• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Omg, the R8 is an handfull on Spa -.-

But I love this car so much! I must master it!

Doesn't help that I removed downforce to meet the PP requirements.

R4Msn.jpg

Also, 1.19'6xx with the R8.

I still like the R8 more -.- Such a blast to drive.

The car can't even go to 580PP with just BHP upgrades, I had to max out downforce to reach 580.

Polyphony said:
I raise you this with the R8 LMS! :D

b0viIl.jpg

Damn, that's quite a big difference from your other laps. Finally managed to hold the car straight? lol

Angst

I'm not going to start banning cars now. If someone wants to win single player style in an OP car it's on them :p

Angst said:
I'm not going to start banning cars now. If someone wants to win single player style in an OP car it's on them :p

Alfa might be OP, R8 sure aint, I dare you to try and do a clean lap considering you have to remove downforce to meet the PP.

yeah, once every 5 laps you "might" do it
lol.gif

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Alfa might be OP, R8 sure aint, I dare you to try and do a clean lap considering you have to remove downforce to meet the PP.

yeah, once every 5 laps you "might" do it
lol.gif
Lol, it's that bad? Add worn tyres to that... And one busted tyre.

paskowitz

What are you guys doing for tuning? Right now I am maxing power, increasing weight and lowering downforce. Usually something like 1200kg, 480-490hp, 25-45 DF.

I remember from La Sarthe that the Alfa passed everyone on the straights like they were a Samba Bus. I love the car and it sure was fast but I couldn't find a good setup so I ended up not using it.

You guys just suck! lol

Did a 1:21'6 on my first lap, cold tires, with the a TT that needed an oil change, i can get it in the 1:20's easily.

The M3 is faster then the TT. So probably 1:19s. Difference aint that big.

Risk Breaker said:
I remember from La Sarthe that the Alfa passed everyone on the straights like they were a Samba Bus. I love the car and it sure was fast but I couldn't find a good setup so I ended up not using it.
On straights? Top Speed on the Alfa is a shame. It only has acceleration and 4WD going for it. You're probably remembering the start up, but ti's a 4WD, so that's normal.

Metalmurphy said:
On straights? Top Speed on the Alfa is a shame. It only has acceleration and 4WD going for it. You're probably remembering the start up, but ti's a 4WD, so that's normal.

Well, I'm not sure, but that's what I remember. I don't know what PP we were using though.

Is anyone going to practice in the lounge?

Angst

Risk Breaker said:
Well, I'm not sure, but that's what I remember. I don't know what PP we were using though.

Is anyone going to practice in the lounge?
Definitely tomorrow night. Busy today.

ashk

If you guys are gonna continue comparing lap times, at least play with the proper lounge settings :p When I joined today you had tyre wear and fuel consumption turned off and grip reduction set to low.

ashk said:
If you guys are gonna continue comparing lap times, at least play with the proper lounge settings :p When I joined today you had tyre wear and fuel consumption turned off and grip reduction set to low.

tyre wear and fuel consumption don't affect "best lap" times, you're obviously not gonna do a best lap on weak tyres, and fuel consumption doesn't make the car go faster like it should. Grip reduction only if you're naughty lol

ashk

Metalmurphy said:
tyre wear and fuel consumption don't affect "best lap" times, you're obviously not gonna do a best lap on weak tyres, and fuel consumption doesn't make the car go faster like it should. Grip reduction only if you're naughty lol

I dunno, from my experience tyre wear off improves my lap times. After turning tyre wear on today, I couldn't get close to the lap time I had done while it was off. It might have been the grip reduction though. But it still doesn't make sense to compare lap times done under settings that won't be used in race conditions.

Polyphony

True that. Anyway, I doubt anyone will be doing low 1.19s during the race. I think I'll stick to the CLK Touring Car if I make it on Sunday. It's the car that I drive most consistently with (also one of the lightest!)

Angst

ashk said:
This is important. Practice with the wrong conditions can give you a pretty unpleasant surprise on Sunday... Especially if it rains.

With tyre wear off you'll start with optimal grip and they stay like that the whole time. With tyre wear on you start with cold tyres, then they gradually warm up and grip improves until it reaches a certain point where they start degrading. Most important is to know how they behave when cold as that is how they will be in perhaps the most risky part of the race - the start.

[EDIT] I realize that I haven't communicated the lounge settings properly to the new guys - I just took for granted that everyone was familiar with them. Sorry about that, I've added it to the Race OP.
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic

Toxa

ashk said:
When I joined today you had tyre wear and fuel consumption turned off and grip reduction set to low.

614501warfgif.gif

LMAO with grip reduction set to low the grip is completely different (not only in the rain or grass) but actually closer to offline (less slippery)

Toxa said:
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/614501warfgif.gif

LMAO with grip reduction set to low the grip is completely different (not only in the rain or grass) but actually closer to offline (less slippery)

Grip reduction only affects offtrack, not on it.

Toxa

Metalmurphy said:
Grip reduction only affects offtrack, not on it.

right after spec 2 I wanted to know if PD fixed the grip online.

I tried both setup (grip reduction low and realistic ) on the same track (GVS), car and tyres.

at the exit of the second hairpin with realistic grip it was really slippery, later with grip reduction set to low the car was (almost ?) perfectly stable like offline ...

Polyphony

I just lowered the engine power to meet 580pp. You could also try lowering the downforce or increasing the weight with a ballast. I don't know what's the magical tune, but I guess it would be a balance of all three.

l2ounD

whoa, first time running Spa... loving it! The flow of the track is excellent, super fun highspeed turns. :D

Im still a good couple seconds off the time in the CLK, but should be good to go come race day.

Toxa

so I tried with tyre wear and fuel consumption turned off and grip reduction set to low.

I managed to crush easily my best lap with my first lap ... and improve it two laps later

419555IMGP0865.jpg

I was at least 1sec faster

Toxa said:
so I tried with tyre wear and fuel consumption turned off and grip reduction set to low.

I managed to crush easily my best lap with my first lap ... and improve it two laps later

419555IMGP0865.jpg

So my 2.21 online yesterday wasn't as bad as I thought :)

Toxa said:

[]http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/419555IMGP0865.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah but you do tend to cut alot, in which case the setting does matter.

O0WGq.jpg

Cg3Xf.jpg

1 lap cold tires, same time as my 1st lap yesterday, I made a mistake on my second lap and don't have time to make more, but I'll make them later and go 1:19 dead easily, probably less, but yeah times are identical, and the car feels exactly the same.

Also notice what it says when I change the setting. "when off course"

Neither of us was right or wrong. We're just testing on different conditions.

It seems like the grip levels are different for the Non Weather and Weather version of the track, even if the wet level is at 0%, which is quite stupid.

So if we're racing on Weather version, practice in that. My times went from 1:19 to 1:21 (although with several mistakes since it actually behaved that differently)

Business

Metalmurphy said:

It seems like the grip levels are different for the Non Weather and Weather version of the track, even if the wet level is at 0%, which is quite stupid.

So if we're racing on Weather version, practice in that. My times went from 1:19 to 1:21 (although with several mistakes since it actually behaved that differently)

Colder track?

Toxa

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah but you do tend to cut alot, in which case the setting does matter.
my laptime was perfectly legal ... :eek:

Metalmurphy said:

I still believe I'm right about the grip set to low/realistic
all my test was always conducted at spa with weather change and this afternoon with realistic grip the track was way more slippery than earlier this morning with grip reduction set to low

either way it's important for all of us to train at the exact same condition as the race

Circuit Spa de Francorchamps (change weather)
Racing Hard
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic

chillumchilla said:
I'm only a reserve but just in case my Car will be Nissan GT-R R33.
p.s. penalty settings?

Don't worry, you should get a spot on sunday...

About your choice, I don't think that's a good idea... The R32 and the R33 feels really slow compared to the TTR, the CLK and the R8.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
There will still be penalties. I'll just ram you off the road if I see you cut.
You need to pick one of the trucks and just hang around in Eau Rouge as a warning to everyone.

asclepio_gtr said:
Don't worry, you should get a spot on sunday...

About your choice, I don't think that's a good idea... The R32 and the R33 feels really slow compared to the TTR, the CLK and the R8.

Thanks for the advice, would the CLK be good for a gettin' on a bit dui driver?

I love Heavy Damage, it is like in real life driving with a sharpened faeces' smeared iron stake protruding from the front steering wheel aiming directly at your sternum (try it some time ;-) )!

Polyphony

CLK has good grip coming out of corners so you don't run the risk of oversteering and spinning out as much. If you're DUI, then this car is the right choice!

chillumchilla said:
Thanks for the advice, would the CLK be good for a gettin' on a bit dui driver?

I love Heavy Damage, it is like in real life driving with a sharpened faeces' smeared iron stake protruding from the front steering wheel aiming directly at your sternum (try it some time ;-) )!

I would say Volvo, but guess it is not available :p

Angst

OK, so here's the story:

Starting tomorrow I will keep track of the results for the coming 10 races.

Next Sunday will be a medium power race (probably TT, M3 and 350Z I think). Week after that will be an historic race with old race cars (330 P4, Jag, Ford, Chaparall etc). Those cars are insanely expensive, so don't blow your money on an F1 now if you have the credits. A couple of weeks later we will do a Formula race (either F GT, F10 or F2007).

That sounds awesome. Feels like a proper championship, will their be a points system?

Also for the race tomorrow I'll be using the BMW M3 GTR. Its the only car I've done practice in and feel comfortable with lap times from 2.21 to 2.23.

ibpQS7qZeABfp9.gif

Angst

SunhiLegend said:
That sounds awesome. Feels like a proper championship, will their be a points system?

Also for the race tomorrow I'll be using the BMW M3 GTR. Its the only car I've done practice in and feel comfortable with lap times from 2.21 to 2.23.

http://i.minus.com/ibpQS7qZeABfp9.gif
Yep, same as we used for NRL Season 1. No teams though. I'll post it tomorrow - in a bit of a rush now.

Top Bottom