• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Cerium

there's no way to alter the course of a putt, right? i'm stuck on this hole at the cheekybird peak where i have to sink a putt in the middle of a bunch of birds and i have no clue what to do. :\

There is a way to alter a putt with the Whirly Putter from the Minigolf Course, but I was able to clear Cheekybird Peak without it. I don't recall the exact hole you're talking about so I'm afraid I can't help more than that.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Only a few hours in but loving it so far. The
Soda Bar/Groundskeeper/Hot Potato Shot
sequence between Coach and your protag was charming as hell.

Rigbones

Neo Member
According to reddit, there are several game-breaking bugs associated with the
Tidy Park Clubhouse

Anyone here experience them? Can someone put together a guide on how not to have your save file ruined? :/

Cerium

Is the
Island Tour
some kind of sick joke I don't get? It's not only hard as hell, you also only have
3 Hits for 4 Putts
. Never had a problem with the challenges, but this one... tuff.

You get 2 points for each hole you make. You're basically expected to make two holes of the three. Took me a few tries.

The Whirly Putter definitely helped.

Imur

You get an extra point if you get the ball directly in the hole instead of just in the target zone. So theoretically you could beat the challenge with only 2 out of 3 holes.

You get 2 points for each hole you make. You're basically expected to make two holes of the three. Took me a few tries.

The Whirly Putter definitely helped.

Thank you :) It's one of this famous moments where you have to ask someone and make it first try after posting.

stinkytick

Neo Member
there's no way to alter the course of a putt, right? i'm stuck on this hole at the cheekybird peak where i have to sink a putt in the middle of a bunch of birds and i have no clue what to do. :\

If I recall correctly the
area you're supposed to hit is a marked circle short of the hole (an area not covered by birds). The main problem of that putt is the speed due to the slope

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Finally beat that high wind challenge after not playing for awhile.

Also, disc golf is pretty fun once you know to only use left and right to steer the bugger.

ghibli99

Also, disc golf is pretty fun once you know to only use left and right to steer the bugger.
Yeah, I like it... and you gotta give yourself enough space for the disc to turn. I laughed at myself flying a disc around a goal near-endlessly at first!

I wish there was more to do with it tbh

My biggest complaint with this game (even though it’s probably my favourite game of the year so far) is that they loaded the trailer with so much stuff you can do with mowing and disc golf and drones and RC cars, but most of those things are one offs or tiny side activities

I wish a lot of that stuff was more fleshed out because all of the non-golf playable stuff has still been incredibly fun

i wanted to mowing to be like in putt putt :(

I'm afraid that my game glitches badly.

I'm hitting the balls to the respective colored birds and the red bird/ball combo won't count as working. Am I screwed here? :(

Edit: There's another red bird circle. Face palm.

So apparently I'm pathetic and am lost already. Second course ?

I found all the turtles, but have no clue what idol I'm supposed to find. Been all over course 1.

Yeah, I'm not skilled enough to beat the final tourney...

Guess I'll keep at it but I'm just not getting the shots to fall.

Edit: Maybe I should have less power and more skill points?

I seem to be stuck and feel like it’s not triggering something.
I’m at Tidy Park and have all of the vintage golf clubs (4 of 4)and completed all etiquette training (3 of 3) and when i talk to the caddie outside the clubhouse he still says come see him. I also can’t enter the Clubhouse.
Am I missing something?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I never received any experience for beating the 14 shot challenge in Lurker Valley even though that was one of the more difficult challenges so far.

I seem to be stuck and feel like it's not triggering something.
I'm at Tidy Park and have all of the vintage golf clubs (4 of 4)and completed all etiquette training (3 of 3) and when i talk to the caddie outside the clubhouse he still says come see him. I also can't enter the Clubhouse.
Am I missing something?
Did you get a caddy?

You gain the caddy by challenging Max Yards in a match at Bermuda Isle.

Visit Meredith (or whatever her name's is) office outside of the park.

I seem to be stuck and feel like it’s not triggering something.
I’m at Tidy Park and have all of the vintage golf clubs (4 of 4)and completed all etiquette training (3 of 3) and when i talk to the caddie outside the clubhouse he still says come see him. I also can’t enter the Clubhouse.
Am I missing something?

Have you
defeated Max Yards at Bermuda Isles
? Not sure what else it would be

Did you get a caddy?

You gain the caddy by challenging Max Yards in a match at Bermuda Isle.

Visit Meredith (or whatever her name's is) office outside of the park.

No, I need the caddy.
I thought the person that said come see him was supposed to be your caddie, lol. Wondered why he wouldn’t join.
Thanks!

About how long is the game? Add for the fact that im a complete noob and will get lost and confused about 100 times during the play through.

Doorman

Man, that Bermuda Isles
Island Tour putting challenge
sure seemed to come out of nowhere to be a huge kick in the
golf
balls. Everything up to this point has been pretty straightforward and normally not too tough, but it feels like the margin for error and degree of difficulty both just shot way out of whack for this particular challenge compared to anything else so far. I wonder why they decided to become so stingy for this one particular thing? Seems weird.

Pastry

Banned
I just laughed out loud at a game for the first time probably ever?

The most surprising thing about this game for me might be how on point the humor is.

watershed

Banned
Can someone explain putting to me? I don't understand it. It seems like it doesn't work like other swings with the 2 white marks in your swing meter. I'm confused is all I know.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Can someone explain putting to me? I don't understand it. It seems like it doesn't work like other swings with the 2 white marks in your swing meter. I'm confused is all I know.

Putting is a one click. Use LZ (short putt) and RZ (long putt) to fine tune if needed. Also use Y to use Precision Mode. Keep an eye on how the green slopes as well.

Just finished the final tournament. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of things to do in the game? I'm curious if I did everything. I'll probably go through and try to get medals on every hole

BTA

I'm as far as Tidy Park and it's not like I'm not enjoying most of my time with it, particularly as a podcast game, but I increasingly feel like people are playing a different game from me when they talk about how nice and charming it is.

It's definitely funny and has some charm to it, but I was told this had Earthbound-esque warmth/charm, particularly by that Eurogamer review. This really, really, doesn't have the kindness or compassion I understand that to imply.
The main plot really just being you having an angry ex-wife with a new man who's explicitly trying to take your money is such fucking lazy tropey garbage. It's bizarre and mean spirited and really puts a damper on the whole thing. It's so completely unnecessary, and what's even more disappointing is that there's even jokes during some of the relevant scenes that are well written so they can clearly write better than that. Did one of the devs have a bad divorce they felt the need to work through in the plot of the game, or did they just watch too many shitty movies or something? It just makes me feel gross during those scenes.

Fireblend

Banned
I agree that I don't know where the Earthbound comparisons are coming from. It's like people just equate Earthbound with plain quirky humor instead of the passion and emotion that is imbued into every line of that game, which is an absolute shame. The writing is ok in Golf Story, but some of the jokes and situations haven't really landed for me.

jlscool

For anyone who has 100%’ed the game, what am I missing? I’ve completed the all courses and the caching, but I have three empty spots in the Story menu. It’s the left side middle, and I have no idea what it could be..

You are missing all the GALF manuals.

Ladekabel

During the
investigation in the clubhouse
in Tiny Park
where are the red and the green golf balls? One is in the laundry bag I suppose but whenever I try to search it, it just says "someone forgot their washing".

Fireblend

Banned
During the
investigation in the clubhouse
in Tiny Park
where are the red and the green golf balls? One is in the laundry bag I suppose but whenever I try to search it, it just says "someone forgot their washing".

Did you get the Vinegar and put it in the shelf? If so:
Talk to Lara

there's no way to alter the course of a putt, right? i'm stuck on this hole at the cheekybird peak where i have to sink a putt in the middle of a bunch of birds and i have no clue what to do. :
Remember that you can affect the course of the ball by initial aim and power. So try varying one or the other but not both. You'll quickly get closer.

Top Bottom