• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Ehrm.... that's a lot of unsure participants. Postpone the race one week? I'd rather have one week off than have to do a small grid start. Thoughts?

I'm actually in the same boat. My internet has been really sketchy lately and I don't think it would hold up for the whole race. I was going to try anyway because I didn't want to miss the historic race, put if it gets postponed 1 week that would be nice.

Angst

Ok, it's official:

Historic racing cars - postponed until 27.11.2011

To anyone interested in racing today we will meet up in the lounge at the normal race start time (3 hours from now). Bring your Caterham Seven and I will bring Nordschleife with light damage.

Niks

Ill be there.
Can anyone please gift me a caterham? I dont have one.

It could be fun to do a rally car event also? Seeing as the online dealership is full of them.
:)

Angst

We can only send one gift car per day and there are currently at least two guys that don't have the Caterham, I'm sending my gift car to chillumchilla, someone please gift one to niks.

Business

I didn't have the chance to practice this week, I was ready to start now but for me it's ok if we postpone it one week . My Bob will now do the Caterham break in.

Niks

We had a Schumacher - Zonta - Hakkinen moment for a moment there in Spa, only a little slower :p Fun races all around.

For those that don't remember (for shame!!) or simply want to watch the great Mika in action again: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1335885228459513261

Yeah, glad you guys also got that.

We should consider making a full race with the caterham. Although with worn tires it could be a handful. The Nordschleife race was fun, but as its always the case here, the grid gets separated very quickly.

Hmmm, I just saw that on lap 5 of the Monza race I did 1:37.177 and Angst did 1:37.171. It seems the Jag has like 7-8 more km/h of top speed but the Ford brakes MUCH better (that or I suck braking) and corners better at high speed (first corner). Hoping next weekend race ends up being good!

Angst

Hmmm, I just saw that on lap 5 of the Monza race I did 1:37.177 and Angst did 1:37.171. It seems the Jag has like 7-8 more km/h of top speed but the Ford brakes MUCH better (that or I suck braking) and corners better at high speed (first corner). Hoping next weekend race ends up being good!
I've done 1:36.360 in the Jag and 1:36.9 in the Ford when practicing with WW last week.

Business

I was only doing 38's with the Ferrari. I saw there was no way I'd catch edgy so I only focused on keeping the distance with the guys behind. Then again I had only logged like 16kms on the car so probably 36 is possible as well.

Good fun guys thanks.

Kept spinning out in first gear with the Caterham on the Nurb on those hairpin bends. Must be more gentle.

How do people rate the Ferrari compared to the Ford and Jag?

Angst

Historic Racing Cars

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1322424000z0.png

Allowed cars:
Ford Mark IV Race Car '67
Ferrari 330 P4 Race Car '67
Ford GT40 Race Car '69
Jaguar XJ13 Race Car '66
Chaparral 2D Race Car '67
Chaparral 2J Race Car '70 [EDIT] No way
Tuning allowed:
  • Lounge will be limited to 610 PP
  • Ferrari 330 - no changes
  • Ford Mark IV - no changes
  • Jaguar XJ13 - Turbo Stage 3 Turbo Stage 2
  • Chaparral 2D - no changes

Tyre Selection
Racing Hard​
Track:
Autodromo Nazionale Monza No Chicane
Laps:
30 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (16 +4 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Speed of Nuts
  • 03 - MikeDub
  • 04 - Weekend_warrior
  • 05 - magawolaz
  • 06 - paskowitz
  • 07 - Niks
  • 08 - Dibbz
  • 09 - Risk Breaker
  • 10 - gutterboy44
  • 11 - gynoug79
  • 12 - Ashk
  • 13 - Xun
  • 14 - l2ound
  • 15 - chillumchilla
  • 16 - syn23
  • R1 - MetalMurphy
  • R2 - SunhiLegend
  • R3 - Dash Kappei
  • R4 - Angelcurio
  • R5 - Polyphony

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Awesomeness:

League Standings:

Coming soon, stand by for transmission...

I've done 1:36.360 in the Jag and 1:36.9 in the Ford when practicing with WW last week.

I didn't take notes or anything but I saw that our splits were pretty similar most of the time. I saw what happened to you on the start by the way, such terrible luck, I know what you must've felt :p

It seemed that people had trouble taking the first corner on the Ferrari, or maybe they just had low aero...

Syn23

I've taken a couple of photos of the Schumacher-Hakkinen moment. I couldn't do exactly what I wanted since even my replay was heavily affected by lag, so they turned out not that great. Anyway, here they are (1080p on click):

Speaking of lag, next time feel free to tell me if I'm compromising the quality of the race in a way that is annoying for you guys.

Angst

I didn't take notes or anything but I saw that our splits were pretty similar most of the time. I saw what happened to you on the start by the way, such terrible luck, I know what you must've felt :p

It seemed that people had trouble taking the first corner on the Ferrari, or maybe they just had low aero...
My first lap incident was actually pretty fun, having to race like a madman to get back from last place was quite exciting.

Angst

Tonight there will be an official practice session at 8.00 PM GMT:

t1322078400z0.png

If we get enough people in there we will do another 10 laps race as preparation for the big one on Sunday. If there's just a couple of us we will do shorter races, and perhaps some Kazmobile races as well :)

Angst

^If you show up at race time with aftermarket painted wheels on your Jag I might have to ban you from all future races ;)

magawolaz

Once I saw a black XJ13 and it was really beautiful.
If I'll ever have another Jag I'll probably paint it with some black paint chips.

I don't know if I can make it for tonight, I have another race :S

Angst

Only me and chillumchilla in the lounge - although I did call for the practice pretty late.

My best lap so far: 1:36.081 in the Ford Mark IV

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Only me and chillumchilla in the lounge - although I did call for the practice pretty late.

My best lap so far: 1:36.081 in the Ford Mark IV

I wish I had the Mark IV :(

My best lap was 1'36"924 with the Ferrari at lap5 on a 10 race solo online "race". Started with 1:39, then all around 1'37"3 more or less

I'm going to try and get the Jag later on today.

200 laps with the X2010 here I come...

It's not that bad... a pitstop every ~25 minutes and you'll be done in 2 hours. I stopped for 10 minutes every pitstop and the 1 hour 58 minutes went by pretty fast.

Good luck when you're lapping them though ;)

Business

Yeah I'll try to find the time for that too this weekend... this and put some laps in Monza. I wish I could practice during the week but I only have access to my PS3 during weekends.

change your acceleration button to the right stick, strap a rubber band around it and you can actually let the game race itself part time. You'll still need to be paying a little attention though.
Doing this you'll be a little slower each lap then the other cars (because you'll be grinding into the wall the whole time), so you'll still need to race normally to pick up a few laps here and there, you'll also need to pit almost twice as often as the other cars.

Top Bottom