• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 Reloaded |OT| For Wii, James? No, in HD

tusken77

Seems like they're pushing the game quite hard here in the UK. I've seen the GoldenEye Reloaded/PS3 commercial four times on ITV2 and Channel 4 in the past hour.

tusken77

SkyTurkey said:
Game Spot - 8.0

"Sharp controls, clever level design, and a wealth of gameplay options are the backbone of this exhilarating shooter, and it absolutely nails its core tenets. GoldenEye 007: Reloaded has no need to rely on nostalgia when it so expertly creates such thrilling new memories."

They also say the campaign is 10+ hours. Nice.

_woLf said:
The controls feel really clunky to me.
Well I didn't think it looked perfect, but definitely better than the Wii version. You can only expect so much from a B tier game.

The only thing stopping me now is the price tag. I'll definitely pick it up for cheap second hand next year.

The game controls great in my opinion. I felt the the Wii version was the clunky one. 60FPS makes a big difference for me.

The online however is a joke from what I played of it. You want nostalgia? Log into the online mode. The framerate is vintage N64.

Grabbing this at lunch for PS3 but I was wondering is there any chance of a classic deathmatch mode in split screen multi? With guns laying around the map as opposed to the starting load outs?
We played a bit of the Wii version but I don't recall it being part of it.

eshwaaz

I really enjoyed this game when it was originally released on the Wii; will purchase again for 360 when the price drops.

Watching the videos of the HD version reminded me of one area that I found sorely lacking when I played on Wii, and is still disappointing now - the weapon sounds are dreadfully weak. Honestly some of the most unsatisfying reports I've ever heard in a FPS; not a single weapon packs any aural punch. I was hoping they'd improve for the HD version, but they're still pathetic.

I'm glad to see it receiving good reviews, but I'm waiting for a price-drop or sale. Plus I've got a few things to finish first, so there's no reason to add one more.

Controls just as sluggishly on the 360 pad, as it did with the classic controller pro on the Wii.

Wii Remote still the superior control scheme.

EagleEyes

Criminal Upper said:
Controls just as sluggishly on the 360 pad, as it did with the classic controller pro on the Wii.

Wii Remote still the superior control scheme.
No it doesn't. It controls perfectly fine with the 360 controller. I haven't had one issue with the controls so far.

StevieP

Banned
plc268 said:
I know you can emulate the wiimote with a mouse, but is it possible to make the game feel like a PC fps with wasd and proper mouse control?

You can certainly map the pointer to the mouse, as mentioned... and I guess you could map the correct nunchuck axises in Dolphin to WASD, but I'm not sure how effective it would be or how it would feel. Others who are into Dolphin may be worth asking here to share their experiences with remapping FPS games, as I've always used it with a real Wiimote+Nunchuck from my Wii and a wireless sensor bar.

I think they game is really meant to be played with the gamepad.

Uh... well, no. Not originally lol.

Well I didn't think it looked perfect, but definitely better than the Wii version. You can only expect so much from a B tier game.

Move controls better than the Wii remote controls? Doubtful. This was not the best pointer implementation on the Wii by a long shot, but direct infrared is more precise than an approximated pointer via accelo/gryro values. This is also a much better game than Bloodstone, and has great production values for the most part (Nicole Sherzinger was called to redo Tina Turner's theme, and it sounds great... Judi Dench/Craig/etc were called to do mostly good voice work, and the development team at Eurocom put a lot of love into the whole package).

tusken77

StevieP said:
(Nicole Sherzinger was called to redo Tina Turner's theme, and it sounds great... Judi Dench/Craig/etc were called to do mostly good voice work, and the development team at Eurocom put a lot of love into the whole package).

Also, David Arnold composed the score.

StevieP

Banned
tusken77 said:
Also, David Arnold composed the score.

That's right, the music was pretty good (Dave Aude re-did Tina's theme for the opening credits as well) And the original writer of the movie was brought in to re-pen Goldeneye into a more modern story, dealing with crap like the global financial meltdown etc etc. It's not groundbreaking by any means, but it's an example of the extra steps that Eurocom took to make it a decent single player experience, and mostly polished.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I might pick it up on the Wii. The price for it will probably drop quite a bit with the new version out.

mik

mik is unbeatable
lowrider007 said:
So would people that have this game say it worth the full rrp for sp alone?
It depends. I really loved it on the Wii, but on the HD consoles, it feels extra-dated for some reason. The Wii version was a pleasant surprise--this is more like a quaint reminder of how shooters played a generation ago. It's still fun, but I don't think it's sixty bucks fun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
StevieP said:
You can get it for $10 on Wii already, I believe.
That would be handy if I lived in dollar land. A quick check and I found it is only £11.99 on Amazon so I guess I don't really have to wait. Might ask for it as a Christmas game as I already have Zelda this month and I'm still playing Xenoblade.

mik said:
It depends. I really loved it on the Wii, but on the HD consoles, it feels extra-dated for some reason. The Wii version was a pleasant surprise--this is more like a quaint reminder of how shooters played a generation ago. It's still fun, but I don't think it's sixty bucks fun.

Yeah, this should have been released at $40. However, the price will probably drop fast since it was sent to die.

Had a chance to try this game out at a friend's house. Luckily he loves the James Bond franchise and bought it.

Had to say I was pretty impressed with the single player. 60 frames per second, above-and-beyond improved graphics, and added animation to make it seem smoother. I went back home to check the difference on my Wii game and the difference is HUGE! Just the added weather effects in the HD versions are worth the purchase. I only saw the first part but I'd love to see the rest of the game.

Multiplayer was a mixed feeling. Some levels are smooth but some maps have choppier framerates when there's effects like weather in them. There was no lag, rubber-banding, or anything, it just dipped a bit in the framerates when a lot is going on. It reminded me of Quantum of Solace level of graphics, which isn't bad but it's a little dated. I guess multiplayer can be fun for a little bit, but this game's worth it for the single player alone.

I just wish Eurocom/Activision just remade the multiplayer portions using the Modern Warfare engine and maybe put it on a separate disc. Anyway, I think the game was great as it is regardless of a disappointing multiplayer.

I'm feeling very conflicted about this game. I wish so many missions weren't CoD style shooting galleries. I just did
Archives and Streets and now I'm at a construction site
and I feel like I haven't had the chance to do any stealthing in hours.

tusken77

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Had a chance to try this game out at a friend's house. Luckily he loves the James Bond franchise and bought it.

Had to say I was pretty impressed with the single player. 60 frames per second, above-and-beyond improved graphics, and added animation to make it seem smoother. I went back home to check the difference on my Wii game and the difference is HUGE! Just the added weather effects in the HD versions are worth the purchase. I only saw the first part but I'd love to see the rest of the game.

I'm mainly in it for the campaign (looking forward to going through it on 007 Classic difficulty) and MI6 Ops. Not too interested in multiplayer, for me that's just a nice bonus. Good to know you're impressed with what you saw of the main game. Was your friend playing with the Move by any chance?

tusken77 said:
I'm mainly in it for the campaign (looking forward to going through it on 007 Classic difficulty) and MI6 Ops. Not too interested in multiplayer, for me that's just a nice bonus. Good to know you're impressed with what you saw of the main game. Was your friend playing with the Move by any chance?
No. It was the 360.

Xander51

I honestly wish this had come out at 40 bucks instead of 60. I really want to check this out as I'm a Eurocom fan (Dead Space Extraction's use of first-person was incredible and it looks like they've done some cool stuff with the perspective here also), but it seems beyond baffling to me to release this in such a crowded market at a full price point.

I echo the sentiment that this is just Activision fulfilling their Bond license, especially with that other shooter they're releasing next week. That doesn't mean I'm not interested though, just...I really think they're off with the price on this one.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone explain the different difficulties?

There is "operative", "agent", "007" and "classic 007".

I'm assuming "007" gives you all the objectives for a mission, but what else changes? In "classic 007", are there no regenerating health? are there health and armor packs? Are checkpoints gone?

tusken77

FlyinJ said:
Can someone explain the different difficulties?

There is "operative", "agent", "007" and "classic 007".

I'm assuming "007" gives you all the objectives for a mission, but what else changes? In "classic 007", are there no regenerating health? are there health and armor packs? Are checkpoints gone?

From Gamespot's review...

"The staying power of Reloaded stretches far beyond completion of the last level. This is a game that's meant to be played more than once because the higher difficulty levels do more than ramp up the ruthlessness of your enemies. The harder the game is, the more objectives you have to complete to move forward, and replaying these levels gives you a new appreciation for how well they're constructed. Rooms and routes you never realized existed are suddenly integral parts of the experience, making another playthrough feel fresh even though you're traipsing through the same environments. What's really interesting is how your health is managed. In all but the hardest difficulty level, you have regenerating health. Because you return to full strength by staying out of fire for a few seconds, the campaign veers on the easy side, though it's still challenging enough to make it rewarding when you do come out on top. But when you play on the hardest difficulty, your health no longer regenerates and you collect armor to save you from death. This raises the tension another notch, making you use every stealth trick you've learned to stay alive."

Also, 007 Classic apparently uses the original game's HUD.

Flunkie

Banned
Oh come on. I'm disappointed. I was expecting the original with very little deviation from the formula. And wtf where are my multiplayer maps that I know and love? :(

So do I want this? I did a Target B2G1F yesterday and picked up Rocksmith instead of this but I'm thinking I should go back and get this instead.

speculawyer said:
So do I want this? I did a Target B2G1F yesterday and picked up Rocksmith instead of this but I'm thinking I should go back and get this instead.
I don't know what to tell you. Some missions are excellent, some are really blah. The gunplay is average.

I'm actually torn between finishing the game, or selling it.

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Keep Rocksmith. The price of GoldenEye will bomba in 1-2 months.
I suspect Rocksmith will be cheap too though.

I'll probably just keep Rocksmith for now because it is too much hassle to deal with the return. I'll pick up GoldenEye later.

Qatar

can anyone confirm if split screen is available for online multiplayer?
local split screen won't be fun for me.

Veal

Is there any hope of this coming to PC? I already have the game on Wii, but I would really like to play it with the added visual fidelity AND good controls!

Qatar said:
can anyone confirm if split screen is available for online multiplayer?
local split screen won't be fun for me.
From what I saw last night there isn't splitscreen online - could be wrong though.

Flunkie

Banned
Para bailar La Bomba said:
Keep Rocksmith. The price of GoldenEye will bomba in 1-2 months.
That's why I feel like I shot myself in the foot for getting it with the B2G1 Target deal when I still don't have Gears 3 or Resistance 3. :(

StevieP

Banned
Flunkie said:
Oh come on. I'm disappointed. I was expecting the original with very little deviation from the formula. And wtf where are my multiplayer maps that I know and love? :(

I hope this is sarcasm.
You are aware of the legal issues of the original, are you not? A remake done with the spirit of the original (especially in 007 mode, where there is no regenerating health) is the closest they could get. Eurocom did a fine job.

Is there any hope of this coming to PC? I already have the game on Wii, but I would really like to play it with the added visual fidelity AND good controls!

I would double dip for a PC version as well, to be honest - but Dolphin has served me well.

gamespot said:
"Sharp controls, clever level design, and a wealth of gameplay options are the backbone of this exhilarating shooter, and it absolutely nails its core tenets. GoldenEye 007: Reloaded has no need to rely on nostalgia when it so expertly creates such thrilling new memories."

8.0/10

Hmm.. looks like they rated the Wii version higher.

8.5/10

Flunkie

Banned
StevieP said:
I hope this is sarcasm.
You are aware of the legal issues of the original, are you not? A remake done with the spirit of the original (especially in 007 mode, where there is no regenerating health) is the closest they could get. Eurocom did a fine job.
I am aware of all of the legal issues, I just.. I want my Goldeneye 64 back. :(

It would be a fine game if it were a 007 game on its own. :)

An extra smiley for emphasis. 0_o

StevieP

Banned
Flunkie said:
I am aware of all of the legal issues, I just.. I want my Goldeneye 64 back. :(

Pop the cart into your N64?

It would be a fine game if it were a 007 game on its own. :)

It's a re-imagining of the original game with modern conventions and settings based on the original. The script was re-written by the original writer to take those same locales into a somewhat-current climate. You're not going to be shooting a KF7 Soviet in the "Sumarian" jungle level, you're going to be shooting an AK47 (aka the gun the KF7 was based on) in the "Nigerian" jungle level.

Qatar

soxinthebox said:
From what I saw last night there isn't splitscreen online - could be wrong though.
then I guess I will get it when it goes on sale, or if PC version made available.

Struct09

Does the 360 version run at 60 fps? I thought I remember reading somewhere that only the PS3 version would run at 60.

EDIT: Looks like they both run at 60 fps, but PS3 version is 1080p.

Top Bottom