• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

paskowitz

weekend_warrior said:
Lap times aren't everything though, staying sharp and focused is more important for me during a race.

This is the truth. If you watched GT Academy, the one thing that racing driver needs to have more than pace, is consistency.

Spa track guide video is up.

If anything is unclear or you have any questions, let me know.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
paskowitz said:
This is the truth. If you watched GT Academy, the one thing that racing driver needs to have more than pace, is consistency.

AWESOME.

Also, I missed practice, damn.
Don't remember exactly but we're racing with a sun meteo right?

Xun

paskowitz said:

Good to see where I was messing up then! Will have to practice some more later on.

Also I swear Racing Hard tyres were helping me take a quick lead on the first wet race... although I accidentally went off on turn 12 and lost it!

Angst

Race lounge will be set to 50%, no water on track (at the start at least). Weather dynamic. Conditions are set at the start of qualification and any changes in conditions after that we will have to deal with. So the actual race start might be in rain or not.

That guide is great. As I said in the chat, Spa is pretty hard on a controller, because you have to change directions constantly and do hard turn ins.

So good luck to those with DS3.

Xun

Risk Breaker said:
That guide is great. As I said in the chat, Spa is pretty hard on a controller, because you have to change directions constantly and do hard turn ins.

So good luck to those with DS3.
Yeah.

I really need a wheel.

paskowitz

You have to get your car to the opposite side of the track when entering each corner. If you approach on the inside you will be very slow. Also try to trail brake instead of turning a lot. Lastly, and this is hard, I don't always do it, never be completely off the brake or the gas. Even on the sharpest hairpin turn, you should be on the gas at least 1%(the trick is do.ding the correct %). As soon as you are done braking, its right on the gas again. This is counter intuitive, but trust me it is quicker.

paskowitz said:
You have to get your car to the opposite side of the track when entering each corner. If you approach on the inside you will be very slow. Also try to trail brake instead of turning a lot. Lastly, and this is hard, I don't always do it, never be completely off the brake or the gas. Even on the sharpest hairpin turn, you should be on the gas at least 1%(the trick is do.ding the correct %). As soon as you are done braking, its right on the gas again. This is counter intuitive, but trust me it is quicker.

Yeah, this is pretty intuitive when you're playing with a wheel, it really helps keep the car stable and responsive.

I think it's one of the main reasons I managed to win that Integra RM/Grand Valley East race, specially on that part after the first hairpin, where you are going down the hill and take the two rights. I set the car so that it oversteered on entry, so in that part I really couldn't let the gas pedal up not even for a tenth of a second or I spun out. That way I also conserved some tyres.

BTW I have no clue what strategy I'll use in this race. I guess I'll just improvise like usual (and I'll screw up when I try to think while driving). Tyres do get worn fast as hell, like pasko said.

Dibbz

Angst said:
Race lounge will be set to 50%, no water on track (at the start at least). Weather dynamic. Conditions are set at the start of qualification and any changes in conditions after that we will have to deal with. So the actual race start might be in rain or not.
What about weather changeability?

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
I recommend setting it to 2, I tested with 5 and it changed way too fast. It went from overcast to sunny in 1 lap.

Holycrap lol
I guess I don't really understand how the "changeability" works. I thought it was about chance of changing conditions. So if we set it to 2 it's only a really slim chance of rain. The races we did yesterday were all done with 50 % at start and changeability at 9, it never changed to rain though...

Speaking of numbers guys, I think we all should change our car numbers. I noticed in the practice races almost all of us were number 1, how about we change it to our number on the grid?

Angst said:
I guess I don't really understand how the "changeability" works. I thought it was about chance of changing conditions. So if we set it to 2 it's only a really slim chance of rain. The races we did yesterday were all done with 50 % at start and changeability at 9, it never changed to rain though...

I say roll one of these:

d10.png

f0rk

Risk Breaker said:
Speaking of numbers guys, I think we all should change our car numbers. I noticed in the practice races almost all of us were number 1, how about we change it to our number on the grid?

Use the number you are on the sign up list. I think that's how Angst did it before when he remembered.

Angst

f0rk said:
Use the number you are on the sign up list. I think that's how Angst did it before when he remembered.
Lol, yeah I forgot.

Everybody use your number on the grid on your car during the race.

Toxa

Angst said:
Lol, yeah I forgot.

Everybody use your number on the grid on your car during the race.

Players Participating (16 / 16):
01 - Angst
02 - paskowitz
03 - Toxa
04 - f0rk
05 - ashk
06 - niks
07 - gl0w
08 - Xun
09 - Dibbz
10 - MikeDub
11 - Risk Breaker
12 - Metalmurphy tentative
13 - SunhiLegend
14 - Gynoug79
15 - weekend_warrior
16 - Dash Kappei
R1 - Funkystudent

?

Dash Kappei

I've got the right number then.
Despite practicing my times doing 10 laps in time trial are between 2'19" and 2'20" so no doubt I signed up last, gonna quali last and finish last :D
I'll still be there to race unless you guys don't want me to :(

Dash Kappei said:
I've got the right number then.
Despite practicing my times doing 10 laps in time trial are between 2'19" and 2'20" so no doubt I signed up last, gonna quali last and finish last :D
I'll still be there to race unless you guys don't want me to :(
dont worry your still probably a better cloice then me. lol.

I was struggling to get a 2:20 when practicing. then when other cars are on the track everything goes to shit for me.

Ill still totally have a go if a spot opens up. ill probably be last but hopefully there are a few other useless guys who will make the fight for last more competitive.

Dibbz

I think 5 might be good for weather changeability but I haven't tested it, just seems like a good number :D Although having a sudden rain storm could be very interesting making people pit for wets only for the rain to clear up and track to start drying almost as quick making people pit again for Hards.

Oh man how a weather forecast system would be great. Even better if it used the real time weather updates from the track. I'd have weather.com loaded on my phone attached to my steering wheel :p

Niks

If anyone of you guys that have the track are going to do some practice, please post here so I can join you.

I havent been able to do laps.
Thanks!

Angst

weekend_warrior said:
Nice video man. But what do you mean when you say "Trail in" or "Trail your brakes"?
What is trail braking? In essence, it means continuing to brake after having turned in for a corner. The further you progress into the corner, the more you turn the steering wheel and the more pressure you release from the brake pedal. Typically, the procedure goes like this:

You are hurtling in a straight line toward a corner;
You apply the brakes - fully - while still traveling in a straight line;
At some point, you release a little pressure from the brakes and start to turn in;
As you bend into the corner and approach the throttle application point, you progressively release the rest of the pressure from the brake.
http://virtualracersedge.com/trail_braking.htm
TrailBrakingdiagramLR.jpg

Angst

Niks said:
If anyone of you guys that have the track are going to do some practice, please post here so I can join you.

Thanks!
NP, starting up the GT5NRL lounge in 30 minutes. Need to play a bit more Batman first :p

f0rk

Niks said:

Thanks!

I'm in there now. I wish I could be playing Batman but waiting for Master Race.

ashk

I wish I had more time to practice :( Finally managed to break into the 2:13s today but my consistency ain't all that great. And if it rains I'm pretty much screwed since the only rain practice I had was yesterday's races :p

paskowitz

ashk said:
I wish I had more time to practice :( Finally managed to break into the 2:13s today but my consistency ain't all that great. And if it rains I'm pretty much screwed since the only rain practice I had was yesterday's races :p
Nice job. I feel the same way about the rain. What was your final time?

Toxa

Risk Breaker said:
My only real fear is being involved in a crash :(

I hope everyone is extra careful with a full grid and on a long track like this one.

same :( no quali for me tonight like the previous race I'll start the race in P16 :D

ashk

paskowitz said:
Nice job. I feel the same way about the rain. What was your final time?

2:13.756. Later on I kept getting better splits in various sectors and I felt like I could improve it by at least a tenth, but my consistency sucked and I couldn't get a full good lap again.

Starting last seems like a good strategy to avoid first corner crashes :p

Pretty sure I won't race today. I've been sick since Friday, hoped to be better by today, which I kinda was, but I threw up again this morning and I'm feeling bit nauseous. Also FC Porto are playing today so I might as well just lie down and watch the game.

Sorry.

Metalmurphy said:
Pretty sure I won't race today. I've been sick since Friday, hoped to be better by today, which I kinda was, but I threw up again this morning and I'm feeling bit nauseous. Also FC Porto are playing today so I might as well just lie down and watch the game.

Sorry.

No worries man, hope you get better. Weather is being a bitch down here lately. I'm not feeling too hot either, but I think I'll be okay.

Dash Kappei

funkystudent said:
dont worry your still probably a better cloice then me. lol.

I was struggling to get a 2:20 when practicing. then when other cars are on the track everything goes to shit for me.

Ill still totally have a go if a spot opens up. ill probably be last but hopefully there are a few other useless guys who will make the fight for last more competitive.

You're in, Metalmurphy can't make it tonight. please be there so we can have fun together seeing who's slower ;D

Niks

Hopefully everyone can get to the lounge a bit earlier so we can have some practice starts... eau rouge will be tough at the start.

Angst

Niks said:
Hopefully everyone can get to the lounge a bit earlier so we can have some practice starts... eau rouge will be tough at the start.
I think we did 6 or 7 practice starts this Friday. Most of the new guys were in the lounge and it got pretty calm at the end.

Nevertheless, if everybody can join the lounge a little early we'll do a two lap race before quali - it helps remind people of being that tyres are cold and tempers hot in the start :p

Sorry can't make it tonight. Had practiced alot myself for this but due to really bad luck I won't be able to race. Hope someone else takes my place. Good Luck

Dash Kappei

I take everyone here has ABS set at 1? Or not? Always raced at 1, would it be better setting it differently for NRL races?

Top Bottom