• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

VanWinkle

Finally bought the game. Have barely played so far but I'm loving the tone and music.

And literally the first time I've ever noticed HD Rumble without having to be told about and it subsequently pay close attention to notice. The amount of rumble maybe be slightly overboard but it's so cool that I'm fine with it.

Stencil

/ball nudges a pumpkin
/Leaves the fucking stratosphere

Lol dude for real. Also damn the things I'm going through for these old clubs...

Finally bought the game. Have barely played so far but I'm loving the tone and music.

And literally the first time I've ever noticed HD Rumble without having to be told about and it subsequently pay close attention to notice. The amount of rumble maybe be slightly overboard but it's so cool that I'm fine with it.

The HD Rumble when your ball goes off a cliff/down a hole is insane. It basically emulates a noise similar to jumping down a hole in Link to the Past.

This game is 2-3 QoL patches away from being great.

- I wish I was able to get out of challenges without literally going to the Switch menu and reloading the game, specially the longer ones.

- Wish I could see the entire course after the first overview video. The zoom out function isn't enough.

- We really need the option to be able to turn off course gimmicks, at least in quick play. I want pure golf not weird animal RNG.

- There are some challenges that I wish I could replay, and would give the game some more longevity like the course-maker's.

Small things that make me think the game could've used some more time in the oven for. I really hope the devs are thinking of expanding upon the game rather than just fixing bugs (which will also be very appreciated).
Yeah these are all great points

Also having trouble finding this, can anyone help?
Anybody knows where is the cache treasure of Bermuda Isles? I got the riddle talking about a long board and a red flag but I searched everywhere and found nothing...
Enter the level and look for the red flag.

Is there really no mass dialogue skip button?
B button is the closest you'll get. It skips the slow typewriter printing of each bubble (great if you're repeating a challenge) and dismisses the bubble (so there's no need to switch to the A button).

One thing I hope they fix (unless I'm missing something) is that 2 Players requires two controllers. Considering that you take turns, it should be possible to play with a single controller, and just hand off
But Switch comes with 2 as standard? Hand off would be cool though.

watershed

Banned
Finally had time to put about an hour into the game. I'm still learning the mechanics and am confused by some things. But I love that I can just drop a golf ball anytime, anywhere. The aesthetic is great and the writing is full of personality. Really promising start.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm a good 8 or so hours in, at the third area but I still don't have any focus shot (although I can see it in the story menu and on the buttons layout screen). Is this normal ?

Third area question.
I need to get the dynamo from the park and I cant find it. Ran around the entire disc golf park and didn't see anything.

TrutaS

So, I'm a good 8 or so hours in, at the third area but I still don't have any focus shot (although I can see it in the story menu and on the buttons layout screen). Is this normal ?

I think it’s either something in every shot you do, and doesn’t have a gameplay element or it’s the special colour shot you do when you do max power and perfect accuracy.

ZeroX03

Banned

- I wish I was able to get out of challenges without literally going to the Switch menu and reloading the game, specially the longer ones.

- Wish I could see the entire course after the first overview video. The zoom out function isn't enough.

- We really need the option to be able to turn off course gimmicks, at least in quick play. I want pure golf not weird animal RNG.

- There are some challenges that I wish I could replay, and would give the game some more longevity like the course-maker's.

Small things that make me think the game could've used some more time in the oven for. I really hope the devs are thinking of expanding upon the game rather than just fixing bugs (which will also be very appreciated).

All good suggestions!

Maiar_m

I think it’s either something in every shot you do, and doesn’t have a gameplay element or it’s the special colour shot you do when you do max power and perfect accuracy.

Nope, when you're doing a course (not a challenge AFAIK) you can press Up on the D-Pad and that switches you to Focus Shot, which ignores wind (and slows down the pendulum)

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's either something in every shot you do, and doesn't have a gameplay element or it's the special colour shot you do when you do max power and perfect accuracy.

Really ? That's weird, because on the buttons layout screen it shows d-pad UP for FOCUS shot and no matter what situation I'm in, it absolutely doesn't do anything when I press it.

Really ? That's weird, because on the buttons layout screen it shows d-pad UP for FOCUS shot and no matter what situation I'm in, it absolutely doesn't do anything when I press it.
You must be pressing it at the wrong time. You should be pressing at the point where you're able to adjust your aim. Before pressing A.

The "normal" bar changes to a green "focus" bar.

TrutaS

Nope, when you're doing a course (not a challenge AFAIK) you can press Up on the D-Pad and that switches you to Focus Shot, which ignores wind (and slows down the pendulum)

Wow, I'm in the third are and didn't even know about this. Will try it later tonight!

Exactly!

squid

Finished it today. Great game overall. There could've been a little more
once you become pro (the final tournament should've been more of a big deal).
But the story, the writing, the variety was fantastic. Loved the humour. Tidy Park was a really cool place
(the murder mystery was great)

Was pretty cool at the ending when
the camera pans out on the overworld, revealing it is in the shape of Australia.
Would love a Tennis Story (and there was a little hint at that, at least that's how it came across to me).

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
You must be praying it at the wrong time. You should be pressing at the point where you're able to adjust your aim. Before pressing A.

HwmB7t7krGnao.gif

F!ReW!Re

Still missing 1 of the old clubs.
Got the one from the pro-shop, archaeologist and it shows me 3 out of 4.
No notes on the last one :S

jacobeid

Banned
question, Im very stressed and I need a chill game, would this do it

Undoubtedly. This is probably the perfect game to fill that void.

Currently about 5 hours in and LOVING it. So glad that this turned out so well, and I'm happy that people seem to be buying it. More sports RPGs please.

Fliesen

uhm, when exactly did i get access to the "normal / focus / power / tee up" abilities.

I had the 'focus' label on my save game for like forever, but i was never taught how to use it, neither did pressing arrow up / arrow down anything.

Now i suddenly have 3 charges of special shots, and ... focus is amazing for chip-in eagles.

edit: could it be that you only get those in actual 9-hole-course-play and not random challenges? might have only tried in random 1-hole challenges.

Pastry

Banned
Does anyone have any advice on finding icy ores on the mountain level?

I have 4 but can’t find the 5th. Is it in the same area as the others or should I take the snowmobile and check the other place?

ggx2ac

Does anyone have any advice on finding icy ores on the mountain level?

I have 4 but can’t find the 5th. Is it in the same area as the others or should I take the snowmobile and check the other place?

The fifth icy core is frozen in an ice block like those frozen people. Progress with other parts of that area first: Take the snowmobile.

Pastry

Banned
The fifth icy core is frozen in an ice block like those frozen people. Progress with other parts of that area first: Take the snowmobile.

Thanks!!!

uhm, when exactly did i get access to the "normal / focus / power / tee up" abilities.

I had the 'focus' label on my save game for like forever, but i was never taught how to use it, neither did pressing arrow up / arrow down anything.

Now i suddenly have 3 charges of special shots, and ... focus is amazing for chip-in eagles.

edit: could it be that you only get those in actual 9-hole-course-play and not random challenges? might have only tried in random 1-hole challenges.

They’re only usable when playing 9 holes, you’re notified when the you get them the first time so you probably missed it.

Fliesen

Thanks!!!

They’re only usable when playing 9 holes, you’re notified when the you get them the first time so you probably missed it.

Oh, probably. Thanks! i wondered why i was taught that power shot, yet never able to use it.

That focus shot is hella convenient.

phanphare

Banned
The HD Rumble when your ball goes off a cliff/down a hole is insane. It basically emulates a noise similar to jumping down a hole in Link to the Past.

yeah that one is the best. that one and the rumble it does when a text bubble rotates diagonally to indicate some snark or uncertainty or whatever are the best hd rumble implementations next to Splatoon 2

octopiggy

I've just got to the Wellworn Grove Open and now all the slopes, literally all of them, are medium. Is it supposed to do this? Seems a strange way of making the game harder.

Zekes!

Enter the level and look for the red flag.
But Switch comes with 2 as standard? Hand off would be cool though.

This is true, but in this instance I was playing with my pro controller. I had to give my cousin the joycons so we could play two player when we should've been able to pass the pro controller back and forth. A minor gripe, but still.

Anyways, Area 2 has been pretty fine for me, I think I'm close to finishing it? I thought I saw some people saying it was bad?

Does the game only save when you select save & quit?

Reason I'm asking is because I played about half an hour on Saturday morning that I had to redo because the game didn't save when I selected save & quit for some reason. I was in the very beginning amassing enough money to pay for a lesson with Coach, so maybe I hadn't progressed far enough to warrant an in-game save?

Now I'm afraid to save & quit at all for fear of losing the 4 or so hours I've put in since.

jariw

Reason I'm asking is because I played about half an hour on Saturday morning that I had to redo because the game didn't save when I selected save & quit for some reason. I was in the very beginning amassing enough money to pay for a lesson with Coach, so maybe I hadn't progressed far enough to warrant an in-game save?

Now I'm afraid to save & quit at all for fear of losing the 4 or so hours I've put in since.

I have been bitten by that same bug you describe 3 times.

jlscool

My experience with saving is don't use the save and quit option. Just try to exit to the world map and it should save. Then hit home and close the game.

tebunker

Banned
You must be pressing it at the wrong time. You should be pressing at the point where you're able to adjust your aim. Before pressing A.

holy crap I am 12 ish hours in playing a neat 6 and wishing I had seen that a long time ago

is something broken with saving? I feel like it never saves and quits when i do it and i have to replay a bit. took a screenshot of level 2. then saved. now i load and im level 1

Cerium

is something broken with saving? I feel like it never saves and quits when i do it and i have to replay a bit. took a screenshot of level 2. then saved. now i load and im level 1

It does seem like a lot of people are having that problem in the beginning. I never exited the game that early so I can't speak for it personally.

Sorry, dumb question, but how do I save my game? Is there an option I'm not seeing somewhere?

Choose quit.

It does seem like a lot of people are having that problem in the beginning. I never exited the game that early so I can't speak for it personally.

Choose quit.

Ive put in like 3 hours into quick play for just screwing around in golf. super fun. decided to play story today in short bursts. HAd this happen twice now.

Top Bottom