• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Angst

Historic Racing Cars

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1321819200z0.png

Allowed cars:
Ford Mark IV Race Car '67
Ferrari 330 P4 Race Car '67
Ford GT40 Race Car '69
Jaguar XJ13 Race Car '66
Chaparral 2D Race Car '67
Chaparral 2J Race Car '70 [EDIT] No way
Tuning allowed:
  • Lounge will be limited to 610 PP
  • Ferrari 330 - no changes
  • Ford Mark IV - no changes
  • Jaguar XJ13 - Turbo Stage 3 Turbo Stage 2
  • Chaparral 2D - no changes

Tyre Selection
Racing Hard​
Track:
Autodromo Nazionale Monza No Chicane
Laps:
30 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (16 +4 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Speed of Nuts
  • 03 - MikeDub
  • 04 - Weekend_warrior
  • 05 - magawolaz
  • 06 - paskowitz
  • 07 - Niks
  • 08 - Dibbz
  • 09 - Risk Breaker
  • 10 - gutterboy44
  • 11 - gynoug79
  • 12 - Ashk
  • 13 - Xun
  • 14 - l2ound
  • 15 - chillumchilla
  • 16 - syn23
  • R1 - MetalMurphy
  • R2 - SunhiLegend
  • R3 - Dash Kappei
  • R4 - Angelcurio
  • R5 - Polyphony

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Awesomeness:

League Standings:

Coming soon, stand by for transmission...

Angst

DS3 users:
Do you guys want/need TC to be allowed? It kind of annoys me to allow it for these classic racing cars...

Angst

Risk Breaker said:
How about a Suzuki Escudo race on Monaco?

kidding?
I'd like to try a Fiat 500 (old) on Autumn Ring.

Fiat 500 vs Daihatsu Midget II? :D

Or souped up VW Sambabuses on Nordschleife. I think they can go pretty fast with full tuning allowed.

Angst

No weather on the No Chicane version. And the lounge settings are TC Allowed or TC Disallowed. Besides, having TC at anything higher than 1 would only slow you down (a lot).

Niks

DS3 user here. From my experience in the last couple of races.

Ive been greatly benefited from allowing TC. Not in the form of being faster but in the form of tire conservation.

With TC off I can manage keeping up a fast pace but only for 4-5 laps. Then my tires fall off a cliff. Since races are 20+ laps, with TC on I can manage to pit the same as everyone else.
Then again I use the face buttons to accelerate/brake so I eat tires. :/

Angst

Niks said:

Ive been greatly benefited from allowing TC. Not in the form of being faster but in the form of tire conservation.

With TC off I can manage keeping up a fast pace but only for 4-5 laps. Then my tires fall off a cliff. Since races are 20+ laps, with TC on I can manage to pit the same as everyone else.
Yeah I've seen the 1/0 acceleration and braking during replays. Turning off ABS would make for some really interesting replays :)

Niks said:

Holy shit Niks, do you use the D-turn for steering too? :lol

Angst said:
DS3 users:
Do you guys want/need TC to be allowed? It kind of annoys me to allow it for these classic racing cars...

I don't care if it's turned off, I only use traction control for the open wheel cars and the LMP's.

paskowitz

Am I the only person with a wheel that is disappointing that you cannot control other games with it? It would be so funny... but no...

paskowitz said:
Am I the only person with a wheel that is disappointing that you cannot control other games with it? It would be so funny... but no...

I broke one of my pads back when tekken 5 was released on the ps2, me and my brother play tekken to death and we couldn't wait to play against each other so we used the d-pad and buttons from one of the old racing wheels on the ps2. Man I miss the days of playing multiplayer games offline, hardly play any splitscreen or offline multiplayer games anymore.

Niks

weekend_warrior said:
Holy shit Niks, do you use the D-turn for steering too? :lol

Old-school all the way!
heh, j/k I use the analog for steering.

btw, I demand a Miata TC one make event for next week!!!!11!

+ FF
+ reasonably powered
+ insane grip
+ no tuning
+ open top

Think of the Integra race.
:)

Business

SunhiLegend said:
I broke one of my pads back when tekken 5 was released on the ps2, me and my brother play tekken to death and we couldn't wait to play against each other so we used the d-pad and buttons from one of the old racing wheels on the ps2. Man I miss the days of playing multiplayer games offline, hardly play any splitscreen or offline multiplayer games anymore.

lol
reminded me I was playing LBP2 local multiplayer a couple of weeks ago with a TE Stick...

magawolaz

Some months ago, playing LittleBigPlanet with some friends, we needed another sackboy to reach the end of a x4 level. We used a guitar-controller and we managed to finish the level dragging the sackboy around lol

Back on topic, I'm ok with no TCS. I hope not to cause any trouble around corners.

EDIT: ^ brofist

Syn23

I've made a few laps with the Ferrari, and these were the results (big mistake in lap 9).

I should note that laps were done in arcade mode since today GT keeps giving me a strange server error and I can't access online functionalities. I will obviously be slower online.

I used a pad, and no assists (except ABS at 1).
Maybe I can improve my consistency, but I think I can't make faster laps.
Since I could only do laps in arcade mode I can't say anything about tires degradation.
Am I too slow?

ashk

Syn23 said:
I've made a few laps with the Ferrari, and these were the results (big mistake in lap 9).

I should note that laps were done in arcade mode since today GT keeps giving me a strange server error and I can't access online functionalities. I will obviously be slower online.

Since I could only do laps in arcade mode I can't say anything about tires degradation.
Am I too slow?

You can turn on tyre/fuel depletion in practice mode BTW.

Angst

OP updated. Jag gets a stage 2 turbo only. The Jag is surprisingly fast even though it sounds like an old tractor.
Syn23 said:

Am I too slow?
1:38 laps should put you in the lower mid-field or so I think. My best lap is 1:37.111 in the 330, so ashk/niks/pask can probably do 1:36 laps blindfolded :p

But lap times isn't everything. Avoiding damage, being consistent and conserving tyres are really important. If you can do 1:39 laps consistently and no pit stops / 1 pit stop you could get a good finish.

EDIT - 1:36.360 in the Jag with stage 2 turbo. :/ Now it's too fast...

Syn23

ashk said:
You can turn on tyre/fuel depletion in practice mode BTW.
Unfortunately the car was "shared with friends". Now without online I can't unshare it, so I can't use it at all in GT mode. :\

I hope tomorrow all will return to be fine, so I can make some more meaningful testing.
What's the final decision on the TCS? Not allowed?

paskowitz

I actually found a perfect car combo we need to do in the future. The new WRX RM from the DLC vs 07 Mitsubishi Evo RM on a city course like Madrid. I would love to see a more touring car style race, maybe with light damage and a more open contact policy. With a full grid it would be loads of fun.

My best time is 1:36.9 online in the Mark IV. Consistent 1:38's are definitely possible. Those 2 high speed turns (turn 1 and the last turn) are really hard to nail with a controller though.

Angst said:
OP updated. Jag gets a stage 2 turbo only. The Jag is surprisingly fast even though it sounds like an old tractor.

I don't see any reason to try and limit what people do with turbos. There are going to be people who use the stage 3 turbo for whatever they choose because there's no way to prohibit it and it gives you a slight edge. You might as well just openly allow them on everything.

paskowitz said:
I actually found a perfect car combo we need to do in the future. The new WRX RM from the DLC vs 07 Mitsubishi Evo RM on a city course like Madrid. I would love to see a more touring car style race, maybe with light damage and a more open contact policy. With a full grid it would be loads of fun.

No damage, no tire wear, full on bumper car style. Could be fun. :D

paskowitz said:

Aaaand I also second this.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anybody up for some racing/practice in 15/20 minutes (or even half an hour or more if you say you're up for that)?

Also I wish we'd do some rally racing as well on NRL!

ashk

paskowitz said:

I'd love a touring car race as well, the Integra event we did was one of the most fun for me. But when I think of touring cars I think of front wheel drive (except BMWs :p), so I'd like it to be that type of car.

Syn23

Well, I was finally able to make some practice online and as I was expecting I'm a little slower.
Without TCS I could make 10 laps before the car was starting to be too hard to control, so I think I will have to do two pit stops. If the final decision is to allow it, I'll set it at 1 to reduce tires degradation.

I'm not sure I can really be competitive, but I would like to partecipate anyway, if it isn't a problem for the guys on reserve list.
I sent a friend request to the GT5NRL account a couple of days ago, still waiting to be accepted.

Angst

Syn23 said:
Well, I was finally able to make some practice online and as I was expecting I'm a little slower.
Without TCS I could make 10 laps before the car was starting to be too hard to control, so I think I will have to do two pit stops. If the final decision is to allow it, I'll set it at 1 to reduce tires degradation.

I'm not sure I can really be competitive, but I would like to partecipate anyway, if it isn't a problem for the guys on reserve list.
I sent a friend request to the GT5NRL account a couple of days ago, still waiting to be accepted.
Cool, I'll accept it tomorrow and add you to the grid.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Syn23 said:
I would like to partecipate anyway, if it isn't a problem for the guys on reserve list.
I don't see why there should be a problem or why we reserves would have a say in you participating or not.
Welcome!

Angst

Won't be able to race this week. Sorry.
Once again I won't be able to race. Have fun guys!
same here, not able to take part tonight.
I'm not 100% sure I'll be home tonight, so I might not be able to join the race.
lol, I may be in the same boat. We shall see come race time.

Ehrm.... that's a lot of unsure participants. Postpone the race one week? I'd rather have one week off than have to do a small grid start. Thoughts?

:(

Seeing how little people have posted here in the last week yeah, it might be better to postpone. I'd like to have a couple of shorters, "easier" races tonight if some people show up though.

Top Bottom