• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Good news, Angst :)

I still don't know for sure which car I'll use, too busy with other stuff :( I feel the fastest is the R8 but I dunno... it doesn't feel like the right thing to do but I don't want to be lapped either :/

Not much time for practice tomorrow either as I'll be buying a Move for HOTD:Overkill (muthafuckas) and some other things :D But I'll be there.

Angst

I'm not 100 % sure I can make it tomorrow... :- If not you guys know the drill and will have to manage on your own. If I can't make it I'll let you guys know in advance and appoint MM or another of the old-timers to set up the lounge and start the race on time.

Sorry about this, I was really looking forward to the race, but some things in life are (surprisingly) more important than GT :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Angst you can give my reserve spot to the next in line. I know 100% I won't race, although I'llj oin asap to spectate.

Angst

I can't make it tonight unfortunately, but one of the old-timers can take charge and do things the usual way. Remember to post the results here afterwards!

Angst

Circuit de Spa Francorchamps

(I know the cars are wrong)

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1320609600z0.png

Allowed cars:

DTM Cars:

S Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 TI Touring Car '93
S Audi A4 Touring Car '04
S Audi Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car ‘02
P Lexus IS F Racing Concept ‘08
S Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 – 16 Evolution II Touring Car ‘92
S Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car ‘00
S Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) ‘00
S Opel Calibra Touring Car ‘94
S Vauxhall Astra Super Touring Car ‘00
S Vauxhall Calibra Super Touring Car ‘94
P Nissan Skyline R32 TC
P Nissan Skyline R33 TC
S BMW M3 Race Car
S Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09

Post your chosen car before the race!
Tuning allowed:
  • Knock yourself out - PP limited to 580 PP

Tyre Selection
Racing Hard, Racing Rain, Racing Inters​
Track:
Circuit Spa de Francorchamps (change weather)
Laps:
20 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (21 / 16): :p
  • 01 - Angst - Nissan Skyline R33 TC
  • 02 - paskowitz
  • 03 - Toxa - Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car ‘00
  • 04 - Gynoug79
  • 05 - Risk Breaker
  • 06 - Weekend_warrior
  • 07 - asclepio_gtr
  • 08 - Dibbz
  • 09 - ashk - Lexus IS F Racing Concept ‘08
  • 10 - SunhiLegend
  • 11 - SpeedOfNuts - Audi TT-R Touring Car ‘02
  • 12 - MikeDub
  • 13 - Kaze13
  • 14 - Risk Breaker
  • 15 - l2ound
  • 16 - Niks - Audi A4 Touring Car '04
  • R1 - Polyphony
  • R2 - Metalmurphy
  • R3 - DashKappei
  • R4 - Xun
  • R5 - chillumchilla

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 20.00 CET
Lounge reset - 20.55 CET
Qualifications start - 21.00 CET
Race start 21.15 CET

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Awesomeness:

Toxa

wtf

05 - Risk Breaker
06 - Weekend_warrior
07 - asclepio_gtr
08 - Dibbz
09 - ashk - Lexus IS F Racing Concept ‘08
10 - SunhiLegend
11 - SpeedOfNuts - Audi TT-R Touring Car ‘02
12 - MikeDub
13 - Kaze13
14 - Risk Breaker

Risk Breaker twice LMAO

Toxa

patau is gone, lazlow is gonne, gynoug keep loading on my screen ...

I'm sad because it was my last race (for a while) and I was competitive lol

Business

Toxa said:
patau is gone, lazlow is gonne, gynoug keep loading on my screen ...

yeah patau is me... is this normal? I dont have much online experience... does this happen all the time?
I was having a blast actually, did a couple or three stupid mistakes but was happy with 4th

SpeedOfNuts said:
yeah patau is me... is this normal? I dont have much online experience... does this happen all the time?
I was having a blast actually, did a couple or three stupid mistakes but was happy with 4th

No, but it did happen on the last race as well.

Kaze13

Daylight savings fail :/ at least it was fun to watch the last 1/4 of the race. Ashk cutting down the lead in the last lap was good stuff. Congrats, thepatriots. Way to keep your cool.

Polyphony

I got damaged early in the race. It's so hard to drive damaged with a DS3. Then I spent the following 3 laps looking for the pitlane entrance lol. Forgot to do that when I practiced on this track earlier in the week.

Toxa said:
risk breaker what happened ? you car was ok and 2 corner later damaged wtf ... ?

Yeah. I had two slight "taps" with the faux turf outside a couple of kerbs and there I go instantly flying towards the closest wall :D Then back to the track.

I did a great start (without TCS), got from 3rd to 2nd, could almost keep up with paskowitz but I had to crash :/

I overtook a lot of people later and easily, but the podium was lost. Shitty racing from me lately :(

That was a pretty good race. I managed to come in 2nd
from last
:D
Could have done better, but over-cautiousness at the first corner dropped me from 5th the 9th (out of 10 that started) and I got stuck behind Lazlow and I could never find a clean chance to pass. I did have some really battles going with GTR(?) and olivur later though. From my viewpoint everything looked super super clean, a big change from the early days when a first corner pileup was guaranteed.

Polyphony

I didn't qualify today since had to do a few things before the race, so I started last. I basically finished all my prior duties right when the race started; I hoped onto my couch right at the 3-2-1 countdown!

I gained a few positions in the first corner. No big incidents there which was pretty awesome to see from the back.

Then I had a little clash with Lazlow, not sure who was at fault, but I'm sorry anyway. I trailed behind for the next 4 laps with a damaged front left, missing the pit entrance every time lol. Finally I managed to find where the pitlane was when I saw Lazlow go for his stop, so I literally crashed into the pitlane at the last second.

Rest of the race was pretty fun, I had some moments with Edgey, white, Lazlow, Gynoug. Then on the penultimate lap, I was pushing hard to catch Edgey, crashed myself and limped to the finish line.

Angst

Good to hear that the race went well, despite some pesky connection problems (again).

Could someone please post the results and upload a PAL replay to mediafire for me?

ashk

Wow, that was an exciting race for me until the finish line! I'm sure it was for paskowitz as well ;)

I wasn't expecting such a good finish in this one as I did less than 10 practice laps before today, so I only managed to get 4th in qualifying. After the start and with Risk Breaker slowing down I was kinda expecting to be holding off Niks until the end at best, since paskowitz had an ever increasing lead by then. Then I got some breathing space and with every lap I got a bit better at driving the track and I managed to get a bit closer at the end of the first stint.

After pitting, I finally got the flow of the track right, stopped doing unnecessary mistakes, started getting into the 2:20s and slowly closed in. I never though I could win short of paskowitz crashing out, but I wanted to see how close I could get and it turned out to be pretty close :p But to be fair, a lot of the time I made up was due to paskowitz being too cautious by the end of the race; he had a big enough lead and there was no reason to drive any faster than he did. For me being ahead and trying to hold someone off is usually a more stressful position than being the chaser, so I'd have probably done the same thing.

Niks

Nab did you get damage at the start of the race?
I was faster than you (which is pretty weird) heh.

I had to pit on lap 6 due to damage, so my second stint was 14 laps. Was kind of surprised how close I was behind you when you pitted on lap 10.

Good race, but again, such a shame we cant get a full grid due to various reasons.

btw I used these settings for weather. Got a bit cloudy but no rain.
- weather at race start: 25%
- weather changeability: 4

paskowitz

ashk said:
Wow, that was an exciting race for me until the finish line! I'm sure it was for paskowitz as well ;)

I wasn't expecting such a good finish in this one as I did less than 10 practice laps before today, so I only managed to get 4th in qualifying. After the start and with Risk Breaker slowing down I was kinda expecting to be holding off Niks until the end at best, since paskowitz had an ever increasing lead by then. Then I got some breathing space and with every lap I got a bit better at driving the track and I managed to get a bit closer at the end of the first stint.

After pitting, I finally got the flow of the track right, stopped doing unnecessary mistakes, started getting into the 2:20s and slowly closed in. I never though I could win short of paskowitz crashing out, but I wanted to see how close I could get and it turned out to be pretty close :p But to be fair, a lot of the time I made up was due to paskowitz being too cautious by the end of the race; he had a big enough lead and there was no reason to drive any faster than he did. For me being ahead and trying to hold someone off is usually a more stressful position than being the chaser, so I'd have probably done the same thing.

It was a decent race for me believe it or not. EdgyPoo had good pace in the beginning and you were closing in towards the end. During my first stint I made two almost race ending mistakes. I almost crashed twice on the high speed corner before the final chicane. After that I lifted every time. It was a good race from the perspective of learning how to put down consistent times. Basically, maintaining the gap.

I was not putting down very fast laps, just being consistent. To those that struggle, focus on that more than anything thing. Find your pace and stick to it. When you are battling, remember, you have to finish the race. As the guy behind, the guy in front is under pressure not you.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I meant to ask:

I always use no TCS and ABS to 1, what do the top drivers do?
Depends on the car or you always go for the same settings?

Glad you guys had fun :)
It seems the dropout is usually 30% to 40% of the entrants, to manage a full grid I think 8 or 9 reserves would be needed, quite a few eheh

Polyphony

No aids (except ABS)! The NRL doesn't allow aids so I'm pretty sure nobody uses TCS, ASM, SRF. I think most people use ABS 1 as well but practice threshold braking.

Keys to being fast: hitting the apex (knowing when to hit a late apex), trail braking, threshold braking, managing grip (using weight transfer to your advantage).

Game related tips: setting map scale to 2-3 and fixed to car (allows you to see other cars around you on the map).

I think we were 10 last week also. But this week, a few members got fooled by daylight saving. Hopefully we get 16 next week!

NRL DTM Race @ Spa- 11/6/11
Part 1

I4Qdi.jpg

The starting grid.

DQ2mL.jpg

ThePatriot, Niks, EdgeyPoo, and Nab lead the pack.

4hD4z.jpg

The first corner goes clean with nobody taking any damage.

RYXdw.jpg

Niks gets squirrley going up Eau Rouge, touches Patau, and causes minor damage to himself and Patau.

TsseP.jpg

Meanwhile SunhiLegend meets a worse fate as he goes in too fast and hit the wall.

SHl0K.jpg

Lap 3 Patau gets loose and hits the wall ahead of Nabs and Niks. Despite getting heavy suspension and engine damage he doesn't pit, keeps making clean laps and never drops below 6th.

Gz0SZ.jpg

Patau, Gynoug, Lazlow, Myself, and Oliver stay close, trailing the leader by only 15 seconds after 3 laps.

4vT5x.jpg

EdgeyPoo trying to maintain pace with Patriot in the distance.

5Z1gA.jpg

A near miss for myself as I slip behind Lazlow and Olivur on lap 4.

SzSuy.jpg

EdgeyPoo loses his tail around turn 11 at Pouhon and loses spots to Nabs and Niks, who now take 2nd and 3rd.

SHqm4.jpg

A broken EdgeyPoo getting overtaken by the Bimmer Brothers- lap 4.

4i8Uw.jpg

SunhiLegend continues his long hard race from the back.

TwqvT.jpg

Olivur and Lazlow touch fenders in Eau Rouge causing minor damage and allowing me to catch up.

CaQO9.jpg

I finally overtake Lazlow.

Zxth4.jpg

And then Olivur a few turns later after he goes wide.

YHoxz.jpg

Nabs and Niks bumper to bumper but still trailing Patriot by 8 seconds.

Rcfgc.jpg

Patiot by himself after 5 laps- "Hello? Is anyone there? I'm so loney. :("

NaAtW.jpg

Niks pits lap 6 after taking more damage coming out of Rivage.

ST2Ry.jpg

A close shave- Niks overtakes me to get back to 5th after an early pit.

1obBb.jpg

Lazlow and Olivur hit the pits for crumpets and tea. (sorry about the crappy angle, no manual camera angles were available for this shot)

VRicB.jpg

Gynoug can't compete with Niks on worn tires and loses 4th place.

InRo2.jpg

Lazlow on cold tires gets all sorts of sideways exiting Pouhon and amazingly takes no damage, but does drop to last place.

HGmrm.jpg

Lap 10- EdgeyPoo's powerful R8 overtakes my weak but nimble CLK to take 5th place.

1mpGN.jpg

Nab enters the pits 6 seconds behind.

1Hm8t.jpg

As Patriot crosses the midway point still in 1st.

Part 2

KDBvs.jpg

After taking light damage the 1st lap and heavy damage to his engine and suspension 2 laps later, Patau finally (and barely) finds the pit lane, unbelievable still in 3rd place.

EzFqR.jpg

My weak CLK gets crushed on the straight again, Gynough easily overtakes me for 6th place.

VYVAe.jpg

Patriot leaves the pits- his once strong lead down to 5 seconds.

T4qWr.jpg

Gynough breaks too late in the chicane and loses a spot to me.

Bt5Az.jpg

And then quickley retakes it on the long striaght. Damn you CLK, have you no balls!

CFzvD.jpg

Lazlow going the wrong way again before getting disconnected. 8 racers left.

RyNGP.jpg

On lap 12, EdgeyPoo, after battling back to 4th after his lap 4 diaster, disides to pit again on relatively fresh tires, he's passed by Patau.

22A7A.jpg

Gynough, myself, and Olivur at the back of the pack trail by about 50 seconds.

7sAQD.jpg

I lead the loveable losers after the last turn on lap 13.

5QzKF.jpg

With 5 laps remaining Patriot leads Nab by 4 seconds, followed by Niks by 14 seconds, Patau 33 seconds, EdgyPoo 47 seconds, and me, Olivur

and Gynoug tightly packed about 1 minute back.

293tn.jpg

Lap 16- EdgeyPoo spins out coming out of Rivage causing left front damage.

2PNke.jpg

Then a near disaster also in Rivage leaves me in last place, but without damage.

NVyx8.jpg

A total disaster in Eua Rogue leaves Patua with severe damage to engine and suspension, he get disconnect later. 7 racers left.

HTuEa.jpg

Last lap- Patriot has a 3 second lead on Nab.

ZBL8e.jpg

Olivur loses control on lap 19, he get severe left side and engine damage.

bwJIB.jpg

I close the gap on Olivur.

Dbb4Z.jpg

Patriot takes the checkered, coming just behind is Nab.

FCush.jpg

Niks finishs, battered, but on the podium.

b3BoA.jpg

EdgeyPoo finishes in style.

Kvnjl.jpg

The CLK's finish together. Olivur just ahead of Weekend.

IVx13.jpg

And finally crossing is Gynough. Ending a long hard day at Circuit Spa- Francorchamps.

Polyphony

Awesome recap! Sorry for cutting between your posts, I was editing mine as well and didn't know you posted lol. It seems like it was an incident filled race, except for paskowitz who beat us all Vettel style.

Results

1. thepatriots/paskowitz - Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car (in 47:59)
2. nabijemte/ashk - BMW M3 GTR Race Car (+1.827)
3. Niks/Niks - BMW M3 GTR Race Car (+30.567)
4. EdgeyPoo/Risk Breaker - Audi R8 LMS Race Car (Team PlayStation) (+1:06.140)
5. olivur/Polyphony - Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car (+1:21.870)
6. white_shadow00/weekend_warrior - Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car (+1:23.763)
7. GHR_Gynoug79/Gynoug79 - Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) (+1:52.940)

Fastest lap: 2:20.810 by thepatriots

7bOKd.jpg

Business

very nice pictures and recap weekend_warrior

I have to say I never crashed at Eau Rouge though, I was probably disconnected already :p

Wow very, awesome work guys :) To be honest I had a lot of fun climbing back to fourth. And hey, if you think my R8 is fast, you should see the Calibra... 270km/h at the end of the straight easily. Too bad it can't corner at all on this track somehow :p

I like my purple colour :D

Angst said:
Next Sunday will be a medium power race (probably TT, M3 and 350Z I think).

It sounds good but, any chance we could use, I don't know, the new CR-Z buffed up or something? I miss some FF racing in a twisted track like Autumn Ring :( I still remember the Integra races with much love.

ashk

Niks said:
Nab did you get damage at the start of the race?
I was faster than you (which is pretty weird) heh.

Nah, I didn't get damage, I just didn't practice enough - I only did maybe 8 laps on Thursday. And then I completely changed my setup at the start of qualifying - I went maximum downforce because I saw that I wasn't going to be fast enough so I decided I'd better focus on consistency. But I still wasn't that consistent until the end of the first stint because I was still trying to find the best line and kept making small mistakes. After getting fresh tyres everything just came into place and I could finally do do 2:20 laps - I think my best in the race was 2:20.4, compared to the 2:21.8 or something during quali.

Great photo recap ww! And very nice F1-like graphic Polyphony :)

Damn noobie here got a hour out of sync due to confusion over gmt and bst time, just in time to watch the race but not participate. Shame as the was plenty of space on the grid. Oh Well perhaps next week....

Angst

Thanks WW for the stories and pics and thanks Polyphony for the race results + F1 graphs. :)

I'm a bit annoyed that you guys didn't get a full grid, but I was one of the guys that bailed, so I guess I have no right to bitch this week...

This week will be 350Z vs M3 vs C63 at Trial Mountain. All stock, no tuning allowed. I might throw in an FF car for RB if you have a good suggestion.

paskowitz

Angst said:
Thanks WW for the stories and pics and thanks Polyphony for the race results + F1 graphs. :)

I'm a bit annoyed that you guys didn't get a full grid, but I was one of the guys that bailed, so I guess I have no right to bitch this week...

This week will be 350Z vs M3 vs C63 at Trial Mountain. All stock, no tuning allowed. I might throw in an FF car for RB if you have a good suggestion.

I would suggest 370z instead of the 350z. I do not think the 350 is fast enough. Also, I would add the ISF.

Top Bottom