aim manually may add additional challenge, but it also is a kind of cop-out from a design that tells you to get bend if you think shooters are just a matter of point & click.

That part of actual criticism aside, whomever wrote the quoted statement is obviously not able to form decent criticism.. at all.

GI Modern Warfare: Reflex review

"Someday a developer might come up with an FPS control scheme that works on the Wii. Today is not that day."

GI Metroid Prime Trilogy review

GI GoldenEye review

"Playability: Don’t bother playing this without a Classic Controller Pro"

IGN GoldenEye review

"That said, honestly, the game has some of the best Wii Remote controller support seen in a first-person shooter, and with practice it's clear that the quick and direct aiming of the Wii pointer is the true way to play this game. The Remote support is second only to The Conduit's crazy OCD level of customization, but in GoldenEye you have full input on pointer sensitivity, rotation speed, invert look, and other options, and everything you adjust is saved and applied to individual profiles that you can utilize in multiplayer."

More impressions. Okay we all know the wii limitations and no need to really harp on them. But I will say this Big blockbuster games just doesn't suit the wii. At points it looks so bad it's laughable.

But beside the wii horse power issues the game is too dark on numerous occassions in the first level I was lost didn't know where to go because it was so dark and the checkpoint indicator only gives you the general direction of where you need to go not how to get there which is a good thing if you could actually see. I'm playing on a 60 plasma with componet cables as well.

The gameplay is solid it plays as good as any fps. The classic controller (original) thumbsticks aren't as well suited as the 360's nor the PS3 for that matter but with time you get used to. Like I said in my other post playing with the Classic controller with the Goldfinger setup is the best fit for me. And anyone who has gotten used to modern FPS's. the game has that COD hold L trigger (button) and snap to the enemy feature as well. Which is really needed with the classic controller imo. Haven't tried online yet.

EatChildren said:
On the subject of review scores, I want people to know that when I review this I'll be docking a good 3 or 4 points from the total on the basis of no Famke.

No Sean Bean: bargain bin fodder.

Does someone want to copy-paste part of the IGN review? Deny them clicks, etc.

(I'm no fan of IGN, but you have to admit they get reviews of Wii games out in a timely manner. And by timely I mean pretty darn close to release date. Still no reviews for Force Unleashed II Wii...)

Disguises

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
More impressions. Okay we all know the wii limitations and no need to really harp on them. But I will say this Big blockbuster games just doesn't suit the wii. At points it looks so bad it's laughable.

But beside the wii horse power issues the game is too dark on numerous occassions in the first level I was lost didn't know where to go because it was so dark and the checkpoint indicator only gives you the general direction of where you need to go not how to get there which is a good thing if you could actually see. I'm playing on a 60 plasma with componet cables as well.

The gameplay is solid it plays as good as any fps. The classic controller (original) thumbsticks aren't as well suited as the 360's nor the PS3 for that matter but with time you get used to. Like I said in my other post playing with the Classic controller with the Goldfinger setup is the best fit for me. And anyone who has gotten used to modern FPS's. the game has that COD hold L trigger (button) and snap to the enemy feature as well. Which is really needed with the classic controller imo. Haven't tried online yet.
Sounds like you need to calibrate your TV/game properly. Check the options menu for a brightness option to get optimal settings.

Stumpokapow said:
serious response:
because some things are fun for ten minutes (which are what previews are written based on) but don't hold up for many hours more (which is what post-release reactions are written based on)

cynical response:
everyone knows previews are bought and paid for

edit: ah, i see, we're going through the "we all care about reviews but any time a major outlet releases a negative review we're going to shit all over them 8.8 UNFORGIVABLE!!!!!" phase, never mind, i thought i was engaging a sincere, good faith discussion.
Their approach to Wii games has been shown to lack credibility several times over by other posters. What are you talking about?

seady

TheMagician said:
GI Modern Warfare: Reflex review

"Someday a developer might come up with an FPS control scheme that works on the Wii. Today is not that day."

GI Metroid Prime Trilogy review

GI GoldenEye review

"Playability: Don’t bother playing this without a Classic Controller Pro"

IGN GoldenEye review

"That said, honestly, the game has some of the best Wii Remote controller support seen in a first-person shooter, and with practice it's clear that the quick and direct aiming of the Wii pointer is the true way to play this game. The Remote support is second only to The Conduit's crazy OCD level of customization, but in GoldenEye you have full input on pointer sensitivity, rotation speed, invert look, and other options, and everything you adjust is saved and applied to individual profiles that you can utilize in multiplayer."

The difference between GI editor and IGN editor is that the IGN editor is a Wii-focus editor. Craig Harris (IGN's Nintendo editor) actually learn to play around with the control, willing to do all the customization available, and have used to this relatively new kind of play style on the Wii.

Whereas the GI editor are just your regular multi-platform reviewers. He doesn't care about playing FPS on the Wii and he wouldn't care to do all these tweaking and customization to get the best experience. If it doesn't click with him the first 10 minutes (based on his traditional play style) he will just say it fails.

Mesijs

Funny how people judge reviews by their score.

I bet that if the scores would have been the other way around, everybody would find reasons to discredit the IGN editor and praise GI.

Why so pathetic?

MYE

seady said:
The difference between GI editor and IGN editor is that the IGN editor is a Wii-focus editor. Craig Harris (IGN's Nintendo editor) actually learn to play around with the control, willing to do all the customization available, and have used to this relatively new kind of play style on the Wii.

Whereas the GI editor are just your regular multi-platform reviewers. He doesn't care about playing FPS on the Wii and he wouldn't care to do all these tweaking and customization to get the best experience. If it doesn't click with him the first 10 minutes (based on his traditional play style) he will just say it fails.

Thats not an excuse.
I had to learn to do my job properly, he should too.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mesijs said:

I bet that if the scores would have been the other way around, everybody would find reasons to discredit the IGN editor and praise GI.

Why so pathetic?
Pathetic is not reading the actual posts.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mesijs said:

Why so pathetic?

Pretty much everybody criticising GI's score have directly quoted their continual asinine issues with pointer controls, which is right there in relation to GoldenEye.

Dont be surprised if people who love the pointer controls of games GI has trashed continue to ignore them.

Lkr

Mesijs said:

Why so pathetic?
The problem is there is no GI review, just a few sentences. They also give the same bitchy comments for EVERY Wii game.

I'm back with it, gonna fire her up in a minute. Almost bought the DS version on impulse, but I'll way to hear some feedback on that

MYE

Mesijs said:

Why so pathetic?

Reading is hard

edit: C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER :lol

EatChildren said:

The Wii graphics/SD would just not do her justice. I think they made the right choice.

Famke_Janssen-1-Turn_the_River.jpg

CaVaYeRo

seady said:

But he has several default sensitivity options that actually show how WELL it works. I started with the most 'advanced', then reduced the dead zone a bit and increased the turning speed, but you don't need that last step: I actually NOTICED it worked awesome when I played for the first time @ Eurocom. I'm not asking for dead zone config, but for people who know how to enjoy the incredible pointer controls.

This guy should watch someone playing Conduit, MW or GoldenEye before negatively judging something he doesn't even care about.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Drunkenthumbmaster said:

Sorry, but not. I totally this agree with that statement. Dual analog is an archaic control method (3 gens now!) and games needs to evolve pass it.

"Archaic" is a bit excessive. If 3 gens makes DA archaic Mouse/Keyboard must be positively Molding. :lol

I think pointer controls are as valid as the next guy but I also think it's just an option, not a replacement. People will always have their preferences.

It blows my mind how people can play SSF4 with the 360 D-Pad (or analog even) but they like it, and they do fine (at least at our local tourneys)

seady

I never played a four player split screen game on the Wii. How does the pointer work with a tiny screen?

Also, I disagree with people saying the dual-analog stick control is always the best. It is 'the best' only because everyone got used to it. The Wii doesn't have a lot of FPS that's why no one is bother to learn and get used to this new control style.

XPE

Lonely1 said:
Sorry, but not. I totally this agree with that statement. Dual analog is an archaic control method (3 gens now!) and games needs to evolve pass it.

He lost all credibility when he suggests that ps3 analogue sticks are good for shooters :lol

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SonOfABeep said:
"Archaic" is a bit excessive. If 3 gens makes DA archaic Mouse/Keyboard must be positively Molding. :lol

I think pointer controls are as valid as the next guy but I also think it's just an option, not a replacement. People will always have their preferences.

It blows my mind how people can play SSF4 with the 360 D-Pad (or analog even) but they like it, and they do fine (at least at our local tourneys)
Well, you can argue that the Mouse was designed from the start to efficiently point and drag stuff. While Dual analog main concern was 3D plataformers...

EatChildren

seady said:
I never played a four player split screen game on the Wii. How does the pointer work with a tiny screen?

The pointer is always relative to the sensor bar. It doesnt matter how far away you sit, how big your television, or how split the screen is. You simply play it as if you were playing single player.

Whenever you're aiming with the pointer in a Wii game you're never aiming at the screen. The screen has nothing to do with anything.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
seady said:
There might be some visual issues, but in terms of actual aiming you'll be just fine, since its all relative.

EDIT: EatChildren put it better.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Drunkenthumbmaster said:
LOL dude I've been on this board since it was still part of Gaming age lol.
Yet you only have 57 posts? Did your last account get banned, or did you take your time making a new account when the gaming age board went down. Should we recognize you?

Lonely1 said:

It's a preference I tried with the wii pointer and it was all over the place. Now I didn't go into the options and try and tweak it. But for default settings I felt it was unplayable. Even the IGN review says to tweak the controls.

And no dual analogue shooter aren't 3 gens in Halo CE was the first Dual Analogue shooter it's the game that created the control scheme for the Modern FPS. Go back and play James Bond Agent under fire if you want to play a FPS that doesn't use dual anlogue controls at the default.

Drkirby said:
Yet you only have 57 posts? Did your last account get banned, or did you take your time making a new account when the gaming age board went down.

Switched accounts got a new PC and forgot old log in info. Even If I would have kept that account would probably still be under a hundred though I spend more time playing games than talking about them. I do lurk a lot though. Still don't understant what that has to do with anything for the record I"ve been play FPS since the original Quake on a 28k modem. Old veteran of the Quake and Unreal wars.

EatChildren

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
And no dual analogue shooter aren't 3 gens in Halo CE was the first Dual Analogue shooter it's the game that created the control scheme for the Modern FPS. Go back and play James Bond Agent under fire if you want to play a FPS that doesn't use dual anlogue controls at the default.

Well, technically Perfect Dark (and maybe GoldenEye?) allowed players to use two N64 control pads at once for the first dual analogue shooting. It just wasn't a standard.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Drunkenthumbmaster said:
It's a preference I tried with the wii pointer and it was all over the place. Now I didn't go into the options and try and tweak it. But for default settings I felt it was unplayable. Even the IGN review says to tweak the controls.

And no dual analogue shooter aren't 3 gens in Halo CE was the first Dual Analogue shooter it's the game that created the control scheme for the Modern FPS. Go back and play James Bond Agent under fire if you want to play a FPS that doesn't use dual analogue controls at the default.
I'm not doubting your preference for dual analog (or inability to adjust to IR aiming), but to state that "anyone who has gotten used to modern FPS" should feel the same is just wrong. And while Halo CE indeed setup the benchmark for console FPSes, the dual analog setup has existed for 3 Gens now.

StevieP

Banned
Drunkenthumbmaster said:

It's 2010. We shouldn't be playing shooters with dual analog at this stage. Give me a pointer. I don't care which technology drives this pointer, just that it's not a (completely-unrealistic) turret-aiming system otherwise known as dual-analog.

Lkr

EatChildren said:
Well, technically Perfect Dark (and maybe GoldenEye?) allowed players to use two N64 control pads at once for the first dual analogue shooting. It just wasn't a standard.
how in the hell are you supposed to hold them and even then, use buttons?:lol

EatChildren said:
Goldeneye had that option.

It also had sort of dual analog, except one of the analogs was the C buttons. Basically the same idea, just buttons instead of a stick.

Turok, from what I've played, had a pretty crazy set up

EatChildren

Lkr said:
how in the hell are you supposed to hold them and even then, use buttons?:lol

Holding was easy as your hand was holding the middle stick, so the weight was nicely balanced. The buttons? Yeah, that was a big problem :lol.

It was clearly more of an experimental control scheme than the primary setup you were supposed to play the game with, but it was still basically the birth of dual analogue.

Apath

balladofwindfishes said:
Goldeneye had that option.

It also had sort of dual analog, except one of the analogs was the C buttons. Basically the same idea, just buttons instead of a stick.

Turok, from what I've played, had a pretty crazy set up
Turok was awesome back in the day. I remembered "The Big Cheat" for almost a decade after I stopped playing my N64 :D

Threi said:
wait what?

If not Halo who????

OH god flashback of old Halo vs Goldeneye arguments. Anyway Like i said I didn't fool with the wii remote options. So maybe It can be tweaked at the default settings though I don't like. The default classic controllers settings aren't much better either Goldfinger setup was ideal for me.

Does the game allow fine tuning pointer controls(bounding box, turning speed ect.) or is it just presets? Voice chat is out, I'm aware. Is there any way to communicate at all? An on-screen keyboard wouldn't work during a match but at least people could talk to each other between matches. Sorry in advance if these have been answered already. I'm might run some errands soon and was considering if I should pick this up.

Top Bottom