• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

AceBandage said:
Regardless, it's neither here nor there.
The Wii is getting its own, from the ground up, Bond game.
It may not be third person, but it's turning out great.

If I had a nickel every time I saw that phrase...

Lenardo

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Is there advertising for this thing? For all that they've been selling it as "the huge hardcore game for Wii", at E3 and everything, I'd hope they were doing some actual damn work to make it a hit.

saw an ad for it last night on tv.... around midnight i THINK it was cartoon network or comedy channel.

what they REALLLLY need to do is advertise during a sporting event, MNF or nba game...

commercial looked good though.

Apath

Lenardo said:
saw an ad for it last night on tv.... around midnight i THINK it was cartoon network or comedy channel.

what they REALLLLY need to do is advertise during a sporting event, MNF or nba game...

commercial looked good though.
I really don't see the MNF crowd going for a Wii game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really hope this game is as good as it looks.

Isn't the IGN review supposed to hit later today?

gamingeek

America is getting this Tuesday?

Britain has to wait till Friday?

For England James? No, for America :(

At least we get Epic Mickey a few days before the US.
2206.jpg

Huzzah!

gamingeek said:

2206.jpg

Huzzah!

Yeah, talk about backwards.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
gamingeek said:

2206.jpg

Huzzah!

UK UK UK!!

Chinner

Banned
i dont get that, i mean the only person in america whos gonna get it is like solo, everyone else will be playing HALO or CALL OF DUTY.

Amir0x

Banned
gamingeek said:

2206.jpg

Huzzah!

what are you complaining about? If ComicCon was anything to go by, you really, really fucking won out on that deal. Goldeneye was a fucking mess. Epic Mickey, on the other hand? Well, I haven't played it, but I have to imagine it's better than what this turned into.

Amir0x said:
what are you complaining about? If ComicCon was anything to go by, you really, really fucking won out on that deal. Goldeneye was a fucking mess. Epic Mickey, on the other hand? Well, I haven't played it, but I have to imagine it's better than what this turned into.
I've only heard positive impressions on Goldeneye. ComicCon mess?

Amir0x

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
I've only heard positive impressions on Goldeneye. ComicCon mess?

Of course you've only heard positive impressions.

Gamejournalismisafuckingdisaster. God it's like I have to chant this mantra every thread.

kinggroin

Banned
Amir0x said:
Of course you've only heard positive impressions.

Gamejournalismisafuckingdisaster. God it's like I have to chant this mantra every thread.

If you would, elaborate on the comicon build? Sans hyperbole please. I was honestly looking forward to picking this up tomorrow, especially since classic health and objectives were confirmed to be included. I respect your opinion greatly whenever you're level headed about how you present it.

If your complaints are such that im deterred from purchasing this game, then you've made my decision to pick up some ram for my pc instead, that much easier.

Thanks in advance.

kinggroin said:
If you would, elaborate on the comicon build? Sans hyperbole please. I was honestly looking forward to picking this up tomorrow, especially since classic health and objectives were confirmed to be included. I respect your opinion greatly whenever you're level headed about how you present it.

If your complaints are such that im deterred from purchasing this game, then you've made my decision to pick up some ram for my pc instead, that much easier.

Thanks in advance.

Amir0x is a major critic of tonnes of stuff... you're going to base your purchasing decision on what he says? Rent it or some shit if you're unsure.

Amir0x

Banned
kinggroin said:

Thanks in advance.

Let's say you liked Goldeneye. I didn't, but let's say you did. This game is nothing at all like Goldeneye. It's like some mediocre third tier Call of Duty wannabe with decent-for-the-Wii-graphics. The controls they had in place at Comic Con were wonky as fuck, and I neither had time to tinker with them to know if they'd improve or not. They simply were terrible.

The scripted events and everything were there, and it neither plays or feels like Goldeneye. It's about as far removed from the Goldeneye legacy as it can be. Enemy A.I. was just fucking laughable from the experience I got.

I mean, I cannot know what's hyperbole for you, but I don't know who this game is marketed to.

If it plans on attracting the nostalgia whores, it fails. It plays nothing like Goldeneye. If it plans on attracting fans of modern shooters, it fails. It's a functionally inferior in every way shooter that does not even whiff the dirty socks of Call of Duty and its ilk.

So I'm honestly perplexed it's even being made.

Anth0ny

Still can't find any info anywhere... will the gold classic controller be sold separately? Eventually? Unknown?

Amir0x said:
Let's say you liked Goldeneye. I didn't, but let's say you did. This game is nothing at all like Goldeneye. It's like some mediocre third tier Call of Duty wannabe with decent-for-the-Wii-graphics. The controls they had in place at Comic Con were wonky as fuck, and I neither had time to tinker with them to know if they'd improve or not. They simply were terrible.

The scripted events and everything were there, and it neither plays or feels like Goldeneye. It's about as far removed from the Goldeneye legacy as it can be. Enemy A.I. was just fucking laughable from the experience I got.

I mean, I cannot know what's hyperbole for you, but I don't know who this game is marketed to.

If it plans on attracting the nostalgia whores, it fails. It plays nothing like Goldeneye. If it plans on attracting fans of modern shooters, it fails. It's a functionally inferior in every way shooter that does not even whiff the dirty socks of Call of Duty and its ilk.

Everyone knows it doesn't play like the N64 one, not sure why you are acting like this is a revelation or negative.

Plus, every hands on on the "final build" said controls are not an issue at all and most say they are spot on.

But of course, moneyhats and everything.

MONEYHATS WITH ONE HIT KILLS.

Glix

Effect said:
Was wondering if there was any consequence for what happen. Good to hear/read there was.

Are there any other sites covering the game with any detail?

WHAT??? You WANT pubs to not give stories to outlets that DARE say something bad about them?

This is a good thing?

Are you from Bizarro world?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm mostly concerned about Wii-remote controls implementation. I couldn't careless how wonky the dual analog setup feels. Any info on that?

KevinCow

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Still can't find any info anywhere... will the gold classic controller be sold separately? Eventually? Unknown?

As far as we know, the gold controller will only be available with the game.

Lonely1 said:
I'm mostly concerned about Wii-remote controls implementation. I couldn't careless how wonky the dual analog setup feels. Any info on that?

Craig from IGN said that is the way he is going to play and review the game so I guess it works better than dual analog easily for him.

Penguin

Amir0x said:

Wait San Diego or NY?

If was NY, how'd you get the single player demo? Thought they only had multi running?

Lonely1 said:
From the videos it looked good. One time he flicks over to a guy's head with the golden gun which looked pretty bad ass. But then again they're just videos.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

The controls at E3 were wonky as fuck too. I'm really, really used to TF2/Valve's character weight and turning and all that stuff. The dual analog stuff felt too sensitive.

Now I did notice that you can customize your controls (I'm 90% sure it was there- I paused the game and could swear I saw it, but I could be mixing it up with some other thing I saw at E3), so maybe it's just the default needs a lot of work (I had to tinker a lot with PD on XBLA to get Joanna to respond at an acceptable level).

They do have a MP3 type system working with the game, but I don't think they were letting people trying it out at these events. They probably want to sell people on the controller so they can make more money off the bundle. It's probably a little bit of "see it's not really a Wii game" too.

Glix said:
WHAT??? You WANT pubs to not give stories to outlets that DARE say something bad about them?

This is a good thing?

Are you from Bizarro world?

There's a difference between saying something bad about the company they are paid to review and cover.
And flat out trolling to get hits.
They were doing the latter.

Glix

AceBandage said:
There's a difference between saying something bad about the company they are paid to review and cover.
And flat out trolling to get hits.
They were doing the latter.

Ah gotcha, fair enough. I guess I wasn't familiar enough with the situation.

To stay on topic, I have NO interest in this game. Hell if you want to cash in on my N64 nostalgia then remake TETRISPHERE!

Apath

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
So wait, let me guess, TOUGH GUY FOOTBALL fans don't own kiddy and grandma systems?????

I guess I am an exception too as I watch football and will be getting this game.
No. I mean your average MNF fan wouldn't be interested in a Wii title. AKA it's not the best place to advertise for it, not there are 0 people who watch MNF that would buy this.

Doorman

I seriously doubt that they'd start selling the golden CCP outside of the Goldeneye bundle. They're using that and the whole "get your friends" tagline as their biggest pitches to get people to buy the game. They're playing the nostalgia card extremely hard on this one, which does partially worry me that they're afraid to let their new content stand on its own.

I can't comment on "wonky controls" from demos, because I believe that's been applied to pretty much every Wii shooter where the player doesn't have time to customize the controls to their comfort. I also never played the original Goldeneye so I don't give a damn how well it "holds up the legacy" of the original. What I'm most curious about is the quality of the netcode and the feature set for online multiplayer...which is unfortunately the thing they've probably said the least about. And that definitely leaves me hesitant to dive into the hype.

I dunno if it was posted yet but the reviews embargo for this doesn't go up until 1pm tomorrow. What a weird time. Plus activision just got them copies today. Annoying. Wouldn't expect any reviews for another day or so with all the kinect launch stuff going on.

From justinmcelroy at a major aol owned web log about videogames (reviews editor)
@JerBeep Embargo is 1 p.m. tomorrow. But it JUST showed up here, so who knows when we'll have something.

yeah I think I'm just gonna show up at my rental place first thing tomorrow morning and try to rent it. Kmart has a $20 coupon deal next week for the game anyway, so I'd be waiting for that. $30 for this game plus $20 off next purchase is a lock.

Lkr

SonOfABeep said:
I dunno if it was posted yet but the reviews embargo for this doesn't go up until 1pm tomorrow. What a weird time. Plus activision just got them copies today. Annoying. Wouldn't expect any reviews for another day or so with all the kinect launch stuff going on.

From justinmcelroy at a major aol owned web log about videogames (reviews editor)
@JerBeep Embargo is 1 p.m. tomorrow. But it JUST showed up here, so who knows when we'll have something.
what the fuck, are they trying to have the game fail?
I also need some help guys. I left my sensor bar at my friends house last weekend, and I only have gamecube controllers. Is there anyway to start the disc channel without a wii remote? I have homebrew channel and bootmii installed if that helps at all, otherwise I have to wait even longer to play :(

Glix

Kenak said:
No. I mean your average MNF fan wouldn't be interested in a Wii title. AKA it's not the best place to advertise for it, not there are 0 people who watch MNF that would buy this.

I saw a commercial for it on ESPN today. Sports is a perfect market to advertise this, as many dudebro gamers LOVED goldeneye, and tons of people have a Wii in the house due to children, wives, loving Nintendo first party stuff, etc...

Lkr said:
I also need some help guys. I left my sensor bar at my friends house last weekend, and I only have gamecube controllers. Is there anyway to start the disc channel without a wii remote? I have homebrew channel and bootmii installed if that helps at all, otherwise I have to wait even longer to play :(

Classic Controller can move the cursors with the analog stick.

Lkr said:

Classic Controller. I plugged it into a Wiimote, turned on my Wii and played MHTri with it. I was turning it off when I noticed my sensor bar had never been plugged in.

So I guess you're almost forced to buy the CCPro bundle? :lol

Lkr

SonOfABeep said:
Classic Controller can move the cursors with the analog stick.
hmm..sounds alright since I was planning on the classic controller bundle, but if I just get the game, will it work with standard classic controller? I'd rather see a review before blowing $70 :x

Lkr said:
hmm..sounds alright since I was planning on the classic controller bundle, but if I just get the game, will it work with standard classic controller?

Not sure why it wouldn't as it works with even an N64 controller:lol

Matt

SonOfABeep said:
yeah I think I'm just gonna show up at my rental place first thing tomorrow morning and try to rent it. Kmart has a $20 coupon deal next week for the game anyway, so I'd be waiting for that. $30 for this game plus $20 off next purchase is a lock.
They do? All I know about is the free extra CC Pro with the CE this week.

Doorman

Lkr said:
Depending on the actual quality of the game, this might actually be a bid to try and have the game succeed, moreso than the other way around. If Activision thinks it sucks, the only message they'll want to get out to the general public is "GOLDENEYE IS BACK!," rather than seeing that along with a bunch of reviews saying that it's a poorly-controlled, samey-FPS mess.

The more I hear about how they're handling this launch and thinking back to the extremely slow trickle of actual information and media, the more worried I'm becoming about this.

Matt said:
They do? All I know about is the free extra CC Pro with the CE this week.

Yeah there haven't been any specifics but I'd expect a $20 coupon next week, The buyer that posts on CAG posted about it in the beginning of october having a software only coupon the week after release.

Doorman said:
Depending on the actual quality of the game, this might actually be a bid to try and have the game succeed, moreso than the other way around. If Activision thinks it sucks, the only message they'll want to get out to the general public is "GOLDENEYE IS BACK!," rather than seeing that along with a bunch of reviews saying that it's a poorly-controlled, samey-FPS mess.

The more I hear about how they're handling this launch and thinking back to the extremely slow trickle of actual information and media, the more worried I'm becoming about this.

Activision does this with all their Wii releases. Even the Call of Duties on wii had zero info before launch. So has blood stone.

I think their marketing just doesn't see a big positive coming out of spending time showing the game to people, because wii games don't typically have the big explosive first week sales that HD games do. They're more word of mouth/slow burn games.

Top Bottom