• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Angst

Just a heads-up, I will have probably not be able to update the grids until sometime next week, but if you have signed up here you are in.

Polyphony

We should do a warm-up 1 lap kart race before the actual race :p

6560279469_e32e8ea2e8_b.jpg

Dibbz

It's 86 GT '12. The FT-86 was the concept car from 2009. Small issue but we don't want people joining with the wrong car.

Anyway sign me up for this one.

Kaze13

I'm in for both but can we consider the comfort softs for the race? That car on those tires s just magnificent. Tuning it to around 250hp just makes it the best car to drive in gt5 for me.

Niks

I'm in for both but can we consider the comfort softs for the race? That car on those tires s just magnificent. Tuning it to around 250hp just makes it the best car to drive in gt5 for me.

high five!
Definitively, glad Im not the only one who thinks this way. 300hp is too much, but 250 hits the sweet spot just right. Great car.

Polyphony

So I'm testing the 86 in the NRL lounge at 250 hp with comfort softs.

I took out my DFGT for the occasion, but due to my flimsy setup, I can't countersteer hard or do too many jerky movements, which forces me to drive as smoothly as I can.

But I can't seem to hold the car together at the hairpin without countersteering like crazy, I keep sliding out of the corner. A bit of tuning would help, but I'm keeping everything stock, as required for the race. Am I doing something wrong lol? Maybe I need to drive further from the curb since it's slightly banked on the inside, I don't know.

Dibbz

So I'm testing the 86 in the NRL lounge at 250 hp with comfort softs.

I took out my DFGT for the occasion, but due to my flimsy setup, I can't countersteer hard or do too many jerky movements, which forces me to drive as smoothly as I can.

But I can't seem to hold the car together at the hairpin without countersteering like crazy, I keep sliding out of the corner. A bit of tuning would help, but I'm keeping everything stock, as required for the race. Am I doing something wrong lol? Maybe I need to drive further from the curb since it's slightly banked on the inside, I don't know.

I done it yesterday with the stock settings and yep the hairpin is a killer. I found if you brake later and slow the car into the apex you get through fine. If you try and brake then turn into the apex you will spin out because of the way the track tilts.

So far I've managed a 2.19 just barely.

Kaze13

I done it yesterday with the stock settings and yep the hairpin is a killer. I found if you brake later and slow the car into the apex you get through fine. If you try and brake then turn into the apex you will spin out because of the way the track tilts.

So far I've managed a 2.19 just barely.

2:19 with comfort hards or softs? I'm guessing CS but even then I'm way off pace. Best I've managed is 2:21.xxx. This is when offline. My interwebs is bonkers right now. Don't know why it's so slow...

Angst

Sounds like a good idea. I'll update the OP eventually.

Dibbz

2:19 with comfort hards or softs? I'm guessing CS but even then I'm way off pace. Best I've managed is 2:21.xxx. This is when offline. My interwebs is bonkers right now. Don't know why it's so slow...

Wait. What is the default tyre for the 86GT? I've been using Sports Hards :(

Dibbz

Yeah. Well that and the Concept 86 but that was only for people who bought more than one copy of the October DLC because they were noobs.

Kaze13

Sports Hard is the stock tyre. Also, the stock HP is 192, so I have no idea why some people are testing with 250 when there is no tuning allowed.

I'm playing at 250hp for personal enjoyment. I'm sure Poly is doing the same. I think we both know that we will play at stock settings (tires?) come race time.

ashk

I'm playing at 250hp for personal enjoyment. I'm sure Poly is doing the same. I think we both know that we will play at stock settings (tires?) come race time.

That's OK, of course you're allowed to play however you want :) It's just that I was a bit unsure as to what regulations we would be using for the race after I saw the 250 HP mentioned.

Angst

Are we keeping it as Sports Hard or going for Comfort Softs? Angst's post above has me unsure.
We go with comfort softs, but stock BHP.

edit, actually we could go with a choice between sports hard and comfort soft if you guys think it's a good idea?

Whoa that FT-86 looks awesome.

I decided to finally look for my old capture card and recorded some footage from the Caterham race in London. I'm out of a job now :( so I'll have alot of free time on my hands, was working weekends for nothing. I'll probably make a music video later, right now I just edited the footage together like race highlights.

http://youtu.be/tIXHSOOTGI8?hd=1

I also had an idea for creating a HUD with the positions and names of the drivers on the left so its easier to follow. Maybe for the next race.

Xun

Whoa that FT-86 looks awesome.

I decided to finally look for my old capture card and recorded some footage from the Caterham race in London. I'm out of a job now :( so I'll have alot of free time on my hands, was working weekends for nothing. I'll probably make a music video later, right now I just edited the footage together like race highlights.

http://youtu.be/tIXHSOOTGI8?hd=1

I also had an idea for creating a HUD with the positions and names of the drivers on the left so its easier to follow. Maybe for the next race.
It was all about the three of us at the back of the race.

Shit was intense.

Also cool video dude, hopefully you'll get a job soon!

Hey guys, I'm still around but still can't participate. Are the races still fully uploaded so I can watch them later in GT5 a'la gutterboy's past efforts ???

Kaze13

I just practiced as well. This game...soo good. I just did laps without any HUD. It felt good but I wondered about lap times. Turned that on and did consistent laps at 2:24ish. I kept that up until lap 17 when I slowly got closer to 2:25. Funny thing is that I kept it at 2:25 until lap 27. The car felt really squirrelly after that and I wondered how many laps I've done on bald (red) tires. I turned that part of the HUD on. Then I saw it, I felt like such a n00b. The front tires were still relatively new at a little under 3/4 of the gauge! Haha. So much to learn.

Angst

6507730359_c5a2964d8a_z-638x358.jpg

YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo!

FT 86 New Year's Event

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1325275200z0.png

Allowed cars:
Toyota FT86 GT '12​
Tuning allowed:
No Tuning Allowed​
Tyre Selection
Comfort Soft
Track:
Grand Valley Speedway​
Laps:
TBD (20?)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (16 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Toxa
  • 03 - magawolaz
  • 04 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 05 - asclepio_GTR
  • 06 - weekend_warrior
  • 07 - 2scoops
  • 08 - Polyphony
  • 09 - Dibbz
  • 10 - Syn23
  • 11 - Kaze13
  • 12 - Niks
  • 13 - ashk (being vague as always about participating, but you're signed up per default :p)
  • 14 - Lion Heart
  • 15 - Norante
  • 16 - chillumchilla
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Awesomeness:

Updated participants, tyres and start time (thanks chillumchilla)

Dibbz

I just practiced as well. This game...soo good. I just did laps without any HUD. It felt good but I wondered about lap times. Turned that on and did consistent laps at 2:24ish. I kept that up until lap 17 when I slowly got closer to 2:25. Funny thing is that I kept it at 2:25 until lap 27. The car felt really squirrelly after that and I wondered how many laps I've done on bald (red) tires. I turned that part of the HUD on. Then I saw it, I felt like such a n00b. The front tires were still relatively new at a little under 3/4 of the gauge! Haha. So much to learn.

Regarding the HUD I find it best to have HUD on Display and uncheck all the boxes. This keeps on the current lap time and lap but takes everything else off.

Both races show Jan 8th start date, the 86' race is tomorrow isn't it? If so I'm out, my bros engagement is that day. (didn't know when I signed up).

Polyphony

Huh, I'm confused now. I was under the impression that the 86 event was on Jan 8 and that the SuperGT one was this Sunday. It might be the opposite, but both events are listed as Jan 8.

Angst

What, it's today?! Same time as usual I presume. Hosting practice in lounge right now!

Yep, today (I've updated the clock image). I might have messed up a bit, but I think I initially said this Friday. If Sunday the 1st is better for you guys we can move it.

t1325275200z0.png

Top Bottom