• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

iamcenok

I really want to join the league and do one of these races with you guys, but I'm a little nervous about my skill level.

Will you sign me up for the Miami race? I'll put some practice in so I can race clean.

Same with me, never really raced online but I do want to start. I doubt I'd be all that great. But it'll be fun.

I'd like to sign up for the Miami race.

Niks

Did I went wide on some turns? absolutely.
Looking back maybe I was a bit hotheaded about choosing the wrong tires, and went a bit hot into eau-rouge a couple of times. Of course my intention was not to actually pass the car in front, but I guess rules are rules.

Dash I think its good you pointed those faults, after all rules should be enforced.
I guess you guys can give me a penalty for next race or something. :)

Would be nice to have a race marshall every race.
Anyways, sign me up.

ashk

I really want to join the league and do one of these races with you guys, but I'm a little nervous about my skill level.

Will you sign me up for the Miami race? I'll put some practice in so I can race clean.

Same with me, never really raced online but I do want to start. I doubt I'd be all that great. But it'll be fun.

Don't worry about skill guys, as long as you race clean everyone is welcome. Not everyone here is equally fast, so more likely than not you'll be battling someone during the race. Also, organised races like these is a great way to get better at driving (if you practice of course), so if you stick with it you'll certainly get better.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm glad that you actually understood where my heart was and what my intentions were (not throwing rocks). One classy driver as much as a classy man, way to go Niks :)

Looking forward to see you perform in the next race!

edit: lol, "were" not "where" of course :p

Angst

Welcome guys!

Remember the friend request to GT5NRL. I'll accept it sometime this week. Good luck :)
I'm glad that you actually understood where my heart was and what my intentions where (not throwing rocks). One classy driver as much as a classy man, way to go Niks :)

Looking forward to see you perform in the next race!
And you are of course welcome either watching or participating! :)

2scoops

I'm not that great myself, and i've only done a few races with everyone, but i can tell you from my experience that it's clean and honest racing and loads of fun!

iamcenok

Thanks for the welcome fellas. I'm quite excited. I tried practicing with the Ferrari, and it indeed is a bit tail happy. I wish I had bought the Lambo when I had a chance to, but I find myself enjoying keeping the ass out.

Haha It's going to be interesting grip racing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Welcome guys!

Remember the friend request to GT5NRL. I'll accept it sometime this week. Good luck :)

And you are of course welcome either watching or participating! :)

As I've said to thepatriot/paskowitz I'll be back on the 22nd (hopefully) since for the 15th I have Milan's derby to watch ^_^

paskowitz

i%2527m+back.jpg

Pics!

Angst

Welcome back paskowitz! I was afraid you got permabanned :)

I've signed you up for the race btw!

Did a few laps in the F40 - what an awesome car! Tail happy as iamcenok said, but such a fun ride. Need to test the RUF and Lambo as well. Also need to address WW's suggestion about capping the cars at 500 PP or so.

As this week's race will be slightly shorter than usual, I suggest that those that want to stick around after the race and we'll do a 2 lap Nürburgring race as well (full weather and night cycle). I'll pick one of the recommended cars for that race.

I'll be practicing in the lounge tonight at ~8.00 PM GMT. Anybody is welcome to join of course. I'll make sure to check the NRL account for new FR's before I fire up the lounge.

t1326312000z0.png

paskowitz

Welcome back paskowitz! I was afraid you got permabanned :)

I've signed you up for the race btw!

Did a few laps in the F40 - what an awesome car! Tail happy as iamcenok said, but such a fun ride. Need to test the RUF and Lambo as well. Also need to address WW's suggestion about capping the cars at 500 PP or so.

As this week's race will be slightly shorter than usual, I suggest that those that want to stick around after the race and we'll do a 2 lap Nürburgring race as well (full weather and night cycle). I'll pick one of the recommended cars for that race.

I'll be practicing in the lounge tonight at ~8.00 PM GMT. Anybody is welcome to join of course. I'll make sure to check the NRL account for new FR's before I fire up the lounge.

t1326312000z0.png

At first I thought I was to... :( It is good to be back.

Angst... Drag races on the new circuit are required for the race on the 22nd. No exceptions.

Angst

Tyre selection is now Sports Medium or less.

I think I'll not use a PP or BHP/KG limit. The RUF is fast, but eats through tyres at double the rate of the other cars. But that might just be me, I'd appreciate input.

Tyre selection is now Sports Medium or less.

I think I'll not use a PP or BHP/KG limit. The RUF is fast, but eats through tyres at double the rate of the other cars. But that might just be me, I'd appreciate input.

I did 5 laps with the RUF after you left and the front tires were still around 75%, the rears were even fresher. I think the PP speaks for itself, 543 for the RUF and 499/530 for the Lambo/ Ferrari respectively. The RUF has a near 140 HP advantage over the Lambo. The Ferrari is also +70 hp but is much harder to drive.

Angst

I guess you're right.

Limiting the cars to 500 PP is a bit much IMO, so I propose we limit them to 515PP. PP isn't exactly scientific and I think we'll have a pretty balanced field this way.

Angst

YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo

Miami Vice Supercars

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1326657600z0.png

Allowed cars:
Ferrari F40 '92
Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary '88
RUF CTR2 '96
Tuning allowed:
No tuning allowed
PP limited at 515 PP (Subject to change)​
Tyre Selection
Sports Medium
Track:
Special Stage Route 5​
Laps:
15 (TBD)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (12 / 16):
  • 01 - weekend_warrior
  • 02 - Angst
  • 03 - Dibbz
  • 04 - 2scoops
  • 05 - Kaze13
  • 06 - Arcane Hayter
  • 07 - Xun
  • 08 - iamcenox
  • 09 - Niks
  • 10 - paskowitz
  • 11 - asclepio_gtr
  • 12 - gynoug79
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Extra info:
As this week's race will be slightly shorter than usual, I suggest that those that want to stick around after the race and we'll do a 2 lap Nürburgring race as well (full weather and night cycle). I'll pick one of the recommended cars for that race.​

Updated:
Players, extra info, tyres​

Quoting myself for the 50PP crowd. Gynoug added to the grid! :)

Tuning allowed:

No tuning allowed
PP limited at 515 PP (Subject to change)

For the bolded: is everything off limits? Or are we allowed to make certain changes? I'm just wondering if this is bone stock. The PP limit is what throws me off.

Angst

Tuning allowed:

No tuning allowed
PP limited at 515 PP (Subject to change)

For the bolded: is everything off limits? Or are we allowed to make certain changes? I'm just wondering if this is bone stock. The PP limit is what throws me off.

I'll set up the lounge with the option "No Tuning Allowed". This means that you can't tinker with anything on the car - except engine limiter. If you try to enter the race with a changed brake ratio or a new LSD the game won't let you.

I'll set up the lounge with the option "No Tuning Allowed". This means that you can't tinker with anything on the car - except engine limiter. If you try to enter the race with a changed brake ratio or a new LSD the game won't let you.

Thanks for clearing that up, I've never raced online with GT5 (in case you can't tell).

I guess you're right.

Limiting the cars to 500 PP is a bit much IMO, so I propose we limit them to 515PP. PP isn't exactly scientific and I think we'll have a pretty balanced field this way.

I didn't want to limit PP because I don't think the F40 should be nerfed compared to the Lambo, yesterday Toxa called it "undrivable". The RUF has so much more HP that making a limit near the F40's 480 should be enough the level the playing field.

It's so much easier having one-make races. :p

Toxa

with sport hard the F40 was awful, it was more about drifting than driving xD with sport soft it was great

A trio of pics from last Sunday

'Snakes & Leaders'

Circuit%252520de%252520Spa-Francorchamps.jpg

"...(Ooh White Lines) Vision dreams of passion
(Blowin’ through my mind) and all the while I think of you
(High price) a very strange reaction
(For us to unwind) the more I see, the more I do
(Something like a phenomenon) Baby!
(Tellin your body to come along, but white lines blow away)
(Blow! Rock it! Blow!)" (Turlututu vs chilla)

Miky_Magawolaz vs chilla
Miky accidentally turns off the sat nav with disastrous consequences...

Irrelevant picture of my old Honda (Kaz answer my prayers!)

SCX-3200_20120114_01204701.jpg

fin.

Angst

YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo

Miami Vice Supercars

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1326657600z0.png

Allowed cars:
Ferrari F40 '92
Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary '88
RUF CTR2 '96
Tuning allowed:
No tuning allowed
PP limited at 515 PP (Subject to change)​
Tyre Selection
Sports Medium
Track:
Special Stage Route 5​
Laps:
15 (TBD)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (10 / 16):
  • 01 - weekend_warrior
  • 02 -
  • 03 - Dibbz
  • 04 - 2scoops
  • 05 - Kaze13
  • 06 - Arcane Hayter
  • 07 - Xun
  • 08 - iamcenox
  • 09 - Niks
  • 10 -
  • 11 - asclepio_gtr
  • 12 - gynoug79
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - paskowitz
  • R2 - Norante
  • R3 - seattle6418
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Extra info:
As this week's race will be slightly shorter than usual, I suggest that those that want to stick around after the race and you guys can do a short race with a car from the "recommended" list.​

Updated:
Players, extra info, tyres​

Updated.

I am sick and won't be able to race today :( Was looking forward to this one too

paskowitz

Sorry I won't be making it. I made a promise to myself that I would finish my cover letter (applying for jobs) before I do anything else.

Polyphony

D'oh! I missed the race by a minute. There was an unexpected turn of events and I was able to get in front of the TV just in time, but I had done zero practice and my cars were not tuned according to the regulations.

There's only one race?

We're at 10 laps of 15, and it's been only 15 minutes. FASJ in the lead with the fastest lap as well.

Dibbz pitted from 2nd position, but is now climbing back towards the front with fresher tires. I think he's the only one who pitted.

asclepio's front tires are destroyed but he keeps on going. And by destroyed, I mean I can barely see the blue line anymore.

ashk

Got disconnected again. And it was just starting to get interesting :(

BTW this race was a good example why I prefer one-make races. Without proper balancing you get situations like these where one car is 3 seconds faster than another. The only reason I didn't get bored was because I had to keep pushing like hell just to keep up.

Polyphony

Nooooo! We were doing 3 laps around Nordschleife with the full day/night cycle. The first lap was horrendous for me, I was playing with a controller and had zero feel for the car, overshooting every single braking point. I went in too fast on turn one so decided to fly across instead of hitting anyone's bumper. By lap 3 as night time crept in, I felt more confident and right when I caught up to MM and Dibbz, D/C...

Top Bottom