• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Dead Man

I might be getting Mondays off work, so I might be able to stay up for some races in the future, glad to see you guys are having some great races.

paskowitz

Images from the test race of the 458vsSLS event, since the GT5 took a crap and the replay was lost, derp.

Also it looks like I will not be able to make the race tomorrow.

I remember last weekend how almost everyone thought the SLS would smoke the 458... I've only been practising with the GT-R as I've never really driven it seriously.

Besides it's a sexy looking car and I wanted to try another colour... black with white rims. I took some sexy pictures yesterday, maybe I'll upload some if this heat (30ºC, 86F or more) goes away x_x

Angst

GT-R vs R8 event

Everybody is welcome to join.

Race starts in:
t1317582000z0.png

Allowed car (534 PP):

Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro ’09
Nissan GT-R SpecV ’09
Tuning allowed:
  • All non-PP enhancing items allowed (gearbox, clutch, diff etc)
  • Aero parts are not allowed
  • Weight reductions and engine upgrades are not allowed
  • UPDATED: GT-R get Sports Exhaust to reach PP 534

Tyre Selection
Sports Soft​
Track:
Suzuka Circuit
Laps:
16 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS

Players Participating (11 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Risk Breaker
  • 03 - Toxa
  • 04 - Niks
  • 05 - paskowitz
  • 06 - Dibbz
  • 07 - Ashk
  • 08 - Xun
  • 09 - magawolaz
  • 10 - gynoug79
  • 11 - Norante
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 20.00 CET
Lounge reset - 20.55 CET
Qualifications start - 21.00 CET
Race start 21.15 CET

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

ashk

Just wanted to let you guys know that I most likely won't make it tonight, as I have a deadline I have to make tomorrow and I still have some work left. So I haven't had any time to practice, I'd probably just end up being in the way of someone. Plus I've already wasted too much time this weekend watching WRC and Petit Le Mans :p

Angst

magawolaz said:
Ehm, I get more (maybe because of oil change?), is it okay?
Yeah, you'll just have to use the power limiter to meet PP requirement.

@ashk you'll probably never be in the way of anyone else... hope you can make it next week!

Niks

Congrats Edgy!

Looked like I had the fastest car on the grid,(gt5 quali got mixed up again) but after giving you chase, I lost my focus and made a mistake... Still it was fun.

Props also to Toxa on the R8, really hard to tame here in Suzuka.

Looking forward to one make next week :)

Man, best start ever for me, I did the Alonso somehow and managed NOT TO CRASH, omg!

Awesome awesome race Niks, too bad it got wrecky in the midfield and we distanced so much.

Toxa

great race, congrats edgey !

it was great until lap 3 . my only complaint was lazlow !
first at the spoon curve he went a bit large in the grass and he suddenly rejoin the track in the inside line, it could be dangerous if I wasn't careful

later when I tried to overtake dibbz at the pin he bumped on me and I bumped on dibbz which damaged both car :( and at the exit he kept pushing me like I was an obstacle he had to rid as soon as possible.this kind of behavior is unacceptable !!

had to pit early with dibbz and rethink a new strategy. I know this kind of situation and I am rather an expert in the field.
it was still fun anyway

I started the race in last place and it was very entertaining I'm very pleased with my race, I'm the only one audi on the podium today :)

overall great race guys !

magawolaz

At the end of the 5th lap I hit you, Lazlow... Sorry about that. I went slightly off the track with the rear-right wheel and the car turned in the other direction.
Great race anyway, really intense :)

About the pole-position... I started in 2nd place, and I highly doubt I did a qualifing lap THAT good, so I think there was some sort of bug... It happened in other races... I think it happens every time that one (or more) driver makes a pit stop during the qualifications.

paskowitz

Sorry I could not make it today. Next weekend I will manage my time better. If someone is super nice and wants to send me the replay you can PM me. Thanks.

magawolaz said:
At the end of the 5th lap I hit you, Lazlow... Sorry about that. I went slightly off the track with the rear-right wheel and the car turned in the other direction.
Great race anyway, really intense :)

About the pole-position... I started in 2nd place, and I highly doubt I did a qualifing lap THAT good, so I think there was some sort of bug... It happened in other races... I think it happens every time that one (or more) driver makes a pit stop during the qualifications.

No worries about that, racing incident, I got caught out trying to second guess your swerving and picked the wrong side. I was pitting anyway so no big big deal, although I did decide to run into the barrier right at the pit entrance, not so great.

Toxa said:
great race, congrats edgey !
it was great until lap 3 . my only complaint was lazlow !
first at the spoon curve he went a bit large in the grass and he suddenly rejoin the track in the inside line, it could be dangerous if I wasn't careful
later when I tried to overtake dibbz at the pin he bumped on me and I bumped on dibbz which damaged both car :( and at the exit he kept pushing me like I was an obstacle he had to rid as soon as possible.this kind of behavior is unacceptable !!
had to pit early with dibbz and rethink a new strategy. I know this kind of situation and I am rather an expert in the field.
it was still fun anyway
I started the race in last place and it was very entertaining I'm very pleased with my race, I'm the only one audi on the podium today :)
overall great race guys !

A complaint from Toxa about me? Who would have guessed that would happened?

First incident was lap 1 at the spoon, I went wide, came back on and had dibbz pass me so I don't see how it was an issue. You were a car behind so it should have been well out of your way and easy to avoid, like you did. I stuck on one side of the road and then held a racing line down to the chicane at which point you decided to dive bomb into the side of my car anyway, so we can call it even there.
I put my hands up for the hairpin though, I was too close behind you guys and when it came to braking I had nowhere to go. Coming out of it though you were out of control and were rubbing up against the side of my car, not the other way round but maybe next time I will lay out the red carpet for you just in case.
Thank God you are an 'expert in the field' though and managed to deal with these events, a lesser man would have failed.

On my replay I think I saw both your cars crashing each other like mad after the hairpin... I think damage + maybe connection issues happened :/

I have to say that Norante behaved in a very good way tonight, even if he unfortunately couldn't keep up the pace. He noticed when we were close to him fighting for the position and let us pass very kindly.

Also I think it was Gynoug that did some nice driving with the R8 in the parts I saw on the replay.

I'll post some pictures I took... tomorrow :p

Dibbz

Great race really enjoyed it. Like TOxa said thtough on lap 3 we made contact. He hit the left rear of my car at the hairpin. Luckily we only had half way to go to get to the pits but it's was tough trying to control the car with it's rear kicking out all over the place. I could see Toxa struggling ahead of me as well due to his damage.

Pitting so early I had to adapt my strategy. I was about to stay out for longer with this new rubber and ended up closing in on Toxa. I was right behind him as we entered the pits around lap 10 or 11.

After the pits we somehow managed to get caught in some traffic. From what I recall it was Angst and Gynoug. Since both me and Toxa had better tyres we were able to pass pretty easily. I started slowly closing the gap but Toxa responded. In the end I settled for 4th which is not bad considering the two stops.

I'll post pics in the next post.

Dibbz

Edgey gets a great start and leave the rest of us behind.

6205138715_c9297e6d6b_b.jpg

Angst goes off

6205138723_5e77588bb5_b.jpg

Me and Niks pushing each other hard

6205138725_7c961b09d6_b.jpg

Toxa hits me as I make the hairpin

6205138727_dd64560b92_b.jpg

After the pits I manage to get by Gyoung on the outside, great driving from him

6205138731_aeeefafe11_b.jpg

Catch Norante who does well to stay on his line letting me by

6205138737_3221c5ff03_b.jpg

I leave the pits for the 2nd time and try to beat Toxa out of there

6205674354_df2887c763_b.jpg

Toxa gets caught in traffic

6205674372_3bf6b6ed22_b.jpg

Toxa and Lazlow going at each other again

6205674378_0c6222965f_b.jpg

Gyoung and Angst show how to do clean overtakes

6205683454_32688ac5e9_b.jpg

I cross the line in 4th

6205683458_e1c134fe1d_b.jpg

Gynoug79

Thanks for the praise Riskbreaker and Dibbz makes up for the (ongoing) bad results. And thanks for the amazing pictures Dibbz !!! Didnt do enough training and didnt feel comfortable in the R8 till the last 5 laps or so...when i got closer to the limit of car. Had a great battle with Angst on the last two or so laps which i threw away by not going 100% straight into breaking zone before the hairpin...massive lift off oversteer...kitty litter !
Looking forward to next week !

Dibbz

Glad you guys like the pics.

I saw the replay Gynoung with you spinning at the hairpin right at the end of the race. Would have been tight since Angst went wide there so the last sector would have been really close between you two.

Oh and Toxa and Lazlow are like Hamilton and Massa. Always in going at each other in races. :p

Mobius 1

I just joined for the fun of it but thanks for waiting for me. I was away and barely had time to boot up the PS3. Had to jump in with the GT-R 07 bone stock, and that wasn't going anywhere but oh well.

Here are some shots from the race. I won't be joining (and sucking) for the rest of October as I'm leaving the country in a couple of days. Gonna miss SpecII :(

Race start and it was clear I was under equipped there and then.
Suzuka%252520Circuit.jpg

Angst blasting through corners.
Suzuka%252520Circuit.jpg

Edgy takes the lead as Angst pushes too hard and goes off the course.
Suzuka%252520Circuit.jpg

The Audis mounted a concerted attack and started closing on the Nissans.
Suzuka%252520Circuit.jpg

Close call
Suzuka%252520Circuit.jpg

Edgy conquers Suzuka, congrats!
Suzuka%252520Circuit.jpg

Angst

Thanks for attending everyone! I had a really good time, even though I was hung over like hell which probably contributed to my accident on the first lap. It sure makes me happy when we can get through turn 1 with standing start and not end up with 50 % of the field having to pit after the first lap.

Regarding the Massa - Hamilton rivalry: from what I've saw nothing bad or illegal happened. MikeDub did take a chance when re-joining the track, but it was not something he shouldn't have done. With things like this you only have a split second to make your decision and it's always easy to look at replays and see things differently.

I want people to race for position and bumps and accidents will happen when we do that. And there's nothing wrong with that. The alternative is to always be super cautious but then the races would be pretty boring. I'm certainly not saying we should go all destruction derby, but the racing we have now is pretty much on the spot for me.

Angst

Official results:

1. Risk Breaker - GT-R
2. Niks - GT-R
3. Toxa - R8

4. Dibbz - GT-R
5. MikeDub - GT-R
6. Angst - GT-R
7. Gynoug79 R8
8. magawolaz - GT-R
9. Norante - GT-R

Dibbz' pics
Norante's pics

As I said in the lounge, this week will be a one-make event, probably a Ford GT event. I'll have to look at the cars a bit to determine whether we go with only the premium car or if I'll allow the standard cars as well. GT40 and Gran Turismo GT is out of the question though.

Norante said:
Edgy conquers Suzuka, congrats!
*pic*

Yay! It really must've been the first and only time I've raced on Suzuka without massively screwing up... I only slipped through the grass in the two fast right handers, thankfully I managed to kinda control the car because Niks was right behind me!

BTW if you want to see a nice overtake check out the maneuver Niks did on me at around... lap 9 or 10? Clean but aggressive, really nice.

Angst

MikeDub said:
side note: We seem to be pretty capable of standing starts these days.
Yeah, I think the earlier mishaps has made people more cautious when going into turn one. Some of the dive bombs we had in the early Super GT races were hilarious/annoying. I guess somebody mistook standing starts for car bowling in Forza :p

Angst

Ford GT Le Mans Event

Everybody is welcome to join.

Race starts in:
t1318186800z0.png

Allowed car:

Ford GT '06
Tuning allowed:
  • All non-PP enhancing items allowed (gearbox, clutch, diff etc)
  • Aero parts are allowed
  • Weight reductions and engine upgrades are not allowed
  • Sports Exhaust Manifold
  • Sports Catalytic Converter
  • Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust

Tyre Selection
Sports Hard​
Track:
Circuit de la Sarthe - Change Weather/Change Time (Sun - Fixed)
Laps:
10 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS

Players Participating (11 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Metalmurphy
  • 03 - Ashk
  • 04 - Gynoug79
  • 05 - Risk Breaker
  • 06 - Dibbz
  • 07 - paskowitz
  • 08 - Niks
  • 09 - Dead Man if he doesn't destroy his alarm clock at 4 AM
  • 10 - magawolaz
  • 11 - MikeDub if his zombie PS3 allows it
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 20.00 CET
Lounge reset - 20.55 CET
Qualifications start - 21.00 CET
Race start 21.15 CET

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Angst

MikeDub said:
Can we use racing tyres, I hate sports stuff :(
Risk Breaker said:
I'm in as well.

I don't really mind using either set of tyres but how long has it been since we last used racing? :p
Yeah, it's been a while. I did do a couple of laps with SS (too much grip) and then SH which felt good. In my opinion Racing tyres are über-grippy and makes the race less exciting. But we could go RH and up the PP a bit if you guys want. I'd prefer not to do RS, but if you guys want it, you got it :)

Ah, I'm kinda against RS too, they are indeed too gripy and a little too on rails. Racing hards are nice however... so basically I agree with you, lol. Let's see what the others think.

ashk

I'm with Angst on this one, I'd only use racing tyres if we're driving racing cars. I think the last time we had racing cars was Le Mans prototypes on Nurburgring GP?

edit: just remembered, we had that great Integra race with RH tyres later on

Dibbz

Sign me up.

I say use whatever is the default for the car. If it's racing hards then so be it. I'd prefer not to use softs.

Niks

Risk Breaker said:
BTW if you want to see a nice overtake check out the maneuver Niks did on me at around... lap 9 or 10? Clean but aggressive, really nice.

watched the replay
Wow, did I make that move? cant believe I pulled it off, and for the lead no less!
:)

Angst, sign me up!

Angst

Dibbz said:
Sign me up.

I say use whatever is the default for the car. If it's racing hards then so be it. I'd prefer not to use softs.
Good idea, I'll check tonight and update the OP tonight. I think the default is either SS or SH.

Dibbz, paskowitz and Niks - you've been added.

EDIT - stock tyres for the Ford GT are SH. I say we go with that. Makes for some nice smoke clouds at the start too.

Dead Man

I will try and make it, I believe I have the Monday off. Bump me if there is a full grid though, I am far from certain I will be able to be awake at the time the race is on.

Edit: For what it's worth, my vote would be sports softs, since MR and lots of power + DS3 means oversteer galore for me! But I will run whatever people decide, no big deal, I'll just be the obstacle on the track :)

Angst

Dead Man! Long time no see :) The race time is at an atrocious local time for you guys in AU, so I didn't expect to see you. As for the tyres, I'll try to do a full stint with SH and then SS and see how it works out.

Top Bottom