• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got rid of my Series X

If the OG Xbox was significant competition to PS2 then Steam Deck is sufficient as a competitor to PS5. This "competition" between MS and Sony has never been good to Sony or Nintendo customers, with these companies just adopting the greedy policies of MS and saying they did it first (paid online).
Good point

kensama

OG Xbox released a year after PS2 and Sega were big during Super Famicon years, so both had significant competition

Not really cause during PS2 era Xbox OG don't get all or almost 3rd party title. So there was no competition. And if it was not Microsoft behind the Xbox, it would be like many console as the 3DO, we never see an another console after this one from Xbox.

For Sega during SFC era there was only a little competition and not significant as like for the PS2, every major 3rd party title was only on SFC.

So thos 2 era can be on my personal point of view see as a monopolistic situation for both Sony and Nintendo.

At this point Xbox console makes sense only if you are gonna commit to it and gamepass.

If you have multiple systems, it kinda becomes just another system with no stand out features.

Give it a few years, just play stuff on gamepass, and few purchases here and there, it comes together amazingly well. You will play games with most variety and a whole bunch of great stuff you would overlook otherwise.

If you get caught up in fomo hype of some new release with great critical acclaim, that will defeat its purpose.

Only alternative to gamepass i see is steam. Where, again I have access to tools that empower me to make a decision on which games to buy and play, without any outside influence.

Kerotan

You we're one of very few people remaining who supported all 3 consoles! It'll be like a weight lifted off your shoulders (wallet).

BigLee74

At this point Xbox console makes sense only if you are gonna commit to it and gamepass.

If you have multiple systems, it kinda becomes just another system with no stand out features.
Surely it’s stand out feature is that it’s the only console that plays all Xbox games day one (Gamepass or not)?

Not everybody wants a PC in their living room if you are gonna go there.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

Its still my most played current gen console but Ill be switching to PC next gen.

Fess

Only alternative to gamepass i see is steam. Where, again I have access to tools that empower me to make a decision on which games to buy and play, without any outside influence.
They aren’t in any way similar. Is iTunes an alternative to Spotify?

I use Steam for games I know I’ll enjoy, day 1 purchases, or games I want to mod without limitations, or for extreme sales.
Gamepass is useful when I want to play something I don’t want to buy. Just finished Modern Warfare 3 campaign, was great fun, 7.5 hours of fun pew pew gaming, glad to have experienced it since it’s not something I would ever buy.

Surely it’s stand out feature is that it’s the only console that plays all Xbox games day one (Gamepass or not)?

Not everybody wants a PC in their living room if you are gonna go there.
That too.

But xbox doesn’t make/market its games in that way.

Obsidian rpg like Avowed is must play for me, but devs are not hyping it up like you would see elsewhere.

I still feel its USP is what gamepass brings to the table. Broadening my taste in games and highlighting obscure stuff.

They aren’t in any way similar. Is iTunes an alternative to Spotify?

I use Steam for games I know I’ll enjoy, day 1 purchases, or games I want to mod without limitations, or for extreme sales.
Gamepass is useful when I want to play something I don’t want to buy. Just finished Modern Warfare 3 campaign, was great fun, 7.5 hours of fun pew pew gaming, glad to have experienced it since it’s not something I would ever buy.

You are getting game recommendations from elsewhere. Likely youtube, professional reviews or forum opinions.

Gamepass/ Steam makes that redundant. In the way i use them.

Fess

You are getting game recommendations from elsewhere. Likely youtube, professional reviews or forum opinions.

Gamepass/ Steam makes that redundant. In the way i use them.
I don’t understand how to mix in Steam into that thinking, you’re 100% dependant on reviews and opinions there unless you plan to buy and refund every game.

Mr.Phoenix

Sony is going to have an uphill battle next gen. The PS5 sold incredibly well, but they've lost a lot of good momentum already from the PS4 by lack of games and communication with their fans (both which they excelled at during PS3 and PS4 era). They prioritized GaaS model and it's going to bite them in the ass.

Next gen is going to be boring too. If Xbox drops out, Nintendo will win by default. Neither Sony or Microsoft will have great games next gen in time to make up for the boring, dull, slow gen this has been.
These short-sighted empty narratives. Gamers huh?

Games take longer to make. And as is always the case with console generations, all the best games will come in the tail end of the generation. The last 2 to three years. This will mean that, as is also always the case, the console will end the regeneration with good momentum going into the new gen...

Then the new gen starts and all the devs are busy making new games again, then there is a game drought, and then gamers come back and start talking about how there are no games and its the worst gen ever....etc.

Rinse and repeat.

As for OP selling his Xbox.... lets just say I am still very curious as to the mindset of a person that actually bought an Xbox. Is it that they believed MS, Bought into the hype, are collectors and were just going to buy everything regardless, gamepass, die-hard Xbox fanboys, financially irresponsible? What? I mean now, the most popular narrative seems to be that they bought it for BC? I am even more bamboozled by those who bought one... who actually own a PC.

I am just curious to know what ios the main thing that drives them.

Last edited:

Three

I honestly wouldn't even recommend it for the low amount of BC titles since those games would need to be in the 28% that are BC and you would have to own them already too . If you don't already own them then you're better off getting those games on PC than spending $499-599 on the console or not gaining $320 from selling it. Those games are more likely to have got cheap remasters on PC in the form of MCC, Gears etc too with better framerates and upgrades. Unless you don't have a PC then it's probably financially best to keep the xbox anyway.

You can play Xbox games on PC Day One so there really is no reason to own the console if you have a half-decent gaming PC. PC is also the only platform where you can also play PS5 games... eventually... so it is really the best platform for games if you can deal with the issues that come with it (shader compilation stutter, having to upgrade your graphics drivers, etc). On the plus side, you have more customisation options on how to play games, you can play them well above 120 fps if you want if you have the hardware and then there are user mods and tweaks you can use. I have always enjoyed the flexibility of PC personally and the much cheaper library of digital games.

The only reason to own an Xbox and a PC really is if you want to play older Xbox and Xbox 360 physical games and even then you'd be better off owning those consoles rather than a newer one since there are a lot of games that aren't supported on the newer systems such as RalliSport Challenge 2 and the Project Gotham Racing franchise.

I own an Xbox Series X, I bought it a year after launch prior to upgrading to a new PC, so I did use it. Now though, it basically sits unused and has done for 18 months and really should sell it. I cancelled my Game Pass Ultimate subscription back in May because I just wasn't using it plus I despise the terrible Xbox app in Windows that constantly breaks games with updates or throws up random error codes that, oddly, never crop up on Steam where I would much rather play Xbox games such as Hi-Fi Rush, Gears of War 5 and Forza Horizon 5.

Xbox quite literally sucks these days. Maybe they can turn it around over the next few years but I'm not holding my breath as Microsoft seem to just make a mess of everything they touch these days, including Windows!

Edmund

Sony is going to have an uphill battle next gen. The PS5 sold incredibly well, but they've lost a lot of good momentum already from the PS4 by lack of games and communication with their fans (both which they excelled at during PS3 and PS4 era). They prioritized GaaS model and it's going to bite them in the ass.

Next gen is going to be boring too. If Xbox drops out, Nintendo will win by default. Neither Sony or Microsoft will have great games next gen in time to make up for the boring, dull, slow gen this has been.

I love reading Nintendo dickriding posts. Especially if they are essays. 😍😍

I’m with you OP. I sold my Series X a couple of months back. Been around from the OG Xbox days so it stung a little. I despise Sony for the woke pandering and double standards when it comes to censorship of Asian titles but I just can’t support the cumulative bad decisions made by Phil and the Xbox brass. They have completely destroyed almost every franchise I gave a shit about. Games on the horizon like Fable haven’t been designed with fans of the franchise in mind. In the latest showcase, the one everyone lauded, it is clear with the focus on women and POC that I am no longer the target audience. Even something I should be excited about like Indiana Jones has clearly been corrupted by this modern rot… damsel Indie? Wtf is that?

DragonNCM

The savings you are making from the console and gamepass, you can get yourself a 4070(Ti)S and even abandon your PS5, if youa re willing to wait for releases.
Youll still be loaded up on games out the ass.
Don't bring that bullshit here, you know perfectly well that PC is not only GPU.
You cant compare value of PC with consoles. Consoles are still best option to play games cheep.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Don't bring that bullshit here, you know perfectly well that PC is not only GPU.
You cant compare value of PC with consoles. Consoles are still best option to play games cheep.

Im assuming the person has a computer but lacks the GPU to game on it.
Any CPU from like the last 5 - 6 years will be well sufficient for PC gaming.
Generally people have had a computer in the last 6 years but maybe just not a "gaming" PC with a good GPU.
Simply getting said GPU can get them a "gaming" PC.

Im not comparing the value of shit.....dont assume nothing about what im typing.
If the OP doesnt care about waiting they could "could" sell both the PS5/XSX and PS+/Gamepass and get themselves a decent GPU and have one machine that has all their games in one place.

cireza

Gold Member
It's still worth it to have for the larger collection of BC
This remains the best reason to keep an Xbox over a PS. You get so many excellent OG and 360 games, in 4K@60fps.

It completely sucks that Xbox gave up on this feature while it was a huge argument in their favor. As time passes, it will become less important as more and more games will get re-releases.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Sony will do what they did with the PS4 gen and that's finish the gen strongly with their first party. There isn't much difference between this gen and last in that regard (COVID did have an impact in several ways though which I think will lengthen this gen 1-2 years)

I don’t understand how to mix in Steam into that thinking, you’re 100% dependant on reviews and opinions there unless you plan to buy and refund every game.
I read game description to shortlist. Then check player count.

Reviews I only see to make sure there are no obvious issues with the game.

Trilobit

Can't argue with that. I'll have a hard time accepting any haptics that don't match the PS5 controller. I honestly wonder how mouse/keyboard players can live without rumble.

Bavarian_Sloth

Gold Member
Can't argue with that. I'll have a hard time accepting any haptics that don't match the PS5 controller. I honestly wonder how mouse/keyboard players can live without rumble.
I play Single Player Games with my Xbox Elite Controller.

The same is possible with PS5 Controller.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Not only Xbox.
I got rid of my PS5 as well.

Now I can play everything on PC in glourious 4k Dlss (+ FG) on my Oled.

The only thing I'm still waiting for is the Switch², then I'll be well looked after for the coming years.

3a9.gif
Its great but has its own problems at times. I’m trying to figure out why Steam achievements are not popping on Mass Effect 1 (Legendary Edition) while they pop on the EA app as an example.

Fess

I read game description to shortlist. Then check player count.

Reviews I only see to make sure there are no obvious issues with the game.
Sounds like a normal purchase. You do the usual research and buy the games you’re sure that you will enjoy. I don’t see how reviews and opinions are redundant.

A subscription service is the opposite. You can ignore every review and opinion and see for yourself if you like a game. Try games you’re not sure that you will enjoy, games that aren’t usually your thing at all, games people shit on, and there is no consequence to it besides having to download the data and install it.

Bavarian_Sloth

Gold Member
Its great but has its own problems at times. I’m trying to figure out why Steam achievements are not popping on Mass Effect 1 (Legendary Edition) while they pop on the EA app as an example.

True. But overall everything is running smoothly (at least for me).

Small annoyances, like yours, have to be accepted. (Or have to be googled for hours in order to solve them :messenger_grinning_sweat:).

Last edited:

Xtib81

Not only Xbox.
I got rid of my PS5 as well.

Now I can play everything on PC in glourious 4k Dlss (+ FG) on my Oled.

The only thing I'm still waiting for is the Switch², then I'll be well looked after for the coming years.

3a9.gif
The only thing that's holding me back right now is that PS exclusives come quite late to PC, otherwise I would've migrated too.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
They really should go third party, and dare I say it, make some second party deals with Nintendo and Sony. Xbox consoles don't sell. Microsoft has never had a good strategy because they are focused on the competition instead of themselves.

Nintendo was able to recover from the Gamecube because they focused to doing their own thing and what was innovative for the players. They recovered from the Wii U, because they did it again.

Sony recovered from the PS3 because they focused the later part of the console to do amazing games in their own way, and had a fantastic gen with the PS4 because they continued that momentum.

Microsoft is always thinking about how to beat Sony, or how to do things others are doing.

They have many powerful studios that could make them much more money buy being third party. The difficult part is going to be getting a competent management for that, because no one at Xbox is elegible for that.
Gamepass is their product. It makes sense to provide a console for the few 10s of millions of people who want one while also providing the product to PC gamers and streamers. 1st party / second party doesn't make any sense for what MS gaming is. They are doing fine and probably will show some growth.

MikeM

Gold Member
True. But overall everything is running smoothly (at least for me).

Small annoyances, like yours, have to be accepted. (Or have to be googled for hours in order to solve them :messenger_grinning_sweat:).
Yeah and thats why PC isn’t the solution for all. For me, this issue is large enough as a trophy/achievement hunter that my playthroughs of ME2 and ME3 will all be on PS5.

Significant competition for in that they had like for like product offering. If Xbox wasn’t there they’d have no competition.
OG Xbox and Gamecube were also rans on the best of days, with almost nothing to show for the gen outside of a handful of quality first party titles on each. Calling either console "significant competition" to the PS2 is a heavy stretch. Third party publishers couldn't survive without the PS2, and even huge exclusives like Resident Evil 4 (2005) still bent the knee to Sony in the end.

FlyyGOD

I think the Series X is a great console. But Microsoft doesn't care about it anymore. There's nothing exciting going on hardware wise. Almost no special editions, no exciting updates, nothing.

I never sell my consoles but after being an Xbox first gamer since 2002 I am slowly moving over to PlayStation. It's obvious Microsoft is not interested in hardware anymore, for them it has probably always been a necessary evil. Now they've found a way to make money without it. Xbox is becoming an app. Their next (and final?) Xbox console will be a pricey thing for the die hard fans who just wants the logo on their console. Everyone else will be able to play XGS games on their PlayStation and PC. And phone. And TV.
Did you even watch the June showcase?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I didn't get rid of mine, I just rebought the library on Steam, and will just continue to buy future purchases on Steam :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's a bloody good retro console though..

Markio128

Gold Member
My perspective on this is quite simple, having also sold my Series X last year. At the end of the day, all the corps just want our money, but MS deserve it less than Nintendo and Sony. They take no risks, or do anything remotely interesting in the console space. They’ve never released a handheld, or VR, or changed the controller in any meaningful way. All they’ve done this gen is market the shit out of gamepass, buy large publishers, and release 1st party games on other consoles. Be still my beating heart.

SHA

Long story, but after realizing Microsoft isn't releasing a Series X Pro, the fact that they are making more and more games Multiplatform and considering they still haven't updated the controller to modern technology and haptics, I sold my Series X today on FB Marketplace. I still have PS5 and Switch, but I'm done supporting the Xbox ecosystem. The GamePass price hike for me was the last straw, but not because I cannot afford it since I am somewhat affluent. Rather, it was the last straw because it demonstrates that Xbox has no intention of EVER doing what it says. It said there would be no price hike when Activision was acquired insofar as Call of Duty on Game Pass is concerned. That was an overt lie. Years and years of over promising and under delivering and now that they are seemingly abandoning Xbox hardware made me decide that I'm not going to be the fool anymore and keep spending my hard earned money on the xbox ecosystem that I have been in since 2005. Good bye, farewell.
3 consoles and a PC, I could relate to that, I fully understand what you mean, but I'm different, I have 3 jobs and one console, does that make sense to you? cause 3 consoles sounds like an escape to me, the real world is much better to me, at the same time I don't want to miss anything related to games without compromising my lifestyle.

Top Bottom