• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Angst

I think it's ok. The cars do vary in BHP / Weight quite a lot though, so I'm considering abandoning no tuning and limiting BHP/Weight instead.

As for prices: The three premiums are quite expensive (20 or 15 mill?), but the three standards are much cheaper (~4.5 mill). If you don't have the standards you need a bit of luck to find them in the OCD, but you should kick yourself for not buying at least the Chaparall 2D/J earlier.

You can win the Ford GT40 by doing the B-Spec Indy 500 race and the Jaguar by doing the A-Spec Indy 500.

magawolaz

Sign me up with the Mark IV :) Thanks Angst.

Yeah, the Ferrari/Mark/Jag are 20 million each. You can win the Jag in the 500 Indy A-spec iirc. The 2D/2J were in the OCD some weeks ago, so I doubt they'll come again anytime soon. They also cost quite a lot (12 millions?) in the UCD.

I have two GT40, one won with a level ticket and another from the 500 Indy B-spec. In the UCD you can find this car for 20 million (X_X)

Anyway you can win all these cars with birthday tickets.

Angst

Historic Racing Cars

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1321819200z0.png

Allowed cars:
Ford Mark IV Race Car '67
Ferrari 330 P4 Race Car '67
Ford GT40 Race Car '69
Jaguar XJ13 Race Car '66
Chaparral 2D Race Car '67
Chaparral 2J Race Car '70 [EDIT] No way
Tuning allowed:
  • Lounge will be limited to 610 PP
  • Ferrari 330 - no changes
  • Ford Mark IV - no changes
  • Jaguar XJ13 - Turbo Stage 3
  • Chaparral 2D - no changes

Tyre Selection
Racing Hard​
Track:
Autodromo Nazionale Monza No Chicane
Laps:
30 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (14 +4 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Speed of Nuts
  • 03 - MikeDub
  • 04 - Weekend_warrior
  • 05 - magawolaz
  • 06 - paskowitz
  • 07 - Niks
  • 08 - Dibbz
  • 09 - Risk Breaker
  • 10 - gutterboy44
  • 11 - gynoug79
  • 12 - Ashk
  • 13 - Xun
  • 14 - l2ound
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - MetalMurphy
  • R2 - SunhiLegend
  • R3 - Dash Kappei
  • R4 - Angelcurio
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Awesomeness:

League Standings:

Coming soon, stand by for transmission...

Note: I've signed up the guys that voted about the track / semi-confirmed that they would join, please post if you're not on the list.

Angst

Gynoug79 said:
please put me on the list
Done.

Hopefully I'll be able to put in some more effort with the different cars this week and based on my times I will update the OP with specific info regarding tuning for each car. My goal is to have an even field in line with the Merc SLS vs Ferrari race we did earlier. If my hunch is right that means one or more of the cars will be getting an extra BHP boost.

ashk

I have the Jag and both the Chaparral's, I hope one of them is competitive without the need for upgrades. IIRC the 2D only has 3 gears, I'm curious to see how that works out against the others :p

Angst

ashk said:
I have the Jag and both the Chaparral's, I hope one of them is competitive without the need for upgrades. IIRC the 2D only has 3 gears, I'm curious to see how that works out against the others :p
I'm pretty sure the Chaparrals are fast. Good luck with the snowmobile engine under the 2J ;)

You're signed up btw, I forgot about you :p

magawolaz

Dibbz said:
Oh man I don't have any of the cars. Can someone give me a gift ticket or something? :(
I can gift one to you. But if you want you can obtain a ticket yourself by doing a second PSN account with date of birth set on today/1967 (or the year of the car you want) and then login to get the ticket and send it to your main account. In half an hour you should get the car you want :)

Angst, just a question: no automatic transmission?

ashk said:
Yeah (4 gears if I recall correctly), but the shift to 2nd gear is at 170km/h :lol

Angst said:
I think it's ok. The cars do vary in BHP / Weight quite a lot though, so I'm considering abandoning no tuning and limiting BHP/Weight instead.

As for prices: The three premiums are quite expensive (20 or 15 mill?), but the three standards are much cheaper (~4.5 mill). If you don't have the standards you need a bit of luck to find them in the OCD, but you should kick yourself for not buying at least the Chaparall 2D/J earlier.

You can win the Ford GT40 by doing the B-Spec Indy 500 race and the Jaguar by doing the A-Spec Indy 500.

I don't see how these cars will be competitive without using PP limit. The 2J considerably outclasses everything else in terms or HP and power/weight ratio. And even between to 3 20 mil classics the Ferrari has a 20% better power/weight ratio.

magawolaz

Wow Sunhi, your gifs are really gorgeous. Great vintage effect on the last one.

(please make a version of that using the slow-motion just when the exaust spits fire :Q_ )

Angst

weekend_warrior said:
I don't see how these cars will be competitive without using PP limit. The 2J considerably outclasses everything else in terms or HP and power/weight ratio. And even between to 3 20 mil classics the Ferrari has a 20% better power/weight ratio.
Yeah, that's the way I remember it. I'll test tonight and post updated tuning regs

Angst

SunhiLegend said:
Amazing! :)

Re: cars:

Ford GT40 will NOT be available. It's too slow and I won't nerf the other cars to match it's crappiness.

I'm having a bit of trouble balancing the cars, but how about this:

Ferrari 330 - nada
Mark IV - Turbo Stage 2
Jag XJ - Turbo Stage 3

I thought I bought the Chapparals, but apparently not. In addition to the above I think we'll use a PP limit at 610.

paskowitz

The Ferrari and Ford are almost even. The Ford has better straight line performance while the Ferrari has better cornering. The XJ13 needs a HP increase in order to stay competitive. The 2J and 2D need MASSIVE HP reductions and weight gains in order to be fair. The 2J will need the most. It consistently destroys cars in the 600pp range. It will need a major detune.

I think the system where certain people enter the race and are not allowed to leave the pits to until the next set of cars are checked is the best way of handling things. What we did at Monza with the 458 and SLS basically.

Angst said:

Ford GT40 will NOT be available. It's too slow and I won't nerf the other cars to match it's crappiness.

Ferrari 330 - nada
Mark IV - Turbo Stage 2
Jag XJ - Turbo Stage 3

I thought I bought the Chapparals, but apparently not. In addition to the above I think we'll use a PP limit at 610.

I see no reason why the GT40 can't simply get a HP increase. I know its gearing and power band are all fudged up, but it kinda sucks not having it be a part of the group. The Mark IV was designed specifically to beat the 330 at Le Mans, which it does. At almost any other track it will be slower. It is such a historic car, it would be a shame to see it not be a part of the race.

Angst

paskowitz said:
The Ferrari and Ford are almost even. The Ford has better straight line performance while the Ferrari has better cornering. The XJ13 needs a HP increase in order to stay competitive. The 2J and 2D need MASSIVE HP reductions and weight gains in order to be fair. The 2J will need the most. It consistently destroys cars in the 600pp range. It will need a major detune.

I think the system where certain people enter the race and are not allowed to leave the pits to until the next set of cars are checked is the best way of handling things. What we did at Monza with the 458 and SLS basically.

I see no reason why the GT40 can't simply get a HP increase. I know its gearing and power band are all fudged up, but it kinda sucks not having it be a part of the group. The Mark IV was designed specifically to beat the 330 at Le Mans, which it does. At almost any other track it will be slower. It is such a historic car, it would be a shame to see it not be a part of the race.
The Mark IV is definitely in. Problem with the GT40 is that even with stage 3 turbo it's waaay off from the other cars. But sure, if someone wants to use it, it'll be allowed.

Ok, Mark IV and Ferrari at default tuning. Jag gets a stage 3 turbo. Chaparalls.... well. 100 kg + ?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm in, reserve spot.

I also fixed my internet! Yay. I'm so ashamed that I won't disclose what was wrong with it, but hell I'm dumb

Angst, I have some details that'll blow your mind re:lag affecting handling, straight from Polyphony's mouth...
...it wasn't the beers after all :p

Dash Kappei

You're limping together the two Chaps? The 2J is much much better than the 2D, I think it's way overpowered vs the P4 and Mark IV.

What about the Toyota Race car '70?

Edit: How come Monza is the non-chicane version?

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
You're limping together the two Chaps? The 2J is much much better than the 2D, I think it's way overpowered vs the P4 and Mark IV.

Non-chicane because we've done the chicane version lots of times and I wanted to try the no chicane. It's quite cool going 300 km/h into the first corner...

Perhaps we'll drop the 2J as it seems to be overpowered. Anyone have the stats for both cars?

Never mind, I checked them on mygranturismo.net. The 2J is out. 646 PP with 704 BHP and 821 KG? Daaaaamn!

Dash Kappei said:

HA! 800 hp @ 620kg doesn't quite match up. Nice try though. ;)

Did some practice races with paskowitz, definitely going to be a great race, the choice of Monza with no chicane was perfect. Without it the track feels much more open and fast. The 4 cars are pretty evenly matched, although the 2D is a bit of an oddball. It gets insane grip around corners, but the 3-speed transmission is a gimp, even with 1st gear shortened as much as possible it's a really slug off the line. The GT40 can't compete at all, with the stage 3 turbo it only has 451hp, which is 70 less then the Mark IV and it weighs 100kg more.

paskowitz

Turn 1 is going to be... AWESOME!!!!! It will definitely be fastest in NRL history. 180mph, if the grid is full it will be SO MUCH FUN!

magawolaz

I have never raced on this version of Monza; have a few laps yesterday, is so strange doing the long straight without braking on the chicane lol

But are we talking about the same GT40?
Looking at mygranturismo.net, seems pretty competitive if you ask me. Is similar to the Mark IV, with less torque, but has almost the same hp/kg.
Booting up GT5 to see how the car is in the game, maybe I'm wrong.
EDIT: did some laps. Yeah, the GT40 even with a stage 3 turbo is a second slower than the other cars. Now I try again adjusting downforce...

Anyway, my Mark IV is ready

magawolaz said:
But are we talking about the same GT40?
Looking at mygranturismo.net, seems pretty competitive if you ask me. Is similar to the Mark IV, with less torque, but has almost the same hp/kg.
Booting up GT5 to see how the car is in the game, maybe I'm wrong.
EDIT: did some laps. Yeah, the GT40 even with a stage 3 turbo is a second slower than the other cars. Now I try again adjusting downforce...

Yep, I checked again and apparently I de-tuned it at some point, so the numbers I posted were way off. But even with similar numbers it still falls well short of the 615PP limit Angst stated.

Angelcurio

When are you guys going to practice? i would really like to participate in the practice session since i have never participated in a race with the NRL before. Btw, put me on the Reserve list, since i don't know if i will be at home at that hour (3:00 p.m over here).

ashk

weekend_warrior said:
Yep, I checked again and apparently I de-tuned it at some point, so the numbers I posted were way off. But even with similar numbers it still falls well short of the 615PP limit Angst stated.

There's no word of a PP limit in the race OP, is this something that is yet to be announced? I just want to make sure I practice in the same conditions that the race will be, if the limits are still subject to change I'll put off practice until they're finalized.

ashk said:
There's no word of a PP limit in the race OP, is this something that is yet to be announced? I just want to make sure I practice in the same conditions that the race will be, if the limits are still subject to change I'll put off practice until they're finalized.

I was going by this:

Angst said:
Amazing! :)

Ferrari 330 - nada
Mark IV - Turbo Stage 2
Jag XJ - Turbo Stage 3

Dash Kappei

Angelcurio said:
When are you guys going to practice? i would really like to participate in the practice session since i have never participated in a race with the NRL before. Btw, put me on the Reserve list, since i don't know if i will be at home at that hour (3:00 p.m over here).
You need to send a friend request first.
Check the op.

Angst

weekend_warrior said:
What did Angst say the race would be next week, those 20mil classics? So 330 P4 vs Mark IV vs XJ13?

I think we should do a high-powered AWD race soon, Gallardo vs Audi R8 vs GT-R.
Late reply here, but we did R8 vs GT-R at Suzuka a couple of weeks ago.
ashk said:
OP has now been updated with tuning regs. See below why I've slacked off here.

Angelcurio said:
As dash said, send a friends request to GT5NRL, races are in that lounge. Same thing with practice. I'm not sure I can squeeze any practice in before Sunday (new g/f takes all my time ;P), but if someone wants to practice they usually post here beforehand and then enter the GT5NRL lounge. I've put you down as a reserve.

Top Bottom