• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Angst

Ferrari vs Mercedes Event

I am lazy today :p

Everybody is welcome to join.

Race starts in:
t1316977200z0.png

Allowed car:

Ferrari 458 Italia '09
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG '10
Ferrari 458 Italia Tuning allowed (564 BHP / 1485 KG):
  • Sports Exhaust Manifold
  • Catalytic Converter: Sports
  • Sports Exhaust
  • All other non-PP enhancing items allowed (gearbox, clutch, diff etc)
  • Aero parts are not allowed
  • Weight reductions and engine upgrades are not allowed
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Tuning allowed (614 BHP / 1620 KG):
  • Sports ECU
  • Sports Intake Manifold
  • Racing Air Filter
  • Sports Exhaust Manifold
  • Catalytic Converter: Sports
  • Sports Exhaust
  • All other non-PP enhancing items allowed (gearbox, clutch, diff etc)
  • Aero parts are not allowed
  • Weight reductions and engine upgrades are not allowed

Tyre Selection
Sports Soft​
Track:
Autodromo Nazionale Monza
Laps:
TBD
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS

Players Participating (10 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Dibbz
  • 03 - Metalmurphy
  • 04 - Niks
  • 05 - Norante
  • 06 - SunhiLegend
  • 07 - Risk Breaker
  • 08 - Gynoug79
  • 09 - Mike Dub
  • 10 - pazkowitz
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -

No TC, No Automatic Gear Box

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 20.00 CET
Lounge reset - 20.55 CET
Qualifications start - 21.00 CET
Race start 21.15 CET

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Angst

I've done a bit of extensive testing with both cars (read done a few laps) and I have decided that the SLS will have access to some more upgrades than the Italia. As we already know PP doesn't mean jack shit unfortunately, but the BHP / Weight quota is a very good indicator on how fast a car is around the track. As it is now the SLS is 130 kg heavier than the Italia, so to give them equal BHP / Weight ratios I will allow the SLS to have 615 BHP. Thus they both get a ratio of 0.39 BHP / KG.

With the SLS upgraded to 615 BHP I did lap times that was on par with the Italia.

I'll post all the upgrades allowed for the SLS and the Italia later today.

Oooh, nice one :D A good change from last race.

If everything goes right I'll be there again. Undecided about the car yet, I think I like the way the SLS drives more than the 458. Maybe I'll try the Italia to improve my driving or maybe I'll do it the lazy way and use the SLS... :p

Angst

paskowitz said:
PSN is under maintenance but sign me up. PSNID: thepatriots
Done! :)

Regarding the cars - I find the SLS to be a more stable ride, but the 458 feels faster. It might be placebo due to higher revs though as my lap times are within 0.1 of the SLS.

Angst said:
Done! :)

Regarding the cars - I find the SLS to be a more stable ride, but the 458 feels faster. It might be placebo due to higher revs though as my lap times are within 0.1 of the SLS.

Say what?

:p

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Say what?

:p
It does - it's very easy to feel when the tail starts sliding and I just need to lift off slightly, correct and put my foot down again and the car seems to automatically find the right course. The 458's tail kicks like a wild horse in comparison.

It probably has to do with driving styles and the SLS just fits mine better.

Anyway, I totally love driving with non-racing tires! Makes the drive so much more interesting and feels a lot more real as well.

Not sure about Sports Soft but using racing hards the italia drives like a dream while the SLS likes to show who's in control once in a while (not you)

Dibbz

I'm with Angst. The SLS AMG is just easier to drive. You don't have to worry about putting your foot down and the back end kicking out. With the 458 the Lesmo corners are a real pain. The car is super twitchy on them and too much gas will send you spinning. I'm sure if you tweak the suspension it will be fine but the AMG's weight really does help keep the car planted to the track.

Sector one is really good for the 458. Coming off the start finish to braking for the chicane the Italia shines because it is lighter, whereas the AMG can be tricky slowing down on especially on these tyres. Sectors 2 is AMG territory for me and Sector 3 could be either of them. So far car and track selection seem really balanced. So good job on that Angst.

So far I've got 1:54.014. I could break into the 1:53's and maybe start tweaking some settings to find some more time.

Angst

Dibbz said:
I'm with Angst. The SLS AMG is just easier to drive. You don't have to worry about putting your foot down and the back end kicking out. With the 458 the Lesmo corners are a real pain. The car is super twitchy on them and too much gas will send you spinning. I'm sure if you tweak the suspension it will be fine but the AMG's weight really does help keep the car planted to the track.

Sector one is really good for the 458. Coming off the start finish to braking for the chicane the Italia shines because it is lighter, whereas the AMG can be tricky slowing down on especially on these tyres. Sectors 2 is AMG territory for me and Sector 3 could be either of them. So far car and track selection seem really balanced. So good job on that Angst.

So far I've got 1:54.014. I could break into the 1:53's and maybe start tweaking some settings to find some more time.
Yeah, that's basically my exact thoughts on the cars. My lap times have been in the 1:53 area most of the times.

I was planning on doing this a dynamic weather race, but have since changed my mind (our rain race at Le Sarthe reared it's ugly head). Race will be in the nice sun, which is a shame, because it would be awesome with the possibility of a light drizzle. Experiments have shown that rain is more of the torrential kind with centimeters of standing water everywhere.

Yeah, I'm with Angst and Dibbz as well. I also don't really like the Italia :p So I think it'll be the SLS for me in the race.

I'd be up for rain, MAYBE we could set the weather to dynamic and set the loss of grip to low because it feels like light rain more than heavy... maybe :p

I've been around 1.54 as well in the laps I've done with both cars. Seems like this one will be close :D

Dibbz

Speaking of rain I was just messing around with it on Monza. With Sports Softs it's pretty pointless racing with rain. If we can maybe change to wets then I'd be for it.

To be honest though racing in the dry is fine. I'd think there will be enough action as it is.

Niks

Angst is that 564 HP or 564 pp??

If its HP I think Im getting more than that with the allowed tuning parts?

Niks said:

Probably engine break in. Just adjust it manually

Dibbz

Niks said:

Yeah mine was at 580+ but that is just engine break in. Just adjust it with the power limiter down to 564BHP.

paskowitz

FYI, I have not received a reply from GT5NRL. With an open track the 458 is faster, with a car ahead the SLS is faster. This should make things interesting.

Edit: I just ran some tests and the sls is at least half a second quicker on a average. I would suggest a horse power reduction. the 458 is quick in the corners but lacks way too much speed on the straights. I am easily in the1:53 range with the sls and 1:54 with 458. You have to consider the torque advantage the sls has as well. Not to mention its weight gives it a sleight traction advantage out of the corners.

I do not want to cause too much trouble but I think the mp412-c would be a better car against the 458.

Edit 2: my mistake the times I said did not include suspension upgrades differential upgrades or transmission upgrades I will retest in ri post later.

I think we should do a rain race but not this week. We need to use slower cars with plenty of grip so it's actually, you know, fun to race in.

Angst

I've added you paskowitz. Sorry about the late accept, I haven't checked the GT5NRL account whole week.

No rain this week. We might do one with lower powered 4WD cars later on.

And about the cars this week - it's too late to change now so we stick with what we have. I'm sure one of the cars is marginally faster than the other, but most people's experience says that they are about even.

Angst

Please look at this (stolen from Mush and the Super GT League):

WleCSl.jpg

64JAEl.jpg

WyJlNl.jpg

QLATRl.jpg

This is in regards to the second chicane where it is possible to take the corners without slowing down. 2nd gear is what you should be in - not 6th...

Angst

All other corners and chicanes are not regulated in this way. Cutting in those corners usually kicks you in the ass anyway :p

I probably won't be able to make it. Or if I do I'll most likely leave half way.

Sunday isn't really a good day for me at this hour.

I won't make it tonight, the LYOD has reared it's head again on my 60gb. I think this may be the end of my GT5 career too, Forza 4 is out soon and I may trade in GT5 against it. Plus, I am fed up of taking this thing apart over and over again, I may just drop it in a vat of oil if I want to use it again. So if this the end for me I would like to say thanks to Angst for organizing and all the people whom I have raced with.

God I've been sucking so hard, overbraking, overcutting and spinning everywhere. I'd rather quit than cause a wreck. And I was so excited about this race :/

Sorry guys.

PS: Turned off my PS3, I don't know what I caused :(

This game hates me and I'm starting to hate it...

There I was in 2nd place, fighting awesomly with Toxa and Niks, when I go into the pits, and for some god damn reason, I leave it in 6th with people behind me, that also entered the pits, somehow leaving them way ahead of me. I didn't even fuel. What the hell.

So I race hard and as fast as I can only to not be able to pass Angst cause the freaking brakes decided to lock, even though I had ABS, and go offtrack, and then again near in lap 18 but that was my fault alone.

If you guys want to see awesome racing check out the first 10 laps in the 2 3 4th positions...

OH WAIT YOU CAN'T! Cause the god damn game decided to freeze after it ended.

ARGHHHHHHHHHH

paskowitz

GR guys. Shame about the game hanging up and no replay. I pitted on lap 13 when I went into the 1:55 range. What about you guys?

Angst

It was an awesome race! The fight with Dibbz for several laps was so good! Check out my pics:

no!!! D:

I pitted at lap 10 when my tail tires started to go. Gained two positions from that, so that worked out well. I suspect Dibbz got some handling issues on lap 11 from the lack of grip?

Congrats on the win btw! Nice debut! :)

Dibbz

lol yeah I saw you MM in the pits. I pitted right behind you in 7th I think, got my tyres on and got out in 4th. Your pit crew just had a slow day :p

Had some amazing fights with Gyn and Angst. Super clean racing for most of the race.

Dibbz said:
lol yeah I saw you MM in the pits. I pitted right behind you in 7th I think, got my tyres on and got out in 4th. Your pit crew just had a slow day :p

Had some amazing fights with Gyn and Angst. Super clean racing for most of the race.

That's the thing, how can u pit right behind me when I'm in 2nd place? oO

The game completly bugged out. It might have to do with the fact that Toxa and I pitted almost at the same time.

Angst

paskowitz said:
We can do this again? Not today... though? Next weeked?
Most definitely! I'll think of something and post it here tomorrow or tonight.

How did you guys feel about the race length? Last couple of races have been ~30 mins and this was just below 40 I think. Personally I prefer it the way we did it today, maybe 40 - 45 mins.

Metalmurphy said:
That's the thing, how can u pit right behind me when I'm in 2nd place? oO

The game completly bugged out. It might have to do with the fact that Toxa and I pitted almost at the same time.
Yeah that was really weird. I though you crashed your car or something and thus lost all those positions.

Risk Breaker said:
God I've been sucking so hard, overbraking, overcutting and spinning everywhere. I'd rather quit than cause a wreck. And I was so excited about this race :/

Sorry guys.

PS: Turned off my PS3, I don't know what I caused :(
Pretty sure it wasn't you. I got a black screen with a Gran Turismo 5 logo, like if the game was going to start an automatic replay. And that's not supposed to happen online.

paskowitz

I was wondering what happened to you MM. Sad, you were keeping up with me. I feel like I pitted way too late, if I did not have the cushion I probably would have lost.

Angst

At least I had the time to write them down:

1. paskowitz
2. Toxa
3. Niks
4. Angst
5. Metalmurphy
6. Dibbz
7. gynoug79
8. Norante

Risk Breaker DNF

I'll tell you this though, the first 10 laps where the most awesome I've ever had in GT5.

I overtook Niks and Toxian on the "Curva Parabolica", from the inside to the outside while maneuvering between them, it was BEAUTIFUL. Niks probably had the best viewing angle for that. How awesome was it Niks? xD

Can't believe I wasn't able to save that replay...

Dibbz overtook me on the pits as well, when I went in there before him :p No biggie though because it was only one position... but that hurts, MM :(

I'm sorry again for making you lose the replay or something... I was waiting on the menus for the race to end so I didn't distract with the message. Seems like I timed it wrong :/

Grrr :(

Niks

Great race.

I suck at starts, lost 3 places..lol but the fight with MM and Toxa for a solid 10 laps was great.

I was waiting for them to take each other out but it never happened. great racing. Decided to pit 1 lap after Toxa and MM, to see if I could take advantage from an empty track ahead of me... no such luck Toxa had a good 3 secs ahead of me after my pitstop.

Then slowly started to eat away the difference to Toxa, only to catch him on the last lap. Was ready to make my move at the main straight but drifted a bit through parabolica. :p

All in all great racing, didn't had to pit due to damage! I think that's a first for me! lol
such a shame about the replay..pics would have been epic.

Metalmurphy said:
I overtook Niks and Toxian on the "Curva Parabolica", from the inside to the outside while maneuvering between them, it was BEAUTIFUL. Niks probably had the best viewing angle for that. How awesome was it Niks? xD

Yeah there were a lot of those moments. Lol for me was more a race about being patient. So many chances for me to go fuck it and go banzai on you both. But I held back, most probably it would had ended in tears!

Definitively one of the best races Ive had.

Risk Breaker said:
Dibbz overtook me on the pits as well, when I went in there before him :p No biggie though because it was only one position... but that hurts, MM :(

I'm sorry again for making you lose the replay or something... I was waiting on the menus for the race to end so I didn't distract with the message. Seems like I timed it wrong :/

Grrr :(
It wasn't ur fault, we've had this happen before

paskowitz

^^^ Gets lapped, takes a swig.

Even with a low fuel tank I could not match my epic qualifying lap. I was pushing at the end, but every time I would come up way short. I only broke into 1:51 on lap 19. Otherwise I was 1:52 laps 3-8. Does anyone know my final finishing time? I would like to know what my average lap was.

Angst

paskowitz said:
^^^ Gets lapped, takes a swig.

Even with a low fuel tank I could not match my epic qualifying lap. I was pushing at the end, but every time I would come up way short. I only broke into 1:51 on lap 19. Otherwise I was 1:52 laps 3-8. Does anyone know my final finishing time? I would like to know what my average lap was.
No idea about the time, sorry. I don't think GT simulates the lowered weight due to almost empty fuel tank though?

Top Bottom