• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got rid of my Series X

thatJohann

Yeah I got rid of mine a long time ago. I do miss my BC collection across all the Xbox generations but I just wasn’t using it for anything new.

Alan Wake

Did you even watch the June showcase?
Of course. Xbox has had good showcases many times now and yet we're waiting for that great game. I have high hopes for Indy, since Machinegames are talented developers, but so many games at XGS have ended up in developer's hell that I won't fool myself and get overhyped about future Xbox games anymore.

Alan Wake

My perspective on this is quite simple, having also sold my Series X last year. At the end of the day, all the corps just want our money, but MS deserve it less than Nintendo and Sony. They take no risks, or do anything remotely interesting in the console space. They’ve never released a handheld, or VR, or changed the controller in any meaningful way. All they’ve done this gen is market the shit out of gamepass, buy large publishers, and release 1st party games on other consoles. Be still my beating heart.
To be fair, they did. Xbox and Xbox 360 did great things. They just don't do it anymore.

Gaming nerds like us use to say that Xbox has lost (again) but I actually think Microsoft are pretty content with where they are. The ABK deal is done, Game Pass is expanding to new platforms and screens. They are finally moving away from hardware, which has always been a necessary evil for them, and can focus on what they really want to sell: games and services. For me, Xbox has always been a gaming platform, a good console with a great controller, an ecosystem that offers something different. So I probably won't stick with them for much longer. I mean, if I can play most of their games on PS5 anyway...

I bought the Series S at $150 figuring I’d jump in and out of GP a month here and there. But since then I got a Steam Deck and Steam family sharing and a guy in there adds practically every Xbox game. So I’m not even using my Series S or doing a month of GP occasionally.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You'll be selling the Ps5 next, I guarantee you.

MIne's been turned off for a full month as of today, the last game I played was Chernoblyte cause gamefly only had the PS5 copy physically. I'm leaning towards selling it after games like Sh2 later in the year too, but might keep it cause at least having 2 consoles mean broader rental coverage.

I still haven't bought a console this gen. Been waiting. I'd buy a cheap series X for $250 or so simply to play Baldur's Gate 3 with my Dad, but I won't pay $500 for essentially a 4 1/2 y/o console. I can wait, either I'll find one for cheap, or BG3 will get crossplay. Hopefully just 1 more patch away.

Astray

Sony is going to have an uphill battle next gen. The PS5 sold incredibly well, but they've lost a lot of good momentum already from the PS4 by lack of games and communication with their fans (both which they excelled at during PS3 and PS4 era). They prioritized GaaS model and it's going to bite them in the ass.

Next gen is going to be boring too. If Xbox drops out, Nintendo will win by default. Neither Sony or Microsoft will have great games next gen in time to make up for the boring, dull, slow gen this has been.
It depends on how much power the Switch 2 has, and whether it has strong adoption or not.

I think Playstation will logically have to look into getting deeper into handhelds and the PC space in order to expand their market size. Nintendo might think to try going back into the high-end console market again, given that this ocean is getting a lot bluer now with Xbox leaving.

Fess

MIne's been turned off for a full month as of today, the last game I played was Chernoblyte cause gamefly only had the PS5 copy physically. I'm leaning towards selling it after games like Sh2 later in the year too, but might keep it cause at least having 2 consoles mean broader rental coverage.
I’ve only used mine for the Stellar Blade demo this year.
They’ve messed up the equation for me. Feels like I lose however I do it. The games they’ve released I’ll rather play on PC and I don’t want to buy them twice and they don’t talk about when the ports may come or even hint it. So, wait an unknown number of years or essentially pay $140 for every game. I understand why they do this but I still hate it.

However, Astrobot looks fantastic and I’m not sure that will ever come to PC so I could see myself buy that.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Thanks to Steam Deck, XBPlay, and Chiaki4Deck I've used my consoles more that I have in years. Remote play capability to Deck is awesome. I was playing Jedi Outcast via remote play from my PS5 and it was great.

King Dazzar

I got rid of my launch date one a while back. But just recently picked another one up, primarily so I can have access to my BC Xbox digital library. I see it as an access point to my digital library from the past. All my library investment, for the past couple of years and moving forward is with PlayStation.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got rid of my launch date one a while back. But just recently picked another one up, primarily so I can have access to my BC Xbox digital library. I see it as an access point to my digital library from the past. All my library investment, for the past couple of years and moving forward is with PlayStation.
I've stopped buying new games on Xbox because there's really no point to any more, but I keep mine because of the back compat library. There were a few years last gen where some multiplat games were best on One X and I don't want to re-buy them. I still play a lot of old 360 games on it, too. Going forward I'll be buying multiplat games on PS5 or Steam.

I miss the 360 era so much bros
Same here. I missed the PS3/360 gen so much I recently picked up both and a bunch of games. Am enjoying the games more than anything this gen has put out. The amount of franchises and games that gen were amazing. Games like FEAR, Dark Sector, The Darkness, Medal of Honor and so many others to pick from. The variety was unmatched imo. Xbox wasn’t the same after the One released and has gone downhill so much. Sad because I also agree Sony needs competition for them to be at their best.

Little Mac

Gold Member
2023 was rough for Xbox fans. I’ve been a diehard xbox gamer since the disastrous ps3 launch, but 2023 kinda broke me. Late last year, I traded in my launch Series S and instead of upgrading to an X like was planned, after much deliberation and advice from a handful of gaf members I respect, I ended up buying a ps5 slim. As 2024 unfolds, I know I made the right decision.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I also sold my SX last year, but not because I dislike MS's output. It's just because of PC Game Pass, since I prefer playing on my PC.
The app still lacks a bit, but it's better than it used to. And for the MS games I know i'll be playing for a long time, I prefer to get them on Steam.

The SX is a great console though. Overall, I absolutely prefer it to the PS5. Quick resume, very quiet and nice design.
If I was mainly a console player I would definitely been using it a lot.

FlyyGOD

Of course. Xbox has had good showcases many times now and yet we're waiting for that great game. I have high hopes for Indy, since Machinegames are talented developers, but so many games at XGS have ended up in developer's hell that I won't fool myself and get overhyped about future Xbox games anymore.
The games have already started to come out and I don't see them stopping with so many developers with projects almost completed.

FlyyGOD

2023 was rough for Xbox fans. I’ve been a diehard xbox gamer since the disastrous ps3 launch, but 2023 kinda broke me. Late last year, I traded in my launch Series S and instead of upgrading to an X like was planned, after much deliberation and advice from a handful of gaf members I respect, I ended up buying a ps5 slim. As 2024 unfolds, I know I made the right decision.
You say this after seeing Sony's future roadmap? I'm not seeing what Sony has coming out that moves the needle.

RAIDEN1

How slim is the PS5 really? For me I don't regret not buying a PS5 and just sticking with the Series X, more so because of its backwards compatibility (For Sony they don't give a dam about there PS1-3 legacy) yet some of the games from those eras have not been bettered to this day...the PS4 Pro for me remains, and will likely remain the last Playstation console I get...unless PS6 is something REALLY special

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
If MS decides to leave console business. Everyone will be complaining of arrogant Sony.
Sony does not need Microsoft in the console business to be arrogant. MS isn't giving them significant competition this generation and it looks doubtful for the next generation. MS has moved on from the traditional console market being a priority regardless of what they bring next. People act like there was a time MS was not in the market. Both Nintendo and Sony will be fine if MS bows out. If not, someone else will step in or we will all move on to another hobby. MS/Nintendo/Sony does not control the market, collectively we do and the market will go where people spend money (unfortunately in some cases).

As for OP selling his Xbox. When I first saw this post late last night I had the wanking gif in my mind. Now, I am actually leaning toward selling mine and picking up a stop gap handheld. I already know I am not going Xbox console next gen (unless it is a kick ass Xbox branded PC or handheld). It has nothing to do with not playing Xbox games but I have been playing them on PC mostly this gen anyway. Phil got his wish; I do not need a console to play Xbox games.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sony does not need Microsoft in the console business to be arrogant. MS isn't giving them significant competition this generation and it looks doubtful for the next generation. MS has moved on from the traditional console market being a priority regardless of what they bring next. People act like there was a time MS was not in the market. Both Nintendo and Sony will be fine if MS bows out. If not, someone else will step in or we will all move on to another hobby. MS/Nintendo/Sony does not control the market, collectively we do and the market will go where people spend money (unfortunately in some cases).
Steve Bannon Bingo GIF

Generic

If the OG Xbox was significant competition to PS2 then Steam Deck is sufficient as a competitor to PS5. This "competition" between MS and Sony has never been good to Sony or Nintendo customers, with these companies just adopting the greedy policies of MS and saying they did it first (paid online).
Sony increased the price of the PS+ before Microsoft did the same with Gamepass.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is it wrong that it makes me sad? It seems like to me, from the outside looking in, Phil ruined a good thing....

Big Brother Omg GIF by Global TV
There will be offerings next gen but they will look way different than what PS offers

But yeah I hate it too because I prefer the Xbox hardware (I know boo hiss from team blue)

The big boy Xbox may be a pass for me just all depends on how closely they can align with GTA6 launch

Borowski_1

If 2023 was bad for Xbox, what can you say about Sony? It was even worse

Bojji

I sold my SX last year. PC and PS5 have all the games (there is nothing exclusive to just series consoles) plus gamepass is much better deal on PC.

MS fucked their own product.

Mobilemofo

Humm no.

I don't know if you lived these era, but when Sony was quasi monopolistic with PS2 nobody complain about that and all best game were produced on it at this time.
It the same with the Super Famicom era where Nintendo got almost all of third publisher exclusive to them and again best game of this era were produced on SFC.
You clearly forgot about arrogant Sony pre PS3 launch. "People will work two jobs", he said. No. No they didnt and that reflected in the early numbers. Nobody wants arrogant Sony. Nobody.

Borowski_1

Wish MS was more clear about the games remaining exclusives or not. Are Indiana Jones, Hellblade, etc coming to PS5 or not?

And spare me the "just buy a PC" talk. PC players and console players have different priorities

Three

Sony increased the price of the PS+ before Microsoft did the same with Gamepass.
What's that got to do with introducing policies like paid online? Also you forgot that Gamepass increased prices first last year in June. Then PS+ did it after in Sept. Not that "he started it" for price increases is a valid point about greedy policies regardless.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

The inherent value of consoles this generation is so much smaller than it was in previous generations. The rampant greed of the publishers is rendering them largely pointless if you have a gaming PC, or want to invest in one.

m14

Humm no.

I don't know if you lived these era, but when Sony was quasi monopolistic with PS2 nobody complain about that and all best game were produced on it at this time.
It the same with the Super Famicom era where Nintendo got almost all of third publisher exclusive to them and again best game of this era were produced on SFC.
Sony's market dominance in the PS2 era contributed hugely to their arrogance and subsequent failures in the early years of the PS3 generation.

"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does."

Imagine if there had been no Xbox at the time to offer an alternative?

King Dazzar

Is it wrong that it makes me sad? To me, from the outside looking in, Phil ruined a good thing....

Big Brother Omg GIF by Global TV
It certainly fucks me off. I really enjoyed the X1X and all the enhancements it got - still one of the main reasons I enjoy my XSX. They could have turned a corner this gen. We could have been eating sirloin steaks with peppercorn sauce. Instead we've got Burger King. And even the coke is flat.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I mainly got mine for Xbox/Xbox 360 backwards compatibility and the Rare replay collection. It's been great for that stuff, but if it was my only console I wouldn't be thrillled.

SenkiDala

Seriously now, that Xbox bashing I see from some members is exaggerated.

The Xbox Series (S and X) are great consoles. A lot of great games, 3rd parties obviously (all the most popular series, Resident Evil, all Uni games, many more JRPGs than before such as Octopath Travelers and Visions of Mana, etc), but also 1st parties that are also great (still think that if someday Starfield is on PS5 the critics against the game will be much nicer), much more 1st parties coming, Indy, Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Gears, and many others...

There are plenty of games to play on Xbox.

And what I don't understand honestly is the people against the GP, of course you can think that it devaluate the prices of videos games, and their "values", but it is not like you can't just buy them normally... If you want purchase Forza Horizon 5... Well, do it.

The only 2 things that are unacceptable for me are :
1) Not releasing some 1st party games in retails, boxed. Like Hellblade 2. I just don't get it, it might be to "push" people to sub to GP but... I don't think that anyway who wanted to play it on GP anyways will be "oh I could play it with my sub but I prefer to pay 50$ to play it now"... So that sucks, they need to fix this.
2) The lack of advertisement... No need to say how MS is rich. Why the fuck they don't advertise more their games ? Hellblade 2 once again almost had no ads, same for Forza Motorsports... Why ? You have the budget, you want people to sub to GP... And even recently I mean wtf they have MW3 on GP, BO6 at release on GP, they should start to make ads now on TV, on YouTube, in streets, in all big cities, but no... They think the mass market will guess by themselves that MW3 and BO6 are on GP... That's by far what I hate the most about MS, this is astonishing, really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom