• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gradius V - Gamespot review

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sweet mother of all that can be shot, this game is just amazing. Treasure are just firing from all cylinders in this one, and everything is just mesmerizing... So juicy, so fluid, so fantastic looking, so great sounding. End boss explosions are the best thing ever - there's just no in-game explosion that I know of that matches this :p

ok, little help... is there anyway to recover after gettign killed? i can get to the stage 2 boss without dying, but once i'm shot down once, its fucking hard as shit to do much... am i missing something?

EDIT: nevermind. i see i just need to alter the resapn option to start at preset points when you die...
I'm on the level 2 right now, and I love the continue in place that is set by default. I just grab the options that are left behind, and that pretty much works for me so far. I think the continuing from the preset point gets me out of zone a bit when I play the game like this.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, this is the best shooter in years. Fantastic level and boss variants. Though I do miss the good old ring and ripple lasers from Gaiden...

Oh and the BASS IS BOOMING!! I love it! Sound editing is totally worthy of an award when websites start pimping GTA as GotY 2k4 come Jan. :ugh:

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I hope this marks the permanent return of quality 2D shooters!

Speaking of which, I also hope the PSP gets ports of these awesome games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow indeed, and that's just the level one. There's hardly words to explain just how good it feels actually playing the game, though.

I hope this marks the permanent return of quality 2D shooters!
The problem is that just there aren't enough teams capable of making games this good. And even less of them making games with graphics and sound 'relevant' enought to see the release here... Other than Treasure, I'm struggling to think of more developers that would fit in this class. Irem's RType Final is certainly show stopper when it comes to looks and other features, but even they admitted it's their last RType game, period. Red Star looked very promissing, but now that the Acclaim is dead who knows what will happen to it... Neo Contra actually looks like the only upcoming game of the shooter kind that should be really good. Cave's shooters are of course always pure gold, but those have to be imported and are pricy (Espgaluda and Dodonpachi Daiujoy are more than worth it, though)

*edit* Also, there was a game called "Xyanide" for Xbox that looked pretty cool in screens. What happened to it?

Hellz yeah. If there is one type of game I doubt anyone would have problem being ported to PSP, it's the shooters...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game really IS amazing. I had no idea it would be this good. The level design and bosses are SOOOO awesome! Everything about it is just incredibly polished and fun! Can't wait to jump back into it later on...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Marconelly said:
*edit* Also, there was a game called "Xyanide" for Xbox that looked pretty cool in screens. What happened to it?

hands on from e3 (iirc) were all negative. i believe drohne played it a bit and wasnt the least bit impressed

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This game really IS amazing. I had no idea it would be this good. The level design and bosses are SOOOO awesome! Everything about it is just incredibly polished and fun! Can't wait to jump back into it later on...
Also, the 'little things' like how they introduce the level two - I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it just gives you such sense of importance and urgency :))

And to think I never even liked Gradius games, well at least first three. I'll have to try the much revered Gaiden.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
This should be waiting for me when I get home tonight... looking forward to it :)

Marconelly, that's true, but it's nice to see at least some sort of revival of the 2D shooter (and adventure) genres across all platforms. I, for one, will do my part to support these endeavors. IMO, there's nothing wrong with 2D games that use updated, current-gen graphics to create stunning visuals (like Gradius, R-Type, RedStar, etc.)... so what if it's not full 3D? It shouldn't be taboo :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
open_mouth_ said:
This should be waiting for me when I get home tonight... looking forward to it :)

Marconelly, that's true, but it's nice to see at least some sort of revival of the 2D shooter (and adventure) genres across all platforms. I, for one, will do my part to support these endeavors. IMO, there's nothing wrong with 2D games that use updated, current-gen graphics to create stunning visuals (like Gradius, R-Type, RedStar, etc.)... so what if it's not full 3D? It shouldn't be taboo :(

I agree, these games prove there's still a place for beautiful looking, 2D style games. You don't need Z axis movement and a shitty camera to make a good game, and it's nice to see companies finally realizing this.

aku:jiki

drohne said:
it's been...what...seven years since the last paro game?
But Sexy Parodius ends with "Thank you for shooting!", the exact same line R-Type Final used. Always sounded like a quiet, and perhaps unofficial, way of saying the series was over. :(

The series seems popular in Japan, though, as old Paro merchandise always seems to rake in a steady profit on Yahoo! Auctions.

On the subject of G5, though... I don't suppose they added a cutscene-skip, huh? That drives me slightly nuts in the japanese version even though I find the game enjoyable.

About the only part I find disappointing is how shallow it is. This game won't show people that shooters can and have evolved in the past 15 years. What roped me into true shmup-fanboyhood was the deepness of a post-Cave scoring system. The multitude of ways to score and get better, giving you a reason to stay sharp every time you play. Level one and two in games like G5 will put you to sleep after you've played them five times or so, which is a pity and not really what the genre is about anymore.

Other than that -- which wouldn't even be a point if someone would fuckin' localize a Cave game already -- I'm loving G5 too. Slick, beautiful and tons more fun than Memory Exercise Ultra Ikaruga for me. I could play a game consisting of only whipping around with the Type 2 lasers. I guess I can be easily amused, but hey...

Edit: See, this thread is what I'm talking about in my fourth paragraph here. Quality 2D shooters never went away, they just stopped releasing them in the west. Come on, budget labels, bring it on! :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Man, I'm still struggling to get past stage 3-1, 3-2. I'm improving incrementally, but very slowly. Still, loving every minute of it. Good set of options to let you play more hardcore or more casual and to adjust dynamically by offering more credits if you struggle for too many game sessions.

dark10x

Marconelly said:
Also, the 'little things' like how they introduce the level two - I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it just gives you such sense of importance and urgency :))

And to think I never even liked Gradius games, well at least first three. I'll have to try the much revered Gaiden.

Oh yeah, that is very cool indeed! The music is timed perfectly to the scene as well...

BenT

aku:jiki said:
On the subject of G5, though... I don't suppose they added a cutscene-skip, huh? That drives me slightly nuts in the japanese version even though I find the game enjoyable.
Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. Good thing the cutscenes are few and far between.

BenT

Marconelly said:
The game probably loads level data during those cutscenes anyways, so they are basically unskippable.
I DONT BUY IT

It's kinda a weird error to find in a Treasure game, I think. If it was Square ...

Prospero

Started playing this last night--as much as I like R-Type Final and Ikaruga, this trumps them both for me. R-Type Final had long boring stretches, and Ikaruga was more of a puzzler than a shooter. Gradius just seems so pure and perfect.

dark10x

Prospero said:
Started playing this last night--as much as I like R-Type Final and Ikaruga, this trumps them both for me. R-Type Final had long boring stretches, and Ikaruga was more of a puzzler than a shooter. Gradius just seems so pure and perfect.

Yep!

I really enjoyed Final, but there were some boring segments (loaded with slowdown). However, once you hit Stage 4, the game was pretty much golden until the end.

Gradius V is just amazing, though. Horizontal shooters have been kicking some ass lately (Gradius V and Border Down especially).

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
open_mouth_ said:

"The wide screen makes shooting games an interesting prospect, and our shoot 'em up staff are quite interested in it."

YOU KNOW IT

aku:jiki

D2M15 said:
"The wide screen makes shooting games an interesting prospect, and our shoot 'em up staff are quite interested in it."

YOU KNOW IT
But you can't tate it. :(

Wonderswan = best handheld ever!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Who said that?? :)

But you can't tate it. :(
I think you can. With a minor sacrifice of either:
a) Having auto fire firing main weapon at all times and using the analog stick pushed in any direction to activate super weapon/detach force/rotate options, etc
b) Use analog stick pushed to left to shoot, and pushed to right to activate super weapon, etc.
or
c) Use analog stick to move ship around (with right hand, not a big deal, IMO), and use digital pad to shoot, etc

jett

D-Member
Marconelly said:
The game probably loads level data during those cutscenes anyways, so they are basically unskippable.

Uh no. There are only 2 cut-scenes in the entire game, anyway(not counting the CG intro or the credits).

I finished this game yesterday. Fucking amazing. Took me 11 credits...but still, I beat the motherfucker. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Uh no. There are only 2 cut-scenes in the entire game, anyway(not counting the CG intro or the credits).
I know, and maybe it does load the level data there, as maybe the sections that follow those cut scenes are especially data heavy. I don't know for sure either way, but several games that load during their (realtime) cut scenes either have cutscenes unskippable, or have black screens with load pause when you skip the cutscene too quickly.

nitewulf

f*ck i need this game.

edit: oh hell yeah!! i just read the gamespy review, it does not have check points!!! one of the reasons i could never get into r-types and gradius games.
hell i love salamanderl, but even salamander reverts back to beginning of each stage if you lose all your continues. im just too used to continuing from the point of death, i cant really stand restart points.

jett

D-Member
Yeah I just did it and it didn't load anything, the game continued as if anything nothing had happened(with the exception of the audio :p). I remember someone in another thread wondering if it was redbook audio or not, and it indeed is.

NotMSRP

You can continue at point of death in Gradius V with revival mode off or continue at the last checkpoint with revival mode on.

dark10x

Quick question...

Any tips for slicing through that alien crap in stage 4? I can make it to that point with a totally decked out ship (without losing a single life) with no problem...but once I hit that wall of goop, I end up losing like 4 lives just getting through it. From there, I'm fine (working on stage 6 right now), but that damn wall just wastes my lives and ruins my ship.

What's the best way to get through it?

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
dark10x said:
Quick question...

Any tips for slicing through that alien crap in stage 4? I can make it to that point with a totally decked out ship (without losing a single life) with no problem...but once I hit that wall of goop, I end up losing like 4 lives just getting through it. From there, I'm fine (working on stage 6 right now), but that damn wall just wastes my lives and ruins my ship.

What's the best way to get through it?

Use the Type 2 weapons array. Have 4 Multiples ready (and if possible be equipped with the Laser) once you start going through it, use the R1 button to rotate your Multiples' fire to the rear of your ship. Since your ship fires forward, and your Multiples fire backward, your butt is covered when the goop regenerates. :D

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you get through the regenerating walls the same way you did in salamander: trail your options behind you, and be sure to stay very near the front of the screen. simply turning your type 2 options behind you won't work: the walls will regenerate right over your ship.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
drohne said:
you get through the regenerating walls the same way you did in salamander: trail your options behind you, and be sure to stay very near the front of the screen. simply turning your type 2 options behind you won't work: the walls will regenerate right over your ship.

It's all about positioning them in relation to your ship, too. :)

drohne

even if you cluster your type 2 options around you and turn them backwards, the walls will sometimes regenerate right at your position. i swear i've tried a million different methods there, and the only reliable one is to stay at the front of the screen and let your options cover you from behind.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
drohne said:
even if you cluster your type 2 options around you and turn them backwards, the walls will sometimes regenerate right at your position. i swear i've tried a million different methods there, and the only reliable one is to stay at the front of the screen and let your options cover you from behind.

Way up front, options got your back (forward or back), and speed up up up! Maybe I'm just lucky.... ^_^

dark10x

drohne said:

Excellent, thanks.

There are 7 levels in the game, right? I believe I've hit the final boss form at the end of stage 6 (the rotating wheel). Almost got him too. Trying to finish up normal mode tonight, if I can, as I'd like to attempt the harder difficulties (though I'm sure those will take a bit longer to master).

I think I'll practice that section in stage 4 a bit before I tackle the full thing again. At this point, stage 5 is my favorite. It's just so exciting!

drohne

it would probably work to stay near the front of the screen. turn your type 2 options backwards, and position them in front of your ship. but that's just needless complication. anyway, the important and by no means intuitive thing is to stay at the front of the screen.

i don't know how many levels there are, because i don't continue at all. i've gotten as far as the second boss of level 6.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Just got Gradius V yesterday. My brother and I played for like 2 hours trying to beat it, this game is gold! What is everyone's favorite Type option?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Defensor said:
Just got Gradius V yesterday. My brother and I played for like 2 hours trying to beat it, this game is gold! What is everyone's favorite Type option?

Type 2, type 2, type 2. It's like type 2 >>> everything else IMO. You can shoot in ANY direction at ANY time, how can you possibly beat that? Only downside is it's a bit hard to handle initially, and you can't move your ship while moving your options. But I can live with that. I love sweeping through stages with four options and laser. :D

dark10x

drohne said:
it would probably work to stay near the front of the screen. turn your type 2 options backwards, and position them in front of your ship. but that's just needless complication. anyway, the important and by no means intuitive thing is to stay at the front of the screen.

i don't know how many levels there are, because i don't continue at all. i've gotten as far as the second boss of level 6.

Alright, I've just run through the practice zone a couple times...

I think I've got it down.

drohne

type 2 is probably the most obviously appealing setup, but i'm starting to like type 1 better. once you start to focus on destroying almost everything rather than simply surviving, its ability to concentrate fire on demand becomes really useful. my scores on stage 3 especially are higher with type 1.

dark10x

Heh, honestly, my favorite right now is Type 3. I focus on destroying EVERYTHING in a level as quickly as possible, and type 3 sizes up perfectly for most sections. A lot of times, you have rows of enemies coming at you and being able to take out all rows at the same time is nice. Also, it works very well on most bosses. For example, on the last form of the second stage boss, I can simply set one laser on each core and weaken all 4 at the same time. Of course, you can also gather them up into the middle for a singular, powerful shot.

I really did like using Type 2, but Type 3 is extremely functional and works well with the game flow. The only area where one might find fault is when it comes to attacking rear targets. However, it is easy enough to switch to Double from the lasers and there are only a couple areas so far that even benefit from it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
drohne said:
type 2 is probably the most obviously appealing setup, but i'm starting to like type 1 better. once you start to focus on destroying almost everything rather than simply surviving, its ability to concentrate fire on demand becomes really useful. my scores on stage 3 especially are higher with type 1.

OK, I can see your point with using type 1...since it would be convinient to be able to move during a boss fight for example, while still having all your firepower concentrated in one particular direction. It takes a while to re-focus all your options on one small target with type 2 after dodging attacks.

I guess type 2 is the hardest of all types to focus your shots with...I mean, with type 1 you can freeze your options, with type 3 you just press the option button to pull back all your options, and with type 4 you tap the option button to do the same.

jett

D-Member
What's with all this complicated options strategies regarding the destructible wall in stage 4? You don't need shit. Just shoot and remain as close as you can to the right side of the screen.

Type 2 used to be my favorite when I started, too...but Type 3 has now become my fave. Very destructive...and if you want to use it as a boss killer you can just put them all close together. Pwnage.

Top Bottom