• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Angst

6SIxO.gif

YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo and Niks for this week's banner!

Super GT500 2012 Event

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1326052800z0.png

Allowed cars:
Super GT 500 (no stealth cars)
Click here for full car list (ignore the part about duplicate liveries for this race)​
Tuning allowed:
Tuning of existing parts is allowed. No extra parts, except Lexus.
Cars will be limited to 502 BHP / 1100 KG
Lexus cars will be allowed Turbo Stage 2​
Tyre Selection
Racing
Track:
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (Remember that you need to purchase the track to be able to participate!​
Laps:
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (14 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Toxa
  • 03 - asclepio_gtr
  • 04 - paskowitz
  • 05 - magawolaz
  • 06 - weekend_warrior
  • 07 - Polyphony
  • 08 - Niks
  • 09 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 10 - Ashk
  • 11 - 2scoops
  • 12 - chillumhilla
  • 13 - Kaze13
  • 14 - MikeDub
  • 15 - brunoa76
  • 16 -
  • R1 - syn23
  • R2 - Metalmurphy
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Updated:
Laps​

For the new page

Angst

Apart from standing out from the livery crowd, is there any good reason to go for the older generation nsx's, gt-r's etc.?

Well, some of the older cars might be really good? Takes loads of testing to find them though. Or some Google-Fu to find seattle6418's car comparison in the Super GT thread ;)

Suggestion for next race (after SuperGT):

ixwmG.jpg

Ferrari F40 '92

vs.

7kgYq.jpg

Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary '88

vs.

ePdML.jpg

RUF CTR2 '96 (ie Porsche 993 Turbo)

on Special Stage Route 5. :D

Was going go with this. Lovely car to drive but eats rear tyres for breakfast.

Ahrweiler%252520-%252520Town%252520Square.jpg

So here is my ride for Sunday.

Kyoto%252520-%252520Shoren-in.jpg

p.s. as regards future races I think the current seasonal Expert B-Spec La Sarthe would make an epic battle.

Angst

If someone can set up the lounge one hour before race start that'd be great. I'll be home in time for the race, but probably not one hour before.

Business

Sry guys I won't be there today, my internet is not 100% fine and I prefer not to risk it. A shame, I was really looking forward to this one.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, such an HORRIBLE race you guys are doing tonight, in the 20 minutes I spectated (from lap 5):

Niks should be disqualified, always missing braking points on purpose and using that to his advantage every time he tried to catch up

Turntutulu awful passing techiques like he was playing a-Spec

Lazlo... Dunno wtf happened in that crash and shit happens but man why did you keep going at it like that? Did someone cut your arm or something while playing, all of the sudden?

I mean, I'd be seriously pissed if I was racing there and clean like the other guys, that is no fun at all, what's the point of joining if you're going to race like that?
I prefer coming in last for every race but at least be fair

Niks

Im sorry catch up to who exactly?
Dude I was 30 secs behind anyone at that point...
also you make it sound like I was cutting lescombes or something.

Lazlow, wtf where you doing damaged in that part of the track??

My apologies to all involved in the lap 6 'incident'. I was down to the last 15% on my tyres and was playing the 'who will pit first' game with Angst behind me. I decided to go one more lap as I was happy with the car but I overshot the first turn way too much, I then put my foot on the throttle and ended up going straight into the wall on the pit side, I thought it was only damage and I could control that easy enough. However after I Niks and co hit me I realised I haddestroyed my rear tyres due to the burnout and subsequent skidding and had no chance of regain control. So, again, my apologies.

Kaze13

I probably had the worst race out of all. Here are my thoughts:

1. I love heavy damage.
2. Niks, from my pov, did look more ragged in the few laps we had together.
3. Lazlow...man, at least be predictable after a crash/spin out. I corrected my line to avoid you only to have you go right in front of me. That was the race ended for me. I thought I could at least catch up to Niks with S/S tires after that but....
4. Rear ended into chillum at the first chicane. Stayed behind him for the rest of the lap til pit.
5. Position 7. Thought I could at least finish then I get rear ended on my 19th lap. Front end damage and engine failure. :( DNF.
6. FFFFFUUUUUUUU......
7. Not profiting

ashk

Sounds like some of you guys had a pretty frustrating race, I'm sorry to hear that. I screwed up my race myself by pushing too much in the first laps, which resulted in my tyres being completely worn out before my first scheduled pit stop and me losing 25 seconds because of that. So mostly I was just cruising on my own.

FWIW, all the backmarkers that I encountered were completely fair while I was overtaking them.

5. Position 7. Thought I could at least finish then I get rear ended on my 19th lap. Front end damage and engine failure. :( DNF.

Was it me that hit you? I was right behind you going into Les Combes and I saw you go into the gravel trap. There wasn't any contact that I felt, did you spin out on your own then and get hit later?

Toxa

I will not talk about what happened during race the most important thing was to see how the tyres work.

I am disappointed as I feared this race seems to confirm the theory that soft tyres still have the advantage, at least with this configuration.

I was on 2 pit stop strategy : racing soft, racing meds.

racing hard was pointless and too slow, racing meds wasn't fast enough , the drivers on soft compound were most of the time faster than me and I still wonder how I managed to stayed in second place

at least I own the fastest lap of the race xD

Kaze13

Sounds like some of you guys had a pretty frustrating race, I'm sorry to hear that. I screwed up my race myself by pushing too much in the first laps, which resulted in my tyres being completely worn out before my first scheduled pit stop and me losing 25 seconds because of that. So mostly I was just cruising on my own.

FWIW, all the backmarkers that I encountered were completely fair while I was overtaking them.

Was it me that hit you? I was right behind you going into Les Combes and I saw you go into the gravel trap. There wasn't any contact that I felt, did you spin out on your own then and get hit later?

Nabjimente right? I do believe that you did tag me from behind. It was violent enough that I skidded off course. I don't know how I managed to damage 3/4 corners of my car and my engine though...

Confirmation on tires used? How many times did you guys pit? I used Med/Hard and planned on pitting only once at lap 10. My lap times ranged from best of 1:18.xxx to 2:24.xxx on used tires.

I will not talk about what happened during race the most important thing was to see how the tyres work.

I am disappointed as I feared this race seems to confirm the theory that soft tyres still have the advantage, at least with this configuration.

racing hard was pointless and too slow, racing meds wasn't fast enough , the drivers on soft compound were most of the time faster than me and I still wonder how I managed to stayed in second place

at least I own the fastest lap of the race xD

As I thought. I didn't work on strategy as much I did on the Nurb GP race we had but I suspected as much as that. I had a ballpark figure though. The only variable I didn't know about was the average lap time of the fast guys. I found out too late and couldn't adjust (around 2:12 I think. I can manage only a 2:14 on racing softs...) So, I figured, a deficit of around 10 seconds per lap disadvantage meant that an adjustment was no longer viable. I could only hope for midpack at that point and went with it. If i could have managed a gap of around 5 seconds, I could have put up a fighting chance....

Toxa

As I thought. I didn't work on strategy as much I did on the Nurb GP race we had but I suspected as much as that. I had a ballpark figure though. The only variable I didn't know about was the average lap time of the fast guys. I found out too late and couldn't adjust (around 2:12 I think. I can manage only a 2:14 on racing softs...) So, I figured, a deficit of around 10 seconds per lap disadvantage meant that an adjustment was no longer viable. I could only hope for midpack at that point and went with it. If i could have managed a gap of around 5 seconds, I could have put up a fighting chance....

when I was on racing soft is was great I had the pace but after my first pit stop with racing meds it was over :D even if you try 1 pit stop with racing hard or meds you lose too much time compared to the soft tyres

my conclusion is racing hard and meds are still pointless at least at spa with 20 laps

magawolaz

Don't tell me :( Probably I was the only one using racing hards (but in the last few laps I used racing soft so I was able to reach chulli, who passed me when I was pitting)
I thought it was a good strategy using racing hard and trying to pit less, but actually they didn't give me advantages :lol
Oh well.

Toxa

Don't tell me :( Probably I was the only one using racing hards (but in the last few laps I used racing soft so I was able to reach chulli, who passed me when I was pitting)
I thought it was a good strategy using racing hard and trying to pit less, but actually they didn't give me advantages :lol
Oh well.

niks was on racing hard too

with the same amount of pit stop I'm 30 second behind paskowitz without major error
it was a pure failure LMAO

great race everyone
well done patriots first again
even though i am often on the wrong end of heavy damage i am a fan
thankyou kaz for being a gentleman after we both ended in up in the verge
i have become less convinced for the case of variable compounds & heavy damage ; case example i am on worn very mediums car behind fresh softs KERBANNGG!

Business

Strategy-wise from the practice we did in the lounge (I think it was Tuesday?) it was clear to me it was RS-RS all the way. RS were 4 seconds a lap faster than RH, in 10 laps thats 40 seconds that easily compensates for 1 more pitstop, with the added plus of being much 'safer' tyres.

So or Polyphony changes the tyres' performance/degradation or given the choice it will always be RS.

As an idea and so we can still use different sets of tyres during races, maybe we could enforce a RH stint F1 style? what do you guys think? Maybe not on all races or not on street car races, but for GT500 it would fit I think.

ashk

Nabjimente right? I do believe that you did tag me from behind. It was violent enough that I skidded off course. I don't know how I managed to damage 3/4 corners of my car and my engine though...

Confirmation on tires used? How many times did you guys pit? I used Med/Hard and planned on pitting only once at lap 10. My lap times ranged from best of 1:18.xxx to 2:24.xxx on used tires.

Yeah, that was me, sorry about that. I would have apologized earlier, but on my end there wasn't any contact so I thought that you spun out on your own. Must have been lag I guess.

I pitted twice and used softs for all three stints. I'm disappointed to say that it was again the fastest strategy, but it was still possible to screw it up if you drive too aggressively - as I did, which made me lose 25 seconds after the first stint. Paskowitz's car handled its tyres better and that helped him a great deal in winning the race.

Niks

Qualified third, decided to start on hards... terrible mistake. By eau-rouge i was already 6th lol
Then the accident happened and my race was over.

Congrats to Pask.

Dash Kappei

Im sorry catch up to who exactly?
Dude I was 30 secs behind anyone at that point...
also you make it sound like I was cutting lescombes or something.

Lazlow, wtf where you doing damaged in that part of the track??

"Dude", I know it's unpleasant when somome calls you out but it is what it is. Shit was painful to watch.
It definitely sounds like there was something strange happening on the names board because from lap6 to lap9 "you" (since you're telling me you never fought anyone it's obvious there was a name mis-match bug) constantly went large missing break points without even slowing down, always when fighting just a couple of seconds behind your opponent. There was probably a mix up on the name board, maybe some glitch, because I had the cam on you by name. Car was with an azure (azzurro?) paint chip iirc (sky blue).
Or maybe some other strange lag- bug, because if that car was indeed you then it definitely wasn't more than 3 secs behind at those point, and nowhere near a 30s gap :shrugs:
I don't have the full replay but it shouldn't be that hard for you guys participating tonight to have a look at all the awful tactics (not specifically pointing to cutting corners and going large) then went down on Spa.

I don't think I should feel bad to have said your name if that's what the game displayed, should I?
You just debunked it and it's all right, I'm actually happy this way since I know you're very good at the game and always end up in the top spots, still whoever that was racing like that is not fun, nor fair to the others.

I suck compared to 99% of you guys, but I always loved the spirit and the fairness being embraced in NRL races.
I'm sad to say I didn't like what I saw in the last two races (the other one I remember you guys had light damage instead of heavy, anc it was kinda bad) I spectated.

Kaze13

Yeah, that was me, sorry about that. I would have apologized earlier, but on my end there wasn't any contact so I thought that you spun out on your own. Must have been lag I guess.

I pitted twice and used softs for all three stints. I'm disappointed to say that it was again the fastest strategy, but it was still possible to screw it up if you drive too aggressively - as I did, which made me lose 25 seconds after the first stint. Paskowitz's car handled its tyres better and that helped him a great deal in winning the race.

It's all good. The race was done for me anyway.

What was your average lap time?

Got disconnected @ middle of the race. Feels bad man...

Before that, I was 4th, 3 secs behind the leaders... And I suddenly destroyed my race @ Eau Rouge.

A weekend to forget, I guess.

[edit] If my word worth anything, Niks is a amazing driver, and I doubt he was unfair @ the race... He had just a really bad choice about the tyres.

Angst

YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo

Miami Vice Supercars

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1326657600z0.png

Allowed cars:
Ferrari F40 '92
Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary '88
RUF CTR2 '96
Tuning allowed:
No tuning allowed
PP limited at 515 PP (Subject to change)​
Tyre Selection
Sports Medium
Track:
Special Stage Route 5​
Laps:
15 (TBD)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip: Realistic​
Players Participating (10 / 16):
  • 01 - weekend_warrior
  • 02 -
  • 03 - Dibbz
  • 04 - 2scoops
  • 05 - Kaze13
  • 06 - Arcane Hayter
  • 07 - Xun
  • 08 - iamcenox
  • 09 - Niks
  • 10 -
  • 11 - asclepio_gtr
  • 12 - gynoug79
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - paskowitz
  • R2 - Norante
  • R3 - seattle6418
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Extra info:
As this week's race will be slightly shorter than usual, I suggest that those that want to stick around after the race and we'll do a 2 lap Nürburgring race as well (full weather and night cycle). I'll pick one of the recommended cars for that race.​

Updated:
Players, extra info, tyres​

Angst

If someone (ie Niks or Polyphony) wants to do a banner I'll update the OP with it.

Also: I feel that dash went a bit overboard with the critique above. I've done perhaps 30 races with Niks and I know for a fact that he races well and fairly. Same thing goes for MikeDub, he might get irritated from time to time but he wouldn't crash anyone on purpose and if he drove erratically he probably had massive damage which can cause the car to act really weird.

Also dash, don't throw rocks. To a spectator your parking spot on Deep Forest would have looked like intentional messing up of our race...

If I enter a corner and get bumped from behind I can get angry, but things like that happen in racing and unless the other car goes into a hairpin 100 kmh too fast I know it's not intentional. If you're going to pass someone that looks like they've cut off both their arms that means they have massive damage and you have to slow down a lot to be able to pass safely.

In short - accidents happen. Sometimes you might feel that the other driver should have done things differently, but as long as we can't communicate whilst driving misunderstanding are bound to happen from time to time.

But that's history now, it's time to look forward to the next race and hope that we'll get less frustrated by it.

Dibbz

Shame that you guys didn't have a great race. It's been a while since we have used Super GT's and I figured it would have caused problems. Oh well on to the next one. Sign me up Angst. I've not raced in my RUF's much so this should be fun.

brunoa76

On my replay there is clearly massive lag between both of you in that accident.

Seeing how things aren't calm enough yet, the races are fairly long and I'm quite busy, I won't be joining next week either. Hope you all have fun at SSR5, though ;)

Did quick testing with the 3 cars on SSR5.

F40- stock with 480hp, 530pp. Best lap 1:43.2. Fun to drive, but very squirrelly and quite a handful with no TC on a DS3.

Lambo- stock with 409hp, 499pp. Best lap 142.8. Easiest car to drive, unpowered vs the other 2.

RUF- stock with 540hp, 543pp. Best lap 1.41.6. Fast, 4WD makes it predictable and easy to drive.

While I was only 1 second faster with the RUF it's pretty obvious we'll need a HP limit to bring it down, on the straight it could reach 160mph vs only 143 in the Lambo. I'll leave it to the better drivers to decide how much. The Ferrari and Lambo felt more evenly matched, but it have just been me not being able to push the F40 very hard.

Dash Kappei

If someone (ie Niks or Polyphony) wants to do a banner I'll update the OP with it.

Also: I feel that dash went a bit overboard with the critique above. I've done perhaps 30 races with Niks and I know for a fact that he races well and fairly. Same thing goes for MikeDub, he might get irritated from time to time but he wouldn't crash anyone on purpose and if he drove erratically he probably had massive damage which can cause the car to act really weird.

Also dash, don't throw rocks. To a spectator your parking spot on Deep Forest would have looked like intentional messing up of our race...

If I enter a corner and get bumped from behind I can get angry, but things like that happen in racing and unless the other car goes into a hairpin 100 kmh too fast I know it's not intentional. If you're going to pass someone that looks like they've cut off both their arms that means they have massive damage and you have to slow down a lot to be able to pass safely.

In short - accidents happen. Sometimes you might feel that the other driver should have done things differently, but as long as we can't communicate whilst driving misunderstanding are bound to happen from time to time.

But that's history now, it's time to look forward to the next race and hope that we'll get less frustrated by it.

I'm not throwing rocks Angst, and I thought I made it clear myself that I think Niks is an amazing driver.
I kept posting simply because Niks said he was 30s behind at that point when looking at the race from the lobby it was more like 3secs and fighting against another car while spectating, so that rubbed me off a bit since I'm not a liar.

I was just waiting for someone to call me out on that park job but it sure makes me a bit sad seeing you do that, like that was something comparable to my criticisms.
The difference is that, first I wasn't trying to gain anything doing that in my race, second I aknowledged my fuck up immediately with that parking and third I said I was sorry countless times... I wasn't like "watchutalkinaboutwillies".
Also that my fuckup of not parking far away enough from the track would look like intentionally messing up a race from a spectator pow is, frankly, a load of rubbish that honestly is uncalled for and disappointing to hear.

I've read many times posts against new-guys-on-the-block because they were using the safety escape zones to their advantage instead of slowing down after missing a break point, and you stressed many times how important that is.
Anyway, no problem, this is starting to get blown out into a bigger deal than I wanted, and seeing defense forces like I was personally attacking Niks makes me uncomfortable since that wasn't my intention, I also keep reading about past races when I was the first to compliment Niks but I don't understand why we don't discuss about this race since I wasn't definitely talking about a recurring behaviour.
Other than saying, after his short rebuttal, that it was probably a name mis-match bug, or lag, or whatever, so totally giving him more than the benefit of the doubt, what should have I done?
To not post about that at all because the name was that of Niks (or turntutulo, or Lazlo)?
It seems clear to me that criticism on behaviour for the sake of having better races rubs you guys off when it's directed to the old guard, I don't like that but I can see how I could do the same if I were in your position and maybe I did in the past for other games/communities; it's probably my fault and I'll keep it to myself in the future and I'm sorry if I caused any inconvenience, I love the community you guys created with NRL (otherwise I wouldn't bother to spectate it, would I) and I'm glad to have been a part of that even if much less than what I'd like to, hopefully you won't hold a grudge for the opinions I expressed and still be ok with me participating.

Peace.
Also, sorry for any typos, on my iPad.

Kaze13

I'm not throwing rocks Angst, and I thought I made it clear myself that I think Niks is an amazing driver.
I kept posting simply because Niks said he was 30s behind at that point when looking at the race from the lobby it was more like 3secs and fighting against another car while spectating, so that rubbed me off a bit since I'm not a liar.

My thoughts about this since I was involved in the early goings of that race.

1. Niks is a good driver. I've tangled with him several times before. We had quite the good time swapping places at Fuji in one of our races.
2. From my point of view, I do see him cutting a few corners during the last race. However, I did not automatically assume that he does it intentionally (if at all) due to lag and other variables (simply blowing the corner).
3. I did notice that I gained a few tenths on him by the end of one lap. By the time we got to Eu Rouge (I think that is what that turn is called :/) he got me back.
4. The best way to settle this is to actually watch Niks replay pov and judge from there.

Edit: Please add me to the list for the next race.

Angst

My point was that it's one thing to spectate and another to be in the race. Worn tyres makes it easy to miss a braking point and thus overshoot a corner, which to someone watching might look intentional. I saw MikeDub overshoot once or twice and I did it myself a couple of times. None of us actually gained anything from it.

Just been watching the replays guys, really fascinating to watch Toxa, Ashk and patriots battle it out. Love it when Ashk totals his car and unlike mere mortals who would limp back to the pits, he goes faster and overtakes until his tyres are knackered.
Talking of tyres, my strategy of one pit RM was flawed especially since the last couple of laps when I should have been pushin' I was too worried about scrubbin' the tyres but it was interesting to watch all the combo's people were going for. Niks at one point was on sneaky B-Specesque SS!

I really want to join the league and do one of these races with you guys, but I'm a little nervous about my skill level.

Will you sign me up for the Miami race? I'll put some practice in so I can race clean.

Top Bottom