• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

Nemesis_

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah, I saw a couple of commercials.

At least Activision is promoting it instead of quietly killing it off like Singularity. But Bloodstone is being ignored. :(

From what I've read / seen, Blood Stone deserves to be ignored. >_>

Just beat the game. Fantastic singleplayer. My only gripe is occasional framerate dips, and not enough boss fights. Otherwise, I absolutely loved it.

Volcynika

I'm using the CC Pro, mostly because I do not have a steady hand for the most part, so my aiming tends to suck. I'm still getting used to the controls though, didn't look at how much customization the game gives me on it yet.

evangd007

Is it just me or is Black Box mode horribly imbalanced in favor of the download-the-data team? That thing takes forever to kill.

KevinCow

Banned
AmericanNinja said:
I haven't been following this much but what is the best way to play this game wiimote or classic controller?

Whichever control scheme you enjoy using more. They have almost identical functionality. Only difference is the ability to lean out of cover with the Wiimote setup, but that's honestly not all that useful.

Effect

Surprised I'm finding myself playing online more then the single player. Still on mission 2 but already up to level 7 online. With the constant good reviews I hope Activision takes this as a sign they should push the game more. It's clearly a very high quality product.

boiled goose

good with gravy
KevinCow said:
Whichever control scheme you enjoy using more. They have almost identical functionality. Only difference is the ability to lean out of cover with the Wiimote setup, but that's honestly not all that useful.

havent tried the pointer in goldeneye, but if it is a good implementation, pointer all the way.

Nemesis_

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Maybe, but Singularity didn't deserve to be ignored. :(

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that. I loved Singularity (except Multiplayer was retardedly off balance). Surprise of the year for me to be honest.

I Push Fat Kids said:
I already have the CC pro from Monster Hunter... Is it worth it to get the Gold one? Either way, I'm picking this up.

It's literally just a different colour. That's it. =/

Nemesis_

I Push Fat Kids said:
Is that the only extra in the 'LE' edition?

I like it but I just want to play the game.

I believe there is also a code inside that unlocks CLASSIC CONFLICT mode. Or something to that effect. Usually, Classic Conflict requries getting your player to ~Level 35 in game. So depends really.

I can't comment on the packaging though, maybe someone else can?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ok Monies have gone out of my acocunt to the rough amount of GE and CoD BO, so hopefully GoldenEye will arrive today or tomorrow, or this it the work of a precise Nigerian Bank Scammer! :p

Edit got invisibilty Codes in my email, game must be shipping soon, be seeing you online (or not ;) )

Mael

Well started yesterday....
All I can say is that it's indeed looking closer to CoD than my comfort zone would allow....
I had great fears that they'd put the game in Rambo mode ala CoD (or at least what I played from it....not much) but they managed to put the game in the same frame as the original.
I mean that you can actually sneak in and when you fail you're actually punished with Rambo sequence :D
Technically it's really good, except for the people in the entrance of the nightclub who are downright horrible.

Couldn't try online as my web connexion is in limbo land for a few days.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Holy shit this game is good?
And Blood Stone is bad? :-/ Poor Bizarre.

Well then, Eurocom guys add +1 sale from Jersey-based online shops! :D

swerve

EDarkness said:
I think good word of mouth is gonna help the game along. Good to see.

Definitely. All the talk of a fun, solid single player has sold me, and just three days ago I thought this game was one of the most horrible ideas of the year. Will buy today.

Mael

Oh yeah, there's also something this game do that is a pain :
In Tcon when you're customising the controls you can test while you're messing with the settings (you don't have to go out of the menu and bla).
In this game, you fiddle with the settings, wonder what is the problem go back in the menu....
Kind of a bother really.
But to be fair that's something HVS did that was absolutely stellar (and heck even reason enough to try that game)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EDarkness said:

that is until black ops comes along and steals bonds thunder, would be interesting to see which sells more of the xmas Period

CaVaYeRo

Effect said:
Surprised I'm finding myself playing online more then the single player. Still on mission 2 but already up to level 7 online. With the constant good reviews I hope Activision takes this as a sign they should push the game more. It's clearly a very high quality product.

Hmmm, an online expert :D What would you say of this?

CaVaYeRo said:
QFT!

However, I'm having big issues with online MP today :S

it was laggy and and the game froze twice, having to restart the Wii... I wasn't having any problem the other day. Furthermore, I don't know how to create matches or select characters, and this doesn't sound very well.

Don't get me wrong, I completely LOVE the game, the gorgeous campaign, the local MP... but now I'm feeling bad for this. Any advice?

EDIT: And do we have an online thread for FCs, matches, etc for this game?

BTW, embargo's been lifted. Here's my review in Spanish.

This game has been awesome so far. My only gripe would be no local multiayer through the story mode and two local players can't play online together.

Other than that, impressive!

Mael

Incitemaybe said:
This game has been awesome so far. My only gripe would be no local multiayer through the story mode and two local players can't play online together.

Other than that, impressive!

Actually the game would have been more awesome with an alternate co op mode with 006 and 007 or a counter operative mode ala perfect dark...
but yeah wasted opportunity I guess, I'll see this weekend if it's better than nsmbw for a party :D
Loving the single player already

EDarkness said:

I really hope this is the case. This product needs to be support. I want to see more Bond games like this. I'm just afraid Black Ops will stop that from happening.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Got some 2 player split screen action going tonight, and had a blast. Really fun stuff, and I love all the

I really dont like the load-outs though. They should have had weapons laying around the map.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EatChildren said:
Got some 2 player split screen action going tonight, and had a blast. Really fun stuff, and I love all the

I really dont like the load-outs though. They should have had weapons laying around the map.
maybe thats an unlock at a certain level some kind of old school mode

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jufonuk said:
maybe thats an unlock at a certain level some kind of old school mode

I was hoping for that, but it already lists 'Invisibility' as locked, so I figure if it were there it would show up.

Oh, and Time Trials dont seem to unlock anything. I finished the Tank level to see if there were any rewards, and nope. Pretty bummed about that.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
didnt they make a big deal about modifiiers etc, how this had the spirit of the original?

if they missed that out, that is a big screw up...

they should old school online mode no health recharge weapons pick-up and armour...I hope they do

EDIT EuroGamer game this 7/10

EatChildren

Yeah, I really like the modifiers, but split-screen is missing a 'classic' mode. Regen health + weapon loadouts is not how I remember GoldenEye, Eurocom.

Unless I'm missing an option somewhere.

Mael

EatChildren said:
Yeah, I really like the modifiers, but split-screen is missing a 'classic' mode. Regen health + weapon loadouts is not how I remember GoldenEye, Eurocom.

Unless I'm missing an option somewhere.

There's a classic code unlock that you can unlock at level 35 says Gfaqs but I don't what it is though.
I'm pretty bummed about the loadout and no wpns laying around, finding wpns was half the fun!

EatChildren

Mael said:
There's a classic code unlock that you can unlock at level 35 says Gfaqs but I don't what it is though.
I'm pretty bummed about the loadout and no wpns laying around, finding wpns was half the fun!

I think that Classic Conflict mode is just for online though. You can see it on the menu in online, but its locked until you reach the right level. In split-screen there's only three game modes and the modifiers, and the only locked modifier appears to be Invisibility.

thefro

Mael said:

Yeah, that's a disappointment. I wouldn't think it'd be too much work to have a "Classic" mode with no regenerating health and armor and weapon drops on the map in various locations.

Have a 5 weapon loadout that can be customized (with some defaults based on the classic ones from the N64 game) and let the players carry 5 weapons in that mode.

Mael

EatChildren said:
I think that Classic Conflict mode is just for online though. You can see it on the menu in online, but its locked until you reach the right level. In split-screen there's only three game modes and the modifiers, and the only locked modifier appears to be Invisibility.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

That's a huge oversight! It's not Goldeneye if you can't put proxi mines on weapons and crates!

thefro said:
Yeah, that's a disappointment. I wouldn't think it'd be too much work to have a "Classic" mode with no regenerating health and armor and weapon drops on the map in various locations.

Have a 5 weapon loadout that can be customized (with some defaults based on the classic ones from the N64 game) and let the players carry 5 weapons in that mode.

Problem with customizing the wpns placements is that it requires extensive testing so it's not ideal (for them) but a set of wpns like in the original would have been awesome!
Heck in local it's really CoD and not Goldeneye anymore ;_;

gamingeek

Played more Goldeneye.

Hmmm, the nightclub level was pretty meh.

I now know what reviewers mean when they say the visuals are inconsistent. I'm not sure whether it's just the art of certain bland areas. Like a generic kitchen or a club corridor with purple carpeting. But in these sections it looks very PS2 like or worse with bad texture work.

The level is saved by the intelligent, aggressive AI and the controls. The gun models though are awfully low res when you zoom into ADS mode. In fact the guns in COD REFLEX are better. There are also lots of machine guns here that all feel the same to use, there is almost no point in swapping out one for the other unless it has a better reflex sight.

The frigate levels starts off on this cruise ship in this boring showroom, I was concerned it would follow on from the nightclub in being another bland looking boring level but you eventually get off the cruise ship and dive into the frigate. The graphics are back to great and the gameplay settles back down to stealth and attack mechanics. Good stuff. I hope the next few levels are more like the Dam and Facility than the club.

One thing that annoys me is the smartphone. You are suppossed to locate specific spots to scan like in Metroid Prime. You get this smartphone indicator when you are near something, but you can't actually move the smartphone about as easily as you can scan in say Metroid Prime. So it feels like you are rooted to the spot when you pull out the device. You are suppossed to look for these tiny little blue lights but they are often hard to spot. Thankfully you can clear out a room of bad guys and then look for what you need but I haven't bothered, just kept on shooting

GC|Simon

Just saw the credits:
James Bond will return! Hopefully on Wii or Wii 2

Great game, really. Best ego-shooter on Wii and best ego-shooter I've played in the last couple of years. Some may say now: "Dude, never played [insert best CoD game]?". But James Bond has a very classic style of gameplay. James Bond has an agent setting. This is exactly what I want. GoldenEye Wii is clearly a worthy successor to one of the best games ever.

farnham

Banned
GC|Simon said:
Just saw the credits:
James Bond will return! Hopefully on Wii or Wii 2

Great game, really. Best ego-shooter on Wii and best ego-shooter I've played in the last couple of years. Some may say now: "Dude, never played [insert best CoD game]?". But James Bond has a very classic style of gameplay. James Bond has an agent setting. This is exactly what I want. GoldenEye Wii is clearly a worthy successor to one of the best games ever.
are you simon from gameone ? just asking

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Cow Mengde said:
Wait, these guys made Nightfire? Didn't Nightfire run at 60fps on the Gamecube?
I wouldn't be surprised. Nightfire felt way smoother than this.

I almost prefer to play Nightfire instead, but I'll play more before deciding that.

EatChildren

gamingeek said:
Hmmm, the nightclub level was pretty meh.

I now know what reviewers mean when they say the visuals are inconsistent. I'm not sure whether it's just the art of certain bland areas. Like a generic kitchen or a club corridor with purple carpeting. But in these sections it looks very PS2 like or worse with bad texture work.

I really liked the Nighclub. I can see why others didnt, and the graphical tricks it used were blatantly obvious, but I just let it go and absorbed myself into the mood of the level. I loved the silhouetted dancers, the neon lights, the smoke, and the way the treble of the music would filter out as the sound boomed through the walls.

I also felt it fit Craig's Bond perfectly.

Just got it today too and that's where I'm up to... I enjoyed the club level though. I thought the music and visuals were pretty damn good, loved the audio effects in the club - entering to "I remember", seeing dancers sillhouetted in mist and nice lights... yeah the face-scanning smartphone section there wasn't a great idea, and you couldn't explore the club fully, but I thought it was a nice change of pace and nicely done. I liked the second part of the club where that old jazz song kicked in while you were killing people -- it sounded very Bond.

Thought the arms fair introduction to Frigate was awesome!

radcliff

I got the game and would love to play it. However, the game either fails to load or crashes sometime during the first level. I will exchenge tonight and hopefully get some gametime in this weekend.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Played up to the Statue Park yesterday, the game is still as fun, but i hate how the music seems to get very repetitive sometimes. I swear i heard the same music replay itself all the time in different levels. I think it's the music that only plays when you alert guards.

I need to be more of a spy i guess. :lol

On the subject of the soundtrack, while I understand why people loved the old Rare soundtrack, the Rare soundtrack sounded the way it did because it was mimicking Eric Serra's style for the actual movie soundtrack. That too sounded very industrial.

I personally think the David Arnold stuff in this game is really really good... but as the above poster says, its an interactive soundtrack - so if you are always causing reinforcements you will always hear the alert tune(s). I'm tempted to tune down the SFX so I can hear more of the music, there are parts where I've thought - this really sounds cool. Its one of many things in this game that help it feel more like a secret agent game than a run and gun FPS.

Top Bottom