• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

gamingeek

jufonuk said:
Amazon uk havent shipped my preorder yet wtf?? hope i get an email saying it's shipped soon

Last time I ordered from amazon they didn't send the dispatched email they usually do but it still came on launch day.

So, I should have written impressions earlier when I still had them fresh in my mind but I'll try and remember.

Have you played Dead Space Extraction or seen it in video form? This game has all of that first person performance capture and high production values, only it's not excessive and the gameplay is non-linear.

I played up to the end of the facility level and once you get past the opening area which reminds you of the N64, everything is different. This is a whole new design, not some cash in or some attempt to blatantly copy the level design of the N64 game. And importantly it retains the Bond feeling. I think the game out does COD in the single player. I thanks to a few tweaks here and there, AI, weapons etc.

So despite the game ripping many COD staples like vaulting over objects and running and various indicators and ADS, the tweaks applied here make the game a better single player shooter. Bad guys are not fodder here, you can't just wipe out someone with a couple of shots, some guards for instance will take 4 or 5 pistol bullets before they are put down and Bond is much more resilient than your avatar in the COD games. You wont see a respawned enemy popping through a doorway and putting you down in miliseconds. Bond also seems much more agile, you can leap off walkways and a whole host of other things, making the gameplay feel much more visceral and sometimes tactical in the way you can approach battles.

The AI has brains. Actual brains. The game doesn't mask threadbare gameplay by trying to overload your senses with wave after wave of respawning AI that run towards you or just stand there and shoot. Here the bad guys will run back for cover, they will sometimes run towards it and slide behind cover, or do little N64 like tactical rolls. They will stick to a safe cover spot if you find one. They will run towards you and shoot you close up if they think they have the advantage. There was one bit where I was in this room behind a printer taking fire. I ran up to a glass wall and melee'd it, it shattered and I ran out the exit I had created. I liked that a lot.

There is also a decent cover system, which is descructible and crumbles under fire. You can also do the same to an enemies cover. When you go into ADS when crouched behind cover, Bond pops up just at the right height for you to fire back without losing your tactical advantage.

Also, crucially, it feels like Goldeneye and you can stealthily creep about and snipe bad guys. This is Bond and when not partaking in bombastic firefights you can stealthily move about the levels and snipe people with your silenced pistol, use thermal scopes to pick off unsuspecting enemies and even approach from behind and perform all sorts of motion captured techniques to knock out bad guys.

The two levels I have played so far are large too, so many shooters on the wii have a limited scope, but the real estate on display here is girthy and substantial. Not just for show either, there are multiple paths and approaches you can take, I can already see myself replaying each level several times over to try out different things.

The visuals look really good most of the time, when they use volumetric fog or weather effects, coupled with moody lighting and motion capture. When those things aren't being used it can look fairly flat in places with some bland textures here and there. There are occasional frame dips, but nothing that should concern you.

The controls are good, the defaults aren't great though so you will have to tweak to get it to your liking. When you do it matches COD REFLEX for controls other than the camera lock feature

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
VGChampion said:
So I decided to Redbox the game as I didn't feel like spending the $50. I got to say, I like and dislike the game. I really like the atmosphere and CoD feel it has but the controls I'm still fighting at times using the Gamecube controller.

Then don't use the gimped control scheme?

Just beat the game. Overall I liked it.

Defending Natalya and then fighting 006 wasn't fun though. Would rather more chasing.

I'm glad I rented it as I tried the multiplayer and as I suspected, it won't last for me but the SP is worth a price of admission. I definitely like the more cinematic approach.

SS4Gogita said:
Then don't use the gimped control scheme?

Played the first few levels with the Wii remote. I'm usually fine with it but just didn't like it in this game. Switched to the Gamecube controller and had a blast. Still didn't think I had enough control compared to other FPS games but it didn't hinder my SP experience.

cowden_harley said:

Played it with the Perfect Shot Gun. Pretty fun, but the most intuitive button scheme requires you to hit the + button for a takedown. Nevertheless, still kinda fun if you want to mix your lightgun with your fps.

Well, thanks very much GAF, I read yesterday this thread, and when I went to a friend's store to get Super Scribblenauts I saw the box with the golden controller and couldnt resist.

I hope is as good in singleplayer as all of you are saying.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Well, thanks very much GAF, I read yesterday this thread, and when I went to a friend's store to get Super Scribblenauts I saw the box with the golden controller and couldnt resist.

I hope is as good in singleplayer as all of you are saying.
It seems to me to be a very fine entry to the bond experience.

hort22

Mr. Snrub said:
I really want to buy this. Anyone know if this covered under Amazon's buy 2 get 1 free deal?

dont think so at amazon...but target ads this week have the buy 2 get 1 free and a picture of goldeneye on the cover of the ad.

so is this game true 16:9 widescreen or am i stretching the image out if i play on my lcd?

is everyone else in here playing on lcd's or plasma's?

markot

Banned
And I was sure this game was gonna be awful >.<

Still, the lack of Pierce and addition of Craig hurts imo... Honestly, if Pierce was in it I would be much more tempted to buy it...

KevinCow

Banned
hort22 said:
so is this game true 16:9 widescreen or am i stretching the image out if i play on my lcd?

is everyone else in here playing on lcd's or plasma's?

If you have your Wii set to widescreen, it'll be widescreen.

jlevel13 said:
Yeah - the game can output in 16:9 widescreen just fine & should fill the entire screen of a 16:9 TV. Maybe your Wii isn't set to widescreen or your tv isn't. Check your Wii settings and make sure your TV is set to 16:9
The Wii is set to widescreen and I'm sure my TV is set to 16:9. I didn't have this problem when playing Kirby.

leng jai

Wow, pleasantly surprised by this game. I'll happily admit that I bought this game purely for nostalgia and the golden controller (which is a nice bit of kit). I won't lie, my expectations when it comes to third party Wii games are pretty much nought.

Firstly, the game looks and sounds excellent for a Wii title. Clearly the Wii struggles with this title as the framerate fluctuates below 30fps a lot. The audio surprised me a lot, with some stellar attention to detail and good dynamics. the shooting mechanic is very satisfiying, especially when it comes to head shots. The level design is great and I'm happy they didn't simply remake the original N64 levels. Voice acting is solid but I do wish they had kept Pierce Brosnan.

The more I enjoy this game the more I lust for a HD version as it was clear a huge amount of effort was put into the game.

one_kill

I don't get it when the phone icon pops up. I know at times you have to hack into things, but sometimes I can't find what to use the phone for. Could anyone enlighten me what to look for apart from things to hack?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Neat.

I've been following this one from the start, good to see that it turned out well. I got a little too much on my plate at the moment but I'll try to pick up a copy by the end of the year. I'll have to pop my Wii online cherry if we get some GAF games going.

KevinCow

Banned
one_kill said:
I don't get it when the phone icon pops up. I know at times you have to hack into things, but sometimes I can't find what to use the phone for. Could anyone enlighten me what to look for apart from things to hack?

Taking pictures. Just pull up the phone and look around until you see the white squares - they should show up even if you're too far away or there are walls obscuring your view.

Just played the dam and saw the intro. HOLY GOD this is awesome. I really had lot of fun p`laying the first mission, and the intro song form the movie suprised me.

And I have to say, what a superb spanish dub, using the official voice actors of Daniel Craig and Judi Dench of the spanish movie versions. I gladly pay the 10 euros more that wii third party games usually cost with this type of details.

Colour me impress. Need to sleep now, but its a pleasant surprise. Good job eurocom!

CaVaYeRo

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Just played the dam and saw the intro. HOLY GOD this is awesome. I really had lot of fun p`laying the first mission, and the intro song form the movie suprised me.

And I have to say, what a superb spanish dub, using the official voice actors of Daniel Craig and Judi Dench of the spanish movie versions. I gladly pay the 10 euros more that wii third party games usually cost with this type of details.

Colour me impress. Need to sleep now, but its a pleasant surprise. Good job eurocom!

QFT!

However, I'm having big issues with online MP today :S

it was laggy and and the game froze twice, having to restart the Wii... I wasn't having any problem the other day. Furthermore, I don't know how to create matches or select characters, and this doesn't sound very well.

Don't get me wrong, I completely LOVE the game, the gorgeous campaign, the local MP... but now I'm feeling bad for this. Any advice?

EDIT: And do we have an online thread for FCs, matches, etc for this game?

one_kill

Had my first mutliplayer match and it's pretty good I think. I still need to learn a lot since this is the first time I've played with a dual analoge controller.

dwebo

Played the first level on Agent. I got to the end where it helpfully tells me I never bothered to do the secondary objective and to go suck in an easier difficulty. Well, yeah, I was expecting you to point me there if you were going to make it mandatory! :lol

Messed around with the pointer settings for a good while, but couldn't find any combination that I liked. CCpro with the sensitivity turned up was much more enjoyable for me, and I generally hate playing shooters on dual analogs.

jlevel13

Got my first Golden Gun win by just one point by throwing out a grenade as I died. One of the more satisfying/fun/intense multiplayer matches I've ever had.

I've had some matches, not with lag, but with horrible framerates when the action across the map gets too hectic I think. It's disappointing, I mean, we're talking patches where the game is running at maybe 10 FPS. Luckily for the vast majority of the time it seems to go smooth enough though.

It's a little annoying that every time you go to multiplayer it defaults to region selection off and I have to remember to turn it back on - it's weird since the game seems to save all your other settings except for that.

I was doing okay with the pointer controls, but picked up a classic controller pro today to try it out, and must say, I find the game much more enjoyable and relaxing to play with the dual analogue sticks and the button layout on the traditional control. My results in regards to k/d seems to be about the same with either scheme, so I'll be sticking with the CCP.

RobbieNick

The game won't play for me at all. Whenever I got to play it, it asks if I want to create a save file. Neither pressing A or B works! Up and down on either joystick or D-Pad seem to work either. This does not effect Home button or when I go to Wii menu. HEEEELP!

jlevel13

RobbieNick said:
The game won't play for me at all. Whenever I got to play it, it asks if I want to create a save file. Neither pressing A or B works! Up and down on either joystick or D-Pad seem to work either. This does not effect Home button or when I go to Wii menu. HEEEELP!

probably need to unplug your gamecube controller.

pulga

Banned
Wait, this game turned out good? Guess imma have to get it.

And whats this about a 2X1 deal at Amazon?

antonz

pulga said:
Wait, this game turned out good? Guess imma have to get it.

And whats this about a 2X1 deal at Amazon?

Amazon does not have Goldeneye for the buy 2 get 1 deal but if you have a Target near you they have the same deal and Goldeneye is included in it

KevinCow

Banned
doctordoak said:
Question: if playing with a gamecube controller, are there alt stick options? Like "legacy"?

Yes, legacy is in the game. They even call it legacy.

You're not in it though. :(

antonz said:
Amazon does not have Goldeneye for the buy 2 get 1 deal but if you have a Target near you they have the same deal and Goldeneye is included in it
It does have it, I just bought it today using the deal.

I have no idea if it shows up in their list, but if you add it to your cart with a couple of other games, when you do the checkout, it will work.

antonz

BatiGOOOOOOL said:

I have no idea if it shows up in their list, but if you add it to your cart with a couple of other games, when you do the checkout, it will work.

Ahh ok crazy that must be a not intended thing since it wasnt on the list of games for the deal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RobbieNick said:
YES!! Thank you! (Funny. Never had that problem before.)

People don't play enough third party Wii games.

Nintendo's stuff almost always defaults to Wii remotes, everything else seems to check for GCN controllers first and assumes if you have one plugged in that you want to use that.

Also of note: If the Wii is in standby mode Wavebird receivers will work if you turn on a wavebird.

madmook

BatiGOOOOOOL said:

Holy crap it shows up on the list now!! Yessssss, let's see: GE, Kirby, ...

Nemesis_

Cow Mengde said:
Wait, these guys made Nightfire? Didn't Nightfire run at 60fps on the Gamecube?

As far as I'm aware, the PC version was done by Gearbox and Eurocom did the PS2 and Gamecube versions. I can't remember the Gamecube versions much, but part of it I do remember being 60fps.

So yes. =P

You're not in it though. :(

I told myself that the scientist Bond has a confrontation with in Facility is actually Dr. Doak. >_>

KevinCow

Banned
This game has some really nice sound design. Shooting people is really satisfying, whether it's a regular shot or a stealth headshot.

Nemesis_

KevinCow said:
This game has some really nice sound design. Shooting people is really satisfying, whether it's a regular shot or a stealth headshot.

I love the kind of virtual "deep gasp" that happens betwene being seen and you cleaning up the person seeing you. It adds so much to the stealth element.

Top Bottom