• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

gamingeek

EatChildren said:
I really liked the Nighclub. I can see why others didnt, and the graphical tricks it used were blatantly obvious, but I just let it go and absorbed myself into the mood of the level. I loved the silhouetted dancers, the neon lights, the smoke, and the way the treble of the music would filter out as the sound boomed through the walls.

I also felt it fit Craig's Bond perfectly.

I loved the silhouetted dancers and the music. Just the level itself you sort of wander about and there are lots of invisible walls masked as dancers, you amble about get out your smartphone, have an uninspiring meeting with Zukofsky and then all hell breaks loose. Up to this level, GE had been stealth and a fairly open approach in the way the levels were designed, facility and dam were hugely impressive to me. Here it was just try and survive. And there are some really low poly walls and objects on this level, so it looked fairly ugly at times.

BTW, do you ever get to use grenades in this game? The bad guys throw them at me, but I haven't seemed to pick any up at any point.

GC|Simon

farnham said:
are you simon from gameone ? just asking

I'm sorry, I'm not Simon from Gameone. However, I'ld love to be him :D

Edit: @ gamingeek: I never got a grenade during singeplayer campaign. However, they are available in mutliplayer.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
gamingeek said:
I loved the silhouetted dancers and the music. Just the level itself you sort of wander about and there are lots of invisible walls masked as dancers, you amble about get out your smartphone, have an uninspiring meeting with Zukofsky and then all hell breaks loose. Up to this level, GE had been stealth and a fairly open approach in the way the levels were designed, facility and dam were hugely impressive to me. Here it was just try and survive. And there are some really low poly walls and objects on this level, so it looked fairly ugly at times.

I pretty much felt that way about Airstrip, or whatever it is after Facility, which was my least favourite level in the whole game, so I quite enjoyed the change of pace with the nightclub.

BTW, do you ever get to use grenades in this game? The bad guys throw them at me, but I haven't seemed to pick any up at any point.

I dont ever remember picking them up. You do find guns with noob tubes attached to the bottom though.

DSmalls84

gamingeek said:

I finished it on operative and never found any grenades except the guns that came with with a grenade attachment.

Mael

yep the nightclub is not exactly the best level, heck I wondered at first how you could even do a fps level in that one considering the dancers and all :lol
I liked the trick they used for the dancers, the problem were more the very law poly characters and the environments :/

Effect

CaVaYeRo said:
Hmmm, an online expert :D What would you say of this?

BTW, embargo's been lifted. Here's my review in Spanish.

I have heard some saying they have lag online but I have only experienced it once and I think it was mainly due to the host as they dropped soon after and the game had to do a search for a new one. I'm using a DSL connection so while not as fast I wished it's working pretty well. I think it might be slowing down the matching but not sure. Like anything if someone else is using the connection in the house I'm sure that would produced a nice bit of lag so thankfully no one is doing anything to intensive at the times I play. During matches outside of that one event things have been very smooth. The test came for me last night during a Hero mode match where for some reason everyone thought it was a good idea to just lob grenades at the same time. That was interesting to experience. Yet nothing happen that shouldn't have.

My favorite modes have to be Hero (seems to have the highest score total needed to end the game I believe), Team Conflict, and Black Box. Black Box does favor the downloading team I agree due to how long it takes to destroy the damn thing vs downloading the data. It's so easy to be killed doing so since it takes focus fire to really bring it's health down within any reasonable about of time. That unfortunately leaves you and your entire team open to be taken out by a single person if need be.

Need to finish that Nightclub level tonight. Might have to restart it as ammo is an issue now and haven't personally found any way to really stealth that level. That level is great in multiplayer but hard for me during the single player.

Nemesis_

I loved the conversation between Bond and Xenia in that level too. The lines from Bond were something you'd expect and I liked how they threw in the "pleasure" line to make you realise it was Xenia.

Awesome stuff.

gamingeek

EatChildren said:
I pretty much felt that way about Airstrip, or whatever it is after Facility, which was my least favourite level in the whole game, so I quite enjoyed the change of pace with the nightclub.

I dont ever remember picking them up. You do find guns with noob tubes attached to the bottom though.

I almost missed that airstrip was a separate level. To me it just melts into the facility so it feels like one big level. Which is a good thing.

I love that this game lets you have the silenced gun all the time, that is something I wanted in the original. I think that all FPS should be designed so you can complete it with just a pistol and have it, so it rewards accuracy and headshots and stealth.

There are some bits in COD4 where you use a silenced gun but they are few and far between and too staged. I would love to play COD4 with Goldeneye's mechanics so you could stealth about until you were spotted and then the shit hits the fan.

Mael

gamingeek said:
I almost missed that airstrip was a separate level. To me it just melts into the facility so it feels like one big level. Which is a good thing.

I love that this game lets you have the silenced gun all the time, that is something I wanted in the original. I think that all FPS should be designed so you can complete it with just a pistol and have it, so it rewards accuracy and headshots and stealth.

There are some bits in COD4 where you use a silenced gun but they are few and far between and too staged. I would love to play COD4 with Goldeneye's mechanics so you could stealth about until you were spotted and then the shit hits the fan.

That's not the case? Glad I skipped that one then...

CaVaYeRo

Effect said:
I have heard some saying they have lag online but I have only experienced it once and I think it was mainly due to the host as they dropped soon after and the game had to do a search for a new one. I'm using a DSL connection so while not as fast I wished it's working pretty well. I think it might be slowing down the matching but not sure. Like anything if someone else is using the connection in the house I'm sure that would produced a nice bit of lag so thankfully no one is doing anything to intensive at the times I play. During matches outside of that one event things have been very smooth. The test came for me last night during a Hero mode match where for some reason everyone thought it was a good idea to just lob grenades at the same time. That was interesting to experience. Yet nothing happen that shouldn't have.

My favorite modes have to be Hero (seems to have the highest score total needed to end the game I believe), Team Conflict, and Black Box. Black Box does favor the downloading team I agree due to how long it takes to destroy the damn thing vs downloading the data. It's so easy to be killed doing so since it takes focus fire to really bring it's health down within any reasonable about of time. That unfortunately leaves you and your entire team open to be taken out by a single person if need be.

Need to finish that Nightclub level tonight. Might have to restart it as ammo is an issue now and haven't personally found any way to really stealth that level. That level is great in multiplayer but hard for me during the single player.

Great, thanks for the tips ^^

But no one answers! :lol

1.) Is there a Friend Codes - online matches thread?
2.) Is it true you cannot create a match from scratch? really? Then how do we do tournaments? :lol
3.) Do you select your character by doing so in local MP?

gamingeek

Anyone else disturbed by how many reviewers are playing with the classic controller? Eurogamer for instance, or the Gamespot video review they were obviously using the CC.

I just don't understand it, surely reviewers are experienced enough with Wii FPS by now? Or are they just multiplatform reviewers suddenly thrown a Wii FPS out of the blue?

Instead of tweaking the options and persevering they just switch to the CC.

Although having dual analogue as an option has probably stopped the wildly varying reviews we've seen in the past for cack handed reviewers.

Other than Game Informer :p

gamingeek

toxicgonzo said:
Is anyone else irritated by the blurring that happens when you reload?

Yes.

At least in Conduit you could turn it off. It's too pronounced and makes the game look worse so you have detail fading in and out.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
CaVaYeRo said:
Great, thanks for the tips ^^

But no one answers! :lol

1.) Is there a Friend Codes - online matches thread?
2.) Is it true you cannot create a match from scratch? really? Then how do we do tournaments? :lol
3.) Do you select your character by doing so in local MP?

2. Even when you set up a party with friends, you seem to only be able to jump in to predetermined game setups (e.g. no modifiers)
3. Character selection is like Call of Duty so you pretty much get stuck with someone. Local and online aren't linked at all, presumably because the owner of the game would have a much stronger profile compared to guest players. But yeah, sucks that you can't jump into Conflict online as the character of your choosing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
gamingeek said:

That...is basically what you're playing here.

Just had a few games online. Still fun, too many campers though. I dont care how effective it is; camper play is boring and makes for boring lame matches of boringness maximus. Dont squat in a corner grinding for kills. Its is mega lame.

If the netcode was better I'd probably rate this as the best online shooter on the Wii. Sadly the shitty netcode causing framerate instabilities really holds it back.

gamingeek

CVG review

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=274009

"The new GoldenEye uses Call of Duty's World at War engine, and you can expect it to feel and play similarly to the sharp, fast action of Activision's flagship FPS."

No it doesn't use that engine.

"What does that platform-specific appendage represent. Well, without the firepower of a PS3 or 360 to back it up, the GoldenEye 2010 isn't the most frantic of shooters. There is a noticeable cap on the number of enemies on screen at any one time. "

What has that got to do with the system when the COD wii games have the same number of enemies and AI and design as the HD versions?

"Is it as good as the original? Of course not - that was a near impossible task. But if you're looking for a decent, polished single-player shooter with genuinely fun and customisable multiplayer mode, this is best in class... for a Wii game"

Nice troll at the end.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
gamingeek said:
CVG review

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=274009

"The new GoldenEye uses Call of Duty's World at War engine, and you can expect it to feel and play similarly to the sharp, fast action of Activision's flagship FPS."

No it doesn't use that engine.

"What does that platform-specific appendage represent. Well, without the firepower of a PS3 or 360 to back it up, the GoldenEye 2010 isn't the most frantic of shooters. There is a noticeable cap on the number of enemies on screen at any one time. "

What has that got to do with the system when the COD wii games have the same number of enemies and AI and design as the HD versions?

"Is it as good as the original? Of course not - that was a near impossible task. But if you're looking for a decent, polished single-player shooter with genuinely fun and customisable multiplayer mode, this is best in class... for a Wii game"

Nice troll at the end.

...ugh. I mean, the rest of it is a good review. But....seriously guys?

EDIT:
What does that platform-specific appendage represent. Well, without the firepower of a PS3 or 360 to back it up, the GoldenEye 2010 isn't the most frantic of shooters. There is a noticeable cap on the number of enemies on screen at any one time.

However, developer EuroCom distracts you in smart ways - almost making up for the lack of gung-ho bullet showers with sneaking-with-the-silencer-on stealth sections. These are a refreshing addition - and remind you that they seem to have gone missing in the genre of late.

Really? Really? :lol :lol :lol

gamingeek

The_Technomancer said:

...ugh. I mean, the rest of it is a good review. But....seriously guys?

EDIT:

Really? Really? :lol :lol :lol

Seriously, how are they "making up" for the lack of bullet showers by inserting stealth? It's frigging Goldeneye, stealth is the frigging design. Any how many times does Andy Robinson use the ........ for Wii..... line in that review.

gamingeek

Eurogamer:

"This is, without doubt, the most impressive Infinity Ward-style shooter on Nintendo's platform. Played with the Wii Classic Controller Pro, you are afforded tight, satisfying control and the huge range of weaponry"

Even the gamespot video review is filmed using the CC. It just makes my head hurt. These games reviewers haven't tried enough Wii shooters, they come to a review and instead of learning the controls or tweaking the options their first response is to plug in the Classic controller so it plays like 360.

EatChildren

While I hate using dual analogue and think everybody should be playing Wii shooters like this with the pointer, its not like GoldenEye features much of anything that is hindered by using dual analogue should that be your personal preference. The lean is the only thing missing, but otherwise the level design is in such a way that you doing need a pointer to play.

Its not like Red Steel 2 where majority of the game is built around part of the Wii that couldn't be found elsewhere. GoldenEye is perfectly functional on any setup. It pains me to see reviewers sticking to dual analogue, but it works, and so its still acceptable grounds on which to review the game.

Chinner

Banned
i tried playing with wii mote but can't get my censor in a good position so got to aim high up or low down and just doesn't feel natural so i'm playing with the cc controller.

Mael

EatChildren said:
While I hate using dual analogue and think everybody should be playing Wii shooters like this with the pointer, its not like GoldenEye features much of anything that is hindered by using dual analogue should that be your personal preference. The lean is the only thing missing, but otherwise the level design is in such a way that you doing need a pointer to play.

Its not like Red Steel 2 where majority of the game is built around part of the Wii that couldn't be found elsewhere. GoldenEye is perfectly functional on any setup. It pains me to see reviewers sticking to dual analogue, but it works, and so its still acceptable grounds on which to review the game.

It's just they're lazy ass so I 'm ok with that.
I mean if that mean more people play online with the CCPro than the Wiimote, more targets for me :D

gamingeek

Escapist review
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8282-Review-GoldenEye-007

5 stars out of 5

They also have a video supplement to the review, I haven't read it yet.

EDIT:

"You have a lot of options in how to control GoldenEye. The best one is to use Nintendo's Classic Controller Pro, which is basically a Gamecube controller. You can also use the standard Classic Controller or the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, but these are inelegant at best. The only good thing about using the motion control is that the melee punch is mapped to the accelerometer of the Nunchuk, so punching equals punching, but I found aiming and turning with the Wii Remote difficult to master. Nintendo was smart enough to bundle a gold Classic Controller Pro with GoldenEye, and I think that's how the developers expected most people to play the game."

*facepalm*

LM4sure

Banned
I'm having a lot of fun with the game thus far. I've only beaten the first level and played an hour or so of the multiplayer. I like it though.

Judging only by the first level, it seems that the objectives are not as substantive as they were in the N64 game. And it didn't seem like there were a lot of people playing online. On several of the game modes it couldn't find any matches.

LM4sure said:
I'm having a lot of fun with the game thus far. I've only beaten the first level and played an hour or so of the multiplayer. I like it though.

Judging only by the first level, it seems that the objectives are not as substantive as they were in the N64 game. And it didn't seem like there were a lot of people playing online. On several of the game modes it couldn't find any matches.

Its between 7-10am in the States, and people on this side of the pond are probably in work. I expect it'll be busier later on and at the weekend..

Mael

radioheadrule83 said:
Its between 7-10am in the States, and people on this side of the pond are probably in work. I expect it'll be busier later on and at the weekend..

It'ss technically out in PAL land today...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gaming journalism at it's finest.

I'm really enjoying the singleplayer so far. The did a great job with the opening set of levels. I really want to go replay the original game in Project 64 now for comparison to see if I missed any other throwbacks.

Maxrunner

This game is proving most the gaming press hasnt used a wiimote for fps at all.....how can they prefer the archaic dual analog.....i just tried medal of honor on a store and it took less than a minute to walk away....

CaVaYeRo

Maxrunner said:
This game is proving most the gaming press hasnt used a wiimote for fps at all.....how can they prefer the archaic dual analog.....i just tried medal of honor on a store and it took less than a minute to walk away....

I'm feeling really sad for that situation, this is completely horrible. And I was eager to play Wiimote style / angry they were promoting CCP only / happy when it felt great @ Eurocom.

This completely proves the Wii treatment when it comes to its reviews. And automatically gives 0 credibility to most Wii reviews out there.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
CaVaYeRo said:
I'm feeling really sad for that situation, this is completely horrible. And I was eager to play Wiimote style / angry they were promoting CCP only / happy when it felt great @ Eurocom.

This completely proves the Wii treatment when it comes to its reviews. And automatically gives 0 credibility to most Wii reviews out there.

IGN said the Wiimote controls were good, also I think they hyping the CCPRO controls for the hd crowd to get them to go ohh I can play this.

CaVaYeRo

yep. I'm not saying the opposite, nor blaming the CCP promotion, since I understand it's good for sharing the game and selling it to N64/HD users. But the press... come on.

jlevel13

It's a waste of your guy's energy getting bent out of shape over what controller people prefer playing the game with. Some of you seem very convinced the pointer controls are superior, but have you tried playing with the CCP too (if not your opinion is just as uninformed as a reviewer who only played with the CCP)? Personally, I put in about three hours with the Wii remote controls and did okay, but never felt comfortable playing that way (and got annoyed when the pointer would slip off screen and have to be reset). Switched to classic controller pro for the next three hours and the game just feels better to me, and in fact, my k/d ratio online improved (slightly).

I really don't think one control scheme is more advantageous than any other - people should try both though and see what is most comfortable to them. Options are good.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
CCP> Pointer. Lets you play the game more relaxed. Wii FPSs just don't work well. This game is fun, and is miles ahead of The Conduit (now that's shit), but my preferred method would be with a CCP. Sorry pointer fans... its not accurate in any sense. Just dumb and slow.

The problem is that the gaming press doesn't even bother to give the controls a shot. They just toss em aside and go for the easiest available option. I think the reason a lot of people prefer dual analog is because they're so used to them since they've been using them for 2 gens straight. Wheras, there are only a handful of perfectly controlling Wii FPS to have pointer experience with.

Maxrunner

Relix said:
CCP> Pointer. Lets you play the game more relaxed. Wii FPSs just don't work well. This game is fun, and is miles ahead of The Conduit (now that's shit), but my preferred method would be with a CCP. Sorry pointer fans... its not accurate in any sense. Just dumb and slow.

I dont know in that sentence what is dumb and slow but it certainly isnt the wiimote pointer.....go play red steel 2 or any other recent pointer game.....does this game lets pointer pple play against ccp???lets see who's dumb and slow.....lolol i smell carnage....

CaVaYeRo

jlevel13 said:
It's a waste of your guy's energy getting bent out of shape over what controller people prefer playing the game with. Some of you seem very convinced the pointer controls are superior, but have you tried playing with the CCP too (if not your opinion is just as uninformed as a reviewer who only played with the CCP)? Personally, I put in about three hours with the Wii remote controls and did okay, but never felt comfortable playing that way (and got annoyed when the pointer would slip off screen and have to be reset). Switched to classic controller pro for the next three hours and the game just feels better to me, and in fact, my k/d ratio online improved (slightly).

I really don't think one control scheme is more advantageous than any other - people should try both though and see what is most comfortable to them. Options are good.

I COULDN'T play any other scheme @ E3 or Gamescom. It works great and yes, after Conduit, MW and this I feel pointer is superior, but that's not an opinion I want for everyone. It's just we're talking about the Wii, a system with a unique, great for a lot of people, control style that takes advantage of its very specific hardware. And about game journalists that at this moment should know which are the unique features of the Wii so they can be more precise/fair speaking about them.

You can control Phoenix Wright with the buttons, you may prefer that style, but if you haven't ever tried to play some time with touch controls, you're not doing a good job for your company or for the product's judgment.

EDIT: And, of course, 'dumb, slow and just don't work well' aren't significant arguments. Let's play online or let's record how we play and you tell if it works now that you aren't probably even trying.

EDIT:

this:
It doesn't matter to me that reviewers are using the CCP, but it does kinda bug me that they're saying the pointer controls aren't any good and you shouldn't bother with them. Please stop spreading false information, guys.

and the next one, is, in other words, what I meant. Sorry for my English.

EatChildren

Relix said:

For you. I find dual analogue clumsy and slow, and find myself wrestling with the shitty thumbsticks more than I'm enjoying myself. I find the pointer very relaxing, casual, responsible, and much faster.

Calling it slow and inaccurate just points out you lack the skills to handle it, as it is literally the complete opposite.

KevinCow

Banned
It doesn't matter to me that reviewers are using the CCP, but it does kinda bug me that they're saying the pointer controls aren't any good and you shouldn't bother with them. Please stop spreading false information, guys.

Relix said:
my preferred method would be with a CCP.

See, this is perfectly reasonable. It's a game, play the way you enjoy more.

Sorry pointer fans... its not accurate in any sense. Just dumb and slow.

This, however, is just wrong.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EatChildren said:
For you. I find dual analogue clumsy and slow, and find myself wrestling with the shitty thumbsticks more than I'm enjoying myself. I find the pointer very relaxing, casual, responsible, and much faster.

Calling it slow and inaccurate just points out you lack the skills to handle it, as it is literally the complete opposite.
I'm in the same camp. Aiming with dual analogue is just a pain.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I bet Black Ops comes out has more fetures then goldeneye etc and yet they still compare it to the HD twins and PC, can't reviewers review a system on it's own merits, if the control is bad it shouldn't be like its because it is Wii it should be it's jsut bad..

what I mean is like Golden eye seems to be getting great reviews (aprt from some places) but in the main it is always about how the game is good but not compared to HD shooters, I mean if you own a Wii and wnat a Shooter shouldn't you get the top ranked one for your system not another.... I dunno my rant is not making sense long day at work been up since 4.30 am

Edit: The reason I am getting pysched for this is due to the fact I can play an FPS with pointer controls... I prefer them over dual analog by the time it takes me to line up a shot and shoot i can do it in the fraction of the time with the IR controls

Prefer what ever works best for you playing it, there is no right answer, just take them on their own merit is al li am saying..

RobbieNick

You have a lot of options in how to control GoldenEye. The best one is to use Nintendo's Classic Controller Pro, which is basically a Gamecube controller

LOL Wut? A CC Pro is closer to a PS3 controller than it is a GC Contoler.

The reviews are very revealing about which video game journalists have very little experience with the Wii (i.e. who have not used the pointer much). Personally, after I began using the Wiimote, I've found dual analogue very clumsy for these kind of games, which is why I've pretty much had to avoid the genre on my PS3.

Does the game have assist aim if you use the classic controller? If not, I can imagine people who use the Wiimote and Nunchuk to have quite an advantage online...

Top Bottom