• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP to try to repeal and replace Obamacare after republican party reconciliation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This bill is just a ruse to make Senate Democrats look bad. If it passes the House, then the GOP can at least say they tried. There can be no bipartisan approach to health care these days.

Which is also a dumb plan because of how unpopular this bill was in the first place.

Ogodei

is there more info than the draft in the politico article? because the changes you mention don't jive with that

http://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000015b-8ab0-df96-a9db-dff115c30001

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republicans-health-care-deal_us_58f819f7e4b0cb086d7df486

Is where i'm getting it from. And i was mistaken, it's not Guaranteed Issue they're messing with, it's Community Rating Provision, which means you can't be denied a policy but they can hike the price to the point of effective denial, and price-hike for things as common as Diabetes or no-complication pregnancy.

Goliath

Not really. The GOP agenda is incompatible with modern America. They'll still be relevant as a political party but I doubt they will ever win the WH after Trump.

America has a short memory and we heard all this before after Bush jr. They won the white house while being associated with racists and other bigots. They have gotten away with making fun of the mentally ill and POWs. There is no low the Republican party can go that will prevent them from ever winning the WH.

Not really. The GOP agenda is incompatible with modern America. They'll still be relevant as a political party but I doubt they will ever win the WH after Trump.

Americans like to play ping pong with the president's party. It doesn't matter who is running or the recent history of the parties, Americans will generally vote for the opposite party after a two term presidency. The same for midterms. Americans, in general, do not like when one party has full power, so, no matter what the party is or how successful they are, they vote in the opposite of the president's party because Americans generally believe bipartisanship leads to better legislation (probably because they are taught this in school).

Ogodei

Americans like to play ping pong with the president's party. It doesn't matter who is running or the recent history of the parties, Americans will generally vote for the opposite party after a two term presidency. The same for midterms. Americans, in general, do not like when one party has full power, so, no matter what the party is or how successful they are, they vote in the opposite of the president's party because Americans generally believe bipartisanship leads to better legislation (probably because they are taught this in school).

In the days of increasing partisanship i think this just holds true because people get disillusioned when their party takes power and doesn't solve the world's problems, while the other party gets fired up about the progress the other party does make (e.g. demoralized Democrats in 2010, or the pending GOP demoralization as they watch their party flail aimlessly).

I'm not sure there are so many moderate voters out there who think that one party shouldn't get too powerful.

bachikarn

People said that about this election tho.

I do think there is an issue where more and more younger people are moving from swing states to liberal states and urban centers. With how the Electoral College is set up, this is bad for Dems.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Congress has only been bouncing back and forth between parties for a little over 20 years so I still hold out a little hope that continued Republican relevancy isn't a given.

Although 2010 was disappointing considering how massive 2008 was for Democrats and how horribly people viewed republicans after Bush.

Kin5290

This bill is just a ruse to make Senate Democrats look bad. If it passes the House, then the GOP can at least say they tried. There can be no bipartisan approach to health care these days.
Senate Republicans you mean? The Democrats would happily stop a Trumpcare 2.0 bill because it gives them a chance to look like heroes and win points with progressive partisans. But there are more than a few Republican Senators who couldn't not vote for a Trumpcare bill due to their constituents, but who would receive tons of fire for going against their party.

This whole thing, with Ryan trying to ram the AHCA through without due diligence to dump it on the Senate's lap, is basically one giant face saving exercise. Ryan wants to pin the blame for a Republicans failing to enact an Obamacare repeal while the party controls all branches of government on Senate Republicans for failing to overcome the filibuster instead of taking the blame himself.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Try to pass it, heck, pass it. By 2024 you'll have UHC from the backlash of taking healthcare from millions of people.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Charlie-Murphy-Laughing-Chappelles-Show-Prince.gif

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So they're trying the same thing again, but expecting different results? Way to go, you'll get it this time!

People cheered when the last bill flopped, but they didn't realize it flopped because it wasn't extreme enough. Ryan doesn't need the moderate republicans to pass this if he has the freedom caucus on board

This bill WILL go through, then the burden is the republican senate to keep Obamacare alive lol

People cheered when the last bill flopped, but they didn't realize it flopped because it wasn't extreme enough. Ryan doesn't need the moderate republicans to pass this if he has the freedom caucus on board

This bill WILL go through, then the burden is the republican senate to keep Obamacare alive lol

Yes he does, he needs their votes too.

Slacker

These assholes need to get over undoing Obama and look forward.

That's like saying someone writing 0-star reviews about Lady Gaga's latest album should shut up and produce their own music. They have no innate musical talent, no idea how to make music, and absolutely nothing interesting to say. Undoing Obama stuff is literally the only thing they know how to do.

Lemaitre

Banned

Yeah not sure what you're talking about. They need moderates on board as has already been pointed out countless times on here and in the media.

The issue here is that you can't appease the moderates AND the extreme right, which you need to do if you want this to pass. You alienate one group when you make concessions toward the other.

That's like saying someone writing 0-star reviews about Lady Gaga's latest album should shut up and produce their own music. They have no innate musical talent, no idea how to make music, and absolutely nothing interesting to say. Undoing Obama stuff is literally the only thing they know how to do.

That is an oddly specific example and I don't see it as being actually comparable to the situation Republicans now find themselves in.

Our tax dollars at work.

SMH

"They're getting more done in 3 months than Obama has gotten done in 8 years!" yelled Nancy the unemployed mother of 5 whose husband Joe was a coal miner now crippled with black lung. He relies on Obamacare to help him the medical expenses. "Republican party is for the people" Nancy says to me, she has a look of defiance in her eyes as she take a puff from her cigarette. In the background one of children-Ellie the youngest-starts to cry. The current political climate has really taken a visible toll on her, she takes another drag on her cigarette before she resumes her oft tangent filled tirade about how horrible Obama has been for the country (some of it questionably racist) and how Trump and Republicans will bring the country to former glory.

Dmented

Banned
Sooo next week it's back to the budget reform thing right? Then back to this around the end of may. Were stuck in a loop I think. We may need to reboot the server.

I mean... if this is what it's going to be like for 4 years.. sure, why not? Nothing gets done, people's hate will increase, and HOPEFULLY people fucking vote.

"They're getting more done in 3 months than Obama has gotten done in 8 years!" yelled Nancy the unemployed mother of 5 whose husband Joe was a coal miner now crippled with black lung. He relies on Obamacare to help him the medical expenses. "Republican party is for the people" Nancy says to me, she has a look of defiance in her eyes as she take a puff from her cigarette. In the background one of children-Ellie the youngest-starts to cry. The current political climate has really taken a visible toll on her, she takes another drag on her cigarette before she resumes her oft tangent filled tirade about how horrible Obama has been for the country (some of it questionably racist) and how Trump and Republicans will bring the country to former glory.

Reads like Russians yearning for the days of the USSR. Sounds about right.

Ac30

People said this in 2012. S'long as the electoral college exists they can win.

KoopaTheCasual

Your posts are always so annoyingly doom and gloom. Back in the live thread about the first bill vote, you were pretty damn sure it was going to pass.

Serious question: why?

From a completely logical standpoint, that's not possible, since the original bill already had very weak support from the moderate republicans, many of whom were outright No's.

So you're telling me the Tuesday Group is gonna be "cool" with a more extreme AHCA? Are you serious? You speak of the Freedom Caucus like they're this massive wing, but they're like what, 30 members? The Tuesday Group is almost 2:1 with the Freedom Caucus.

So, Trump needs some Democrats to come over to his side in order for him to keep his "Repeal Obamacare in 100 days" promise.

Will Democrats cross the aisle to help Trump look good, and make themselves look like total assholes?

So, Trump needs some Democrats to come over to his side in order for him to keep his "Repeal Obamacare in 100 days" promise.

Will Democrats cross the aisle to help Trump look good, and make themselves look like total assholes?

If they want to keep their seats? No.

Do they think appearing partisan will allow them to keep their seats? We'll see

Swiggins

Not a chance in hell. Stepping across the isle for THIS issue would be political suicide.

Your posts are always so annoyingly doom and gloom. Back in the live thread about the first bill vote, you were pretty damn sure it was going to pass.

Serious question: why?

From a completely logical standpoint, that's not possible, since the original bill already had very weak support from the moderate republicans, many of whom were outright No's.

So you're telling me the Tuesday Group is gonna be "cool" with a more extreme AHCA? Are you serious? You speak of the Freedom Caucus like they're this massive wing, but they're like what, 30 members? The Tuesday Group is almost 2:1 with the Freedom Caucus.

I'm actually surprised it didn't pass the first time, people forget it barely didn't have enough votes, all this talk about republican politicians scared to answer to their "angry constituents" is not a real issue for most of them.

We will see that we should've hoped that first bill was passed once they reveal what this new freedom caucus approved bill is

I think even the more right leaning Dems, at this point, won't touch anything he does with a 10 foot pole. He burned any and all political capital he had with the Democrats before he even got into office

I'm actually surprised it didn't pass the first time, people forget it barely didn't have enough votes, all this talk about republican politicians scared to answer to their "angry constituents" is not a real issue for most of them.

We will see that we should've hoped that first bill was passed once they reveal what this new freedom caucus approved bill is

Uh, receipts? I'm pretty sure it was well below the actual amount needed to pass the House.

No, you'll have the worst 100 days in Presidential history and you'll like it.

Worse 100 days than William Henry Harrison. If Trump had passed away from stress, then MAYBE I'd give him a better 100 days.

Besides, Democrats have already expected their hand across the isle. They've been clear they will help Trump...in improving Obamacare. They've done their part for bipartisanship.

How do you imagine it passing the Senate assuming it possibly could pass in the House?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
These guys are simply cementing Obamas status as a political ninja. How the FUCK did a black guy pass ANYTHING with these clowns actually controlling half the shit.

I really feel like Obama should get MORE recognition than he does.

That's my foreign take on it anyway, American politics are mind boggling.

If I were advising the Republicans I'd tell them to try and bring up Obamacare repeal every couple of weeks until the midterms.

Then again, my goal would not be for them to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom