• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

heringer

Linkzg said:
Have you played Red Steel 2?

I thought MP3 advanced controls and Red Steel 2 were the best feeling FPS games on the Wii. I really hated The Conduit no matter how much I customized it and haven't tried any of the CoD games.
Red Steel 2 is, to me, the best controlling Wii shooter by far. It's crazy smooth. 60 fps doesn't hurt, of course.

I don't get this "Modern Warfare Reflex had perfect controls" talk. They felt pretty sluggish to me compared to Corruption, Red Steel 2 and even The Conduit.

Penguin

Cow Mengde said:
http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/05/hirshberg-goldeneye-out-selling-modern-warfare-wii/

Good news? I don't know how well MW sold on the Wii. Considering people aren't allowed to see the game until it was released, I'm not sure how good the numbers are.

I'm just happy its selling.

And I hope Eurocom gets to re-use the engine. They have a solid foundation for Bond games, I think with the new movie, this engine and two years, they can work wonders. :D

Just played some online, not sure if its lag or just general choppiness, but it isn't smooth at all. Still fun, but you'll see characters do the two steps where they just kind of glide across rooms.

I dig the Industrial stage, I thought Nightclub would be cool, but with the drop in details, it just looks odd online.

I like the accolades, does that get you XP or just stuff at the end of the game?

FoneBone

Cow Mengde said:
http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/05/hirshberg-goldeneye-out-selling-modern-warfare-wii/

Good news? I don't know how well MW sold on the Wii. Considering people aren't allowed to see the game until it was released, I'm not sure how good the numbers are.
From what I recall, MW Reflex only sold around ~90K its first month, and that was a two-years-late port with zero marketing. So that's not saying much.

EDIT: Going back to the NPD thread for that month, AniHawk said there that it sold more than the Conduit's first month (72k) but less than 90k.
antonz said:
MW: reflex ended up selling over a million units if I recall correctly.
I've seen this said many many times and yet I've never seen a source cited for it.

antonz

Penguin said:
I'm just happy its selling.

And I hope Eurocom gets to re-use the engine. They have a solid foundation for Bond games, I think with the new movie, this engine and two years, they can work wonders. :D

Just played some online, not sure if its lag or just general choppiness, but it isn't smooth at all. Still fun, but you'll see characters do the two steps where they just kind of glide across rooms.

I dig the Industrial stage, I thought Nightclub would be cool, but with the drop in details, it just looks odd online.

I like the accolades, does that get you XP or just stuff at the end of the game?

Online heavily depends on who is host. If the host has a good connection the game plays perfectly. You may want to set region off of worldwide so you dont get connections to some random guy in Australia or whatever.

AniHawk

Cow Mengde said:

let's put it this way: outselling reflex in a comparable period isn't very hard to do.

now, overall sales of reflex are fine... it had some legs that put it around 500k, but its first month's sales were pretty dismal given the brand. It's probably not that great of a sign for GoldenEye either, which is being advertised on television and heavily marketed.

[Nintex]

I just finished the NIghtclub level and this game is really good. Great action and unlike many other Bond games it actually feels like an action packed movie without taking control away of the player. The nightclub is a sight to behold, I just smiled at the creative way they used to build the dance floor scene.

antonz

[Nintex] said:
I just finished the NIghtclub level and this game is really good. Great action and unlike many other Bond games it actually feels like an action packed movie without taking control away of the player. The nightclub is a sight to behold, I just smiled at the creative way they used to build the dance floor scene.

Yep one of the reviews said the way they did the dancers showed system weakness etc but I thought the Dancers etc were perfect for the atmosphere that was being pushed. I found the entire design of the nightclub to be spectacular.

Doorman

I know a lot of people are complaining about the quick dismissal of pointer controls by many reviewers, but once I really think about it, I'm cutting them a bit of slack on this one. Someone like Craig I can understand getting into it, because he's a Nintendo-centric reviewer and he's already used to those control types. But for a system-general reviewer that's not as experienced, I think it's important to consider time restrictions as a part of this. Goldeneye is one of several games these reviewers have on their plate, and when you consider how many other games they need to be covering during this busy season (including Activision's own Call of Duty that probably shipped for review around the same time as 007), these guys are probably scrambling to try and experience all of the game's main content as quickly as possible. Taking the time to tweak pointer settings when you aren't used to them to begin with might be a hassle, especially when there's a familiar and still-viable option right there for the taking. Is that the right way to do things? No, but it's realistic.

Anyway, my wireless is finally hooked up and I'm going to be adding my Wii to the network tonight, so I'm willing to try out a few matches tonight (though I warn, my connection probably won't be all that quick until Monday). There's no matchup or code-exchange topic for this running right now, is there?

boyshine

Doorman said:
I know a lot of people are complaining about the quick dismissal of pointer controls by many reviewers, but once I really think about it, I'm cutting them a bit of slack on this one. Someone like Craig I can understand getting into it, because he's a Nintendo-centric reviewer and he's already used to those control types. But for a system-general reviewer that's not as experienced, I think it's important to consider time restrictions as a part of this. Goldeneye is one of several games these reviewers have on their plate, and when you consider how many other games they need to be covering during this busy season (including Activision's own Call of Duty that probably shipped for review around the same time as 007), these guys are probably scrambling to try and experience all of the game's main content as quickly as possible. Taking the time to tweak pointer settings when you aren't used to them to begin with might be a hassle, especially when there's a familiar and still-viable option right there for the taking. Is that the right way to do things? No, but it's realistic.
There is absolutely no excuse for any reviewer (even for a 360/PS3 specific site or magazine) not to be familiar with Wii pointer controls in november of 2010. The number of reviews pooring in where it seems like this is the first time for the reviewer playing anything on Wii besides Wii Sports or Mario is baffling.

heringer

Doorman said:

Anyway, my wireless is finally hooked up and I'm going to be adding my Wii to the network tonight, so I'm willing to try out a few matches tonight (though I warn, my connection probably won't be all that quick until Monday). There's no matchup or code-exchange topic for this running right now, is there?
Some people don't like pointer control. It's no big deal.

I mean, I know a couple of guys that plug in a 360 controller to play PC shooters.

MYE

Doorman said:

The Wii came out 4 years ago for fucks sake.

No excuses

Doorman

MYE said:

No excuses
I'm not necessarily saying that I excuse it, just that for some of these reviewers, it could very well be the first time they're plugging in a Wii Remote to play a first-person-shooter. Do you really expect a lot of the HD-console FPS fans have bothered to do much Wii playing of the Conduit or a two year old port of Modern Warfare? I doubt many of them would have even cared about or agreed to review this particular game if the name Goldeneye and the legacy that comes with that name weren't involved.

It's still a ridiculously fucking stupid reason, and the status of having to plow through a game as quickly as possible to review is something that ticks me off, because I know that it's harmed the scores of some games in the past (probably a lot of Nintendo games in particular, because they tend to have really quick and easy barebones game-finishing requirements but harder full-completion content. I'm convinced that Wario Land, for example, was harmed by the fact that I doubt many reviewers honestly tried to collect all of the treasures, which is where a lot of the challenge and inventive level design is centered). I'm not saying that I forgive it, but I can understand why some of those opinions are out there.

Kenka

AniHawk said:
let's put it this way: outselling reflex in a comparable period isn't very hard to do.

now, overall sales of reflex are fine... it had some legs that put it around 500k, but its first month's sales were pretty dismal given the brand. It's probably not that great of a sign for GoldenEye either, which is being advertised on television and heavily marketed.

First month was 81'000 copies. So, no, it is nothing exceptionnal to outsell that.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/13526

KevinCow

Banned
heringer said:

I mean, I know a couple of guys that plug in a 360 controller to play PC shooters.

And that's fine, people should play what they feel comfortable with.

What's nutty is that some of these reviews are saying that the pointer controls aren't any good and advising the reader to not even bother with them.

Doorman

I'm not going to be able to make it on tonight, but I'm willing to give online a try tomorrow to see whether or not my connection holds up. If this is where FC's are gonna get plunked down, I'll add anybody that's up for playing then.

My code's 4273 0736 2850

edit: Ahaha, people that are awaiting verification don't show up in your roster yet. I just tried to see if Penguin's code would show up and I'm greeted with "You have no Friends." Harsh, Eurocom. :lol

Bought this tonight, Limited Edition with wonderful gold CC Pro. I'll admit, this was totally an impulse buy based on nostalgia plus the good word of mouth from around here. Hell, I don't even have time to play games these days, but I'll find time over the next few weeks to dig into this.

MiniDitka

heringer said:
Red Steel 2 is, to me, the best controlling Wii shooter by far. It's crazy smooth. 60 fps doesn't hurt, of course.

I don't get this "Modern Warfare Reflex had perfect controls" talk. They felt pretty sluggish to me compared to Corruption, Red Steel 2 and even The Conduit.
I agree, RS2 controls are fantastic. If I had to rate them I'd go
1. RS2
1. MP3
3. Conduit
4. MW:Reflex

Got my collector's edition today. K-mart is doing a CRAZY deal... buy the collector's edition and get a SECOND Classic Controller Pro for free.

That pushed it over the ge for me.

So now... I have a spare sealed copy of the standalone game. Anyone need one and don't want to go to the store??

boiled goose

good with gravy
MiniDitka said:
I agree, RS2 controls are fantastic. If I had to rate them I'd go
1. RS2
1. MP3
3. Conduit
4. MW:Reflex

Conduit better than MP3 by far.
You can implement MP3 controls on the conduit. MP3 has the benefit of decent preset options. You have to tweak conduits a lot to get it right, but once you do, they are as close to a mouse as you can get on a console

MiniDitka

amtentori said:
You can implement MP3 controls on the conduit. MP3 has the benefit of decent preset options. You have to tweak conduits a lot to get it right, but once you do, they are as close to a mouse as you can get on a console
MP3 feels smoother to me than The Conduit which is why I have it rated higher. Both are excellent I just prefer MP3 a bit more.

KevinCow

Banned
MP3 felt better than any other Wii shooter at release, but going back to it now, it feels a bit sluggish. Especially the pointer, which feels a bit laggy, like when you crank the cursor sensitivity way down in the Conduit or something.

heringer said:

But any reviewer that did so to review a PC game would and should be dismissed.

boiled goose

good with gravy
MiniDitka said:
MP3 feels smoother to me than The Conduit which is why I have it rated higher. Both are excellent I just prefer MP3 a bit more.

i believe that might be the frame rate difference. mp3 = 60fps conduit 30fps. that will lead to a "smoother" pointer. the pointer is fine in mp3, the problem is i would make the bounding box smaller and increase the turning speed even more than in the most advanced setting.

in terms of speed , conduit is better. ( i can customize it more)

MYE said:

No excuses

many people in the industry and on this board still believe DA is better than wii pointer controls for FPS. that should give you a hint as to how many people have actually given Wii fps games a fair shake.

pointer controls do have a huge downside. you have to sit down and tweak the hell out of them to get it to feel perfect. it is not just plug and play. most games default settings err on the slow turning, big bounding box side of things to make the controls feel a bit more accessible, but they end up feeling slow.

gogojira

Picked it up, about to try it out. I'm pretty decent with the whole pointer control thing, but I'll give both it and CC a shot.

gogojira

I don't know, I'm definitely cool with dual analog controls but I'm preferring pointer right now. It's probably because the default on CC is so absurdly sluggish even when compared against most dual analog setups; maybe I should tweak it some.

Played through Dam and Facility; soooo much fun. The homage to Goldeneye is there, but the differences are what make the game. I'm very glad they didn't try to make a carbon-copy. The stealth elements are a definite plus, the game looks great, and it plays very well (CC Pro here). I see some mileage in this one, especially with the multiple modes.

Now, true story, this is the first console game I've ever taken online. I must have been completely ignorant to Wii online, as I thought friend codes were a necessity. I just jumped right in, killed some fools, and ended up with the best K/D ratio of the match (although not top overall). I see my productivity declining heavily in the future.

Gigglepoo

As someone who reviewed Goldeneye, I didn't think about the controls at all. Both the CC and the Wii Remote are just second nature now. The game feels really good either way. The time for dwelling on Wii FPS controls -- how and if they work -- is over for me.

Anybody feel like sharing their Wiichuk control settings? I'm having trouble finding a setting that feels 100% comfortable, especially ADS settings. I'm looking for some numbers, I wanna just flat out copy someone else's settings if they work well.

Barrow Roll said:
Anybody feel like sharing their Wiichuk control settings? I'm having trouble finding a setting that feels 100% comfortable, especially ADS settings.

For me, I prefer setting the bounding box for ADS as small as possible, while having the regular bounding box medium size. I also crank up the turning speed for both (while maintaining horizontal faster like the presets). I also have turning speed faster for hipfire.

Played some online matches today. Was mowing people down with the shotgun in conflict...30 kills, and 6 death! I think my control adjustments are done! :lol

Rush2thestart said:
For me, I prefer setting the bounding box for ADS as small as possible, while having the regular bounding box medium size. I also crank up the turning speed for both (while maintaining horizontal faster like the presets). I also have turning speed faster for hipfire.

Played some online matches today. Was mowing people down with the shotgun in conflict...30 kills, and 6 death! I think my control adjustments are done! :lol
I guess I should have specified that I'm looking for some numbers for the control settings. I don't really want to go in and tweak stuff, I just want to use someone else's settings if they work well. I edited my post to reflect this. I'll give your suggestions a shot though.

I dunno. I feel like IR is good for single player, but online it's just not good enough to use.

I find myself flailing around and struggling to track players running away or running through my field of vision. Single player enemies don't really strafe you or anything so it's not as much of a problem.

I love aiming with the pointer but i hate turning with the pointer.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
SabinFigaro said:
Played through Dam and Facility; soooo much fun. The homage to Goldeneye is there, but the differences are what make the game. I'm very glad they didn't try to make a carbon-copy. The stealth elements are a definite plus, the game looks great, and it plays very well (CC Pro here). I see some mileage in this one, especially with the multiple modes.

Now, true story, this is the first console game I've ever taken online. I must have been completely ignorant to Wii online, as I thought friend codes were a necessity. I just jumped right in, killed some fools, and ended up with the best K/D ratio of the match (although not top overall). I see my productivity declining heavily in the future.

Modern Warfare, Mario Kart Wii & Tatsunoko say hi!

Just beat the game. Fucking great game. One of the best FPS singleplayers this gen, no joke. Love me some stealth spy FPSs.

In standard FPS fashion the last level was a bitch. Completed Agent, any unlocks?

Played with Wii Remote, jacked up sensitivity and no dead zone, and no dead zone on ADS with low - medium sensitivity (it's great!), and no aim assist. Controls excellently, shits all over dual analog (coming from a guy with 14 -15 days on WaW 360). Not as good as a mouse, but more fun.

Stuff about the game:

After Dam the levels are almost nothing like GE64...which is disappointing. If only more levels got the Dam treatment. Also, wtf was with the tank mission? I was finally having some fun with it and it ends. lol. I gotta say though, the Depot replacement was fucking rad. I wish train got its own level, but I guess it's cool it was there somewhat.

Also, the AI was pretty damn good. At one point I saw a dude flanking me, running from cover to cover, while diving sometimes. My aim was off as this bitch was good. Bullets hitting the ground below him. He though he was some kind of hero or some shit. :lol

No Bond-shooting-gun-barrel sequence though, wtf?

Maybe next we'll get The World is Not Enough re-imagining. :lol

Thanks to the amazon deal buy 2 get 1 free deal, my friends and I bought three copies w/ the gold controller and split the cost three ways for only $46.66 each; plus, we got it shipped to each of our respective addresses for free! So +3 sales for activision. I think this is my first activision purchase for Wii.

Neogaf convinced me to buy this while the nostalgia and the amazon deal convinced my friends

Vagabundo

SonOfABeep said:
I dunno. I feel like IR is good for single player, but online it's just not good enough to use.

I find myself flailing around and struggling to track players running away or running through my field of vision. Single player enemies don't really strafe you or anything so it's not as much of a problem.

I love aiming with the pointer but i hate turning with the pointer.

Stop the drinking - or start back up again - to help steady your hands..

Seriously, you do need some hand eye co-ordination to be decent at wii pointer controls. The learning curve is - generally - less than for DA.

How many hours you put in with the Wii pointer?

Salsa

Played some online matches, not really feeling the wii+nunchuck setup.

How are you guys playing ? customized the controls yourself ? i find "experienced 3" to be what fits me best but its still clunky. Personalizing the whole thing seems like a chore :(

Vagabundo said:
Stop the drinking - or start back up again - to help steady your hands..

Seriously, you do need some hand eye co-ordination to be decent at wii pointer controls. The learning curve is - generally - less than for DA.

How many hours you put in with the Wii pointer?
I let my (both half) brother and sister who are 7 and 10 play against each other. I think they've played that one Medal of Honor somewhat and that's it. I don't know how much they've played it but I never hear them talking about it. I was surprised how well they were playing with the default setting. They got some hat kills, and were always screaming about getting golden gun kills. It was quite hilarious. :lol Reminds me of me and my sister playing GE clear back then.

I think if you've got no experience with traditional FPSs, the Wii Remote will be quite easy for you to pick up. If you've got FPS experience it seems it's either easy or a challenge (which people just give up on).

GC|Simon

MYE said:

2a64ca0.jpg

Congrats for buying a great game and supporting great 3rd party Wii efforts!

amtentori said:

hell no, something was wrong with the conduit.
it wasn't exactly the controls but more the way your character walks. It feels like he was constantly drunk or like his feet were crippled. I often encountered that when you want to walk straight he walks kinda leftish

jufonuk

not tag worthy
f**k beans, my parcel never turned up today bollocks what the point of preordering if you dont get it on release day or even the saturday of release day , wont get it until monday now

XPE

asda are selling Goldeneye for the same price as any internet site (£29.97) so if you are looking to pick it up and don’t want to wait it might be an option.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
XPE said:
asda are going selling Goldeneye for the same price as any internet site (£29.97) so if you are looking to pick it up and don’t want to wait it might be an option.
the amazon order is already dispatched :(
maybe it might come in the post later

Doorman

Mr Sandman said:
Also, the AI was pretty damn good. At one point I saw a dude flanking me, running from cover to cover, while diving sometimes. My aim was off as this bitch was good. Bullets hitting the ground below him. He though he was some kind of hero or some shit. :lol
"Be careful, the enemy hero has entered the fray!"

I'm tempted to try out my CCP since, while I've adjusted to my current pointer controls decently enough, it still doesn't seem to have completely clicked with me and I'm tempted to continue messing with it. But at the same time...I'm getting way too much use out of lean-looking around practically every corner that I'm not sure I'm willing to get rid of it. Even if leaning doesn't make a huge amount of gameplay difference, it just feels more...spy-like. :D

hayejin

SalsaShark said:
Played some online matches, not really feeling the wii+nunchuck setup.

How are you guys playing ? customized the controls yourself ? i find "experienced 3" to be what fits me best but its still clunky. Personalizing the whole thing seems like a chore :(

I couldn't play using Wiimote and Nunhacku combo.

Luckily Amazon sent me Classic Controller bundle even though I bought the normal version and I'm using the classic controller. Much better and totally changes the experience.

Top Bottom