• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

weekend_warrior said:
New ZR1 bought, Stig-dude is ready to rumble.

QbYsK.jpg

OH

MY

GOD!

MY EYES!

lol.gif

*edit* Btw, I'm in the lounge practicing.

Xun

May be on later to practice, but I've got to get on with my animation showreel first! Need to apply to some animation companies...

I won't be able to practice the combo ZR1 - SPA as I still can't buy the DLC, but no worries, I KINDA know SPA since F1 Championship Season 2001 on PS2, where I did the track a million times. And it had weather, too! :p

Angst

Risk Breaker said:
I won't be able to practice the combo ZR1 - SPA as I still can't buy the DLC, but no worries, I KINDA know SPA since F1 Championship Season 2001 on PS2, where I did the track a million times. And it had weather, too! :p
Join us tomorrow night for practice?

Angst said:
Join us tomorrow night for practice?

Okay, I'll try to do it :p 23CET I guess gives me at least an hour of practice.

Oh and speaking of slipstreaming and changing lanes... I usually try not to use the slipstream of the guy ahead, because it means seeing less of the road, going faster than usual and too close. So if you see me avoiding your slipstream don't think I'm going to divebomb on you or something (though it may happen, hehe).

paskowitz

This race will be won or lost on pit strategy, and managing your tire degradation. Mark my words.

After 2 solid hours of practice, I can safely say, Spa is brutal on tires. Worse than almost any other track. The long sweepers an Eau Rouge kill tires to death.

Are you going to 1 stop, or 2 stop? That is the question.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
paskowitz said:
This race will be won or lost on pit strategy, and managing your tire degradation. Mark my words.

After 2 solid hours of practice, I can safely say, Spa is brutal on tires. Worse than almost any other track. The long sweepers an Eau Rouge kill tires to death.

Sooo... I wanted to practice pit stop lane but it seems I can't access it in Practice mode?
Do I absolutely need to play online to try to pit in Spa?

Also, I remember hearing there were settings for how good the AI is now? where do I find such settings?

paskowitz

Dash Kappei said:
Sooo... I wanted to practice pit stop lane but it seems I can't access it in Practice mode?
Do I absolutely need to play online to try to pit in Spa?

Also, I remember hearing there were settings for how good the AI is now? where do I find such settings?
Pits at Spa are roughly 24 seconds.

It's in the settings section, undetermined arcade settings.

Angst

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
What lounge are practices held in ??? Been a long time for me.
In the GT5NRL Lounge.

For the new page:

Angst said:
Circuit de Spa Francorchamps

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races. I.e. less casual than what we've been doing during weekdays.

Race starts in:
t1319396400z0.png

Allowed car:

Corvette ZR1 (C6) RM '09

Tuning allowed:
  • Nada. Lounge will be set to no tuning allowed.
To be able to enter the race you will need to reset everything. I.e. transmission, suspension, LSD and all other tweakable settings.​
Tyre Selection
Racing Hard​
Track:
Circuit Spa de Francorchamps (change weather)
Laps:
20 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS

Players Participating (16 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - paskowitz
  • 03 - Toxa
  • 04 - f0rk
  • 05 - ashk
  • 06 - niks
  • 07 - gl0w
  • 08 - Xun
  • 09 - Dibbz
  • 10 - MikeDub
  • 11 - Risk Breaker
  • 12 - Metalmurphy tentative
  • 13 - SunhiLegend
  • 14 - Gynoug79
  • 15 - weekend_warrior
  • 16 - Dash Kappei
  • R1 - Funkystudent

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 20.00 CET
Lounge reset - 20.55 CET
Qualifications start - 21.00 CET
Race start 21.15 CET

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Behaviour:
Don't even think about going into the settings for the race >.>​

Angst said:
Full room means loads of cars to keep track of, which of course is extremely important during the first lap when everyone is close together. 1st hairpin needs to be negotiated extremely carefully and you will have to start braking way before your usual brake point. Eau Rouge (the corners at the first uphill section) is the next point where you need to be really careful and go slower than usual. After that we have a long straight and you need to be careful to keep you wheels on the track. One touch of grass and you might spin out and take several other cars with you. The long straight ends in a sharp chicane and during the first lap you will have to brake earlier than usual due to cold tyres and traffic. After the chicane cars will start spreading out a bit and you can increase your pace.

800px-Spa-Francorchamps_of_Belgium.svg.png

Regarding shortcuts and using run-off areas to gain speed the areas where this might be an issue are: 4 and 5 (shortcut), 12 (run-off area), 18 (run-off area) and 19 and 20 (shortcut). I've seen loads of people taking 18 at full speed by using the run-offs and that is not acceptable. Same thing goes for 4 and 5. You will need to downshift (4 and 5) or tap the brakes (18).

The final chicane (19 and 20) - just stay on track. Curbs are part of the track. Outside the curbs is not part of the track.
Angst said:
After the race I investigate the infractions I've seen together with the ones people bitches about after the race. Especially focus will be on the infractions where people gain a position. If someone gains a position by intentionally doing the things I've laid out as not allowed they're automatically disqualified. If people use short cuts to gain on the guys ahead they will get warnings in accordance with your system above.

Ergo:

1st infraction = Implied warning
2nd infraction = -10 seconds of the final time
3rd infraction = -30 seconds of the final time (10+20)
4th infraction = -60 seconds of the final time (10+20+30)
5th infraction = Disqualified

Cutting a corner or using a shoot-off area intentionally to gain a position results in a disqualification. If you do this by mistake (or intentionally) you should slow down and let the overtaken car get back it's position, doing this will save you from the DQ result.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
paskowitz said:

Holy shit you weren't kidding.
Spa +Chevi+Hard tires = brutal.

To whoever wanted to just join without having the DLC: make sure you get online and practice first, this is without a doubt one of the hardest circuit/car/tires combo ever to grace GT5 imo. Also make sure you know where the pits are since it's pretty difficult without knowing where to and I fear it'll be pretty chaotic during the race, hopefully there won't be lots of bottlenecks

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Holy shit you weren't kidding.
Spa +Chevi+Hard tires = brutal.

To whoever wanted to just join without having the DLC: make sure you get online and practice first, this is without a doubt one of the hardest circuit/car/tires combo ever to grace GT5 imo. Also make sure you know where the pits are since it's pretty difficult without knowing where to and I fear it'll be pretty chaotic during the race, hopefully there won't be lots of bottlenecks
La Source will be an immense bottleneck on the first lap. Entrance to the pits are at "20" on the map above.

Toxa

Metalmurphy said:
My best lap yesterday was 1:16'500 with some mistakes. Very hard to do a full clean lap here -.-

My guess :

1.13 for the almighty god
1.14. for the gods
1.15 for the very good drivers
1.16 for average drivers

paskowitz

Toxa said:
My guess :

2:12 for The Stig (2:12 is possible but you may not be able to sit down because your balls will need to be that big)
2.13 for the gods (I got 2:13.7)
2.14. for the people who are pushing it
2.15 for the those that use a G25
2.16 for those that use a DS3
2:17 for those that are loosing their tires
2:18 it is almost time to pit
2:19 you are either very slow or you are about to die because you have no tires
2:20 you messed up or you have no tires
2:20+ you pitted

This is how it is.

Also what are the rules for the entry to Eau Rouge? I use all the curbs on entry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Hmk41hetaqM#t=39s) but on exits I keep (or at least try to keep) 2 wheels on the road. Is this ok? Also what do I do if I mess up Eau Rouge and I am ahead by a considerable margin (probably because I miss judge it b/c my tires or shot)? Do I slow down? Short shift to 6th? ???

paskowitz said:
This is how it is.

Also what are the rules for the entry to Eau Rouge? I use all the curbs on entry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Hmk41hetaqM#t=39s) but on exits I keep (or at least try to keep) 2 wheels on the road. Is this ok? Also what do I do if I mess up Eau Rouge and I am ahead by a considerable margin (probably because I miss judge it b/c my tires or shot)? Do I slow down? Short shift to 6th? ???

2.15 for the those that use a G25
2.16 for those that use a DS3

I feel insulted.

Also, as long as you have 2 tires on the road at all times, ur good to go.

Angst

Practice in ~2 hours.

And pas - if people miss because of bad tyres or misjudgment and no other cars get passed you're good.

paskowitz

Angst said:
Practice in ~2 hours.

And pas - if people miss because of bad tyres or misjudgment and no other cars get passed you're good.

Ok good. B/C I was practicing and it gets really hard to judge 3, 4, 5 and 18 when your tires get near 50%. I think at that point if you don't make the corner you are going to go through it slower anyways.

Xun

Good ol' practice.

A bit pissed off by the insanely lame censorships for chat. I wasted a lot of time typing on the PS3 virtual keyboard... a lot of time.

Angst

Xun said:
Good ol' practice.

A bit pissed off by the insanely lame censorships for chat. I wasted a lot of time typing on the PS3 virtual keyboard... a lot of time.
Yeah it's a pain in the ass. Or ************* as that would appear in the chat. :/

Xun

Angst said:
Yeah it's a pain in the ass. Or ************* as that would appear in the chat. :/
Seriously some of the words I said were completely harmless.

Why the hell should 'close' be censored? It's also annoying how it censors the whole message.

I think the best I did today with the controller was 2.17 so don't worry Dibbz, I'll go with you to the depths of mediocrity :(

And yeah, the censorsh-***************

Metalmurphy said:
What was the best lap during that practice?

Best I saw was Nab with a 1:15.2, but that was before Paskowitz joined and it was only like Nab's third practice lap so the real best lap time was probably was lower.

2:19 you are either very slow or you are about to die because you have no tires
2:20 you messed up or you have no tires
2:20+ you pitted

I don't remember pitting... :(

paskowitz

weekend_warrior said:
Best I saw was Nab with a 1:15.2, but that was before Paskowitz joined and it was only like Nab's third practice lap so the real best lap time was probably was lower.

I don't remember pitting... :(

I had 2 2:14's during the race. But that was pushing very hard. I would go a little easier in the actual race. I will upload a video of my 2:13.7 run later so you can see what lines I take and what my braking points are. I hope you find it valuable.

I had fun even though I was pretty consistently last.

expert for that one really wet race we did where everyone was spinning out and I managed to get 3rd with the slow and steady approach.

Dont know what it is with turn 9 but I kept going off and it would mess up my line for the next bend.

also Heavy Damage is a bitch after spending the last while only doing a spec and seasonal events. after everyone crashing into each other in the first corner and then going the rest of the race constantly turning left was interesting though.

I hope PD can have Heavy damage in A spec in GT6. get use to it more.

paskowitz said:
I had 2 2:14's during the race. But that was pushing very hard. I would go a little easier in the actual race. I will upload a video of my 2:13.7 run later so you can see what lines I take and what my braking points are. I hope you find it valuable.

I saved a few replays from the races we had, and I'm definitely going to watching your and Nabs to see where I can push harder and where I'm losing a lot of time. Lap times aren't everything though, staying sharp and focused is more important for me during a race.

Top Bottom