• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Beepos

I'm really tight on funds this month so can only pick one up at the moment - Golf Story or Cuphead? Anyone have both? Thinking it might better to get CH if there are bugs to be patched for GS?

Fireblend

Banned
I'm really tight on funds this month so can only pick one up at the moment - Golf Story or Cuphead? Anywhere have both? Thinking it might better to get CH if they bugs to be patched for GS?

I'm almost done with GS but I'd go with Cuphead, mostly because of your reasons - the game could really use some QoL/bug-fixing patches before being a solid recommendation for me. They're very different games though, you can probably make up your own mind based on what you feel more like playing :p

Steamworld Dig 2 is my actual answer

Stoze

I also had very few bugs. I think I had to restart once or twice but the game loads so fast I was back playing in less then a minute. Not denying people are having issues with bugs but saying "why are people giving this a pass!" seems silly when a lot of people haven't encountered major bugs themselves.

Hopefullly they fix everything up with a few patches.

I have yet to encounter a single bug of any kind. It's kinda blowing me away how many people are saying the game is broken, when it has been a completely flawless experience for me over the last 15ish hours or so (I think I'm nearing the end).

Perfect example of why QC and testing in games is so hard, and how bugs get shipped in final product: you can have people comb through the entire game without a hitch, then someone else might slam into a game-breaking glitch in the first 12 minutes.
Even if you don't get things like soft-locks and not being able to progress, there's just a consistent lack of polish and user experience/interface stuff; Camera transitions can be abrupt and wonky, as is the zoom out function that's not very helpful, you can't quit from an activity without either going to the world map or having to exit the game, there's no restart option for activities, some activities don't show how many attempts/hits you have for some reason, that weird black line that appears on screen, etc..

I'm still liking it a lot and am impressed by how ambitious and varied it feels, but they definitely cut some corners (which isn't a surprise considering it's apparently a 1-year project by two people). I have a hard time seeing how anyone could consider it a flawless experience.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
Does the game autosave? I clipped into the pink haired girl at the PC and I'm worrying I'll need to start over when I reset :(

Enjoying the beginning otherwise!

Jagsrock

Banned
This game keeps impressing me. The story aspect of it is way deeper than I could have imagined.Th characters are all fantastic and the dialogue is just great.And it's pure wacky at times. The game also offers a lot of challenges to get distracted with it's just such a care free fun experience. Also minor spoiler maybe?
after you sign your new contract and get your reward. If you talk to the agent she asks you if you play tennis!! Could it be a teaser for Tennis StoRy omg pls

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'd like to play rhythm games like Thumper with HD Rumble headphones, please.

The sounds the joycons make when I put them against my ear when I throw balls in water or get one in the cup are so cool.

phanphare

Banned
tvsBGn2.jpg

LOL

I think I'm stuck.

I'm in the fourth area.
I'm doing the "Island Tour" from the guy you need the flippers to talk to and you need to do four putts, but you only have three hits? Not to mention, getting the ball into the areas is really difficult because of the slope.
Any help?

Cerium

I think I'm stuck.

I'm in the fourth area.
I'm doing the "Island Tour" from the guy you need the flippers to talk to and you need to do four putts, but you only have three hits? Not to mention, getting the ball into the areas is really difficult because of the slope.
Any help?

Getting the ball in the hole gets you two points. You need to make two of the three holes.

Whirly Putter helps.

Bridges

This might be a stupid question, but would I enjoy this game if I didn't care much for golf?

I like RPGs and this game looks very charming, but the last time I played a golf game was Toadstool Tour on Gamecube and I didn't like it, so if I'm not into those mechanics is there nothing for me here?

Pastry

Banned
Just beat the final tournament, that was next level hard for me lol.

Took me around 17 hours to beat the game, the best $15 I have spent in a long time.

Minor Coldwind Wastes spoiler:
the guy saying “mate i don’t even feel the cold” while violently shivering is the most australian thing in this game

Rezbit

Just finished up. Did quite a few of the side quests but not all, probably clocked in around the 12-14 hour mark. Came across one game crashing bug I think, so I got lucky.

Definitely enjoyed it - it's a lovely little game. Quite Australian in it's humour and writing. Love the use of the text boxes, and the HD rumble is probably the best use in any Switch game IMO. Simple golf mechanics, but detailed enough to remain engaging.

I will definitely play any other sport-related Story they come up with!

Cerium

This might be a stupid question, but would I enjoy this game if I didn't care much for golf?

I like RPGs and this game looks very charming, but the last time I played a golf game was Toadstool Tour on Gamecube and I didn't like it, so if I'm not into those mechanics is there nothing for me here?

Golf mechanics tend to be similar in most games but in my view this is definitely more RPG than golf.

Mikke

I love the game, but if you don't like the mechanics of golf games I don't think this is for you.
There's charming stuff beyond the golf aspect but it's mostly just there to take you to the next golf portion. Maybe watch a video of the first 30 minutes or so.

If they do a physical release, they'll have to patch the game up big time first.

They're already working on the first patch, and considering the compiled list they got from players, it'll be a doozy when it launches. Though for now I don't think they'll even consider a physical release till mid next year at the earliest.

Fliesen

Golf mechanics tend to be similar in most games but in my view this is definitely more RPG than golf.

i have to softly disagree on this.

Sure, there's plenty of conversations to be had, and there's a few 'character X wants item A, gives you item B, which you take to character Y, who in turn gives you' chains along the way. But even the
murder mystery
in the old-people fancy golf club involves collecting golf balls and using them to do putting :p

But like 95% of the quests / activities in this game are done via the golf mechanics. And character "customization" is exclusively golf related.

The interactions with characters are witty and fun, but if you REALLY don't care for the whole "aim - set power - set accuracy" mechanics of a golf game AT ALL, i'm not sure you'll be having a great time.
Just like I wouldn't recommend Stardew Valley to anyone who doesn't at least somewhat enjoy hoeing dirt, planting seeds, watering and harvesting crops :p

Cerium

i have to softly disagree on this.

Sure, there's plenty of conversations to be had, and there's a few 'character X wants item A, gives you item B, which you take to character Y, who in turn gives you' chains along the way.

But like 95% of the quests / activities in this game are done via the golf mechanics.

The interactions with characters are witty and fun, but if you REALLY don't care for the whole "aim - set power - set accuracy" mechanics of a golf game AT ALL, i'm not sure you'll be having a great time.
Just like I wouldn't recommend Stardew Valley to anyone who doesn't at least somewhat enjoy hoeing dirt, planting seeds, watering and harvesting crops :p

You have a point.

duckroll

I'm not sure if I really agree. I guess if we look at it as more than just competitive golf, sure, but even as a RPG, almost everything in the game revolves around golf. The story is about golf, the game mechanics are all golf related, the objectives all involve golfing somehow. There's a ton of variety and it's really cool, but I would not recommend this to someone who has no interest at all in golf as a theme, or someone who downright dislikes the gameplay of golf games. This game scratches the itch of the timing mechanics in golf swings, while using it for a lot more than just competitive scoring, but I think it would appeal the most to people who already like that sort of mechanic!

Fireblend

Banned
I'm at the very beginning of the day of the last tournament. Is that pretty much the end of the game? I'm pretty sure I've done everything else there is to do. Fun game, good to know I'll be ready for tomorrow's SDV release.

Neiteio

Having not really engaged with golf mechanics since, say, Toadstool Tour on GCN, I find them to be a refreshing substitute for "battles" in a typical RPG. Come to think of it, your typical RPG doesn't offer much interaction beyond battles and inventory/text. I like how Golf Story has additional forms of interaction such as noncompetitive golf (i.e. tee off to feed these fish), as well as alternative takes on the sport (i.e. disc, mini, drone).

Opa-Pa

Having not really engaged with golf mechanics since, say, Toadstool Tour on GCN, I find them to be a refreshing substitute for "battles" in a typical RPG. Come to think of it, your typical RPG doesn't offer much interaction beyond battles and inventory/text. I like how Golf Story has additional forms of interaction such as noncompetitive golf (i.e. tee off to feed these fish), as well as alternative takes on the sport (i.e. disc, mini, drone).

Yeah this aspect of the game has been pretty interesting. Obviously I expected something different due to the premise, but I never expected to have so much fun with side quests. The sheer variety of mechanics and the interactivity involved in everything you do in the game is very refreshing!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Asked before and don't recall seeing an answer....does anyone know the point behind being able to put a flag in any of the holes? I don't see a reason behind it...

Fliesen

Asked before and don't recall seeing an answer....does anyone know the point behind being able to put a flag in any of the holes? I don't see a reason behind it...

Lets you do a chip-in.

aye. a chip in is way harder without a flag in the hole - because it'll stop a ball that would have slightly overshot the hole.

done with the game as well now, btw.

That
fairy fountain
was certainly unexpected.

Also, the final shot, where the
camera zooms out to
reveal

brilliant.

Top Bottom