• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

What times can people get on Trial Mt? The best I've gotten was a 1:41.2 with the M3 and 1:41.8 with the Camaro. It's extremely hard to keep a smooth racing line with sport hard tires, so I''m not sure what times will be possible.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Polyphony said:
Hm, I'll hop on now! The Camaro and M5 do slide quite a bit.
M3

:p

Anyway, I take it since we don't have a way to proper set bhp (the difference between the Fairlady and the C63 is very big) the oil change "trick" gotta be premitted?

Polyphony

I just did some laps with the proper lounge settings.

Ran a 1:40 flat with the M3, and a 1:39.6 with the Camaro... but I drove consistently faster with the stabler BMW.

The Z34 doesn't have the power, but it's pretty agile. I ran the fastest first sector with it.

Kaze13

Z34 slower than the camaro?! Wtfisthisshit. Anyway. The camaro is very fun to drive and fast. However, there are a few things that worry me. Evident understeer on corner entry and sudden snap oversteer on exit is fun but not too good for consistent driving. Another thing that worries me is that tires are shredded after a couple of fast laps. What really bugs me is that abs = 0 does not work for this car. Even setting the fronts to 1 the damn tires still lock up! Wtf.

So far a measly 1.44.xxx in the M3. Do you guys use wheels?

Slippier than a curly coiffed courtesan's cunt methinks.

p.s. oil change trick permitted yes/no?

Angst

chillumchilla said:

Oil change can't be monitored so yes. Engine break-in is allowed for the same reason.

ashk

chillumchilla said:

Since there's no way to prohibit it, I'd say yes. Same with engine break-in.

I haven't done any laps yet, I'll probably start tomorrow night. Luckily the car choice is pretty easy for me :)

edit: I'm so slow :(

Dash Kappei

Only done 4 laps so far, 2 with the M3 and 2 with the F-Z, my best was 1:44:87 with the Fairlady

Lol? :-/
I can get lower with the M3 (I was doing 1:43 and something but then I made a stupid mistake not holding the wheel with both hands cause I needed to scratch my nose!) but I think I'd be more consistent with the Z34.

Edit: 300km to break-in the engine iirc?

Angst

Trial Mountain Vs Race

<IMAGINE A PIC HERE>

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1321214400z0.png

Allowed cars:
BMW M3 Coupe '07
Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG '08
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10
Tuning allowed:
  • Tuning Prohibited

Tyre Selection
Sports Hard​
Track:
Trial Mountain
Laps:
30 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (21 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Risk Breaker
  • 03 - Ashk
  • 04 - Weekend_warrior
  • 05 - l2ound
  • 06 - paskowitz
  • 07 - Niks
  • 08 - Polyphony
  • 09 - Gynoug79
  • 10 - Dash Kappe
  • 11 - Dibbz
  • 12 - Xun
  • 13 - Kaze13
  • 14 - Speedofnuts
  • 15 - asclepio_gtr
  • 16 - chillumchilla
  • R1 - Metalmurphy
  • R2 - SunhiLegend
  • R3 - gutterboy44
  • R4 - MikeDub
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Awesomeness:

Angst

MLQql.jpg

Stop playing offline - you'll only be disappointed when you go online. It's quite a big difference.

Grip levels are different, which makes the time anything but comparable.

Niks

asclepio_gtr said:
What's the difference?

Its not clear why, but cars handle differently in offline... meaning times will also be different than what you can achieve in the online lounge.

Please practice in the online lounge if you are going to post times.
:)

I posted a 1:40.8 online and was running consistent 1:41's/1:42's, but I had to pit after 6 laps. It's been really difficult trying to find a way around the track that keeps my tires out for at least 10 laps.

Dash Kappei

weekend_warrior said:
My car is ready, but I'm not so sure about it's tires.

1Eea3.jpg

JCmHj.jpg
That is awesome. DLC paint right?

I'd go with something similar to aqua chrome for the tires (don't remember the right name)

Woah, 21 spots, full grid seems possible!

Angst said:
Welcome back gutterboy! :)

I have been more lurking lately. Still playing GT5 was well, just my Sunday;s haven't had the 4pm time spot free for a while. Hoping more free time with the holidays coming up. I miss NGRL races. So much more fun than online randoms. Also loving the regulations and cars for this week. I would vote for no TC but I know with a lot of DS3 racers it makes a big difference.

l2ounD

Ran with the M3 and Z34, managing to get 39s with the M3, Z34 a second behind. With an oil change and engine break in Im guessing times should get better. Still need to try the other 2 cars.

Polyphony

Had a good practice with l2ounD; after further testing, I'll stick to the M3. Angst, can you put me on reserve and give my spot to whoever's in line to race? There are chances that I won't make it on Sunday.

Dash Kappei said:
I thought TC wasn't permitted in our races?
I asked this a few days ago and I was told No Assist besides ABS@1

I think it was permitted last race because there was a chance of rain. And dualshock + heavy rain + high power FR car = wtf

I personally didn't use it, even though I thought about using it for the start. Turned out I could do it faster without.

Dash Kappei

Is it permitted this time?

I really hope there's an open spot left coming Sunday (I'm on reserve) 'cause I know I can make it 100% for this race and it'd be a bummer if I can't get in 'cause of full grid :/

Dash Kappei said:
Is it permitted this time?

I really hope there's an open spot left coming Sunday (I'm on reserve) 'cause I know I can make it 100% for this race and it'd be a bummer if I can't get in 'cause of full grid :/

There are always open slots left. Last week only 10 people started the race. And for everyone on the reserves- don't just lurk the thread and expect that when a slot opens up you'll be notified, you have to actually show up in the lounge, or at the very least message someone at race time to find out if you can have a slot. When 21 people sign up it's pretty disappointing when only 10 show up.

Polyphony

Well apparently installing a front lip or side skirts on your car count as tuning even if those modifications don't grant the option of modifying downforce. So it would be advised to remove any of those aero packages.

Dash Kappei

I know it's crap but I've spent 15 minutes total with all 4 cars (plus I'm always slow, nothing new here); this is with the z34 and I'm sure with practice and tc on I could shave off at least 1.5 sec. This was my third online lap ever with the Fairlady, ahah. I didn't push much at all, and if the tires are there I feel I could be consistent at 42"500, then of course racing's a different matter.

Still unsure if I'm going with her or the M3.

51587c04.jpg

paskowitz

M3 for me. The camaro is too fat, the z is too slow, the c63 is too crazy... the m3 is just right. Plus I have driven the real car in real life with dct and I am comfortable with how it drives.

I still haven't practiced much, but I'll try to join the lounge soon, as usual. I guess I'll use the M3 as well because is the car I've used less between it and the Z34.

Praying I don't get any damage this time...

Oh toxa :(

Dash Kappei

Decided, I'll go with the M3. No oil trick no break-in yet, 1:42:212 on my third lap.

I have been having a problem tho:

In the span of two sessions lasting 5 minutes each I've been disconnected both times from my OWN room.
WTF? That would make me rage sooo fuuu if it happened during races, can I fix it in some way? Never happened before today.
Checked the internet data when creating the room and it still says
NAT 2 Bandwith Very High (or very large, or whatever it's called in the english translation)

Also tried on practice and even there the tires don't last me more than 9 laps, man I must be driving like shit

Top Bottom