• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Angst

paskowitz said:
I would suggest 370z instead of the 350z. I do not think the 350 is fast enough. Also, I would add the ISF.
That might actually be the one I was thinking about. The most recent Fairlady.

[EDIT]Yep, this beauty:
FairladyZ34.jpg

Angst said:
This week will be 350Z vs M3 vs C63 at Trial Mountain. All stock, no tuning allowed. I might throw in an FF car for RB if you have a good suggestion.

We need an American car too, the Camaro SS should be allowed too.

Angst said:
This week will be 350Z vs M3 vs C63 at Trial Mountain. All stock, no tuning allowed. I might throw in an FF car for RB if you have a good suggestion.

Sounds good :) About that FF car... only one I see at mygranturismo that might even remotely is the Alfa Romeo Brera (http://www.mygranturismo.net/car_sheet.php?id=20) but I dunno, I don't think it qualifies :p

May I suggest the 8C Competizione as it's quite similar to the ISF (at least in the numbers) and it looks/sounds awesome?

The car list looks like the typical NRL race by now :p Not a bad thing at all.

l2ounD

I want in!

I need to be added to the gt5nrl list though... I was all pumped for the last one but couldnt get into the lobby. :/

Angst

l2ounD said:
I want in!

I need to be added to the gt5nrl list though... I was all pumped for the last one but couldnt get into the lobby. :/
I presume you've sent a FR? I'll accept it tonight.

Angst

Start signing up guys (I'm late with the OP).

Cars allowed: 370Z vs M3 vs C63 vs Camaro SS
Track: Trial Mountain

Angst

Trial Mountain Vs Race

<IMAGINE A PIC HERE>

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1321214400z0.png

Allowed cars:
BMW M3 Coupe '07
Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG '08
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10
Tuning allowed:
  • Tuning Prohibited

Tyre Selection
Sports Hard​
Track:
Trial Mountain
Laps:
30 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (16 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Risk Breaker
  • 03 - Ashk
  • 04 - Weekend_warrior
  • 05 - l2ound
  • 06 - paskowitz
  • 07 - Niks
  • 08 - Polyphony
  • 09 - Gynoug79
  • 10 - Toxa
  • 11 - MikeDub
  • 12 - Xun
  • 13 - Kaze13
  • 14 - Speedofnuts
  • 15 - asclepio_gtr
  • 16 - chillumchilla
  • R1 - Metalmurphy
  • R2 - SunhiLegend
  • R3 - Dash Kappei
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Awesomeness:

Toxa

Allowed cars:
BMW M3 '09
Mercedez C63 AMG
Nissan 370Z
Chevrolet Challenger SS

wtf ???

BMW M3 '07 ?
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10 ?
fairlady Z(z34) '08 ?

So sorry about the last race, been a long day ended up in the wall in the first lap thanks to my brother and I couldn't be bothered to finish the race with so many distractions. Completely my fault for thinking I can take up Sunday night on the main TV in the living room. Not sure I can race this week.

By the way can someone please upload or PM me the replay for the last race. Would be much appreciated.

Angst

Toxa said:
Allowed cars:
BMW M3 '09
Mercedez C63 AMG
Nissan 370Z
Chevrolet Challenger SS

wtf ???

BMW M3 '07 ?
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10 ?
fairlady Z(z34) '08 ?
LMAO.

I didn't even get one of the cars right? :D Updating now

Allowed cars:
BMW M3 Coupe '07
Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG '08
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10

The cars are pretty much not at the same BHP / Weight, but IMO they have different advantages and should make for an interesting race. I'm pretty sure I'll use the Fairlady, but haven't decided yet.

Angst

Everyone added. Sunhi added to the reserves.

Toxa: You are on the list because you have tried participating in the last races only to be disconnected. I figured you wanted to do at least one full race before retiring to a life of wine and French women...

Please sign me up.

Does a first oil change count as tuning?

In the OP two different time formats are used am/pm GMT and 24hrs CET ( with 1 hour difference between them) ,perhaps only one could be used to help avoid confusion?

Angst

chillumchilla said:
Please sign me up.

Does a first oil change count as tuning?

In the OP two different time formats are used am/pm GMT and 24hrs CET ( with 1 hour difference between them) ,perhaps only one could be used to help avoid confusion?
Done.

And I've updated the times to (to me) confusing AM/PM and GMT

ashk

Shouldn't we be using Sports Hard or whatever the default tyres are for these cars? Racing tyres seem a bit overkill on road cars, especially with no performance upgrades.

Business

ashk said:
Shouldn't we be using Sports Hard or whatever the default tyres are for these cars? Racing tyres seem a bit overkill on road cars, especially with no performance upgrades.

I agree I'd prefer sports as well.

Toxa

Allowed cars:
BMW M3 Coupe '07 very fast and stable
Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG '08 fast but awful, replace it with a lotus
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08 way too slow 2sec behind
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10 very fast but a bit unstable

Racing Hards? Don't we normally limit it to Sports tires for street cars? The Nissan Z is going to get chewed up, it's too underpowered and is hurt the most by the terrible transmission gearing on stock cars.

Angst

weekend_warrior said:
Racing Hards? Don't we normally limit it to Sports tires for street cars? The Nissan Z is going to get chewed up, it's too underpowered and is hurt the most by the terrible transmission gearing on stock cars.
Sorry, I forgot. Sports Hard it is. Will change the OP.

Niks

Just throwing this idea out there...

How about having the top 3 finishers from last race not qualify so they start last?
Yay, nay? Too gimicky?

Angst

Niks said:

How about having the top 3 finishers from last race not qualify so they start last?
Yay, nay? Too gimicky?
I like it.

Tyre selection is now Sports Hard.

Niks said:

Yay, nay? Too gimicky?

Pointless. paskowitz and Ashk will still be 1st/2nd (not in any specific order).

Niks said:

Yay, nay? Too gimicky?

Not a good idea in my experience. We've had a lot of practice races before where the fastest players start in the back and it only adds unnecessary confusion and frustration during the first lap as fast players try to overtake slow players and slow players get nervous and make mistakes. And it really wouldn't have any effect on the result either.

I liked the idea we were throwing around a while back, where the top finishers would get a weight penalty. Say +200kg for 1st, +100kg for 2nd/3rd.

ashk

The only problem I have with top 3 starting from the back is wtf am I supposed to do during quali :p I agree that in ideal circumstances those 3 will most likely end up at the front quickly, but it adds a bit of uncertainty in the form of potential damage while fighting through the field, and I guess it makes things a bit more exciting at the beginning.

I liked that one event we did where we had two races and the second was reversed grid of the first one's results. But maybe this would take too much time if we have two 45 minute races and I wouldn't really want to make races much shorter.

paskowitz said:
Believe it or not, I am ok with this.

I like it too. Maybe we could even do a 1 lap race/quali in which we finish like in the last race and we do reverse grid order or something like that... I'm not sure it can be done though :p

Doing it only for the first 3 guys leaves them at a disadvantage... against me, lol.

If we didn't use Tuning prohibited we could also use ballast, which I think would be the ideal thing to do.

Risk Breaker said:
I like it too. Maybe we could even do a 1 lap race/quali in which we finish like in the last race and we do reverse grid order or something like that... I'm not sure it can be done though :p

Doing it only for the first 3 guys leaves them at a disadvantage... against me, lol.

If we didn't use Tuning prohibited we could also use ballast, which I think would be the ideal thing to do.

Im ok with reverse grid order... GP2 had something like that, right?

Even random grid order is acceptable... But penalize 1 or 2 guys just because they are good enough...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't like the reverse grid thingie at all. I think it would only lead to more confusion on the few first corners with average drivers making more mistakes and potentially damaging other cars. I also don't see the point, after a couple of laps the fights would still be the same as always only with ashk or pasko maybe switching positions based on how much luck they had with colliding newbies and such.
Super GT's rules (ballast) would be much better but of course you'd need to allow tunining and hope everyone is honest about it ;)

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
I don't like the reverse grid thingie at all. I think it would only lead to more confusion on the few first corners with average drivers making more mistakes and potentially damaging other cars. I also don't see the point, after a couple of laps the fights would still be the same as always only with ashk or pasko maybe switching positions based on how much luck they had with colliding newbies and such.
Super GT's rules (ballast) would be much better but of course you'd need to allow tunining and hope everyone is honest about it ;)
It is possible to use ballast penalty and monitor it. We just set the minimum weight at for example M3 weight + 100 kg, then the guy with 100 kg ballast enters the track. After he has passed through requirements check in the game we lower the min weight to normal M3 weight and let everyone else enter track. Lowering the min weight won't boot the guys already on track (as long as they're not in a lighter car than the min weight). It's a bit of a pain with more than one car type though and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.
ashk said:
The only problem I have with top 3 starting from the back is wtf am I supposed to do during quali :p I agree that in ideal circumstances those 3 will most likely end up at the front quickly, but it adds a bit of uncertainty in the form of potential damage while fighting through the field, and I guess it makes things a bit more exciting at the beginning.

I liked that one event we did where we had two races and the second was reversed grid of the first one's results. But maybe this would take too much time if we have two 45 minute races and I wouldn't really want to make races much shorter.
put your car in one of the corners and watch the quali? ;)

Niks

Well its not exactly like reverse grid, since most of the grid will actually qualify, meaning the fast drivers (outside the top 3) will still pull ahead and make things harder for those top 3.

I think its worth a try.

Top Bottom