• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

Teknoman

Anticitizen One said:
I am still unconvinced that this is anything more than a cash-in on Goldeneye 64's legacy.

It looks really generic

The commercial is cool though

Its not really that much you can do with a FPS loosely based on a movie.

The question is, will it be a fun FPS with a smooth framerate and good graphics.

It makes sense for Bloodstone to not come to the Wii.
And let's face it, it wouldn't be as good as Goldeneye anyway, regardless.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
AceBandage said:
It makes sense for Bloodstone to not come to the Wii.
And let's face it, it wouldn't be as good as Goldeneye anyway, regardless.
Well, maybe not but 3rd Person Shooters are a neglected minority on the Wii.

Quite a shame too.

Teknoman

Serenade said:
Well, maybe not but 3rd Person Shooters are a neglected minority on the Wii.

Quite a shame too.

Yeah, a well controlled third person shooter on the Wii is always a good time.

I really wouldnt complain if someone just copied RE4 Wii's control scheme and went from there.

Very true, but it's far too late to complain about it anymore.
Oh well, I'm sure the 3DS and/or the Super Wii will get plenty.

Maybe a Wii version of Bloodstone was planned, but was cancelled/put on hold because of Goldeneye? If Goldeneye does decently at retail, you can bet if there was a Bloodstone Wii at one point, Activision will make sure it comes out.

Boney

Banned
Teknoman said:

I really wouldnt complain if someone just copied RE4 Wii's control scheme and went from there.
Dead Rising Wii exists... disproving your point.

;)

I see this game getting a 9 from the IGN dude on Monday.

Possibly an 8.5 but no lower, he seems to like it more than even the others and it has gotten decent impressions so far.

Effect

Hmm. Why is IGN giving the game so much coverage? Has there been any particular reason? I haven't really paid much attention to the site since the meltdown they had in their Nintendo section back a the end of 2009. Did they have a change of heart after that in order to change their image or something? Or do they simply like the game this much?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Effect said:
Hmm. Why is IGN giving the game so much coverage? Has there been any particular reason? I haven't really paid much attention to the site since the meltdown they had in their Nintendo section back a the end of 2009. Did they have a change of heart after that in order to change their image or something? Or do they simply like the game this much?
What meltdown

Effect said:

Craig from IGN seems to genuinely more than like this game but I have been out of the loop from gaming media for some time and am not sure about his track record and reputation for reviews so it's possible he could just be grasping for straws and something for Wii gamers to rally around but he fooled me if this is the case.

Effect said:

IGN's Nintendo sites have always given favorable coverage to Eurocom's titles - they've often been one of the few mid-tier Western developers willing to give the hardware (N64, GCN, now Wii) a good workout.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
AceBandage said:
Nintendo Voice Chat episode 50, where they basically called the Wii shit and Nintendo lazy and that they didn't care about them anymore.
ahuahahahahaha

Serenade said:
ahuahahahahaha

Yeah. I pretty much just blocked IGN after that.
And you notice, they haven't really gotten any exclusives since then for Nintendo stuff (at least, none that were worth posting on GAF).

AniHawk

AceBandage said:
And you notice, they haven't really gotten any exclusives since then for Nintendo stuff (at least, none that were worth posting on GAF).

That's kinda alarming even though we are already aware of that shit.

Effect

AceBandage said:
Yeah. I pretty much just blocked IGN after that.

Was wondering if there was any consequence for what happen. Good to hear/read there was.

Are there any other sites covering the game with any detail?

Rush2thestart said:
Why do you think so?

I believe history is on my side for most HD->Wii ports.
Exceptions being the newer CoD games and the music games.
And since Treyarch is already making a Wii game, Activision probably wouldn' give a Bloodstone port to a good team.

AceBandage said:
I believe history is on my side for most HD->Wii ports.
Exceptions being the newer CoD games and the music games.
And since Treyarch is already making a Wii game, Activision probably wouldn' give a Bloodstone port to a good team.

While true for most HD to Wii ports, Activision games seem to be handled quite well. They could've given the game to Beenox who recently put out a great Spiderman Shattered Dimensions port.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Rush2thestart said:
While true for most HD to Wii ports, Activision games seem to be handled quite well. They could've given the game to Beenox who recently put out a great Spiderman Shattered Dimensions port.
Didn't Beenox do Quantum of Solace

(I'm not going to post that one screen)

shoot, there was a whole thread for that one screen

Regardless, it's neither here nor there.
The Wii is getting its own, from the ground up, Bond game.
It may not be third person, but it's turning out great.

The funny thing about that Quantum of Solace game is that the best version was the PS2 game. It was different from the Wii or other console versions and a solid game. It's funny because that PS2 version was made by Eurocom, who is now making this Goldeneye wii game.

One thing about the title (of this thread) that makes me curious is why it is a Wii exclusive (I don't mind and I'll pick it up on the Wii eventually). It makes me think that Nintendo might have had a part in it. I mean, between the gold licensed classic controller, the big spot at the E3 press conference, and things like that, there has to be some reason that Activision decided to keep it on the Wii. This is Activision. They even ported CoD4 to the Wii two years after the other consoles got it.

antonz

Linkzg said:
The funny thing about that Quantum of Solace game is that the best version was the PS2 game. It was different from the Wii or other console versions and a solid game. It's funny because that PS2 version was made by Eurocom, who is now making this Goldeneye wii game.

One thing about the title (of this thread) that makes me curious is why it is a Wii exclusive (I don't mind and I'll pick it up on the Wii eventually). It makes me think that Nintendo might have had a part in it. I mean, between the gold licensed classic controller, the big spot at the E3 press conference, and things like that, there has to be some reason that Activision decided to keep it on the Wii. This is Activision. They even ported CoD4 to the Wii two years after the other consoles got it.

Nintendo has ownership of game rights based on Goldeneye. Rare owns the original game code. So to make the project happen they had to make an all new game that could not be an exact replica and since Nintendo has the ownership rights to Goldeneye game wise it goes only where Nintendo says.

Thats why Microsoft was trying to bribe Nintendo with Banjo Virtual console releases etc in exchange for allowing microsoft to have a Goldeneye XBLA

hatchx

Banned
antonz said:
Nintendo has ownership of game rights based on Goldeneye. Rare owns the original game code. So to make the project happen they had to make an all new game that could not be an exact replica and since Nintendo has the ownership rights to Goldeneye game wise it goes only where Nintendo says.

Thats why Microsoft was trying to bribe Nintendo with Banjo Virtual console releases etc in exchange for allowing microsoft to have a Goldeneye XBLA

Is that true?

antonz

hatchx said:
Is that true?
That was the story that along side a Goldeneye VC release Microsoft would open up the rare vault for other Virtual console releases. Microsoft was hoping very much to get permission to put up Goldeneye HD on XBLA

Effect

What's really shady about that is that they went ahead and had already developed the HD version (or were already in development) before even talking with Nintendo it seems. I guess they were hoping that once the work was already done Nintendo might be more likely to agree. Clearly didn't and that most likely pissed Nintendo off something fierce. I do recall reports that it was already done.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh shit, this is going to be out already? I haven't heard anything. Thinking of renting it for a "game night" my dorm is having in a few weeks.

watership

Effect said:
What's really shady about that is that they went ahead and had already developed the HD version (or were already in development) before even talking with Nintendo it seems. I guess they were hoping that once the work was already done Nintendo might be more likely to agree. Clearly didn't and that most likely pissed Nintendo off something fierce. I do recall reports that it was already done.

It's such a shame too, I really wanted to see the original redone like Perfect Dark/Banjo 1 and 2 were. From what I've seen, this 'Goldeneye' looks terrible.

antonz

Effect said:

Yeah the upgrade was pretty much fully done. Then they went to Nintendo and started discussing money and the idea of Nintendo having a clearly inferior version of the game up for buying.

There was no way Nintendo was gonna go along with it

antonz said:
Yeah the upgrade was pretty much fully done. Then they went to Nintendo and started discussing money and the idea of Nintendo having a clearly inferior version of the game up for buying.

There was no way Nintendo was gonna go along with it
If you play Perfect Dark XBLA, you can see the KF7 Special looks exactly like the KF7 in the Goldeneye XBLA videos. The classic weapons in PD are the closest anyone will get to playing the original Goldeneye in HD. Perfect Dark beats Goldeneye hands down in everything now that the framerate is ironed out and I was hoping Goldeneye would get a proper remake, so I am a happy camper. :D

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Teknoman said:

you tried rogue trooper? that is a great Wii Third Person Shooter

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is there advertising for this thing? For all that they've been selling it as "the huge hardcore game for Wii", at E3 and everything, I'd hope they were doing some actual damn work to make it a hit.

Lkr

KevinCow said:
So this comes out tomorrow and there are still no reviews? What the hell?
I came here to post about this. I want to get it tomorrow, but I want to see a few reviews first

HeySeuss

The_Technomancer said:
Is there advertising for this thing? For all that they've been selling it as "the huge hardcore game for Wii", at E3 and everything, I'd hope they were doing some actual damn work to make it a hit.
Yeah they've been playing ads on ESPN and cartoon network. USA I think too. They aren't too bad, but the whole ad is a guy doing a museum tour drawing on the classic N64 game. Then at the end of the commercial they show about 3 seconds of game footage, and of course they show a screengrab of a jaggy mess and make it look like an actual N64 game.

Haha, I was halfway expecting this.

Giant Bomb is going to be playing this for their TNT this week. It's the first Wii game they've ever done.

Top Bottom