• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Kaze13

Lucerne%2B-%2BChapel%2BBridge

I've only bought the car, RM'd it and painted it... did a couple of laps at Fuji and sucked with the DS3, lol

I'll join late as usual, in an hour and a half or so, and I don't think I'll do too good but... :)

That was disgusting, people. Perhaps we should actually go back to heavy damage or something.

I can't believe how Patau could hit me so hard as to completely wreck my rear wheels and my engine on the turns after the chicane (FUJI). I can't believe how asclepio overtook after completely fucking up his breaking at turn 1 and then not giving a fuck and colliding with nab when he got the interior. I can't believe returning to track after that and 5 seconds later (at normal speed) getting screwed by another white car. Even on the practice race f0rk just crashed into olivur at turn 1 when he had plenty of space, then Dibbz (!) dragged me until I skid out of the track.

We're getting worse and worse not only at starts but at racing in general, jesus christ.

I'm now going to check the Tokyo replay to see who rode my car through all the frigging first corner. Aha, it was milky_magawolaz, who somehow got to 4th position at Fuji when I quit. What the hell were you thinking going at 208 km/h, full speed ahead without even touching the brakes when you're @ 100m to the first turn on cold tyres? And then f0rk goes and bam, crashes right into me for no reason at all. Lap 2 and Patau crashes Niksat 250km/h on turn 1, after he barely presses the brakes half a second before.

And no, I wasn't having lag. And the Tokyo race was acceptable, but Fuji... goddamn. It was sad watching olivur, who was being very very fast and who is always very fair and gentle getting his shit wrecked :D

Polyphony

Congratulations to ashk and Toxa for the race victories.

Tokyo was AWESOME! Fuji was... frustrating lol.

I got taken out on turn 1 in both races... it's been happening quite frequently :\ (last week as well). My bad luck is bound to end. But I'm pretty sure that whoever hit me didn't mean to. The contact probably occurred due to lag as I saw a car skip across the track covered in smoke.

On the Fuji race, I got wrecked so hard that I had all 4 wheels damage, complete with engine damage lol. I spent the rest of the race pushing hard, often too hard, and using up all my tires in the process. Sorry Kaze for the little nudge at some point, I slowed down afterwards to let you go ahead.

Tokyo on the other hand was great. It's a shame Toxa disconnected. The three car wide fight for the lead into turn 1 was crazy.

but Fuji... goddamn. It was sad watching olivur, who was being very very fast and who is always very fair and gentle getting his shit wrecked :D

LOL, stuff happens, I had fun nonetheless. As FIA stewards often say: race incident.

That was...different. I think we need to move to the longer form races and heavy damage to put more emphasis on 'preservation'. I love the fact that Toxa has 2 modes in GT5, disconnect or win.

Business

That was disgusting, people. Perhaps we should actually go back to heavy damage or something.

I can't believe how Patau could hit me so hard as to completely wreck my rear wheels and my engine on the turns after the chicane (FUJI). I can't believe how asclepio overtook after completely fucking up his breaking at turn 1 and then not giving a fuck and colliding with nab when he got the interior. I can't believe returning to track after that and 5 seconds later (at normal speed) getting screwed by another white car. Even on the practice race f0rk just crashed into olivur at turn 1 when he had plenty of space, then Dibbz (!) dragged me until I skid out of the track.

Yo Risk, this never happened on my end. I saw you were pissed off and saved the replay and recorded some videos for proof that I'll try to upload. This chicane incident in fuji just didnt happen, I actually saw you had some trouble there from like 200m and catched up, then on the second to last turn i overtook clean and on the replay you warp away.

Not so stealth edit: I dont know if it was your connection or mine but something went wrong. On the practice race in Tokyo you were warping like crazy on the straight for a while (until that 900km/h ended up hitting me :) ) and I seem to recall i wasn't the only one seeing that.

Niks

Edit: Yeah, looks like lag affected everyone and was the main culprit here.

In conclusion, some of us (myself included) were being a bit aggressive, but I think it was a result of the mixup. (at least in fuji). Nab and I were practically last after turn 2.
I reckon if there was no lag the races would have been clean-ish.

I had fun, everything was pretty clean on my end, except that wild R246 practice race where EdgyPoo was just all over the place. I spent 2 laps almost completely blind because of all the smoke he was creating. Craziest thing I've seen in GT5 by far.

BTW, I like this 2 race/light damage format, but we really need to speed things up a bit. Starting at 3pm like now lets limit quali to only long enough that each person can get 3 laps in (depending on the track), and lets cut practice/intermission to 10 minutes.

Congrats to Nab and Toxa for the wins.

Yo Risk, this never happened on my end. I saw you were pissed off and saved the replay and recorded some videos for proof that I'll try to upload. This chicane incident in fuji just didnt happen, I actually saw you had some trouble there from like 200m and catched up, then on the second to last turn i overtook clean and on the replay you warp away.

Not so stealth edit: I dont know if it was your connection or mine but something went wrong. On the practice race in Tokyo you were warping like crazy on the straight for a while (until that 900km/h ended up hitting me :) ) and I seem to recall i wasn't the only one seeing that.

That's okay then. Something was seriously wrong at Fuji either way, because all I saw at turn 1 was a pile of smoke and IDs jumping around (including yours I think). On the practice race at Tokyo lag hilarity ensued and yeah, I couldn't even start at the right time, I was seeing people at the front leaving the grid when I still had the countdown on my screen, lol. I think that had to do with me joining the lobby when it was about to start, maybe. I had no more lag problems after that and I could even race closely with Niks on Tokyo.

I understand that it was lag in this (your) case because circumstances were very weird and the result, bizarre, but there are others that unfortunately look simply dirty.

We're getting worse and worse not only at starts but at racing in general, jesus christ.

I'm now going to check the Tokyo replay to see who rode my car through all the frigging first corner. Aha, it was milky_magawolaz, who somehow got to 4th position at Fuji when I quit. What the hell were you thinking going at 208 km/h, full speed ahead without even touching the brakes when you're @ 100m to the first turn on cold tyres? And then f0rk goes and bam, crashes right into me for no reason at all. Lap 2 and Patau crashes Niksat 250km/h on turn 1, after he barely presses the brakes half a second before.

And no, I wasn't having lag. And the Tokyo race was acceptable, but Fuji... goddamn. It was sad watching olivur, who was being very very fast and who is always very fair and gentle getting his shit wrecked :D

Well... long story short, shit happens. I also got screwed by patau's lag. I also got hit by niks once when i oversteer at the last corner (not his fault)...

Again, shit happens. I'm not judging you by any means, but i guess the best you could do is to relax and have some fun!

magawolaz

[...]

Yes, I'm deeply sorry for the first turn on Tokyo, I don't know how but I completly missed the braking point. Really, I'm sorry; when I saw I was going to make a disaster I turned to the right and braked heavily trying to avoid collisions...

I'm playing with you guys since September, in the other races I never caused any trouble, I'm sorry this time it was me.

About the race on Fuji, I finished in 3rd position because:
1) I avoided ALL the accidents, especially in the first turns
2) I love the track and I was lapping at costant 1:51/52
So that was a pretty good race for me. I hit nobody in this race, check the replay.

I understand you are angry and I agree with you about bringing back heavy damages.
Again, I'm sorry for Tokyo...

By the way, there was someone lagging very hard on Tokyo... I can't remember who it was (Patau?)... During the practice race, I saw the car going down the straight like a X2010...

Dibbz

igJw2S2hO21p0.gif

Massive lag on lap 1 from Olivur on my screen

iqLhiV9qhVDiR.gif

Edgey gets a face full of lag

i0M52hPwnMbZ.gif

Got hit 2nd time on only the 2nd lap :(

ijo4tqFYtFw9Y.gif

Niks getting destroyed by Patau

Some nice racing gifs

iMgvuOmkl0YBt.gif

ieVigUDDUiZL4.gif

ashk

BTW, I like this 2 race/light damage format, but we really need to speed things up a bit. Starting at 3pm like now lets limit quali to only long enough that each person can get 3 laps in (depending on the track), and lets cut practice/intermission to 10 minutes.

Maybe we could make the second race start with a reversed grid? We could throw out the second quali completely and just have 10 minutes of practice. We did this once with the 512BB race and it turned out quite interesting, and you would really need to fight for the double win.

Regarding the second race, yes there was a major screw up at the beginning, but since most people were affected by it it didn't disperse the field too much (except the first three) and it kinda turned out to be a fun race as well. Still not a big fan of Fuji though :p

Oh and the three wide outbreaking contest into turn 1 on Tokyo was one of the best moments I had racing :) The fact that we didn't end up stumbling over each other and crashing out says a lot.

Polyphony

Woah, sorry for the lag there on Fuji turn 2, I don't remember what happened, I thought I got knocked sideways by somebody.

So that's what happened to Niks on Tokyo... lol. I remember going into turn 1 with Niks, Toxa and yourself. After the turn Niks just disappeared.

Business

igJw2S2hO21p0.gif

Massive lag on lap 1 from Olivur on my screen

iqLhiV9qhVDiR.gif

Edgey gets a face full of lag

Thanks for the gifs, I had the exact same view, in the first lap wreck i get hit by the yellow car from behind (lagging Olivur?) and on the incident Edgy complains there is no contact.

Yes, I'm deeply sorry for the first turn on Tokyo, I don't know how but I completly missed the braking point. Really, I'm sorry; when I saw I was going to make a disaster I turned to the right and braked heavily trying to avoid collisions...

I accept your apologies, no worries. You are usually pretty clean, yes, I know, but this week... it just was too much, and not only from you. Please don't do that again, I'm sure you didn't mean to :( Unfortunately I don't have the Fuji replay and I didn't mean to insult you when I said that you somehow were at 4th, I meant that with such a lag-ridden and crazy race I can't imagine how the people at the front got there.

And I try to have fun, I've done full races without a chance to do a good result because I fucked up or because someone unknowingly hit me with heavy damage in the past, but when I always brake sooner and carefully on the first turns and then someone goes and messes it up that much, it's not really fun anymore. Almost everyone was going all out at the end, all this bumping makes us angry/nervous and it's really not enjoyable anymore.

Can't watch the gifs right now because my gf is playing online and I would lag her, I'll check them out later, thanks Dibbz.

ashk

That first gif looks like a rocket launch. Everyone braking for the corner and then instead of accelerating slowly it goes WOOOOOOOOSH and I end up in the wall :p But I see I at least managed to get to 2nd place for a moment because of it!

magawolaz

I accept your apologies, no worries. You are usually pretty clean, yes, I know, but this week... it just was too much, and not only from you. Please don't do that again, I'm sure you didn't mean to :( Unfortunately I don't have the Fuji replay and I didn't mean to insult you when I said that you somehow were at 4th, I meant that with such a lag-ridden and crazy race I can't imagine how the people at the front got there.
I understand, I was surprised as well.
But avoiding all accidents + other drivers crashing each others = easy 3rd position, lol

I can assure you it won't happen again. I don't want you to quit because of my (and lag's) fault... :(

also, sorry for my english... Incident -> Accident...etc.

Toxa

well it was a cool party at least for those who were in lead.

I had planned to start both races in last position but when I saw weekend warrior rushing at full speed at the first corner at r246 during the practice race I decided to qualify for the first race :D

R246 was really tense and exciting and I'm really sorry for the collision with niks :(
the battle between nab and paskowitz helped me get closer to them, paskowitz wasn't really clean and I managed to overtake him, I was behind nab when the game went crazy and I got disconnected :D

a shame :( but it doesn't matter it was cool, congrats nab :)

for the second race I decided to qualif again. I hate fuji but strangely I was really fast.
after the practice race I was confident.
I started the race in pole position which is rare, I knew all I had to do was to keep paskowitz out of my slipstream and keep a steady pace it wasn't easy but it worked !

win for fanta racing xD

813834Fantaracing.jpg

about the crash at fuji all I get is a massive lag in my replay Dibbz

Niks

Thanks for the gifs Dibbz.

Man, such a shame I got annihilated on Tokyo..
I wanted to take part in the fight for the lead which was great. Slowly catching Dibbz with Risk inching behind was great though.

Also congrats to Magawolaz on a podium finish!
Watching the Fuji replay the race was pretty good from 4th place back. Yes, plenty of bumps here and there (Asclepio and Nab) but fun nonetheless.

Dibbz

I honestly thought it was me that hit you Niks. You can see I dive on the inside of turn 1 because I had too much speed from the slip and I do hit Toxa. I thought I might have knocked you into the wall because of this.

My race pace was not too bad at Tokyo but I just could not close the front pack in Tokyo and Fuji was a massacre. My race pace was mid to high 1.51's and I pulled a 1.50.4 at Fuji which was a surprise since I qualified on a 1.52.

I was actually surprised in the Fuji race that I could see a pack of cars towards the end. I thought the tsunami of lag would have ruined the race but there was some actual racing going on.

Polyphony

Same here, I felt like a lone wolf in back of the pack, but when I saw ashk and Niks not too far in front, I regained a bit of hope. There was some serious position swapping up there along with Mikedub and aslepio_gtr.

Now imagine if we did Fuji with Sports Hard tires, oh boy!! lol

magawolaz

Thanks for the gifs Dibbz.

Man, such a shame I got annihilated on Tokyo..
I wanted to take part in the fight for the lead which was great. Slowly catching Dibbz with Risk inching behind was great though.

Also congrats to Magawolaz on a podium finish!
Watching the Fuji replay the race was pretty good from 4th place back. Yes, plenty of bumps here and there (Asclepio and Nab) but fun nonetheless.
Thanks... but as I said, I just avoided all the crashes... I was lucky :)
Thank God for SS on Fuji...

Dibbz, those last two gifs are wonderful. Too bad the race wasn't that good...

Polyphony

Looking back at the events that transpired, it was a pretty hilarious mess on the replay.

These screenshots are based off my view of the race. I know that nobody crashed intentionally into others.

Crash report on Carmageddon

Tokyo turn 1, I get knocked into the tire wall by Patau

6536516215_51021c47c9_b.jpg

A few frames later, he warps back into his actual position behind asclepio_gtr

6536516525_8c875301f8_b.jpg

Turn 1 Fuji, Risk gets lag bumped by Patau who then comes into contact with me

6536516825_8fd6b807e6_b.jpg

Coming into turn 2, Patau appears to be in front of ashk

6536517077_e836dac91d_b.jpg

Suddenly, Patau reappears behind Dibbz and momentarily merges with the back of his car...

6536517475_490ceb6e3c_b.jpg

... And drives into me at blazing lag speeds

6536517749_6557d115f3_b.jpg

ashk and Niks go flying as I hit them both with full force

6536518019_9f2bb9e5da_b.jpg

Poor Niks

6536518685_4299a6aaa9_b.jpg

I spin among traffic while Kaze can't avoid his fate

6536518359_3315aa5203_b.jpg

Risk can't catch a break

6536519277_0b96cdfdca_b.jpg

Patau now warps into ashk who is already on the sidelines...

6536519513_d6aff02dc9_b.jpg

... Then zooms across the track lol

6536519779_61646b8f63_b.jpg

Teleports back next to Dibbz

6536519053_5cfbca4394_b.jpg

Dibbz and asclepio get caught in the mess

6536520037_3b896232a4_b.jpg

Ouch lol

6536520329_92f6f23355_b.jpg

Anyway, it sucked when it happened, but now that I look back, it's some of the funniest/craziest stuff I've seen from the game.

Business

Yeah very weird I've never experienced such lag. On my end I have the same vision as Dibbz gifs. I uploaded some videos yesterday night, so here they are:

Fuji wreck on board

http://vimeo.com/33878933

Fuji wreck external camera

http://vimeo.com/33880905

You can see I enter the turn super carefully and I give up 3rd to Nabs just for the sake of safety, then suddenly I get hit from behind and from then on I'm a passenger

I also uploaded a couple of the incident that made Edgy rage quit. As you can see it was totally clean on my end. I even came in the turn drifing to the inside to leave as much room as possible in case Edgy was still there, then I saw he was gone and next thing he was swearing at me in the chat, so I started to think at the end of the race I should save the replay.

Edgy incident on board

http://vimeo.com/33877453

Edgy incident external camera

http://vimeo.com/33879835

Great (painful) pictures Poly, that was exactly what I saw as well.

Speed/Patau, don't worry, I see that something went terribly wrong at that turn and it wasn't either of us.

ashk

Oh right, it's Christmas this week. I'd be up for some FT-86 races or general mucking about any time this week, but I don't think I'll be getting the new DLC cars.

Polyphony

Yeah very weird I've never experienced such lag. On my end I have the same vision as Dibbz gifs. I uploaded some videos yesterday night, so here they are:

Fuji wreck on board

http://vimeo.com/33878933

Fuji wreck external camera

http://vimeo.com/33880905

You can see I enter the turn super carefully and I give up 3rd to Nabs just for the sake of safety, then suddenly I get hit from behind and from then on I'm a passenger

I also uploaded a couple of the incident that made Edgy rage quit. As you can see it was totally clean on my end. I even came in the turn drifing to the inside to leave as much room as possible in case Edgy was still there, then I saw he was gone and next thing he was swearing at me in the chat, so I started to think at the end of the race I should save the replay.

Edgy incident on board

http://vimeo.com/33877453

Edgy incident external camera

http://vimeo.com/33879835

No worries Patau, it wasn't your fault, I never doubted your driving. Good race in the end, I remember being pressured by you midway through the race.

Well done Ashk and Toxian for firsts, ThePatriots for consistent seconds and from zero to hero Magawolaz!

Enjoyed Tokyo, a lonely last on Fuji ;(

Some Tokyo pics.

Lap 1 Turn 1 Magawolaz spins out, chillumchillum can't stop KERBANGG!

VVw82l.jpg

Dibbz gets the best paint job trophy

gJ5ACl.jpg

asclepio opens the window after lightin' da chalice

R8BCTl.jpg

asclepio with the posse close behind

U1rSPl.jpg

Patriots vs Ashk vs Toxian

VPGAFl.jpg

Speed of Nuts vs chillumchilla

56Iysl.jpg

Last Lap Last Turn Ashk vs Polyphony vs ThePatriots