• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Dibbz

Had a good race. Had no chance of getting 1st but thought I'd pit around half way and gave up 2nd place. Fought back and finished 3rd to my surprise no one else seemed to pit. I was not going to be able to stay on the same tyres so I had to do it.

Nurb was great to and it was very tight shame the room bugged I would have liked the replay for that.

Angst

Sorry I wasn't around tonight.

For next race, do we go with dlc track and cars or should we do a slower car, Nordschleife, weather, light damage and low grip reduction? It's something I've been wanting to do for a while.

2scoops

For next race, do we go with dlc track and cars or should we do a slower car, Nordschleife, weather, light damage and low grip reduction? It's something I've been wanting to do for a while.

I like the Nordschleife idea.

Niks

shame you got DC nab, and I agree with the one-make comment. It evens the field a bit.
Anyways, I think we should do the Nordschleife.

Im going to throw some ideas for future races...

Camaro SS RM
vs
new Charger RM
(dont know how even they are)

DLC Subaru RM
vs
DLC Evo RM
(someone mentioned (I think it was Pask) they were very even)

paskowitz

I definitely vote Grun Hell. As far as cars, my first vote would be for the Aventador (new DLC car). Other than that, I would really like to do an LFA event.

f0rk

Is DLC track referring to Spa still? And which DLC cars? I should be around this weekend and only have pack 1 atm but I'll get pack 2/3 if required.

Kaze13

Had a good race even though I practised with the Lambo. I was going to use that and the F40 as a backup. With the controller, the RUF was just too wild. Braking was way too unpredictable for me even if I set the balance to low values. My timing were:

RUF 1:36
F40 1:35
Lambo 1:34

Only problem was that the Lambo had tuning that I didn't know about until practise start! Used the F40 but that problems of it's own (tire wear and a loose back end).

Race start was not a big issue. I saw the field and figured the F40's would be left to dust in the back (yup) and didn't stress it too much. The F40 on cold tires is just horrible so I didn't push at all...until I saw MM start to pull away. I made quite a few errors trying to catch up so I settled down to warm up the tires while others started passing me.

Midway through the race, I was involved with quite a battle with ascelpio and norante (I think?). Swapped spots often until our tires wore out. I kept mine in pretty good shape to last the race and I think that was the key factor in our little battle. Same with Twoscoops. I caught up to him and passed him on the closing laps. Dibbs pitted and passed me again to regain his spots. RUF! RUF! lol.

I have to mention this. Why did we choose SSR5 again? We held a race there recently did we not?

Mobius 1

Great races, I had good battles with asclepio. Sorry if I bumped into anybody too fast, the F40 was unruly using the controller, and the tires were shot after 5 laps.

Looks like everybody was lapping 1:35 with the F40 - good to know. A one-make race should be very close.

I will jump on the lounge as soon as the DLC hits to play around with the new cars and the Route X, just for fun.

Angst

ibaZChSKZZUGi2.jpg

YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo and Norante for the banner

Nürburgring langrenn

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1327262400z0.png

Allowed cars:
Volkswagen Golf IV GTI RM '01​
Tuning allowed:
Tuning of existing parts allowed
All non-PP upgrades allowed, no PP-affecting upgrades allowed.
Lounge will be limited to stock BHP / Weight​
Tyre Selection
Comfort Soft
Track:
Nürburgring Nordschleife Change Weather/Time​
Laps:
3 x 2 (as per Niks suggestion we'll do two races back-to-back, with reverse grid order for the second race)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Weather: 75%, Changeability: 6, Standing Water: 10%
Players Participating (16 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - 2scoops
  • 03 - Niks
  • 04 - paskowitz
  • 05 - f0rk
  • 06 - ashk
  • 07 - Toxa
  • 08 - Dibbz
  • 09 - MikeDub
  • 10 - Norante
  • 11 - Polyphony
  • 12 - chillumchilla
  • 13 - Kaze13
  • 14 - Arcane Hayter
  • 15 - Risk Breaker
  • 16 - iamcenok
  • R1 - Metalmurphy
  • R2 - Seattle6418
  • R3 - SpeedOfNuts
  • R4 - Gutterboy44
  • R5 -
Remember to put the number above to the left of your name on your car for easier identification in the replay​
Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Updated:
Upgrades, race format, players​

Toxa

it reminds me an uninteresting race (lmao) with the same cars (RM) on the same track. the league starts going in circles. :D

I suspect that a car will be faster than the other but I don't care.

since the tyre grip is low I'm not interested in participating in this race.
If you do not like driving in the rain then disable the rain. next time for GT6 don't ask for rain this will prevent the team to waste time developing a feature that no one uses.
these cars are 4WD it should be easy to mastered under the rain or allow TC

PS: Don't be offended ! :p

Angst

Well, I'll do some tests with worst case conditions and see how the different conditions turns out. Also: i loved the last race with the rm cars :)

ashk

We already did a Evo vs Impreza race on the Nurburgring, why the rerun?

Oh and next week we should do Daytona road course in LMPs or something.

Toxa

I like when there's different cars on the track but sometime but if the cars aren't properly balanced it can make the race uninteresting :D

I really like the R32 TC

Good Morning folks, was on my trip back to work and just now got acess to the Internet.

What a fun couple of races last night.

Reminds me of just how good the game can be when played with good people. My last ventures on public lobbies have been just a bunch of wrong car, wrong rules, empty room, bad players kind of thing.

Really tough to get a good race on those lobbies. God we need matchmaking.

Back to the race, it was really good. I tested the cars on saturday and i thought the F40 was crap. However, the Countach is just as fast as the RUF, the only difference is the RUF was a lot more stable, so that´s why i picked.

First race was good, the tires held up nice for the 15 laps. I noticed Dibbz was losing some time before he pitted, i figured his tires were a bit destroyed, so after he pitted i kind of took more care of them.

Second race was a lot more eventful, there was a sequence where i missjudged a braking zone, hit Dibbz, waited for him to rejoin, then Metalmurphy passes us and thinks we had strong damage on...

It was a good 30 seconds of mayhem there.

When it was dark i couldn´t see shit, and i just watched the lead reduce to almost nothing. One more lap and things would be very interesting.

----------------------

BTW, where are the pics?

About this week´s race, i think i´ll be home, so put me in for one of the reserve spots. I´ll try to buy a PSN card to buy the DLC this week too, so i should have the Lambo and stuff.

I don´t think we´ve done Deep Forest yet, would be a good pick for the future. If we´re going green hell, then a different car would be nice. I heard the Jag in this DLC is a good one :)

Dibbz

I agree with Toxa. Put the grip to real or else!!! :p

One thing I would suggest is please please please for the love of god do not choose a fast car for this race. A slow car like the Mazda MX5 TC or maybe one of the new VW's would be ideal imo.

Seriously though put the grip to real, low is no fun, it's like driving in GT4. If rain is such a big problem then practice in it. If anyone joins this race then complains about the rain knowing full well that it is going to rain they have no one to blame but themselves.

paskowitz

Real grip is a must for The Ring. The whole point of the track is that it is death if you go off track, even the slightest. Golf RM sounds good. If the grid ends up being large, large cars (Camaro, Challenger, etc) are a pain on The Ring. If we want to do one make the Golf RM is fine, although fully upgraded it is at its most entertaining. If you want to do multi make racing I would add in the RSX RM and the CRZ TC. They are pretty close in terms of performance and all are FWD. I may be forgetting another FWD race car but it just is not coming to me.

Angst

Ok, real grip reduction and the golf. I'll be in the lounge in one hour for practice. I'll update the OP tonight.

Stock tyres are comfort soft, which will probably be the best compound available for the race.

EDIT: I've done two laps in pouring rain and pitch black on comfort softs with real grip reduction. No problems at all, so we're going with these settings. Race will be started at 16:00 in-game time, with weather at 75%, 10% standing water and changeability at 5 I think. Time acceleration will be set so we hit the finish line at ~noon.

iamcenok

I wish I didn't miss the race, sorry guys.
Ended up having company. :/

I did take some pics while I was practicing for the race atleast. Heh..

6711195155_07a3df4f44_b.jpg

6711195921_c134c05a47_b.jpg

6711196765_65c5d57d58_b.jpg

Angst please sign me up.

Congratulatios FASJ on a text book victory .

My Miami Vice race [embarassed silence...]

As a a now semi-noob congrats Arcane for joining the fray.

Dibbz

iamcenok great pics. I can never get good shots in the tunnel. I just have no ideas what to do but your pics came out great. Nice job man.

Polyphony

How many laps are we going to do? I set time progression to 60 and it went from 16:00 to daytime again in 1 lap.

Also, are we planning on racing in the rain the whole way? With weather at 75%, changeability at 5 and surface water at 10%, the surface water reached 90% halfway through lap 2 during my practice race. It became pretty tough to judge braking distance, but comfort softs were still holding surprisingly well despite the wet weather.

Angst

Hard to say. Changeability at 1 and I got the rain to stop after 5 minutes. When I had it a 10 it didn't change at all. My advice is to practice in full rain. I did a full lap at 100% surface water and the comfort tyres still gave me pretty good traction.

Tyres seems to last forever, I had virtually no wear after 2 laps so I don't expect to do any pit stops in the race unless we raise # of laps to 10 or so...

Angst

@Niks: do you mind removing the ginormous gif? My browser always slows to a crawl when I want to edit the OP... :)

How many laps are we going to do? I set time progression to 60 and it went from 16:00 to daytime again in 1 lap.
I've suggested 5 laps, but I am open to suggestions. 5 laps should be around 40 - 50 minutes depending on conditions.

Toxa

for the rain, rain tyres are allowed or it's only confort soft ?

I tried confrot soft on dry condition and it's a bit awful, a lot of understeering .

it's fullstock ? because there's only 5 gears in this car and you can reach the top speed very quickly, we must adjust the gearbox

Angst

for the rain, rain tyres are allowed or it's only confort soft ?

I tried confrot soft on dry condition and it's a bit awful, a lot of understeering .

it's fullstock ? because there's only 5 gears in this car and you can reach the top speed very quickly, we must adjust the gearbox

Comfort Softs only. They are basically normal tyres that you have on your regular car, so they work pretty good in the rain.

We're going with a stock car, but won't be using the "No Tuning Allowed" setting in the lounge. The stock gearbox is a fully customizable one, so you can change the gear ratios.

Actually, I will probably allow upgrade of all non-PP enhancing upgrades to make sure we're all on the same page.

Toxa

you're sure about the choice of tyres for rain ? because when it's raining a lot the auto pilot had some trouble to exit the pit properly

but since the tyres should last the entire race (?) no need for pit stop

Angst

No, I'm still considering tyre options.

1. Comfort Soft - stock tyre, adequate dry and wet grip.
2. Sports tyres - good grip in dry conditions, awful grip in the rain due to less treads.
3. Rain / intermediaries - needs tyre choice to be set to racing hard in the lounge. Racing hards would be a too grippy tyre for the low-powered Golf.

With this in mind, I think comfort soft is the way to go.

Angst please sign me up.

Congratulatios FASJ on a text book victory .

My Miami Vice race [embarassed silence...]

As a a now semi-noob congrats Arcane for joining the fray.

Thanks!
I did have fun. I got pretty nervous whenever I was being passed. I didn't want to mess anyone up during my first race. My tires were pretty well shot by the last two laps so my racing line suffered for it.

Sign me up for the next race. I'll give it another go.

Low powered RM, comfort soft, ring, rain... yeah, I think I'm in for this one, thanks Angst :) I'm pretty busy lately but I'll try my best to participate. It's been a while since I last plugged in my DFGT after all :D

Top Bottom