• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

I think I managed to do 1.51.3 on lap 13, with the second set of tyres. I did a great quali too, don't really know how because I was fighting the car most laps.

Toxa

no money
no XP
and NO REPLAY !!!!!!!

WTF ???! :(

hot damn it was epic and FUN

I decided to join the race tardily for the fun xD, actually I thought the race had already started and I thought watching the race as a spectator.
I chose the SLS because I think it was less competitive and I do not really want to win.
no training at all, not a single lap , my only training was the qualify :p

I started the race in P4 or P5 I took a good start I was third after the first corner .
Epic Battle between MM, Niks and myself during 10 laps, I smiled during the entire race :D a lot of fun .
It was fun to keep niks behind (he never really managed to pass me) I tried to be courteous but if I was a bastard I'm sorry.

I sorry MM, I did not know, I did not understand that you tried to enter in the pits and this has certainly caused the bug. I'm really sorry :(

I was never comfortable with the car but it was better after the pit stop, I managed to get 1.51.717 not bad.

I never managed to catch up with paskowitz but I don't care it was fun , I am really satisfied

Angst

It was great having you back toxa, I wish ashk had been around as well, maybe he could have given paskowitz a run for his money?

For the next race: I'd love to do a historic race with the three premium race cars from '66 and '67, but I don't know if everyone has managed to buy them?

Ford, Jaguar and Ferrari '66 and '67 (10 million a piece?)

Maybe the Chapparals and the GT40 in the OCD would fit the bill as well? They're at least "cheap".

paskowitz

I have the GT40, P3/4, and Jaguar. The Jag can be won in A-spec. I got the Ferrari through a ticket and and I bought the Ford.

Some suggestions:
-ZR1 vs GTR Spec-V
-Viper ACR vs ZR1
-Ford GT vs LFA (this would not need much adjusting depending on the track)
-GT1 Spec cars (GTLM, Z06/ZR1rm, etc @600hp+ )
-M3 vs C63
-Maserati Gran Turismo vs Alfa Romeo 8c

IMO I would like GTvs8c or GTvsLFA.

Toxa

Angst said:
It was great having you back toxa, I wish ashk had been around as well, maybe he could have given paskowitz a run for his money?

no practice session :D and I wasn't here to win anyway but if I can I'll take a chance

Angst said:

For the next race: I'd love to do a historic race with the three premium race cars from '66 and '67, but I don't know if everyone has managed to buy them?

Ford, Jaguar and Ferrari '66 and '67 (10 million a piece?)

Maybe the Chapparals and the GT40 in the OCD would fit the bill as well? They're at least "cheap".

I have none, lol.

paskowitz suggestions are great, I think.

Dibbz

yep you're right Angst GT doesn't sim fuel weight.

When I went pits I totally forgot about you Angst. It was only as I pulled out and saw you blast ahead when I realized you had undercut me.

It will take something special to top this event Angst.

Angst

As many others have said, it was one of the most entertaining races I've been in. I wasn't close to the podium, but fighting for 5th with Dibbz for 7 or 8 laps was really exciting. We traded places back and forth and managed to do so with very little contact. I think I bumped into Dibbz once or twice and he did the same to me, but nothing that lead to any damage or loss of time. Simply brilliant. The fight for second before the pit stop looked amazing as well.

My biggest surprise was when I gained 20 seconds on Dibbz and 40 seconds on MM after their late pit stop. No idea what happened there.

This week's event - I haven't decided yet, but the suggestions above sounds interesting. Especially the Ford GT vs LFA vs Scuderia if they are evenly matched as MM suggests. I'm thinking Fuji GT as a venue.

ashk

Sounds like you guys had a great race, I'm kinda sorry I couldn't make it :( I'll try to join next week if there's not too much testing necessary :p

Angst said:
As many others have said, it was one of the most entertaining races I've been in. I wasn't close to the podium, but fighting for 5th with Dibbz for 7 or 8 laps was really exciting. We traded places back and forth and managed to do so with very little contact. I think I bumped into Dibbz once or twice and he did the same to me, but nothing that lead to any damage or loss of time. Simply brilliant. The fight for second before the pit stop looked amazing as well.

My biggest surprise was when I gained 20 seconds on Dibbz and 40 seconds on MM after their late pit stop. No idea what happened there.

This week's event - I haven't decided yet, but the suggestions above sounds interesting. Especially the Ford GT vs LFA vs Scuderia if they are evenly matched as MM suggests. I'm thinking Fuji GT as a venue.

My tests were with PP limited to 560, not sure if they are balanced with default values.

paskowitz

Assuming we can change the transmission and all other non PP affecting parts, then there is no reason they should not be even at around 560pp. The LFA and Scud will get destroyed by the GT once they both hit 5th gear.

I do not know if you only do real world tracks, but Deep Forest is under raced IMO. There is a lot of elevation change and overall makes for exciting races. But Fuji is ok... although I would recommend the GT course because the chicane on the F layout is chaos central. IMO it is worse than Monza and Nurb GP's T1.

Angst

We're not doing Deep Forest again as we did a Ford Mustang race there last week. We haven't raced on Fuji since April or something like that, but I'm partial to Nürburgring GP/F so we might do that instead. The long straight on Fuji tends to make it into a slipstream race and I'm not so fond of those (Monza is this exception for me).
paskowitz said:
Assuming we can change the transmission and all other non PP affecting parts, then there is no reason they should not be even at around 560pp. The LFA and Scud will get destroyed by the GT once they both hit 5th gear.
We don't have the best experience with neither PP nor BHP / Weight regulations. They look good on paper but as season one showed cars with similar stats might be very different. I was in the M3 CSL and it utterly destroyed cars that had the same stats. And I'm not good enough to do laps 2 seconds faster than the second fastest guy... :p So we always have to do at least some testing.

The test I did before Monza wasn't that thorough, but the decision to increase the SLS' BHP worked out good IMO.

Angst

True, we've never done that variant. I'll post cars, track and all the other info tonight.

I'm happy to see that interest for GT5 racing has increased again! :) Personally I expected F1 2011 to take a good chunk of my gaming time, but this is not the case :/

Gynoug79

We tried to organise F1(xbox) races last year and it was just horrible experience. Biggest problem on top of all the connection issues was that there was/is no integrity in the time taking in the game... which destroys any sim racing approach imo ! Might be fine for Sp but its a big no go for Mp.

Angst

GT-R vs R8 event

Everybody is welcome to join.

Race starts in:
t1317582000z0.png

Allowed car (534 PP):

Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro ’09
Nissan GT-R SpecV ’09
Tuning allowed:
  • All non-PP enhancing items allowed (gearbox, clutch, diff etc)
  • Aero parts are not allowed
  • Weight reductions and engine upgrades are not allowed
  • To be updated if needed

Tyre Selection
Sports Soft​
Track:
Suzuka Circuit
Laps:
16 (tentatively)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS

Players Participating (11 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Risk Breaker
  • 03 - Toxa
  • 04 - Niks
  • 05 - paskowitz
  • 06 - Dibbz
  • 07 - Ashk
  • 08 - Xun
  • 09 - magawolaz
  • 10 - gynoug79
  • 11 - Norante
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 20.00 CET
Lounge reset - 20.55 CET
Qualifications start - 21.00 CET
Race start 21.15 CET

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Angst

About the ideas you guys had earlier with regards to cars - I liked them and decided not to go with any of them. ;)

Ford GT coming next week?

Also: I'm thinking about doing this week's event one hour later if the majority is ok with that.
I.e. start time 20.00 GMT / 21.00 BST / 22.00 CET - huh EST

Oh, nice one. Some AWD racing to change things a little :D

I guess I'm fine with it being an hour later, specially if it helps others join us.

PS: I love/hate Suzuka.

Toxa

it looks awesome !!! If I'm in I'll skip the qualify session and I will start the race in last position, much more fun :p
Also: I'm thinking about doing this week's event one hour later if the majority is ok with that.
I.e. start time 20.00 GMT / 21.00 BST / 22.00 CET - huh EST

22.00 too late

Angst

I've added you guys.

Time is still 2100 unless changed in the OP btw. I've changed the tyre selection to Sports Soft. The GT-R will probably be allowed a sports exhaust to reach 534 PP, same PP as the Audi.

paskowitz

Did some testing with Angst...

Some advice. The GTR and R8 are going to need their gear ratios shortened. The GTR needs a little oversteer tuned into its suspension and the R8 needs a lot of understeer tuned in.

Also I hope you like tire wear because unless you drive at 70-80%, you will be pitting every 5-7 laps. This will probably make for some great undercutting.

Dibbz

Angst said:

Yep our fighting was amazing. So great. Honestly I was surprised since you were like 1 or 2 seconds quicker than me in qualy.

Gaining 20 seconds is not to shocking since you pitted before me you would have dropped behind. When I eventually pitted I came out just behind you so it was still pretty close time wise. I blew it though since I pushed to hard on new tyres and dropped back a few places.

I went back and took some pics of my SLS. I love this red colour. So hot.

6187045844_350cc381b9_b.jpg

6187045854_154db996f2_b.jpg

Oh and sign me up for the next race. :)

Toxa

I tried both cars and as I expected the GT-R is more competitive IMO :D the car is more stable at every corner.
the R8 is ok at T1 but after T1 I lose massive time.

like the previous race I'll drive the car which I see as the least competitive, starting from the last place it will be entertaining :)

magawolaz

I was talking to Angst in the other thread, I'd like to join you guys... :)
I'm fine with both R8 and GTR. I choose the one with less drivers ;)

Angst

magawolaz said:
I was talking to Angst in the other thread, I'd like to join you guys... :)
I'm fine with both R8 and GTR. I choose the one with less drivers ;)
You've been added.

@xun and you_ remember to send a friend request to GT5NRL asap. Race will be held in the lounge of said account.

@angst remember to accept the FRs.

Angst

Gynoug79 said:
Put me on the list too please !

edit: 22:00 would be too late for me as i have another race starting an hour later
We're going with the original start time. You've been added as well :)

Niks

Hopefully spec II will bring new (and old) faces into the league.
Have we ever had a full 16 player race?

Angst

You've been added Norante.

A thought: does anyone feel up for doing a real endurance race next week? I'm thinking 2 hours... or perhaps 3... :p For me personally it would be a real challenge and I think I would enjoy it.

20 laps at Nürb 24 hour? MM's wheel might start burning again, but it could be worth it.

paskowitz

Angst said:
You've been added Norante.

A thought: does anyone feel up for doing a real endurance race next week? I'm thinking 2 hours... or perhaps 3... :p For me personally it would be a real challenge and I think I would enjoy it.

20 laps at Nürb 24 hour? MM's wheel might start burning again, but it could be worth it.

If it is The Ring I am down. Set the TOD change so in 2 hours it goes through a whole 2hr cycle. I would say 600-630pp VLN cars. This could include DTM, GT-spec, touring, and RM. Maybe even do 2 classes if we get enough people. It would be a lot of work to balance it, but that matter less over an endurance race. The person that manages their tire wear and drive a consistent race is the one who will win.

Angst

I think the longest race we've done so far is 1 hour 50 minutes. We planned for a 90 minutes event at Le Sarthe but as it was raining constantly each lap took much longer than anticipated and it wasn't very fun. I think 60 % of us dropped out before the end of the race...
KuGsj.gif

But - without rain it should be enjoyable and not a pain in the ass :)

I'll gauge people's responses here and if you guys are positive we'll do it.

Niks said:
Hopefully spec II will bring new (and old) faces into the league.
Have we ever had a full 16 player race?
We had 16 people and 3 reserves for the 512 BB race at Monaco, but in the end I think we were 13-14 players on the grid.

I can´t play as long as the races are during the Nascar races.

Hopefully with SpecII, and with a new season os SuperGT, things go back to saturday as usual.

I don't know if I could make it to a 1.5 or 2 hours race, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to compete on a 3 hours one...

My personal favourite would be 1.5 or even 1 because I'm not sure I could get my GF to understand that I want to be that much time (plus practice) going around a track :p...

That race was amazing in hindsight. I would really like to do a rain race but we would need slower cars to make it any real fun.

Angst

MikeDub said:
That race was amazing in hindsight. I would really like to do a rain race but we would need slower cars to make it any real fun.
Didn't you quit at the 80 minutes mark? ;)

I had fun as well, but it was very exhausting. The 30% or more lap times increase made it soooo long. Wish we could set up a race with a time limit like the real endurance races instead of just # of laps.

DTM cars endurance + The Ring + Dynamic Weather = awesome

When racing in the rain and seeing the clouds part and it stops raining is simply amazing. That never happened last time though.

Also I think we need to enable voice chat for the longer races to help each other pull through
or psych out the others to quit

Angst said:
Didn't you quit at the 80 minutes mark? ;)

I had fun as well, but it was very exhausting. The 30% or more lap times increase made it soooo long. Wish we could set up a race with a time limit like the real endurance races instead of just # of laps.

DTM cars endurance + The Ring + Dynamic Weather = awesome

When racing in the rain and seeing the clouds part and it stops raining is simply amazing. That never happened last time though.

Also I think we need to enable voice chat for the longer races to help each other pull through
or psych out the others to quit

oh yeah, I totally bailed because I had multiple crashes a couple of laps and it got really boring lol

Angst

Yeah, I'm just messing with you. Loads of people bailed and I don't blame them. I was a wreck after the race and MM's wheel burned up... lol

Top Bottom