• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Niks

Race starts in:
t1321214400z0.png

Players Participating (20 / 16):
01 - Angst
02 - Risk Breaker
03 - Ashk
04 - Weekend_warrior
05 - l2ound
06 - paskowitz
07 - Niks
08 - Polyphony
09 - Gynoug79
10 - Dash Kappei
11 - Dibbz
12 - Kaze13
13 - Speedofnuts
14 - asclepio_gtr
15 - chillumchilla
16 - Metalmurphy

R1 - SunhiLegend
R2 - gutterboy44
R3 - MikeDub
R4 - Norante

Polyphony

Polyphony said:
Angst, can you put me on reserve and give my spot to whoever's in line to race? There are chances that I won't make it on Sunday.

I think my message went unnoticed lol, but I can now confirm that I can't make it.

Give my spot to whoever, or give it to Dash since he gave me his spot two weeks ago.

Angst

Polyphony said:
I think my message went unnoticed lol, but I can now confirm that I can't make it.

Give my spot to whoever, or give it to Dash since he gave me his spot two weeks ago.
I've moved dash up, but not you down. Gutterboy or one of the other reserves will get your spot.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, I tried to be a good sport and stick with it, I've done 10 laps racing like this but I mean you can see it.
It was impossible for me. The car was handling like a tank on rollerblades already on practice, tried to go in amd out of the circuit a few times but no effect, then as soon as the race started I was seeing spaceships, after somebody dropped out (lag?) it was def better but I really had no response over my steering, felt like my car weighted 4Ton, impossible to handle.
I'm already awful so...
I always need to be there one gear lower, was slidimg all over the place and my accelleration had a momstruous input lag... Just watch when I entered the pits I was couple of secs before GHR_Gynough79 and nontheless he came out first, lol!!

Disappointing because it was awesome having a 14 grid and I have no problem coming last, but this was an excercise in frustration, it was no fun.
I dunno, the other times it was very smooth besides acelplio-br (iirc) lagging for me a bit.
Guess it goes with yesterday's disconnection problems.

Well, I doubt ayone cares about this but I wanted to let you know, I hate bailing out and I had make sure to have the evening free just to have fun with you guys, didn't even have dinner lol.

EDIT:

OH GOD SORRY I THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD SPOT TO PARK!! Such an IDIOT.
Just heard the clackson and moved it, SORRY

Dash Kappei

See.
I tried doing some laps again, and it was a lot better... Other than dropping here and there without reason.
for proof look lap 11 to 17

3 laps at 1:43 and 3 at 1:50 where I couldn't holdi it straight and it just didn't turn like massive undeesteer.. But those times are MIXED, so not 'cause of tire wear or anything, lol

I explained my PARKING FUCK UP above, please read.
That didn't have anything to do with the internet, it was just me being a friggin' IDIOT
On a positive note I don't think anybody can say I wasn't always super uber careful when being lapped.

(my posts are full of typos, I'm on ipad)

Angst

fantastic gifs Sunhi!

My race was horrible, but it was all my fault - no time for practice.

Congrats paskowitz, round and niks for the podium, that was some great driving! Round makes a really strong return to the NRL.

Niks

Great race guys.

+ 14 driver grid
+ 3 different leaders
+ people getting lapped were a class act.
- quali was messed up lol

Dibbz

Oh man those gifs. Great job sunhil.

Was a good race. Started 8th finished 8th. Had a few battles at the start but Patau came down my inside on the 3rd lap and I went wide losing a few spots. After that I just watched the M3's ahead of me pull away. Towards the end I ended up with Nab and Patau and we traded paint as well as positions a few times. After the long back straight down the left turn I hid the grass and it span my car out. To me it seemed like I hit nothing but when I span my car around the suspension and engine were damaged. I must have hit Patau as well since he pitted that lap with me.

MM overtook me whilst I was pitting but a lap or so later he went off just before the first tunnel so I got 8th.

Great pics SunhiLegend!

That was an immensely disappointing race for me. I practiced a lot this week and was running some solid and consistent lap times, nothing like the 1:37 Patriot had during practice, but 1:40/1:41's in the lesser Camaro. But I got hit early, pit on lap 5, spent the next 20 laps driving by myself, didn't see a sole besides Kash parked on the side of the track. I should have pit again on lap 20 but was stupid and thought I might be able the make it on those tires. By lap 27 I couldn't even turn and just decided to come in. Worst fucking pit strategy ever. I only got 10th place because for some reason MetalMurphy and Angst had pulled over right before the finish.

Business

Sry Dibbz for that touch. Also I apologise to Ashk as early in the race I pretty much ruined both our races.

Started on the back of the pack and was very careful. Started making up some positions behind nabs as he was doing the same. I felt I had the pace and maybe got a bit frustrated and tried too hard when I touched nabs. After touching him I stopped letting him back his position but then I realised both of us had damage so we had to pit early.

Came out the pits behind nabs again and this time I didnt really want to screw up again so was very careful. We had a nice battle until I was thinking too much of how I was gonna pass that I had a stupid crash. More damage and pits again. Came out way at the back. Made up some places again and was trailing Dibbz for a while. Ashk was behind us as he pitted. I was getting close to Dibbz and Ashk was getting close to me, as my tires were very old. Dibbz crashed fighting with Ashk and I pitted because of my old tires and he because of the damage I guess. Came out just behind MM and in front of the leaders. Then I could spectate the last 5 laps behind the leaders, I was on fresh tires so I could just stay behind.

As I crossed the line behind the leaders I assumed the race was over. But oh well it wasnt, I parked/crashed, Dibbz passed me and basically I limped for one lap to the finish line. Disastrous :)

ashk

This wasn't a good race for me in terms of results, which I have good racing driver excuses for but I won't bother typing them down since I doubt anyone cares :p But in terms of fun and excitement it was great, I had good battles with Metalmurphy, Dibbz and Patau, plus some oh shit moments by the end where dashkap was lagging around like crazy and I was pretty lucky to avoid him.

As always amazing gifs Sunhi. Epic last corner overtake for the win, wow! Looks like it was a great race up front.

Did anyone else have sound issues? After the track reset for qualy all of my tire sounds effects went away and it was very weird driving without it. I was losing so much time at the long left hander at the end of the back straight. Awful corner exit speed going up that hill. I wanted to lengthen second gear so bad!

Dibbz

SpeedOfNuts said:
Sry Dibbz for that touch. Also I apologise to Ashk as early in the race I pretty much ruined both our races.

As I crossed the line behind the leaders I assumed the race was over. But oh well it wasnt, I parked/crashed, Dibbz passed me and basically I limped for one lap to the finish line. Disastrous :)
Don't worry about the hit, there was no damage caused. I didn't realise I passed you at the end. I had Gyoung on my tail so I was push hard whilst trying to cut through the leaders as they were in auto pilot mode. Makes for a frantic ending for a backmarker but I wish there were an option to say "when leader finishes race, the next time you cross the line you finish".

Dash I luckily didn't have any problems with your parking but you are so unpredictable lol. First you parked so close the the racing line then after a while you disappeared and were in the middle of some grass before the final turn, then you were talking on the chat system. I assume someone hit into you? If not you got real lucky not to ruin someones race :p

paskowitz

SunhiLegend said:
Incredible side by side going into the last corner as thepatriots takes the victory

ibwnuLtE5cVQ2d.gif

ibd5McQCk8Q7wy.jpg

That is getting saved! Thanks for the gifs! Great race to everyone. RounD and Niks were great competitors.

I have to say, that last section was epic. I messed up going into the final sector and knew RounD would overtake me so I made sure to stay on the inside line (if you look at the replay our mirrors were touching) going into the next corner and to make to get a good drive out... because... that would put me on the inside for the final corner which is hard to take with the outside line due to the "jump".

I think RounD and I exchanged places at least 3 times. Really great racing... so much better than...
132674566-1321202741.jpg

Wow, amazing gifs there Sunhi, thanks so much :) I must second the comment of you doing an edit of this race even on gif form, it would surely look great.

About the race... yeah, I had a lot of fun. No practice at all and .8 off the pole (as usual, lately) but I finally managed to avoid getting any damage and it worked nicely.

For some reason I started in 10th or 9th position and took it easy. I was at +13 seconds in a couple of laps so I knew the victory was out of my reach, even if I could keep up their pace for most of the race. I hope I can someday race wheel to wheel with you guys ;D

That part with MM and Gutterboy (good to have you back mate) was nervwrecking, a shame that MM (damn did that Camaro oversteer) ended up crashing. But Gutter and myself kept at it until my pitstop which was sooner than expected because close racing + bad tyres = high risks :p

I managed to get a good gap on him but he slowly caught up to me while I saved my tyres until I pushed a little harder on lap 27 or 28. I also caught up with Asclepio, who I thought was third because paskowitz wasn't on my game for some reason :p and we had some tight racing until the very last corner but he kept his cool very well.

I must thank them for the clean and fair racing and also everyone I lapped because your behaviour was perfect!

weekend_warrior said:
I just watched the replay, the last few laps for MetalMurphy were hilarious.

The car was an absolute mess after that crash. I think I did one of the last laps without even going into 4th.

And then... I completely totaled the car on the 4th to last corner -.-

l2ounD

:D Awesome recap Sunhi,

From my view, It was really close for the first half;

Went back and forth with Pasko, It was really easier following someone that trying to stay in the lead especially with someone soo close behind. So mainly I just tried to stay close to Paskowitz and could see Niks creepin behind.

For the second half I saw Pasko pit on 15 and decided to try a different pit strategy.
Kept going since the times didnt seem that off. We were doing 1.41... I believe.
Checking the split-times, I figured I needed to stay at least 30 seconds ahead of 2nd.
It wasnt till lap 17/18 that I was losing that buffer time and decided to pit.

I dont know when Niks pitted but he was the first to pass me followed by Pasko. With me still in the pits.

Now with fresh tires I knew I had to get some fast solo time and hopefully the battle for 1st would slow those two down. The backmarkers actually helped with this and I got to draft some down the long straight, my fastest time was like a high 1.37 during this

And with less than 5 laps to go I caught up with the pair, Pasko was 1st followed by Niks.
I managed to get by Niks, dont know if you gave me that one :p

But now I was right on Pasko and could see a battle infront of us;
Sunhilegend said:

I saw Pasko get caught and decided to just gun it through. Didnt quite work out as I was unstable the following turns and Pasko regained 1st.

I think there was like 2 laps to go at this point, and I decided to put as much pressure as I could on Pasko. Was swapping paint on his bumper a few times, but the guy wouldnt give up his inside line.

Wasnt untill the last lap... on the uphill after the long straight that I saw an opening and tried to overtake. Couldnt quite get ahead fully and he had a good exit after the short downhill corner. Plus the bugger had the better line towards the last corner. I couldnt hold it and went wide at the exit. end game.

Super fun!

paskowitz

I had 1:37.4 something I thought. It was on the final lap. Somehow Angst's magical host powers gave him pole.

Our battle at the end was very intense. I think we were both lucky with traffic. I was hoping Niks would stay ahead of you a little longer but you got around him pretty quickly. Then I had to think how I am going to hold you off. Trial Mountain is hard because if you pass on one corner you can be over taken the next corner.

When I fudged up the 3/4th to last corner I thought I had thrown away the race, but I had really good corner exits and had the inside line. This race reminded me of the Clio race at Tsukuba, close the whole way.

If it is not too much to ask, every race needs highlight gifs!

Dash Kappei

ashk said:
This wasn't a good race for me in terms of results, which I have good racing driver excuses for but I won't bother typing them down since I doubt anyone cares :p But in terms of fun and excitement it was great, I had good battles with Metalmurphy, Dibbz and Patau, plus some oh shit moments by the end where dashkap was lagging around like crazy and I was pretty lucky to avoid him.
I was wondering.
So I was lagging eh? That was the reason my car was impossible to handle?
Does it affect the driving as well then, what I'm asking is if lag make cars handle differently besides seeing them jump all over the place, that would explain my post above.

Glad I didn't ruin the race for you, I would have felt awful about that, but I swear besides the parking fuck up I always went to the track's side whenever I had someone lapping me.

I parked for a long time after lap10, then when the situation seemed to have gotten better I started doing some laps again to prove I'm not that shit of a driver and that I could pull some honest laps :p

Decent connection = 1:43.xxx average
Lagging = 1:51.xxx + crashing/spinning at least once every two laps average

Lol

I don't understand tho, I remember the Clio race at Tsu and the Chevi at 'Ring GP D race practices were super smooth for me :(
It also still says NAT 2 Bamdwith Very High. What could be my problem?

Top Bottom