• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

duckroll

Finished the Wellworn Grove Open. Messed up a couple of holes but still managed to end with -3 lol. Focus shot on the easier holes makes a huge difference! This game rocks when it's not making me worried that I can't play it anymore. :p

There is some "indie jank" that they're working on patching. If you get a soft freeze usually a save and quit will solve it.

Come on, it's way more than just "indie jank" here. This is by far one of the buggiest non-early access games I've played in a really, really long time. Lol.

Coxy100

Banned
Finished the Wellworn Grove Open. Messed up a couple of holes but still managed to end with -3 lol. Focus shot on the easier holes makes a huge difference! This game rocks when it's not making me worried that I can't play it anymore. :p

Come on, it's way more than just "indie jank" here. This is by far one of the buggiest non-early access games I've played in a really, really long time. Lol.

Agreed. It seems to be getting a big pass for all of the bugs too. I get the love for this game it's great. But the bugs? unacceptable when people can't even progress due to them and have to start again.

Agreed. It seems to be getting a big pass for all of the bugs too. I get the love for this game it's great. But the bugs? unacceptable when people can't even progress due to them and have to start again.

Lots of people have a hard time caring about game-ending bugs when it doesn't affect them.
Like me.

Zutrax

Very odd, because I'm about 4 worlds in and I haven't encountered a single bug (or at least any that I've noticed). I may have just been really lucky so far. I was surprised to hear so many people having issues.

The bugs really are indefensible. I had to restart once (thankfully only 30 mins in) because the game didn't save when I selected save & quit. That's like the worst kind of bug you can have.

Hasney

I only got stuck once early on, between the computer and an NPC in the first area and didn't have a single bug after that until I finished.

Use left and right, don't use up or down. Think of it as tank controls with auto movement, so you're turning it. Tap X to start instead of holding it down, so it goes slower and you can practice first. That was the super helpful advice I got earlier in the thread.

Actually, up and down affect your height/distance. For max distance, you wanna hold down until the disc peaks, then just focus on steering. Doing this with max power is overkill, but using it with softer throws will let you get the distance you need while keeping your speed to controllable levels. I only really use up as an emergency decent if I'm too high.

Edit: Upon further testing, this is wrong. Down will cause your disc to go higher, which is why I assumed it went further, but it'll descend sooner than it would otherwise. Just steering is the way to go probably.

I have yet to encounter a single bug of any kind. It's kinda blowing me away how many people are saying the game is broken, when it has been a completely flawless experience for me over the last 15ish hours or so (I think I'm nearing the end).

Perfect example of why QC and testing in games is so hard, and how bugs get shipped in final product: you can have people comb through the entire game without a hitch, then someone else might slam into a game-breaking glitch in the first 12 minutes.

Catvoca

Banned
I also had very few bugs. I think I had to restart once or twice but the game loads so fast I was back playing in less then a minute. Not denying people are having issues with bugs but saying "why are people giving this a pass!" seems silly when a lot of people haven't encountered major bugs themselves.

Hopefullly they fix everything up with a few patches.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I only got stuck once early on, between the computer and an NPC in the first area and didn't have a single bug after that until I finished.

lol exactly what happened to me....the girl was on the computer and i thought to see what would happen if i tried to click on the computer when she was on it, and i got stuck and had to quit/restart. Didn't lose any progress, so it was no biggie.

MrPanic

I mean, I did encounter the game not saving after a save&quit, causing me to lose over a hour of progress, making me have to complete the whole spooky area again and now making me return to world map before every save&quit because I don't trust the game to actually save when I press that button. I also had the game hard lock on the galf minigame, but that might have been for the better. That said tho, the bugs haven't ruined my enjoyment of the game yet, though the inconsistent saving is definitely a glaring issue.

Is there an easy way to tell where a quest is completed at?

Also I swear I picked up the drink for the kid at bermuda isles but now it is like it is gone.
They're are two drinks you have at different times. Maybe you're between them?

Not focusing on you in particular, but I feel like a lot of problems people are having could be solved by paying more attention to the speech bubbles?

Question...what is the purpose for being able to put a flag in any hole on a green that i walk up to?
Practice your slam dunk shots? Would love to know if there's more to it.

DMiz

Was going to pick up this game given then positive word of mouth, but given these reports of bugs, may hold off and wait until a more solid patch is confirmed to be released.

pbsapeer

Banned
Only bug I found was playing
disc golf and I managed to land the disk under a bench when challenging those 3 dudes near the bird place and it just going up and down over and over again. Just restarted and it was fine.

What does "Tee Up" mode do, exactly? Sometimes it shoots longer but I haven't quite found out why.

You mean the tee skill you can use during rounds? Or the "tee up" prompt you get when wandering around?

For the former, it lets you hit out of more favorable conditions (hit from a tee, vs hit from a bunker for example). For the latter, I think it's needed to correctly register certain shots, since they want to require a certain distance or shot path for certain skill shots you need to make, so requiring you to tee up at a specific tee accomplishes that.

Fireblend

Banned
You mean the tee skill you can use during rounds? Or the "tee up" prompt you get when wandering around?

For the former, it lets you hit out of more favorable conditions (hit from a tee, vs hit from a bunker for example). For the latter, I think it's needed to correctly register certain shots, since they want to require a certain distance or shot path for certain skill shots you need to make, so requiring you to tee up at a specific tee accomplishes that.

I meant the first. Thanks!

tebunker

Banned
Lots of people have a hard time caring about game-ending bugs when it doesn't affect them.
Like me.

This is probably it, admittedly. I don't want to talk much about my experience until I'm done for fear of jinxing myself but so far so good.
I am in the same boat here. Had one save and quit bug but it wasn't/isn't the end of the workd. Can empathize with folks having a more frustrating experience, but I also feel like at times the experience can be over stated.

What does "Tee Up" mode do, exactly? Sometimes it shoots longer but I haven't quite found out why.

In real golf hitting from a Tee is always better than from a lie in grass, sand, dirt what have you. The ball is elevated so theoretically you can get a cleaner shot with the full face of the club to ball. Thats why. Placing a tee on your shots will eliminate any turf/lie issues. /edit beaten!

enoki

That's wild, I've only had a single crash within the same amount of progress.

Hinedorf

Banned
My very first NeoGaf Post!

This game has cult hit written all over it. It's a combination between Pokémon/StarDew Valley and just happens to be on a golf course. 10 hours in thus far, couldn't recommend the game enough.

Cerium

This game has cult hit written all over it. It's a combination between Pokémon/StarDew Valley and just happens to be on a golf course. 10 hours in thus far, couldn't recommend the game enough.
It has the potential to really blow up I think. Stardew Valley launching this week might cut it off at the knees though; you just have to look in the announcement thread to see a bunch of people who were planning to get the game and have now decided to go for farming instead of golf. Also, obviously, the stability patch can't come soon enough.

Other than that though this has all the early markings of being one of those indie games that makes it big. There's nothing else like it on the market.

Having beaten
The Grand Championship (the pro course)
, is that it? Am I done? Kinda disappointing if so, I was still so hooked lol. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game and would recommend it to anyone, but I'm not sure how much I'll be replaying it when so much of it's strength is in the charm of its jokes. This had some good things going for it with the actual golf play, but I still prefer Toadstool Tour/Advance Tour's gameplay to it.

Also, what's up with that island to far east on the Cheekybeak Peak disc course? No, not that one, the one past it (though I don't know why that one's there either). Is there any... point to it? Did I hit some random target there earlier and completely forget?

Quick Edit: Jeez, didn't realize I had somehow put 16 hours in this already. I bought it two days ago. The Switch is too convenient sometimes.
I also have a problem.

Welcome! Enjoy your stay.

It has the potential to really blow up I think.
You do know this is #1 on multiple eShop stores?

Stardew Valley launching this week might cut it off at the knees though;
Good point. I'm not one of those as I typically don't like RPGs, but I do like Golf games.

Other than that though this has all the early markings of being one of those indie games that makes it big. There's nothing else like it on the market.
I wonder if Nintendo have saw this success and thought "yeah, we should have done another Mario Golf in that style"? Or whether we'd have ever seen a them do a "retro" golf game like this?

Machina

Banned
This is a great game. Bugger me Nintendo have had a year 1 to remember with the Switch. The turnaround is so miraculous, only they could have pulled it off.

I've had the game lock on me twice needing a reboot while talking to NPCs, and then there was a super weird bug where I was facing my rival in World 2, and holes 1-3 all went fine. Then on hole 4, my screen went black, but the music was still playing. I pressed a couple buttons, nothing happened, then I pressed one and I heard the sound of a golf ball sinking into the hole, and the screen came back and I'd won the hole. Hole 5 played normally, then hole 6 went black and the same thing happened. I rebooted and was able to play through the whole thing just fine. Funky!

With Stardew Valley coming this Thursday and I'm still on the World 2 boss of Mario + Rabbids, I'm not too fussed about the bugs cause I have plenty to play while the devs work them out. But aside from those mild annoyances I am absolutely loving this game and can't wait for them to touch it up. I'd love it if they made some kind of DLC pack that was a bunch of Mini Golf courses or something.

Cerium

With Stardew Valley coming this Thursday and I'm still on the World 2 boss of Mario + Rabbids, I'm not too fussed about the bugs cause I have plenty to play while the devs work them out. But aside from those mild annoyances I am absolutely loving this game and can't wait for them to touch it up. I'd love it if they made some kind of DLC pack that was a bunch of Mini Golf courses or something.

I was literally pondering yesterday how I would pay for a whole Mini Golf DLC expansion.

We need more Mini Golf in this game.

Mini Golf Story?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's great. The only tough thing is figuring out controls on the fly (pun intended) after you throw a disc down. Really messes me up.

Yeah, main reason why I said that. But maybe I was a bit harsh, I insisted a bit and much better at it now. It's still not the greatest mini-game / activity this game as to offer imho.

ZugZug123

Had a couple of bugs, like getting stuck between bed and side table when waking up one day, GALF freezing the game and other small issues that required restarting the game. Nothing game breaking.

On another note, Lorraine is such a tease,
asking me if I play tennis! I think they might be thinking about making Tennis Story, hum? I will def buy that too.

ZugZug123

I think it's great. The only tough thing is figuring out controls on the fly (pun intended) after you throw a disc down. Really messes me up.

The direction arrows are from the disc point of view, which completely messes me up if I have to throw it downwards (on screen). Still was able to get the Dynamo part after a few tries.

ZugZug123

I agree that I don't know where the Earthbound comparisons are coming from. It's like people just equate Earthbound with plain quirky humor instead of the passion and emotion that is imbued into every line of that game, which is an absolute shame. The writing is ok in Golf Story, but some of the jokes and situations haven't really landed for me.

The humor here is more deadpan than quirky, agreed on not seeing Earthbound in it and that is fine.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
This is the funniest game I've played in a long time. Like the whole Hemrich method thing is hilarious.

HeySeuss

I've not experienced as many bugs as others, but I've had to close the software and reopen it once, and it inexplicably saved back to the title screen once. The only other bug was the screen dimming got stuck in dim mode (not sure what it's called but when you leave the system idle) and I had to save and quit to fix it.

Honestly, I've experienced more bugs in Mario vs Rabbids than this game.

boxter432

not sure if it just my joycons, but the HD rumble is terrible, it sounds like my whole switch is going to explode, is tinny and metal sounding, and really is just unpleasant. had to turn it off.

not sure if it just my joycons, but the HD rumble is terrible, it sounds like my whole switch is going to explode, is tinny and metal sounding, and really is just unpleasant. had to turn it off.
They seem to have intentionally used the HD rumble as a programmable sound effect of sorts. It's both bizarre and really cool. The rumble in this game is also just strong in general.

boxter432

They seem to have intentionally used the HD rumble as a programmable sound effect of sorts. It's both bizarre and really cool. The rumble in this game is also just strong in general.

yeah its almost neat on some things, but really its super loud and makes it feel like something is loose in my cons...

tebunker

Banned
The humor here is more deadpan than quirky, agreed on not seeing Earthbound in it and that is fine.

I said similar things in the review thread. It is a lazy comparison. The humor is definitely more Caddyshack than EB. It just has some EB charm to a point.

Top Bottom