• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

sk3tch

Finally found some time to try this game out (bought it at launch, but I have a newborn son so you know how that goes...) - jumped right into MP with a Classic Controller Pro...wow...real fun. It's great to be able to compete without much experience with the game. I was middle of the pack or better in the rounds that I played. It is totally CoD lite, though...not very Bond-ish.

Rich!

I really couldnt get to grips with the pointer/nunchuck. I think it's an awesome setup on Metroid Prime, and simply cannot play that with the GC controller anymore.

However, the gamcube controller is my prefferred way of playing Goldeneye on the Wii. :lol It's really like playing a great GC game that I missed out on. Thinking of it like that makes it a million times better personally.

Just finished the club. Started the game on 007 Classic, which was brutal yet absolutely awesome, then got forced to do the rest on a lower difficulty because I failed one objective. Ah well - I doubt I would have survived this long on classic.

Apenheul

It seems like very few Europeans play the game online, I haven't gotten into a single online match yet with region set to "ON".

* And with region set to "OFF" I've experienced some of the laggiest matches ever, no fun at all.

evangd007

sk3tch said:
Finally found some time to try this game out (bought it at launch, but I have a newborn son so you know how that goes...) - jumped right into MP with a Classic Controller Pro...wow...real fun. It's great to be able to compete without much experience with the game. I was middle of the pack or better in the rounds that I played. It is totally CoD lite, though...not very Bond-ish.

I find the... um... cadence of the game, in both single and multi, makes it feel very Bond-ish. The higher health and smaller arenas contribute to this. I think it will feel more Bond-ish as time goes on because your timed, remote, and proxy mines are unlocked at a ridiculously high level.

jlevel13

Apenheul said:
It seems like very few Europeans play the game online, I haven't gotten into a single online match yet with region set to "ON".

* And with region set to "OFF" I've experienced some of the laggiest matches ever, no fun at all.

Same thing happens in the US too, since they stupidly made region search off the default, that's where 95% of the games are going on, as nobody both to switch it over to on every time. ANd getting a laggy match is better than sitting alone in a lobby for twenty minutes.

I've played lots of Wii games, but this is my first FPS on the console, and after fiddling with the settings for over an hour, I can't find a setting that feels good. I can't stand the way turning is handled, with the cursor wandering off to the sides of the screen, and no amount of deadzone tweaking can make it feel right. I almost feel guilty giving up and going to the classic controller, but I've just wasted too much time.

Good game. A bit more roller-coastery than I would have liked... I was put off when the dam broke into an all-out action scene... but I've accepted it for what it is. There's little tastes of stealth and non-linearity here and there, and the game feels nicely atmospheric. Solid 7

My first impressions of the game aren't that great. It reminds me of everything I hate about modern shooters with a layer of 007 paint on top. I'll have to play more before I finalize my feelings.

Apenheul

revolverjgw said:
Good game. A bit more roller-coastery than I would have liked... I was put off when the dam broke into an all-out action scene... but I've accepted it for what it is. There's little tastes of stealth and non-linearity here and there, and the game feels nicely atmospheric. Solid 7

It depends on how you play the game, I played the game about 90% stealth and 10% action, only the truck scene at the Dam, the Tank level and the last level I was forced to run & gun.

boiled goose

good with gravy
revolverjgw said:
I've played lots of Wii games, but this is my first FPS on the console, and after fiddling with the settings for over an hour, I can't find a setting that feels good. I can't stand the way turning is handled, with the cursor wandering off to the sides of the screen, and no amount of deadzone tweaking can make it feel right. I almost feel guilty giving up and going to the classic controller, but I've just wasted too much time.

the biggest pain of pointer controls is tweaking them to perfection. I recommend you keep going. it will be worth it. make sure you set a small bounding box and increase the turning speed till it feels right. I try to set them as fast and tight as possible to try to emulate a mouse.

Rich!

Statue Park after train? Wut.

I've realised what's bothering me about the new GE. GE N64 was very industrial, dark and grungy - take for example, the locales and the music.

The new GE has a highly glossy sheen to it - again with the graphics, locations and the music. Compare Depot from GE 64 to the new one's equivalent. One is dark, moody and forboeding, the other one is the total opposite. Same for Statue Park (mostly due to the music!).

Still a good game, but I shall be trading it in on monday to pay for Black Ops.

durendal

amtentori said:
the biggest pain of pointer controls is tweaking them to perfection. I recommend you keep going. it will be worth it. make sure you set a small bounding box and increase the turning speed till it feels right. I try to set them as fast and tight as possible to try to emulate a mouse.

It depends on what you're used to. I played the first half of the game using the Experienced 3 preset minus ADS lock and I did alright. Now I play with Experienced 3 with ADS lock, auto-recenter, and look turned off and I find that works best. I haven't even touched the bounding box. The problem is figuring out what you're comfortable with.

Penguin

An odd design choice, but apparently, Goldeneye can only be won, even if time expires and one team has complete control, it will end in a tie.

I guess can understand why, but still odd.

Memorial is an odd little level, think better suited for stuff like that with all its tiny caves.

Doorman

I just tried to play with the CCP for all of about...oh, 90 seconds. :lol I think part of it is my general unfamiliarity with the Pro controller, but trying to play at the point in the game I'm at using dual analog just felt like a major chore. I probably have to turn down my ADS turn speed, because trying to line up an accurate shot in a hurry was a big issue.

Looking forward to the sun going down a bit more, so I can get back to tweaking my pointer settings without the cursor janking around all over the place.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
5004 8587 1590.

That is my friend code. If anybody wants to be friends, add me, and maybe PM me with your code.

I'm based in Australia so lag will be an issue, but I'm happy to play anybody, and usually have a couple of rounds every day.

jlevel13

I wonder why this game isn't yet showing up in the Nintendo Channel app? I wonder if it'll ever show up. I can't seem to see it in gameplay records or recommend or favorite it... doesn't even show up in a search...

Apenheul said:
It depends on how you play the game, I played the game about 90% stealth and 10% action, only the truck scene at the Dam, the Tank level and the last level I was forced to run & gun.

Yeah, after I switched to the classic controller, I quickly got a lot better at going undetected, and the game has sort of settled down anyway. I just got through the entire snow level all stealthy-like. I'm liking the game more and more as I go along (though that nightclub level really sucked).

There's a lot of those "gimme" stealth kills where it's scripted so that you're funneled down a path to end up behind an unaware bad guy every time, but it works because it's nicely balanced with some more freeform stealth in more complex areas.

All in all I dig the way this game was designed. I cringed when it was announced and I still think the use of the Goldeneye license is really... weird and kind of pointless... but it's a great standalone experience.

So it sells well do you think Eurocom will get to develop the next 007 Wii (with this engine/gameplay of course)? I'd really love to see some completely original stuff, if they don't tie it to a movie. It would be even better if they got to play around with the old Bonds and have gadgets and shit...just please no Nightfire-like ending levels. Ugh.

Grapples on multiplayer!

Has anyone seen the credits yet? I'm curious just how much ex folks from Rare and Free Radical were involved (particularly FR staff, as that was only recently that whole thing about FR happened).

They said that there was no one from the original GE team involved, wasn't that team VERY small, like around a dozen? I'm very likely wrong.

Hero of Legend said:
Has anyone seen the credits yet? I'm curious just how much ex folks from Rare and Free Radical were involved (particularly FR staff, as that was only recently that whole thing about FR happened).

They said that there was no one from the original GE team involved, wasn't that team VERY small, like around a dozen? I'm very likely wrong.

isn't the staff stated in the manual(last pages) as well?

MiniDitka

balladofwindfishes said:
So tell me, is Cradle the final level in this?

Because if it is, it better have music that rivals this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6hsdWGF0no

If not I will be very sad :(
One of the best final level themes of any game. It ties all the music from the entire game together and is very tense. It brings the game to a nice closing.
Yes the final level is Cradle and the music is different.

iamaustrian said:
isn't the staff stated in the manual(last pages) as well?

Oh right, that's usually the case. In fact, it may be on Activision's site, I'll check.

Edit: Nada, the page isn't even open yet, and I mean the game page on the main Activison website.

Kinda weird how Bond's face in Goldeneye looks better than Blood Stone. There's something janky about Bond in Blood Stone...can't place my finger on it. Hair color?

Mr. Snrub said:
Kinda weird how Bond's face in Goldeneye looks better than Blood Stone. There's something janky about Bond in Blood Stone...can't place my finger on it. Hair color?

It's the lack of eyes I think..

(on BS' version)

thomaser

jlevel13 said:
I wonder why this game isn't yet showing up in the Nintendo Channel app? I wonder if it'll ever show up. I can't seem to see it in gameplay records or recommend or favorite it... doesn't even show up in a search...

CoD Modern Warfare Reflex never showed up on my Nintendo Channel, even if it probably reached my top 20 most played games. The CoD game before that showed up, though.

MiniDitka

Mr. Snrub said:

Stallion Free said:
Dolphin%202010-11-04%2022-18-28-09.jpg

mplayerc2010-11-0617-17-03-17.jpg

mplayerc2010-11-0617-15-08-48.jpg

mplayerc2010-11-0617-14-20-59.jpg

Yeah, theres just something that not right with the Bloodstone model, he looks kinda dorky compared to the Goldeneye model.

Holy wow at the Dolphin screens. I hope the Wii HD can render/emulate Wii games half as good as that. Wishful thinking I guess.

Dolphin is great as displaying Wii games in proper quality, but as for playing games I'm not a fan, but damn.

How do I unlock invisibility mode in multiplayer?

Also can you play license to kill in multiplayer?

Also where are proximity mines, Klebb and big hand mode?

I bought the CC Bundle today, since it wasn't that much more expensive. The single player is fantastic. I kind of wish for multiplayer the levels at least tried to look similar to their old ones. Quantum of Solace had Facility in all its glory (for the most part), yet Facility looks absolutely nothing like the old version.

balladofwindfishes said:
How do I unlock invisibility mode in multiplayer?

Also can you play license to kill in multiplayer?

Also where are proximity mines and big hand mode?
I think you had to preorder it at a certain store.

Yes, under modifiers I think

Choose your loadout I believe. Choose the one with mines, then press right on the dpad to switch "grenades."

Big hand is "Melee only" under modifiers.

balladofwindfishes said:
I bought the CC Bundle today, since it wasn't that much more expensive. The single player is fantastic. I kind of wish for multiplayer the levels at least tried to look similar to their old ones. Quantum of Solace had Facility in all its glory (for the most part), yet Facility looks absolutely nothing like the old version.
I agree. :(

Thanks

It looks like you had to pre-order the game from Gamestop to get invisibility, and it unlocks for everyone else on Jan 1st. Also there's a tag mode apparently from Best Buy, and that also unlocks for everyone on Jan 1st.

That's lame. I haven't ever bought a game with a store specific in-game pre-order bonus, and now I know why, it's terrible. Like my product was worth less because of the store I got it from :/

I got mine from BJs Club because it was 5$ cheaper

KevinCow

Banned
Okay, what the fuck am I supposed to do in the helicopter? I've pressed every button on the controller and nothing's working. This is pissing me off.

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up elsewhere.

EatChildren said:
Have you seen the movie?

Yeah, I watched it just the other week in fact. I just didn't remember how he got out of the helicopter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
KevinCow said:
Okay, what the fuck am I supposed to do in the helicopter? I've pressed every button on the controller and nothing's working. This is pissing me off.

Have you seen the movie?

jlevel13

The unlock system in this game is kind of grindy - I really want to try out the last few locked modes, but I'm only at level 13 after 6+ hours and every level seems to take longer. Honestly though, I'm already starting to get bored with the online modes I can play - not so sure I can put in the 10-20 more hours to unlock the rest.

My major complaints would be a few maps that are too dark and a couple that are too big for only 8 players. I prefer the small maps, but they are kind fo samey. There's just not enough variety to the maps to stick with it much longer :(

This game would have been so much better if you could host private matches online and fool around with the modifiers. Or even if it just had one random playlist that would shift things up so you could try all the different local modes online.

MiniDitka

KevinCow said:

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up elsewhere.

Yeah, I watched it just the other week in fact. I just didn't remember how he got out of the helicopter.
I had a glitch in that level were I was shot by the missiles but survived and was left standing in a pile of ruble unable to move :lol

sfried

MiniDitka said:
I had a glitch in that level were I was shot by the missiles but survived and was left standing in a pile of ruble unable to move :lol
Did Promise play in the background when this happened?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Goddamn the snow level is pretty. I feel like that level got the most love put into it because some of the textures are just insane for a Wii game. They also mixed the gameplay perfect there.

EatChildren

Stallion Free said:
Goddamn the snow level is pretty. I feel like that level got the most love put into it because some of the textures are just insane for a Wii game. They also mixed the gameplay perfect there.

Yeah, that level is my favourite of the game. Its a perfect blend of stealth, action, and sniping. Rock solid pacing, good variety, and gorgeous visuals.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I liked the close-up combat with Xenia & Trevelyan near the end. Poor Xenia didn't get a chance with that copter. And the "protect Natalya while she hacks into the computer" was just as annoying as on the original. :lol

Eurocom sure did a great job with this game. Hopefully they'll do the next Bond game on the Wii or Wii HD.

So how do you get cheat codes in this game? I can input some codes in the extra options, but how do i learn them? I don't see any while checking Gamefaqs.

thefro

MiniDitka said:
Yeah, theres just something that not right with the Bloodstone model, he looks kinda dorky compared to the Goldeneye model.

daniel-craig-james-bond.jpg
mplayerc2010-11-0617-14-20-59.jpg

Nose is wrong, hair color/cut is wrong. Eye color is wrong. Bloodstone model has way too much eyebrows. Forehead is too large. The chin is too strong to be Daniel Craig. I think they *may* have gotten the ears close to right.

They really fucked that model up :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah i barely recognized Craig on thes Bloodstone shots, while its the complete opposite for the Goldeneye one.

Luigiv

thefro said:
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images-3/daniel-craig-james-bond.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/mplayerc2010-11-0617-14-20-59.jpg[IMG]

Nose is wrong, hair color/cut is wrong. Eye color is wrong. Bloodstone model has way too much eyebrows. Forehead is too large. The chin is too strong to be Daniel Craig. I think they *may* have gotten the ears close to right.

They really fucked that model up :lol[/QUOTE]
Also, the eyes are a touch too small and the face is too narrow.

Edit: Actually the last part seems to be a result of the aspect ratio being wrong.

Edit 2: Here's the image with a fixed Aspect ratio. Silly VGA resolution.
[IMG]http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images-3/daniel-craig-james-bond.jpg
mplayerc2010-11-0617-14-20-.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jocchan said:
The Craig model in that Bloodstone screen looks more like Tommy Lee Jones.

It's like some sort of ungodly amalgamation of Daniel Craig and Alfred E. Neuman.

KevinCow

Banned
Bisnic said:
Eurocom sure did a great job with this game. Hopefully they'll do the next Bond game on the Wii or Wii HD.

Yeah, I think they did a surprisingly great job with this game. I wouldn't mind seeing them use this engine to make an original Bond game for the Wii if this one sells well. I like the balance of stealth and action they have going here.

JaseC said:
It's like some sort of ungodly amalgamation of Daniel Craig and Alfred E. Neuman.

Holy shit. :lol

Top Bottom