• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Toxa

I can't believe it, kaze went into the wall, Dibbz now lead the race, olivur take the 2nd place with fresh rubber

Toxa

result :

771313IMGP0860.jpg

ashk and niks DNF
about fastest lap during the race :

935157IMGP0857.jpg

Ashk didn't retire and wth at that best lap. Mine was set to 1.29,9something which was mine lol

Freaking GT5 bugs (unless those laps were made near the end and I didnt notice)

Norante said:
Im back... but my PS3 is shot. :(

What happened? Another YLOD?

Kaze13

I was zoning out and went into the back straight too fast. I had eveything under control I thought. Next lap revealed why. I noticed that the first braking marker at the back straight was knocked down. I totally missed it and braked at the second marker instead on the previous lap...fucks sake. I was backing off a little too because I had 8 seconds to play with and tires were sliding all over the place. FML. :(

weekend_warrior said:
Wow, congrats to Dibbz! Tough break for Kaze, I guess his 0 pits strategy didn't pay off. Only 7 people finished? Pretty crappy showing.

Not many more started either. Just 9. From the supposed 16+2 that's quite the turn out

Toxa

weekend_warrior said:
Wow, congrats to Dibbz! Tough break for Kaze, I guess his 0 pits strategy didn't pay off. Only 7 people finished? Pretty crappy showing.

a lot of disconnection

@paskowitz LMAO, thanks ;)

Angst

Yeah, crappy showing tonight. Hopefully Spa + DTM will turn out better. If grid gets full and you've chosen to abandon races before the spot will go to guys that I know finish most of their races.

Niks, I presume tonight was an exception / frustration of some kind? You've done 50+ races with us before, so you're guaranteed a spot anyway :)

Angst said:
Yeah, crappy showing tonight. Hopefully Spa + DTM will turn out better. If grid gets full and you've chosen to abandon races before the spot will go to guys that I know finish most of their races.

Niks, I presume tonight was an exception / frustration of some kind? You've done 50+ races with us before, so you're guaranteed a spot anyway :)

What are the recommended DTM cars? I think the only one I have is one of the Opel Astra Touring Cars.

Polyphony

Well, that was a pretty fun race!

Started 6th I think, the first turn was clean, no contacts. I was going to race until the end on the same set of tires. At some point, Dibbz was trailing me for a few laps, and staying ahead of him was not the best thing to do for my strategy. After he passed me, I slowed down to conserve the tires.

Then mid-race, nab and Niks disconnected... I looked twice at the message, got distracted, missed the braking point and hit a wall head-on lol, noobish mistake. I then had to pit for repairs and got a new set of tires for the last 10 laps.

Kaze was leading at that point with a 40 second lead, and it was pretty exciting to see the gap whittle away with the fresher tires. Unfortunately, Dibbz was also on a 1 pit strategy and I couldn't catch up to him on the last lap.

Fun stuff!

Angst

weekend_warrior said:
What are the recommended DTM cars? I think the only one I have is one of the Opel Astra Touring Cars.
I'll post the list tomorrow - but you can go to the DTM races in A-Spec / Seasonals and see what cars are allowed. We'll limit the PP to make for an even field.

paskowitz

Angst said:
I'll post the list tomorrow - but you can go to the DTM races in A-Spec / Seasonals and see what cars are allowed. We'll limit the PP to make for an even field.

The CLK will need a MAJOR nerf. Definitely sub 600pp. It would be cool if the R32 and R33 TC (from the DLC) were allowed since they are of a similar design.

Angst

paskowitz said:
The CLK will need a MAJOR nerf. Definitely sub 600pp. It would be cool if the R32 and R33 TC (from the DLC) were allowed since they are of a similar design.
I think we'll stick to DTM cars at 580pp like we've done before for simplicity's sake.

Dibbz

Holy crap you would not believe what happened during this race.

Started well but MM took 3rd off me. I tailed the front 3 for a while until MM dive bombed right into Nab and took himself out of the race. Nab was damaged but still kept going with a broken rear I think. Niks hits the wall at the final chicane whilst I'm chasing him giving me 2nd. I spin off later and Olivur gets ahead of me.

Some good racing between us both but I mange to get ahead. He reels me back in but he eventually goes off. Nab get s disconnected so I'm leading the race. I get to 17 laps on one set of tyres posting 1:33's I think. Decide to pit before I screw up and Kaze and Asclepio take over during this. I have new rubber and I'm taking 2 seconds out of Kaze's lead every lap when my god damn G25 comes unstuck on the stand. I'm trying to get around the track whilst my G25 is flailing around in my arms. I lose surprisingly on a few seconds on both Kaze and Asc and on the 24th lap Kaze hits the wall on the final chicane and I go through in 1st position. Olivur then comes through and takes 2nd with his new rubber.

Crazy race.

I'm really sorry I couldn't be there tonight, but I guess you can imagine how much I wish I had the DLC already :p I love the RX7 too.

I have a proposal to make damage light, because even though heavy damage is good from time to time and can make races more exciting... it can also suck a lot and if you get bad damage and can barely move (like it happened to me at the end of the Spa race, I really couldn't drive straight for more than 5 meters) it's kinda normal to just quit the race...

Besides, it's been a while since we last used it, the grid can get pretty big and we're using fast cars.

It's just a proposal anyway, I'll always try to participate in whatever circumstances, but seeing how almost everyone seems to have enough experience already to race cleanly...

On next week's race: I love DTM so bring it on! I remember my first race with GAF was Le Mans with DTM, and I really enjoyed trying to catch toxa... :D I'm hoping it can be as good as that one.

Dibbz said:
Holy crap you would not believe what happened during this race.

Started well but MM took 3rd off me. I tailed the front 3 for a while until MM dive bombed right into Nab and took himself out of the race. Nab was damaged but still kept going with a broken rear I think. Niks hits the wall at the final chicane whilst I'm chasing him giving me 2nd. I spin off later and Olivur gets ahead of me.

Some good racing between us both but I mange to get ahead. He reels me back in but he eventually goes off. Nab get s disconnected so I'm leading the race. I get to 17 laps on one set of tyres posting 1:33's I think. Decide to pit before I screw up and Kaze and Asclepio take over during this. I have new rubber and I'm taking 2 seconds out of Kaze's lead every lap when my god damn G25 comes unstuck on the stand. I'm trying to get around the track whilst my G25 is flailing around in my arms. I lose surprisingly on a few seconds on both Kaze and Asc and on the 24th lap Kaze hits the wall on the final chicane and I go through in 1st position. Olivur then comes through and takes 2nd with his new rubber.

Crazy race.

Wasn't really a dive bomb :p We started braking pretty much at the same time, but I was going for the inside when I noticed he was turning too fast, so I tried going to the outside line but it was too late. I'm surprised my car got as damaged as it did (2 wheels + engine), I think Ashk only got tire damage, if he even got that.

After my pit I was doing pretty decent and consistent times, but I span out on the TRL while trying not to go off track around lap 20 or so. -.-

Dibbz said:
I have new rubber and I'm taking 2 seconds out of Kaze's lead every lap when my god damn G25 comes unstuck on the stand. I'm trying to get around the track whilst my G25 is flailing around in my arms.

Crazy race.

That's what I call risk of mechanical failure :p I've had my TV turned off and my pedals unplugged before, I know what you felt.

ashk

No worries MM, I damaged Dibbz the same way last race so I know how it feels. I've noticed that I turn in tighter and earlier than some people into the first corner to try and cut across the apex; I've been taking that line in all the races we've had on this track so that's pretty much the only way I know how to get through there quickly :p

I got right rear damage so my times were a bit off, 1:30s was the best I could do. Despite that I managed to make a 18 second gap so I even started thinking about trying to no-stop the race to make it interesting, but the damage was driving me crazy so I decided to pit when I started doing 31s. But just a few corners before the stop I got disconnected. I tried reconnecting a few times and kept on getting the "You have been disconnected from the server" message, so I went to make myself a sandwich instead. There was definitely an issue with the lounge tonight.

Got a damage - alone - after 5 laps, and unfortunately lost control and destroyed someones race...

Anyway, 20 laps with the same tires, yikes! Feel bad about Kaze. lol

paskowitz

Hey Angst, any chance for a one make LFA race? Maybe at Fuji or Suzuka?

Other ideas:
-New Camaro RM vs DLC Challenger TC @ an American Track
-Old Camaro RM vs Old Challenger RM @ an American Track
-Alfa Romeo 8C vs Maserati Gran Turismo S @ Monaco
-GAF NRL 24 laps of Nurburging (24hr w/accelerated TOD and weather change) w/ Kazmobile (This has to be done)

Kaze13

asclepio_gtr said:
Got a damage - alone - after 5 laps, and unfortunately lost control and destroyed someones race...

Anyway, 20 laps with the same tires, yikes! Feel bad about Kaze. lol

It was not the tires. The car felt good for all 25 laps. I only dipped to 1:33.5's+ after lap 20 (I tried to maintain low 1:32's). I could have easily won that if not for a brainfart (only after nab left). I was hoping for 3rd place if nab and tox were in the mix. If nab stayed and pitted he would still have had a massive 25+ second lead.

paskowitz said:

Other ideas:

-GAF NRL 24 laps of Nurburging (24hr w/accelerated TOD and weather change) w/ Kazmobile (This has to be done)

Please not Laguna Seca... Please not Laguna Seca...

Kaze13

Polyphony said:
I really liked the option of having two viable strategies. It's one of the rare times that I participate in a race where both strategies were almost equal.

Monaco would be so good (I love that track), but passing would be difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZWPBNVZKdc

Tell me about it. My race was interesting in which I started in last place. Then I saw people make mistakes and I grabbed a spot here and there. The highlights: the battle against angst and taking #1 and holding on to it for a while.

paskowitz said:

Other ideas:

I have been thinking about this recently so I shall put it out here and see what people say. Does anyone fancy getting back on with the Super GT league? I like the one off races but we are here every week and it would be great if we could add some consistent competition and actually have a meta game to tie these weekly races together. As much as I hate to suggest it without Mush, he really doesn't appear to be in any position to organize it right now.

MikeDub said:
I have been thinking about this recently so I shall put it out here and see what people say. Does anyone fancy getting back on with the Super GT league? I like the one off races but we are here every week and it would be great if we could add some consistent competition and actually have a meta game to tie these weekly races together. As much as I hate to suggest it without Mush, he really doesn't appear to be in any position to organize it right now.

Honestly? No. There are too many great cars in GT5 to be using the same ones over and over. It get's boring. And besides that it was generally pretty noncompetitive racing too. If Mush or anybody wants to keep doing the SuperGT league that's fine, but I really don't want the NRL to turn into a strictly race car league.

Angst

MikeDub said:
Yeah. I'd like that. I've offered Mush to help out with hosting and getting the lounges and practices up and running, but I won't/can't do the rest of the admin stuff.

However, I think the Spa race will be the last "one-off" race. We will continue doing one-, two make and different class races - the only difference will be that I start keeping track of results and distribute points after the races. Only reason we haven't done that so far is that I was too lazy to sort that shit out... :p

I'd like to have both SuperGT (maybe even with special GT300 stages??) with or without teams and random races, maybe one every week or something.

Angst

Hopefully I won't have time to post the full race details tonight, but dtm, spa and RH is a lock. 580 pp tentatively. You guys can start signing up as well.

Angst said:
Hopefully I won't have time to post the full race details tonight, but dtm, spa and RH is a lock. 580 pp tentatively. You guys can start signing up as well.

How about hp and weight limitation? Had a DTM race the other night and it was really competitive!

Top Bottom