• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Angst

6SIxO.gif

YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo and Niks for this week's banner!

Super GT500 2012 Event

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1326052800z0.png

Allowed cars:
Super GT 500 (no stealth cars)
Click here for full car list (ignore the part about duplicate liveries for this race)​
Tuning allowed:
Tuning of existing parts is allowed. No extra parts, except Lexus.
Cars will be limited to 502 BHP / 1100 KG
Lexus cars will be allowed Turbo Stage 2​
Tyre Selection
Racing
Track:
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (Remember that you need to purchase the track to be able to participate!​
Laps:
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (14 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Toxa
  • 03 - asclepio_gtr
  • 04 - paskowitz
  • 05 - magawolaz
  • 06 - weekend_warrior
  • 07 - Polyphony
  • 08 - Niks
  • 09 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 10 - Ashk
  • 11 - 2scoops
  • 12 - chillumhilla
  • 13 - Kaze13
  • 14 - MikeDub
  • 15 - brunoa76
  • 16 -
  • R1 - syn23
  • R2 - Metalmurphy
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Updated:
Laps​

Angst

Thanks for the post toxa, I've updated the OP and reposted it myself as well now.

I must say that I'm really impressed by the banner Niks! It looks awesome! Going to post it in the GT5 threads as well.

I'll probably be doing some laps on Spa tonight at ~21.00 CET in the NRL lounge.

Sign me up for Sunday please.

Some pics from New Year Event.

Lap 2. 2Scoops(11th) chasing chilla loses control.

Grand%252520Valley%252520Speedway.jpg

Lap 5. Syn(8th) leading Weekend_Warrior leading chilla.

Lap 8. Weekend_Warrior(8th) overtakes Syn after straight.

Lap 11. Kaze(6th) vs SpeedofNuts(5th) vs Dibbz(4th) with Ashk far ahead on the bridge

Lap 17. chilla(9th) with good tyres finally overtakes Syn(10th) struggling on well worn tyres.

fin.

Niks

Thanks for the post toxa, I've updated the OP and reposted it myself as well now.

I must say that I'm really impressed by the banner Niks! It looks awesome! Going to post it in the GT5 threads as well.

I'll probably be doing some laps on Spa tonight at ~21.00 CET in the NRL lounge.

Thanks, it came out great.
What time is that EST?

Also, paskowits asks if Stealth models are allowed?

magawolaz

Lovely banner.

My Takata is ready

That Super GT League seems pretty awesome, any chance to organize something like that in the future?

Angst

Thanks, it came out great.
What time is that EST?

Also, paskowits asks if Stealth models are allowed?
That's in three hours:
t1325534400z0.png

Sure, why not?
I'm not sure I'll be home next sunday, so please put me in reserve list for now.

Anyway, are these the exact rules and restrictions?
Yep, pretty much. Anything mentioned in my OP that conflicts with the linked rules automatically takes precedence.

I think the Stealth cars are slightly more powerful than normal models, so I'd say no?
I'm 99.9% sure they are just reskins. (And there is only one stealth Super GT car to my knowledge, the NSX)

ashk

I don't know first hand since I don't own any, I'm just going by what I read in the OT and gtplanet.

edit: one quick google later:

787B stealth, NSX GT500 stealth and R10 TDI stealth have all more hp than their normal versions when both engines are fully broken in. Weight and downforce are the same. So again stealth is better.

GT-R GT500 has more power AND is lighter than other same class GT-R cars! Same downforce.

ashk

Not that excited about the strategy choices as I can't be bothered to fuss too much over it. But it will certainly be an interesting race if there are major differences in strategy. I have some unusual ideas, I wonder if someone will go with one for the race.

Angst, you should finalize the race length as soon as possible so people can start working it out.

Polyphony

I raced with the Super GT cars recently, and I remember going faster with the Stealth NSX than the Arta NSX. I didn't compare the specs, but I believe that gtplanet post.

Angst

so meds and soft tires are allowed ? cool the strategy will be really crucial I like it :)
Yep, all compounds allowed. I have no idea how it's going to turn out, but it should be interesting. When I was on softs and all the other racers on hards I pulled away like crazy. So much that it might actually be worth doing more pits.

If you have trouble controlling the car I recommend going with softs. If you're going to crash using hards you'll have to pit more often than the other guys anyway, so by using softs you might get a closer race.

I could do 5ish laps on softs, compared to 10ish on hards. Mediums should naturally be somewhere in between. I'd very much like to hear your thoughts on this (if you want to keep it close to the vest that's cool too).

Not that excited about the strategy choices as I can't be bothered to fuss too much over it. But it will certainly be an interesting race if there are major differences in strategy. I have some unusual ideas, I wonder if someone will go with one for the race.

Angst, you should finalize the race length as soon as possible so people can start working it out.
Length has been finalized. 20 laps.

I raced with the Super GT cars recently, and I remember going faster with the Stealth NSX than the Arta NSX. I didn't compare the specs, but I believe that gtplanet post.

Yep, stealth cars are out.

ashk

I only tested the softs once yesterday and I think I did about 4 or 5 laps on them before we started a race. By that point they were about as fast as hards at the start of the stint IIRC. So I think I could maybe pull off 8 laps on them, but I have no idea what times I'd be making by the end of the stint and if it would be worth it.

The hards could easily last 10+ laps but I don't think I did more than 5 laps on them so I don't know how the lap times after that look like.

Haven't done any running on the mediums, but if they're between the softs and hards I guess it's possible to one stop a race on them. Again, I have no idea about the times so I don't know what is fastest.

Got more testing to do :p

I tend to drive quite slow and hopefully consistent so I guess Hard Tyres would be my best option. Though if I keep crashing I could go for medium. And if I'm a complete disaster soft it is!
Therefore must practice on all the tyres methinks.
Perhaps I can outpit a naturally faster more aggressive driver?

Angst

I tend to drive quite slow and hopefully consistent so I guess Hard Tyres would be my best option. Though if I keep crashing I could go for medium. And if I'm a complete disaster soft it is!
Therefore must practice on all the tyres methinks.
Perhaps I can outpit a naturally faster more aggressive driver?

Things like this is what will (hopefully) make this race extra interesting. When I was on softs I easily outraced ashk, niks and patau. And that's not something that happens very often. Actually I didn't know that I was on another compound so I was really happy, but as my distance grew lap after lap I kinda figured out something was wrong... :p

Bear in mind that tuning is allowed, which makes for some extra tactical issues for you drivers:

You can use one setup and compound for qualification and another setup for the race. Remember that the times set doesn't reset anymore when exiting to the lounge.

I'm not sure how to take advantage of this properly, but one idea might be to do the quali on softs, lower gearing (as you won't have any slipstream to factor in) and a suspension setup that makes for faster cornering but eats tyres. Then change to a hards, higher gearing (to be able to take full advantage of slipstream) and a suspension setup that is easier on the tyres for the race.

Taking full advantage of this of course makes you run some extra risks... mistime the quali window and you will be forced to race on quali settings - or actually be left in the lounge as the race starts!

Niks

Since we are going with heavy damage, another thing to take into consideration is...

Braking spots and mid corner speeds are very different between the compounds so everyone has to be careful with traffic.

If you are on softs, the car in front might be on hards, hence he will brake earlier than you.
Be careful not to ram him from behind.

Angst

Since we are going with heavy damage, another thing to take into consideration is...

Braking spots and mid corner speeds are very different between the compounds so everyone has to be careful with traffic.

If you are on softs, the car in front might be on hards, hence he will brake earlier than you.
Be careful not to ram him from behind.

Good points. Everyone, take note! Thankfully the car on softs will brake a lot faster, but in close quarters this might be tricky.

I think we'll run with weather off (I'll set the lounge to 25 % and changeability to 0).

ashk

Yeah weather off is a good idea, it's enough trying to wrap my head around the various dry strategies :p

The difference in braking distance between hards and softs is actually smaller than I thought it would be. But there is another thing to consider: tyre wear. If you're on fresh softs catching up to someone on worn hards (as will probably be the case for people with soft tyre strategy), the differences will be much greater than they would be at the start of the race when everyone's tyres were fresh.

edit: And also, as much as the faster driver behind needs to be careful not to hit the car in front during braking, the driver in front needs to be aware of the driver behind and what he's doing so he doesn't turn in on him or cut him off.

Toxa

I think we should ban some odd tires style like racing med front and racing soft rear something like that .

it's racing hard, soft or meds nothing else

lol turlututu is with us :)

Polyphony

So we are racing on a humid track? I find that the dynamic weather Spa has harsher daytime lighting, so if it's never going to rain, we might as well use the no-weather one. But I don't mind the 25% at all, it could make things interesting!

Toxa

^ why not?
Anyways there is no way to enforce that at the moment?

because it's banned in some racing sport like F1 :p but if you disagree it's not a big deal actually I don't care xD

BTW

Cars will be limited to 502 BHP

you can only limit the bhp at 500 or 510 but not 502 so what is the real restriction ? 500 or 510 ?

ashk

I think we should ban some odd tires style like racing med front and racing soft rear something like that .

it's racing hard, soft or meds nothing else

lol turlututu is with us :)

I disagree. That was one of the unusual strategies that I wanted to see. I don't think that I'll be using it myself because it kinda ruins the balance of the car for me, but I can't say for sure what other people are thinking.

It's against the rules in F1, but in some other championships it isn't. There are many occasions where drivers go with rain tyres on the front and slicks on the back on a front-wheel drive car when the track is wet but drying.

Angst

So we are racing on a humid track? I find that the dynamic weather Spa has harsher daytime lighting, so if it's never going to rain, we might as well use the no-weather one. But I don't mind the 25% at all, it could make things interesting!
No humidity, 25% weather just means slightly overcast.

As for different tyres, knock yourself out.

BHP can only be limited at weird values, so it's 502.

Angst

I didn't notice you posted a list, I thought all SuperGT cars were allowed, except the stealth versions. I can change if it's a problem.

I remember the Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo GT-1 '00 being a no go car for either being too fast or too slow. Can't remember which.

I dug up seattle's test of all the cars and it was rather fast, but not by much and pretty hard to handle as well. I think the main reason we disallowed it was that it was a fantasy car.

ashk

Yellowhat GT-R for me with...

... Sports softs!

jk

I don't wanna give away too much of my strategy but here goes... I'm going sports soft. I'll increase my pace two times at the start and then go AFK and come back in 27 minutes. I'm expecting an easy win and 4 mil credits.

Syn23

I don't wanna give away too much of my strategy but here goes... I'm going sports soft. I'll increase my pace two times at the start and then go AFK and come back in 27 minutes. I'm expecting an easy win and 4 mil credits.
:lol

Top Bottom