• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got rid of my Series X

Alan Wake

The games have already started to come out and I don't see them stopping with so many developers with projects almost completed.
Yeah, Hellblade II was just amazing, wasn't it... Joke aside, we don't know how good they'll actually be. We see obvious signs of mismanagement, they own so many studios now I don't know how they'll manage all of ABK... Owning studios is fine but getting them to produce is another thing. Compulsion was acquired in 2018 and we still don't know when their first game since We Happy Few that year will launch. Or if it'll be any good (from what I've seen, I doubt it'd be worth the wait).

Thing is, their multiplatform strategy will make owning an Xbox more and more useless.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
The Xbox Series (S and X) are great consoles.
The XBSX is solid and I (am one of the few?) that liked the design. The problem isn't the consoles, it is that I no longer have a reason to own one. I have hardly played games on the Series X because I always end up playing them on PC. I am not knocking MS for bringing PC gaming back. I applaud it. I think they are at their best when bringing games to PC. Game Pass on PC though has pretty much killed my desire to have an Xbox console. Especially now that I will get a better deal using PC Game Pass instead of the console versions if I continue the service.

buenoblue

I never bought a series console in the first place. As soon as they went first party day 1 on PC I was out.
G3wAE1j.jpeg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My best friend of 20 years who is as die hard of an Xbox fan as it gets. Recently sold his Series X and has moved exclusively to Steam.

Why not? Microsoft has given him no reason to own a console and no reason to continue to invest in their ecosystem.

Microsoft has done everything in their power to make their console useless. And somehow MS thinks Call of Duty on Gamepass will save them.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ps5 Pro & Switch 2 will be my combo next year.
I am REALLY hoping Switch 2 doesn't suck hardware wise.....

I'd love to see Nintendo games at 4K/60...thankfully it won't require anywhere near the level of Hardware needed as it would for PS5 games....

Last edited:

SenkiDala

The XBSX is solid and I (am one of the few?) that liked the design. The problem isn't the consoles, it is that I no longer have a reason to own one. I have hardly played games on the Series X because I always end up playing them on PC. I am not knocking MS for bringing PC gaming back. I applaud it. I think they are at their best when bringing games to PC. Game Pass on PC though has pretty much killed my desire to have an Xbox console. Especially now that I will get a better deal using PC Game Pass instead of the console versions if I continue the service.
Well yes it is a matter of choice. I love the XSX for what it is : a VERY capable gaming machine that does all I need, gaming with great graphics quality, good back combat, awesome controller, easy to use, plug and play.

For computer things I've my laptop that does all I need, but I don't play on it, I already work on a laptop all day long, that's enough.

nick776

I think the Series X is a great console. But Microsoft doesn't care about it anymore. There's nothing exciting going on hardware wise. Almost no special editions, no exciting updates, nothing.

I never sell my consoles but after being an Xbox first gamer since 2002 I am slowly moving over to PlayStation. It's obvious Microsoft is not interested in hardware anymore, for them it has probably always been a necessary evil. Now they've found a way to make money without it. Xbox is becoming an app. Their next (and final?) Xbox console will be a pricey thing for the die hard fans who just wants the logo on their console. Everyone else will be able to play XGS games on their PlayStation and PC. And phone. And TV.
That was a factor that led to my decision. I saw a post on here the other day where someone bought a Halo special edition 360 Console. Xbox has had practically ZERO special edition consoles. It has become apparent, especially over the past year, that Microsoft absolutely does not care about Xbox anymore. That is terribly sad because I do like it more than PS5, but with Microsoft not really backing it then it becomes hard to pump money into it. I also worry about whether or not my games will face the eventuality of being "lost." If Microsoft gives up on hardware altogether, what happens with all the digital games I've bought? I don't see PS5 going anywhere, because there will be a PS6, PS7, etc. Not so with Xbox.

Surprisingly, I never bought a Series S nor a Series X, but i still want a Series X eventually just to play halo regularly. I don't mind playing on my laptop but it struggles. Would be far more expensive to get a new capable computer rather than buying a Series S or X. Honestly the digital Series S would probably be more than enough for my needs. I'll see what Black Friday has to offer this year or go onto FB Marketplace. I'm in no rush.

nick776

Good for the new buyer I guess. It's a great piece of hardware that makes a lot of 360/og Xbox software look almost remastered out of the box.
Actually, the guy who bought it said he is only going to play one game on it--college football. He doesn't subscribe to game pass or play any other game and has no plans to do so.

nick776

There will be offerings next gen but they will look way different than what PS offers

But yeah I hate it too because I prefer the Xbox hardware (I know boo hiss from team blue)

The big boy Xbox may be a pass for me just all depends on how closely they can align with GTA6 launch
Are you thinking the next gen Xbox could launch in 2025 with GTA6?

dano1

A Sheep
Sony is going to have an uphill battle next gen. The PS5 sold incredibly well, but they've lost a lot of good momentum already from the PS4 by lack of games and communication with their fans (both which they excelled at during PS3 and PS4 era). They prioritized GaaS model and it's going to bite them in the ass.

Next gen is going to be boring too. If Xbox drops out, Nintendo will win by default. Neither Sony or Microsoft will have great games next gen in time to make up for the boring, dull, slow gen this has been.

PS5 unit sales are trending 7% ahead of PS4, and 66% ahead of PS3.

There are only 2 consoles to play games in 4K 60 (not Nintendo) If Xbox is gone Sony will pick up an extra 20 -30 million new customers

Last edited:

damidu

totally redundant box of plastic, if you have even just a midrange pc.
mine just stays in the corner, like a statue of "buyer's remorse" losing value constantly.
i would sell it, but dread the hassle. should probably donate.

Last edited:

kensama

Sony's market dominance in the PS2 era contributed hugely to their arrogance and subsequent failures in the early years of the PS3 generation.

"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does."

Imagine if there had been no Xbox at the time to offer an alternative?

And was it false?
Once the Ps3 was dominate by 1st party studio no any game was superior to Sony's first party game.
And at time we talk now PS3 is the most probematic console ever to be emulate even for Sony.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Are you thinking the next gen Xbox could launch in 2025 with GTA6?
I think there some at castle green that would love to make this happen

I brought it up close to a year ago I was hearing they wanted to be about 2 years ahead of the PS6 with their next gen box which will likely come at a significant price hike

I'm pissed that MS doesn't want to support the Xbox platform with exclusives, but it's where I keep my digital games. If we have a digital revolution in the future, it's the only place my games will be. I don't care about PC gaming, and I still don't trust Sony or Nintendo with digital safe keeping.

S0ULZB0URNE

I'm pissed that MS doesn't want to support the Xbox platform with exclusives, but it's where I keep my digital games. If we have a digital revolution in the future, it's the only place my games will be. I don't care about PC gaming, and I still don't trust Sony or Nintendo with digital safe keeping.
You trust a company who at one time wanted online at all times,no used games and kinect has to be connected?

nick776

totally redundant box of plastic, even with a midrange pc.
mine just stays in the corner, like a statue of "buyer's remorse" losing value constantly.
i would sell it, but dread the hassle. should probably donate.
I actually thought about throwing mine away. The hassle of selling was significant. In the end, I decided it was wasteful to just throw it away so I listed on FB marketplace.
I think there some at castle green that would love to make this happen

I brought it up close to a year ago I was hearing they wanted to be about 2 years ahead of the PS6 with their next gen box which will likely come at a significant price hike
I would HAPPILY pay $2k or above for a super powerful machine with every ounce of power imaginable. Give me something most sane people won't pay for and make it worthwhile and I'll be happy.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Only the established franchises seem like they will go day and date release with Xbox.

Releases on Xbox will go on Gamepass while MP games will be $70

Franchises not established on other systems will likely stay Xbox only, at least for quite a while.....like Avowed and Fable.

So should have kept the XSX for a while at least. Unless you don't make much money and need to sell.

salva

Long story, but after realizing Microsoft isn't releasing a Series X Pro, the fact that they are making more and more games Multiplatform and considering they still haven't updated the controller to modern technology and haptics, I sold my Series X today on FB Marketplace. I still have PS5 and Switch, but I'm done supporting the Xbox ecosystem. The GamePass price hike for me was the last straw, but not because I cannot afford it since I am somewhat affluent. Rather, it was the last straw because it demonstrates that Xbox has no intention of EVER doing what it says. It said there would be no price hike when Activision was acquired insofar as Call of Duty on Game Pass is concerned. That was an overt lie. Years and years of over promising and under delivering and now that they are seemingly abandoning Xbox hardware made me decide that I'm not going to be the fool anymore and keep spending my hard earned money on the xbox ecosystem that I have been in since 2005. Good bye, farewell.
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
How's work been? Family good? Don't be a stranger, hope to hear from you soon again.
Take care

nick776

Thanks for keeping us up to date.
How's work been? Family good? Don't be a stranger, hope to hear from you soon again.
Take care
I think you
It's bizarre that they went out of their way to release an updated "series" controller, yet left the same rumble from 2005 inside. Sony learned from Nintendo, so why didn't Microsoft?
Yes, that is mind blowing. Playing the same game on Series X and then on PS5 feels like the Series X version is a generation behind if the game properly implements haptics. The controller is something they should have fixed as soon as Xbox management saw the Dualsense. They could have easily modified the existing controller much like Sony did with rumble in the early days of PS1 and PS3. Microsoft chose not to, though. I know countless people who literally chose PS5 over Series X because of the haptics. It was such an EASY fix, yet Microsoft chose to ignore it and just cram 20 year old controller technology down our throats (don't even get me started on lack of gyro controls).

Alan Wake

If the OG Xbox was significant competition to PS2 then Steam Deck is sufficient as a competitor to PS5. This "competition" between MS and Sony has never been good to Sony or Nintendo customers, with these companies just adopting the greedy policies of MS and saying they did it first (paid online).
Competition is necessary. When Sony becomes arrogant, things like PS3 happens.

Alan Wake

I think you

Yes, that is mind blowing. Playing the same game on Series X and then on PS5 feels like the Series X version is a generation behind if the game properly implements haptics. The controller is something they should have fixed as soon as Xbox management saw the Dualsense. They could have easily modified the existing controller much like Sony did with rumble in the early days of PS1 and PS3. Microsoft chose not to, though. I know countless people who literally chose PS5 over Series X because of the haptics. It was such an EASY fix, yet Microsoft chose to ignore it and just cram 20 year old controller technology down our throats (don't even get me started on lack of gyro controls).
The Series X/S controller is a lazy one. The Xbox One controller at least had some improvements, but I think the Series controller is a tiny bit worse. I can't stand that clicky D pad and the rumble is, like you say, old. They apparently had an upgrade in the works but just like with the cylinder "all adorably" digital console they seem to have ditched ut. Like we said, they don't care (and granted, a new controller wouldn't do much to improve sales or anything). I bought the Elite Series 2 controller from the Xbox Design Lab and loved it. Until the right trigger stopped working the other day...

Last edited:
It's bizarre that they went out of their way to release an updated "series" controller, yet left the same rumble from 2005 inside. Sony learned from Nintendo, so why didn't Microsoft?
Nobody learnt from Nintendo, the Steam controller was the first gaming device with haptic feedback. Not to mention, the haptics were a natural evolution of the vibration motor as seen in the mobile phone industry. Also, the haptics on the Dualsense are on a different level when compared to the horrendously weak haptics on the Switch and Steam Deck. Personally, Dualsense >> Old school vibration motor >>>> Weak-ass switch haptics.

Markio128

Gold Member
Competition is necessary. When Sony becomes arrogant, things like PS3 happens.
I may be being ignorant here, but the only misstep I recall regarding PS3 was the price of the console, due to its design. There were some amazing games released on it, so not sure where the arrogance remark comes from, especially considering that MS were competitive with Sony at that time.
Confused What The GIF by Sesame Street

Top Bottom