• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP to try to repeal and replace Obamacare after republican party reconciliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Politico

House Republicans are outlining a new deal that could revive their bid to repeal Obamacare — and set up an all-out sprint to make concrete progress on health care amid the specter of a government shutdown.

The flurry of activity just days before Congress returns to Washington aims to reunite the GOP behind Speaker Paul Ryan’s embattled American Health Care Act, offering concessions meant to win over the party’s moderate and conservative wings.

The deal — brokered by centrist Tuesday Group co-chair Tom MacArthur and hard-right Freedom Caucus head Mark Meadows — proposes giving states more flexibility to opt out of major Obamacare provisions, while at the same time preserving popular protections like the law’s ban on discrimination against people with pre-existing conditions.

It remains unclear whether the proposal can succeed in shifting any votes — President Donald Trump and leaders were forced to abandon a planned vote last month in the face of intraparty rebellion. They’ve since struggled to find a path forward, and even the deal being floated now relies largely on rehashing concepts lawmakers previously rejected.

RPGCrazied

If its the same plan it will fail again. No moderate Republican will vote for this, specially if the freedom caucus gets what it wants.

I mean, isn't it impossible for them to pass it now without democratic votes since they can no longer use the budget reconciliation to force a vote with a simple majority? What's the point of even trying now lol

Vyer

GOP *really* doesn't want people to have health care.

There must be some major money coming into their pockets

I mean, isn't it impossible for them to pass it now without democratic votes since they can no longer use the budget reconciliation to force a vote with a simple majority? What's the point of even trying now lol

Blame the Democrats when the vote fails instead of their own in-fighting? That's all I got.

I don't see how any of them can look at the results of the special elections so far and have a moderate Republican *not* worry about their seat in the midterms.

Geist-

Obligatory
good-luck.gif

Tahnit

Banned

I was wondering this too. Dems want single payer and that's all they will vote for.

Their final revised version, which basically tore out every single popular provision to get appeal from the freedom party, couldn't pass, what could they possibly do different this time?

Barzul

Is it the same bill? Then it's dead in the water once if reaches the Senate. They really want the news cycle reminding folks just how bad it was, sure then, will only help the cause to flip the House come 2018.

necrosis

lol this is going to blow up in their faces fucking spectacularly, provided democrats hold their ground

not that they really have any choice at this point, after focusing their party's platform specifically on repealing obamacare when it's not really feasible to do so

Since they can't use reconciliation, they'd need 60 votes to get this to pass.

No chance in hell this will get through the Senate even if it gets through the process of placating the cluster that is the House GOP.

Lo-Volt

Patients will illnesses who would get segregated into high-risk pools because of this new health plan are basically getting condemned to a life of fear and poverty because their plans would be caught in a spiral, no? And the rest of us would get sold "too good to be true" plans because the mandatory minimum coverage requirements would get removed. It sounds awful at first blush. This is a "moderate-friendly" solution?

Jakoo

If true, the OEP this year is going to be such a clusterfuck. As someone who works in health insurance IT, this is the time of year where insurance companies are trying to come up with rates to offer for on-Exchange plans. Those plan rating details (which are incredibly complex) need to be hashed out early enough in the year so they can be loaded into Federal/State Exchanges with enough time for the companies to verify everything has been loaded correctly.

If there is no clear guidance on what EHB's are even required at this point, or if they will change from state to state, issuers will potentially have to make massive actuarial changes to their plan data if their are regulatory changes. If Republicans try to make any of these changes effective this year, I am positive they will completely destroy Issuers ability to logically price any of their rates for 2018.

There are valid critiques about how the democrats handled the ACA but the Republicans have proven themselves to be intellectually dishonest and destructive participants of crafting health insurance legislation.

Tripon

It's so weird trying to have the House start this discussion because when it reaches the Senate, it's deader than a door nail. If Republicans want to have any sort of appeal, it'll have to start there with McConnell and Schumer negotiating something together so there would be some bipartisan deal that can muster some votes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
CNBC

A Freedom Caucus source told CNBC the changes to the health bill would secure 25 to 30 "yes" votes from the Freedom Caucus, and the new bill would get "very close" to 216 votes. The source said that 18 to 20 of those "yes" votes would be new.

Wait, has there actually been talk of a government shutdown?

When the Republicans control every wing of the government?

Oh my.

necrosis

Is it the same bill? Then it's dead in the water once if reaches the Senate. They really want the news cycle reminding folks just how bad it was, sure then, will only help the cause to flip the House come 2018.

reconciliation would/is going to be a shit show and i think the intent of the party's leadership is to try to use that to force democrats to the table

my hope is that, instead, democrats force the GOP to own said shit show

Foffy

Banned
Their final revised version, which basically tore out every single popular provision to get appeal from the freedom party, couldn't pass, what could they possibly do different this time?

They start from there and then try to find things to cut further.

Remember, their code word is access, for it gives the illusion of freedom, of choice, and accessibility.

They want to actually offer none of those things.

There were rumors the original bill was going to fail by over 100 votes, so they're going to need a bit more than 20 addition votes to pass.

This bill is disliked by 75% of people. After the last two weeks of elections, Republicans in districts where they only win by 5-10 points are not going to want to vote on something so hated by their constituents.

Especially since the vote would be nothing more than symbolic, as they still need Democrat senators to vote on this to pass the senate.

Izayoi

Banned
Why do they want a win that makes people hate them?
It's a party where a large majority of their voters vote against their own best interests.

If anything, doing tons of harm to their electorate will only serve to strengthen their party.

DrArchon

Wait, has there actually been talk of a government shutdown?

When the Republicans control every wing of the government?

Oh my.

See, what a lot of people don't get is that there are really multiple Republican parties within the main party, and they don't have much in common other than being general shitheels.

Too bad for all of them when this crashes and burns again they'll all get the blame (hopefully).

jelly

It's a party where a large majority of their voters vote against their own best interests.

If anything, doing tons of harm to their electorate will only serve to strengthen their party.

Surely something has to break the camels back, they can't be that dense. Isn't it obvious.

tuffy

Why do they want a win that makes people hate them?
Historically, politicians do actually try to accomplish what they promised to do, and the GOP had promised to "repeal Obamacare" for years and years. So trying to tilt at windmills one more time isn't that surprising considering their rhetoric.

But I remain unconvinced the GOP will ever be able to craft some major health care overhaul that could get through both the House and Senate.

iammeiam

Blame the Democrats when the vote fails instead of their own in-fighting? That's all I got.

Without the reconciliation loophole I do wonder if they'd seriously aim for this. Part of the problem for them with the original AHCA failure is it never got to a vote and could only be blamed on Republicans.

With the Democrats in Senate able to block, the GOP can go back to Obama era pushing of repeals they don't have to worry about actually happening. All the buzz of "keeping promises" and repealing Obamacare without having to actually worry about the backlash it would generate.

Xe4

Banned
Theoretically if it get's past the house (big if, lol), Senate Republicans could nuke the filibuster to get this passed. Though I highly doubt McConnell is going to get rid of it for as big of a failure as this bill is.

Theoretically if it get's past the house (big if, lol), Senate Republicans could nuke the filibuster to get this passed. Though I highly doubt McConnell is going to get rid of it for as big of a failure as this bill is.

McConnell isn't going to nuke the filibuster at all, but he's certainly not going to for such an unpopular bill.

Xe4

Banned
In all honesty, I'm in favor of them trying and trying again. This puts off them trying to get tax "reform" passed, which is something they may actually be able to agree on.

Anything that cuts peoples insurance is never going to get passed.

In all honesty, I'm in favor of them trying and trying again. This puts off them trying to get tax "reform" passed, which is something they may actually be able to agree on.

The confusing thing to me here is that this plan they're proposing wouldn't work with Tax Reform because too much is up in the air. If every state is given the option of possibly waiving benefits, then there's no way to factor in costs.

tuffy

As I understand it, tax reform is much harder than health care reform with a lot more moving parts involved. It took Reagan until his second term to finally get tax reform passed, that's how hard it was. So I don't see how it'll be possible, especially without the budget "savings" made possible by throwing millions of people off health insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom