• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP to try to repeal and replace Obamacare after republican party reconciliation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Americans like to play ping pong with the president's party. It doesn't matter who is running or the recent history of the parties, Americans will generally vote for the opposite party after a two term presidency. The same for midterms. Americans, in general, do not like when one party has full power, so, no matter what the party is or how successful they are, they vote in the opposite of the president's party because Americans generally believe bipartisanship leads to better legislation (probably because they are taught this in school).

I don't think the why of it is at all that well thought out. Americans are very distrustful of their (national) government. So once one party has been in control for a while, the "throw them out" mentality kicks in. Add to that how partisan, but also complacent and lazy we are, and I think you'll find the party not in the White House is always more motivated.

studyguy

Just kidding about taking the shot next week guys!

https://twitter.com/axios/status/855128428609249285
NEW: House leadership to White House: there won't be a healthcare vote on Wednesday

In regards to legislation and general politics under this administration:
Trump100Days5.png

I'm actually surprised it didn't pass the first time, people forget it barely didn't have enough votes, all this talk about republican politicians scared to answer to their "angry constituents" is not a real issue for most of them.

We will see that we should've hoped that first bill was passed once they reveal what this new freedom caucus approved bill is

Which is good reason to doubt your analysis of this version. That bill was doomed from the beginning. This is basically Bush's attempt at privatizing Social Security, with the added bonus of a president who doesn't understand why bringing this up over and over is a fool's errand because he makes Bush look like a competent executive.

Armaros

I'm actually surprised it didn't pass the first time, people forget it barely didn't have enough votes, all this talk about republican politicians scared to answer to their "angry constituents" is not a real issue for most of them.

We will see that we should've hoped that first bill was passed once they reveal what this new freedom caucus approved bill is

Barely didn't have enough Votes? Between the moderates and the HFC, there were as many as 30 outright no votes, and many more that were still on the fence, the bill could only afford 20 GOP no votes.

Being down 10-20 votes when you control government is not barely not passing, that's self destruction.

They don't want to upset their base and make enemies with talk radio

If moderated were jumping off the ship, why do you think Senators would stay on the ship when they don't get the benefit of gerrymandering?

Dude Abides

Banned
People cheered when the last bill flopped, but they didn't realize it flopped because it wasn't extreme enough. Ryan doesn't need the moderate republicans to pass this if he has the freedom caucus on board

This bill WILL go through, then the burden is the republican senate to keep Obamacare alive lol

You have no idea what you're talking about. They could have gotten the Freedom Caucus on board easily. What they could not do is both get the Freedom Caucus to support it without losing moderates. That dynamic hasn't changed.

You have no idea what you're talking about. They could have gotten the Freedom Caucus on board easily. What they could not do is both get the Freedom Caucus to support it without losing moderates. That dynamic hasn't changed.

And, the rumor was, had the bill actually come to the floor, it would have lost by nearly 100 votes. Moderates were fleeing from the 17% approval bill.

The only actual path for them is to the left.

IrishNinja

Not really. The GOP agenda is incompatible with modern America. They'll still be relevant as a political party but I doubt they will ever win the WH after Trump.

we were kinda saying this before trump though
do bear in mind that as historically shitty as he is, he still currently polls well with his base, who think he's doing a good job

like even a messy post 2018 impeachment might hand it back to the dems in 2020 but watch them run kaine or booker or someone & then get blown out by another populist candidate after that when automation continues taking jobs

Maxim726X

Ryan won't reveal the bill till he knows he has the votes to prevent further embarrassment

... Which is what any competent human being would have done the first time.

Still, I have little faith that he can draft something awful enough to get FC support and still somehow get moderates to sign off in the Senate.

Republicans heading for another embarrassing defeat, though I imagine this would will be much less public.

... Which is what any competent human being would have done the first time.

Still, I have little faith that he can draft something awful enough to get FC support and still somehow get moderates to sign off in the Senate.

Republicans heading for another embarrassing defeat, though I imagine this would will be much less public.

In conjunction with a government shutdown, it would be pretty public.

Blame the Democrats when the vote fails instead of their own in-fighting? That's all I got.

This. This vote will be about saving face so that the last sentence in the history of this attempt won't be one that merely outlines the GOP's abject failure but one that also looks superficially similar to obstructionism.

Oh don't mind me, just making sure the final nail in this coffin is in there NICE AND DEEP

https://twitter.com/AARPadvocates/st...03435565387776

It's not insanity, it's identity politics

Considering that Republicans always take the brunt of the blame when there's a gov't shutdown I can't even imagine what the backlash will be like if they shut it down while holding both Congress and the presindency. A lot of these GOP congressmen may not make it to midterm elections if that happens.

studyguy

This might be back on... maybe?

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/856992876324061184
Robert Costa (@costareports)
confirmed by a person close to Freedom Caucus: Meadows, Jordan, Labrador are now supportive of the changed HC bill, have told WH

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/856995688890150913
Haley Byrd (@byrdinator)
reliably told the HFC board is meeting tonight to discuss negotiated AHCA changes and the full group will meet tomorrow to see the text

tumblr_mtsyxjt4651qg2nqto2_250.gif

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/856997166170198016
Robert Costa (@costareports)
Here's the agreement, per sources: Meadows + MacArthur have an amendment that gives states the option of opting out of some Title 1 regs

MacArthur of the Tuesday Group moderates and Meadows of the HFC (fringe right conservatives).

studyguy

Wasn't MacArthur already for the original version?

Why yessir, he has been one of the dudes beating this dead horse for a minute now.

Apparently some HFC cats still aren't convinced anyway.
They likely never will be

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/857001611671080962
Haley Byrd‏@byrdinator ·
House Freedom Caucus member Andy Biggs tells me he's "leaning no" on AHCA with MacArthur amendment. Says he still has many problems with it.

sangreal

The new plan would let states decline to require insurers to offer a minimum set of benefits and provisions allowing health plans to charge people more based on their age and health status. States can also opt out of enforcing a 30 percent surcharge for people who don’t maintain insurance coverage but later seek to get covered again, according to a brief update sent to Energy and Commerce members. That’s the policy that the Republicans would use to replace the Obamacare individual mandate.

In exchange, states would have to set up a high-risk pool, presumably to push back on expected criticisms that the GOP plan would not help people with pre-existing conditions.

good grief

it's far from DOA, but outside of the HFC, who wants to be the one telling their voters "I changed my vote because we decided to let insurance companies charge more to old and sick people"? Especially for a bill the Senate is going to balk at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom