• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got rid of my Series X

nick776

Long story, but after realizing Microsoft isn't releasing a Series X Pro, the fact that they are making more and more games Multiplatform and considering they still haven't updated the controller to modern technology and haptics, I sold my Series X today on FB Marketplace. I still have PS5 and Switch, but I'm done supporting the Xbox ecosystem. The GamePass price hike for me was the last straw, but not because I cannot afford it since I am somewhat affluent. Rather, it was the last straw because it demonstrates that Xbox has no intention of EVER doing what it says. It said there would be no price hike when Activision was acquired insofar as Call of Duty on Game Pass is concerned. That was an overt lie. Years and years of over promising and under delivering and now that they are seemingly abandoning Xbox hardware made me decide that I'm not going to be the fool anymore and keep spending my hard earned money on the xbox ecosystem that I have been in since 2005. Good bye, farewell.

anthony2690

CemWlYy.jpeg

Curious about how much you sold it for. Please tell us if you decide to buy another one in the next few months/years if you got it for cheaper or more than what you jus got. I am not the kind of person to sell stuff I own even if I stop using it and consider consoles the kind of nice things to hold onto for nostalgia purposes but if it works for you then it's all good.

nick776

Curious about how much you sold it for. Please tell us if you decide to buy another one in the next few months/years if you got it for cheaper or more than what you jus got. I am not the kind of person to sell stuff I own even if I stop using it and consider consoles the kind of nice things to hold onto for nostalgia purposes but if it works for you then it's all good.
Sold for $325, listed at $400 but multiple offers came back at $325 so I took one.

RCU005

They really should go third party, and dare I say it, make some second party deals with Nintendo and Sony. Xbox consoles don't sell. Microsoft has never had a good strategy because they are focused on the competition instead of themselves.

Nintendo was able to recover from the Gamecube because they focused to doing their own thing and what was innovative for the players. They recovered from the Wii U, because they did it again.

Sony recovered from the PS3 because they focused the later part of the console to do amazing games in their own way, and had a fantastic gen with the PS4 because they continued that momentum.

Microsoft is always thinking about how to beat Sony, or how to do things others are doing.

They have many powerful studios that could make them much more money buy being third party. The difficult part is going to be getting a competent management for that, because no one at Xbox is elegible for that.

Last edited:

RCU005

If MS decides to leave console business. Everyone will be complaining of arrogant Sony.

Sony is going to have an uphill battle next gen. The PS5 sold incredibly well, but they've lost a lot of good momentum already from the PS4 by lack of games and communication with their fans (both which they excelled at during PS3 and PS4 era). They prioritized GaaS model and it's going to bite them in the ass.

Next gen is going to be boring too. If Xbox drops out, Nintendo will win by default. Neither Sony or Microsoft will have great games next gen in time to make up for the boring, dull, slow gen this has been.

Cornbread78

I just had to buy CoD MWIII for my PS5 since I like playi g a couple matches a day, but tge network card in my X is going to shit, so games are a like a game pf red light, green light with the lag...

I sold mine a year ago, I'm staggered how bad Xbox has become but let's not pretend playstation is brilliant it's gone woke take me back to 360 days and as for PC who the fuck want's to sit at a desktop. Rant over oh and screw the person who comments 2nd after this post...... Only joking that guy or gal or whatever is the goat.

TheTony316

Sony is going to have an uphill battle next gen. The PS5 sold incredibly well, but they've lost a lot of good momentum already from the PS4 by lack of games and communication with their fans (both which they excelled at during PS3 and PS4 era). They prioritized GaaS model and it's going to bite them in the ass.

Next gen is going to be boring too. If Xbox drops out, Nintendo will win by default. Neither Sony or Microsoft will have great games next gen in time to make up for the boring, dull, slow gen this has been.

Nintendo could also have another Wii U situation. They have a tendency to screw up every other gen.

Last edited:

anthony2690

I miss the 360 era so much bros
I feel like part of this is due to how new and exciting online was at the time for many, literally everyone had Xbox live, a headset in game chat, and a lot of the ips we love/like today were new, fresh or exciting at the time.

I also miss psone era as again a lot of the games were new, exciting and fresh and sadly mostly forgotten now. (My poor ape escape) :(

havoc00

I feel like part of this is due to how new and exciting online was at the time for many, literally everyone had Xbox live, a headset in game chat, and a lot of the ips we love/like today were new, fresh or exciting at the time.

I also miss psone era as again a lot of the games were new, exciting and fresh and sadly mostly forgotten now. (My poor ape escape) :(
360 era just did a lot of things right sucks they threw all that good will away

djjinx2

I’d like to buy an Xbox actually. The upcoming games look good. Game Pass is great. But with how uncertain their console future looks I don’t know if I want to have my games tied to that ecosystem.
If you go the GamePass route, then all first party games would still be playable elsewhere, PC or Cloud.

Not valid if you want to actually purchase the games I know ;)

kensama

If MS decides to leave console business. Everyone will be complaining of arrogant Sony.

Humm no.

I don't know if you lived these era, but when Sony was quasi monopolistic with PS2 nobody complain about that and all best game were produced on it at this time.
It the same with the Super Famicom era where Nintendo got almost all of third publisher exclusive to them and again best game of this era were produced on SFC.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m in the same boat, haven’t gotten it sold yet though. Hopefully I’ll get some money for it in time for the Ps5 Pro release.

If I ever want to jump back I’ll probably just get a cheap Series S or something.

Last edited:
Humm no.

I don't know if you lived these era, but when Sony was quasi monopolistic with PS2 nobody complain about that and all best game were produced on it at this time.
It the same with the Super Famicom era where Nintendo got almost all of third publisher exclusive to them and again best game of this era were produced on SFC.
OG Xbox released a year after PS2 and Sega were big during Super Famicon years, so both had significant competition

Last edited:

Fess

I started using mine again. Dropped it for your exact reasons but found out it was still possible to stack cheap Xbox Live subscriptions and convert to Gamepass Ultimate. Prepaid til 2026, ends up as $5/month, nice.

Perfect timing to do some catching up since I finished Shadow of the Erdtree and upcoming big games aren’t out yet. Played through the campaign in Call of Duty MW3, first COD since 360 launch for me, enjoyed it much more than expected. Played some Kunitsu-Gami as well, strange game, and installed Sea of Stars, looks nice, and Octopath Traveller 2 and a couple more.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Sold for $325, listed at $400 but multiple offers came back at $325 so I took one.
Its decent price, all things considering, congratz, u can put it towards ur pc and get 1/3rd of ps5pr0-perfmance pc for 1k usd as of now, even :)

Alan Wake

I think the Series X is a great console. But Microsoft doesn't care about it anymore. There's nothing exciting going on hardware wise. Almost no special editions, no exciting updates, nothing.

I never sell my consoles but after being an Xbox first gamer since 2002 I am slowly moving over to PlayStation. It's obvious Microsoft is not interested in hardware anymore, for them it has probably always been a necessary evil. Now they've found a way to make money without it. Xbox is becoming an app. Their next (and final?) Xbox console will be a pricey thing for the die hard fans who just wants the logo on their console. Everyone else will be able to play XGS games on their PlayStation and PC. And phone. And TV.

Last edited:
In what reality was the OG Xbox "significant competition" to the PS2? It sold approximately 24 million units. PS2 sold 155 million units. If that's "significant competition" than Sony must have been utterly terrified of the WiiU.
If the OG Xbox was significant competition to PS2 then Steam Deck is sufficient as a competitor to PS5. This "competition" between MS and Sony has never been good to Sony or Nintendo customers, with these companies just adopting the greedy policies of MS and saying they did it first (paid online).

Last edited:
If it wasn't for easy couch coop with my kid, I'd be PC only too rn. I thought they really dropped the ball with the price increase news right after they gained some positive will in the wake of their summer showcase. MS gonna MS.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The savings you are making from the console and gamepass, you can get yourself a 4070(Ti)S and even abandon your PS5, if youa re willing to wait for releases.
Youll still be loaded up on games out the ass.

DragonNCM

I'm happy with my Series S & will keep it, as GP machine with so many games is perfect for my kids & me.
My PS5 is here for Sony exclusives (I wish there was more to play on it) & Series S for MS exclusives.
I'm one happy gamer !!!

Fess

It's obvious Microsoft is not interested in hardware anymore, for them it has probably always been a necessary evil. Now they've found a way to make money without it. Xbox is becoming an app. Their next (and final?) Xbox console will be a pricey thing for the die hard fans who just wants the logo on their console. Everyone else will be able to play XGS games on their PlayStation and PC. And phone. And TV.
Not sure they’re done with hardware yet. Plans can change but going by rumours they have a hybrid PC console coming, and a handheld.

A hybrid PC console mix could be fantastic if they can get Gamepass and Steam and other PC stores onto a powerful enough device with a slicker OS and UI than Windows, specifically made for the living room. Assuming it’s not a $2,000.

But yeah I think everything will be available everywhere, possibly timed exclusive to Xbox like Sony do with Playstation. Whatever they do now is going to be sold for day 1 access and convenience, one box for everything and no waiting and without PC jank and complexity.

Top Bottom