• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Polyphony

Good races everybody. Wish I had the chance to race with you ashk. Turn 1 didn't go too well for me on Eiger, and I saw you vanish in a puff of smoke on London lol.

Niks: I'll post the results up.

Good races everybody. Wish I had the chance to race with you ashk. Turn 1 didn't go too well for me on Eiger, and I saw you vanish in a puff of smoke on London lol.

Same. I think we could've had a very nice three-way battle in there (and Niks too), it was a very very nice race. I did fastest lap with 1:00.879 but there were nice times all over the grid. I've always thought London was an awesome track, both normal and reverse, and it was even better with the 7.

And while I generally like Eiger it's really a terrible combination with a light car and hard tyres. They stood FROZEN throughout the whole race, lol. It's a nice detail that I've finally been able to see what Kaz was talking about when taking into account the track temperature. I thought that was gone in the final game, but nope, it isn't. Eiger looks much warmer than it really is :p

I also have a very dirty and bitter start with lots of bumping everywhere, crashed into a laggy version of poor Patau and went from 5th (we were all within 0.2-0.3 of a second at quali, too!) to last :/ Then I climbed my way back up until I got to Lazlow, where things got... hot. He blocked me with all his might, then after three laps I finally overtake him and I screw up before the tunnel somehow when I took the turn as carefully as possible. Then, next lap and I'm right behind him, he slows down as much as 80km/h when the usual is 93+ and I mess up avoiding him... Shitty race overall, too dirty tactics for my taste, but hey at least there was some action.

London however was pure awesome, with Niks almost catching up to me on the last turn after I almost overtake Polyphony, lol. Very clean and fair racing too, as far as I'm concerned. :)

A shame you missed it Angst, but we can always repeat it one of these days, I'm sure most of us loved it.

Polyphony

Results

Eiger Norwand Short Track - 12 Laps

Y0HYi.jpg

London - 10 Laps

J7sca.jpg

Kaze13

Question regarding the London event. Was kerb hopping allowed? I saw quite a few of it but I didn't know the ruling on is so I tried my best to stay off...which really messed me up. I normally cut those corners like crazy.

Also, ashk, damn. Seeing you in action at Eiger is intense. I didn't make any drastic mistakes but made a few little ones here and there. You, on the other hand, only made 1 teensy mistake that I saw. Great car control man. Good stuff. Mad respect.

Polyphony

Sorry if I touched anybody on Eiger. I'll have to watch the replay to see what happened, but I remember the start being incredibly hectic. It was pretty challenging to drive without being too erratic, with such a slippery car/tire combo and a controller. Awesome race nonetheless!

Question regarding the London event. Was kerb hopping allowed? I saw quite a few of it but I didn't know the ruling on is so I tried my best to stay off...which really messed me up. I normally cut those corners like crazy.

Also, ashk, damn. Seeing you in action at Eiger is intense. I didn't make any drastic mistakes but made a few little ones here and there. You, on the other hand, only made 1 teensy mistake that I saw. Great car control man. Good stuff. Mad respect.

Same rules as always I guess. As long as you have 2 wheels on the road ur good to go.

Kaze13

Same rules as always I guess. As long as you have 2 wheels on the road ur good to go.

But it's all road. lol. Anyway, I didn't practise much (30min before hopping on) so my time reflected that. Eiger I know like the back of my hand so the lack of practise didn't matter much lol

But it's all road. lol. Anyway, I didn't practise much (30min before hopping on) so my time reflected that. Eiger I know like the back of my hand so the lack of practise didn't matter much lol

You know what I mean't, the strips/curbs ain't part of the "road", and London has some pretty large strips/curbs

2scoops

I tried not to cut to much, although there was a few i know i cut pretty good. Sorry for that! And the bumps, i know i hit a few of you, it got a little tight sometimes, hope i didn't piss anyone off, my apologies!

Great job on the results Polyphony!

Polyphony

Took a few random pictures from the Eiger Nordwand race.

Welcome to Eiger Nordwand's Super 7 Weekend

6497515817_9f1340db38_b.jpg

Full grid formation

6497515501_a0e08aa103_b.jpg

Aaaand we're racing!

6497516091_54cecf06a2_b.jpg

Poly leading the pack

6497516417_c333bc40dd_b.jpg

5 cars wide down the hill

6497518727_c6a02ce832_b.jpg

ashk leads into first turn

6497516743_90cc72231b_b.jpg

Small incidents on turn 1

6497517019_6580b3d247_b.jpg

Tightly packed into turn 2

6497517469_1931747eb7_b.jpg

The rest of the pack follows closely

6497517819_301c6782f2_b.jpg

3 cars wide on the descent of turn 3

6497518121_99caf1c044_b.jpg

Dangerous S-curves

6497519293_bb70a6a6bc_b.jpg

MikeDub and weekend (I think)

6497519017_8f64d35b7b_b.jpg

SpeedOfNuts

6497518413_dd6555bb94_b.jpg

ashk in control with cold tires on the long right before the bridge

6497519593_bb09abcea3_b.jpg

Dat trackside detail

6497519911_01e0031d8f_b.jpg

6497520207_f6dcaf80fb_b.jpg

6497520455_1b29c1dfba_b.jpg

Dibbz and MikeDub going at it

6497520741_a34d532d8d_b.jpg

chillumchilla

6497521313_847da11d0a_b.jpg

Volcanux (Xun?)

6497521617_e061d9bc98_b.jpg

Risk Breaker catching up to everybody after an accident

6497521901_1b2d695fd4_b.jpg

ashk leading into lap 2 - can you believe this is a standard car?

6497521049_1caa51e7c4_b.jpg

6497522169_06fa52f4f5_b.jpg

... And that's 1 lap on Eiger Nordwand Short Track!

ashk

Thanks man :), but to be fair I did have a few moments in the first few laps when Niks was close behind, almost lost the lead once or twice. It got easier later on with less pressure, but it was still challenging and fun to drive. Tyre wear was very good so you could do fast laps the whole race.

About the kerb hoping, I wasn't really happy about how some people were taking it. I was trying to keep two wheels on the track during the start of quali. But by the end it got pretty frustrating having a 3 or 4 tenths lead after the first two sectors and then losing a whole second just in the third sector, so I started driving into them more aggressively and eventually got pole. After I got disconnected I watched a few laps to see how some people were taking them, and often they would just flat out cut the corner (ie. not even a wheel on the kerb, the whole car is in the inside of the corner).

Also, great pics :)

I cut in the first corner in the race mostly when Polyphony and I were close enough so there was enough space for both of us or when I turned in too soon and couldn't correct.

After that I personally tried to avoid them because they mess up the balance of the car, for example on the 90º right hander right before the final corner AND in the final corner, if you ride it you bounce like crazy and risk sliding against the wall. The final corner is not even meant to have you touching the kerb, I think, and I always took it slower than maybe I should have because I wasn't too fond of the left kerb and how it loves to make you slide. Now that I think about it, are there any more kerbs you can use to cut? In the first fast right hander if you cut aggressively you go flying against the wall.

It's funny because I lost time to you ashk and Polyphony on the second sector and that's why I could never pass Poly and make a gap.

About Eiger... I don't even want to watch the first lap again because I think I was bumped a little too much but I'm sure whoever did it didn't want to. However I'd like someone to watch my "battle" against Mike on laps... 9 to 12? Now I see that I was almost one second faster yet I couldn't overtake him. Could someone tell me if I'm that bad at overtaking or if he was just blocking me too much?

Excellent work with the pictures and the ranking btw :)

ashk

Yeah, some of the cutting I witnessed was the first corner. I understand why you did it and as such I don't think you gain much of an advantage, in fact it probably made things a bit easier for the both of you. Personally I don't think i would have done the same, but then again I didn't race there so who knows :)

Polyphony

I wasn't too sure about the kerb hopping myself, but I'm pretty sure I set my qualification hotlap by cutting through that sharp right turn before the final corner.

Then I spent the few last minutes of quali behind ashk watching his line, and decided not to cut during the race, which explains why my best laptime of 1:01.6.

Niks

Im guilty of kerb hopping.
I thought it was allowed for some reason, (we didn't specify if it wasn't allowed or not?)

Great pics Poly.

Edit:
Angst, what do you have planned for next week? Maybe we could do a event like the 458 vs SLS?
Maybe LFA vs F430 vs Gallardo? (dunno how they actually compare though) Or someone mentioned a STI vs EVO a while back?

magawolaz

To celebrate the Toyota 86 DLC coming within a couple of weeks, I'd say to do a one-brand race with the Toyota FT-86 Concept... But probably I'm the only one here who wants to use japanese cars :lol

Anyway, LFA and Gallardo seems pretty competitive. The Ferrari has less Hp, but maybe with a PP restriction we can use this car as well.

To celebrate the Toyota 86 DLC coming within a couple of weeks, I'd say to do a one-brand race with the Toyota FT-86 Concept... But probably I'm the only one here who wants to use japanese cars :lol

I would like that, actually. Haven't really used it much but I kinda like the car.

Angst

Anyone feel like organizing this week's event? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it on Sunday, so it might be better if someone else volunteers.

Tokyo + FT86 seems like a good idea.

Niks

NSX RM EVENT
YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo and banner!

NSX RM

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:

t1324238400z0.png

Allowed cars:
Acura NSX RM
Tuning allowed:
No Tuning
Tyre Selection
Sports Hard
Track:
Tokyo R246 (10 laps)
Fuji Speedway F (chicane v) (10 laps)
Laps:
See above
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (16 / 16):
  • 01 - Niks
  • 02 - Magawolaz
  • 03 - Risk Breaker
  • 04 - Polyphony
  • 05 - Weekend_Warrior
  • 06 - 2scoops
  • 07 - ashk
  • 08 - asclepio_gtr
  • 09 - chillumchilla
  • 10 - Kaze13
  • 11 - Dibbz
  • 12 - Toxa
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Awesomeness:

League Standings:

Coming soon, stand by for transmission... (still haven't had the time)

Great pic and analysis Polyphony thanks. I love the beginning far away shot in miniature mode showing all of us snaking down the hill(I am just a blur of pastel pink at the back).

The Caterham is a very cool tight racin' car I think and it's great to see our avatars for a change (Suzuki GSR-1100 Concept??). I loved the Eiger though easily distracted looking at cars on the other side of the valley! London had too many right angle corners for my tastes.

Unlucky for Nabi getting disconnected. he was unstoppable on Eiger! Had same great tussles at the back in both races with Xun and Magawolaz :)

Just fast forwarding through the replays quite interesting to see the variations between start positions and finish positions.

Sign me up for next Sunday please!

ashk

I remember being signed up for a race once just because I posted something unrelated. Should apply to everyone I think.

Top Bottom