• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Angst

Thanks!
I did have fun. I got pretty nervous whenever I was being passed. I didn't want to mess anyone up during my first race. My tires were pretty well shot by the last two laps so my racing line suffered for it.

Sign me up for the next race. I'll give it another go.

Low powered RM, comfort soft, ring, rain... yeah, I think I'm in for this one, thanks Angst :) I'm pretty busy lately but I'll try my best to participate. It's been a while since I last plugged in my DFGT after all :D

Nice! And I just got a PM from iamcenok, which means we have a full grid and two guys on reserve. Even though we are doing a rain race and on the difficult Ring I think this race will be easier as the car is low powered. Once night sets we will be a bit spread out so things should be good.

I will accept more sign-ups for the reserve spots as in my experience we never get a full grid due to people dropping out late. If you know in advance that you probably cant' make it, post here and I'll move you to the reserves and move someone else up.

16 car grid would be sweet!

Edit: should we raise # of laps?

ashk

No, I'm still considering tyre options.

1. Comfort Soft - stock tyre, adequate dry and wet grip.
2. Sports tyres - good grip in dry conditions, awful grip in the rain due to less treads.
3. Rain / intermediaries - needs tyre choice to be set to racing hard in the lounge. Racing hards would be a too grippy tyre for the low-powered Golf.

With this in mind, I think comfort soft is the way to go.

I'd go with CS too. If we go up to racing pit stops would come into play if it stops raining, and with the long lap times it might end up being complicated.

About the number of laps, I dunno. Maybe a lap or two more? Any more might be too long.

Angst

Please Angst sign me up too, chances are I can make it on sunday. I'll try to put some practice today.
You're on the reserves list. As I said above you can pretty much count on getting a spot in the race on Sunday. We've never not had any dropouts.
I'd go with CS too. If we go up to racing pit stops would come into play if it stops raining, and with the long lap times it might end up being complicated.

About the number of laps, I dunno. Maybe a lap or two more? Any more might be too long.

I'd like to do 6 laps, but we'll stick with 5 laps if people feel 6 is too much.

Niks

Are we keeping the car stock? If so how long is the lap?

An issue with the ring is that races tend to become a bit boring in the sense that you tend to be running by yourself most of the race so I dont know if increasing the # of laps is good thing?

Maybe we could do 2, 3 lap races?
Just a suggestion.

Polyphony

I like Niks' suggestion.

When I practiced last night, I redlined 5th gear on the long downhill portion before Fuchsrohre. There were no problems down the final straight since it climbs slightly, but with slipstream I can imagine cars will have trouble passing each other at max speed. Not a huge deal though I think.

Put me down as a reserve. I might be able to join in on Sunday. If not, I am up for some practice sessions on Saturday. I should have the apt. to my self which means gaming binge time.

Toxa

my car is ready

vKo1bl.jpg

Angst

I like Niks' suggestion.

When I practiced last night, I redlined 5th gear on the long downhill portion before Fuchsrohre. There were no problems down the final straight since it climbs slightly, but with slipstream I can imagine cars will have trouble passing each other at max speed. Not a huge deal though I think.
Sounds pretty good. I'll think about it and update the OP.

remember that gears are customizable, ie lounge will not be set to restrictive no tuning.

Niks made a good point. If we do two races, the second should be reversed grid order.

That´s a good idea, but people need to be very careful. Regular Nurb is narrow and it doesn´t have good overtaking spots.

From experience on public nurb normal car lobbies there´s a lot of mayhem and things will only settle down after Karussel.

I like the two short races (3 laps?).

Same car in the second?

Angst

iGgE2crFMo2Tx.jpg

YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo and Norante for the banner

Nürburgring langrenn

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1327262400z0.png

Allowed cars:
Volkswagen Golf IV GTI RM '01​
Tuning allowed:
Tuning of existing parts allowed
All non-PP upgrades allowed, no PP-affecting upgrades allowed.
Lounge will be limited to stock BHP / Weight​
Tyre Selection
Comfort Soft
Track:
Nürburgring Nordschleife Change Weather/Time​
Laps:
3 x 2 (as per Niks suggestion we'll do two races back-to-back, with reverse grid order for the second race)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Weather: 75%, Changeability: 6, Standing Water: 10%
Players Participating (16 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - 2scoops
  • 03 - Niks
  • 04 - paskowitz
  • 05 - f0rk
  • 06 - ashk
  • 07 - Toxa
  • 08 - Dibbz
  • 09 - MikeDub
  • 10 - Norante
  • 11 - Polyphony
  • 12 - chillumchilla
  • 13 - Kaze13
  • 14 - Arcane Hayter
  • 15 - Risk Breaker
  • 16 - iamcenok
  • R1 - Metalmurphy
  • R2 - Seattle6418
  • R3 - SpeedOfNuts
  • R4 - Gutterboy44
  • R5 - gynoug79
Remember to put the number above to the left of your name on your car for easier identification in the replay​
Race procedure:

7:00 PM - Lounge opens for practice
7:45 PM - Track resets, weather reset to OP settings
7:45 PM - Qualifications starts (you have to join somewhere in the 7:45 to 8:15 time slot at the latest)
8:15 PM - Race starts, 3 laps
~8:45 PM - First race ends, followed by a short break (5-10 minutes) for water/toilet/whatever
~8:55 PM - Second race starts, with reverse grid order, no track reset, we continue with the conditions the track is currently at (unless I decide to overrule the weather gods and change it)[/B]

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:
Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Updated:
Upgrades, race format, players​

For the new page. Love the banner Norante, great work! :)

Mobius 1

I googled it and apparently it means "cross country" or "endurance". :p
We can change it to anything, I only made the banner because I had some time during work and been thinking about bloody GT5 all day.

Angst

I googled it and apparently it means "cross country" or "endurance". :p
We can change it to anything, I only made the banner because I had some time during work and been thinking about bloody GT5 all day.

Nah, I regard it as an endurance, but with a slightly longer pit stop. :)

I'll be on to practice in around 30-45 minutes.
Cool, I'll be there as well.

Mobius 1

I think I will have to get an HDMI adapter and use the PS3 on my office, if I want to use the G27. Since I moved I lost the ability to set it up in front of the TV. :(

Anyway, I'm hitting the lounge when I'm done with work, for some practice.

ashk

I was going to change that something else, but as it's in the banner I won't change it. I was going to make sure that my German was right too, but I forgot about that :p I think it's German for endurance race.

Langrenn sounds accurate, the literal translation would be "long race"? Although I think the term that is used is Langstrecke.

ashk

After practice tonight I can say that CS tyres hold up pretty good in full wet. Lap time difference between 100% wet and 10-15% wet was about 35 seconds. When the track is 100% wet it's easy to get used to it, the most difficult part is trying to drive fast in changing conditions, it's easy to overcook it and go off course.

Angst

We had no issues with the lounge yesterday - other than WW not being able to join that is.

As for how we'll do the race: (all times are in GMT)

7:00 PM - Lounge opens for practice
7:45 PM - Track resets, weather reset to OP settings
7:45 PM - Qualifications starts (you have to join somewhere in the 7:45 to 8:15 time slot at the latest)
8:15 PM - Race starts, 3 laps
~8:45 PM - First race ends, followed by a short break (5-10 minutes) for water/toilet/whatever
~8:55 PM - Second race starts, with reverse grid order, no track reset, we continue with the conditions the track is currently at (unless I decide to overrule the weather gods and change it)

If you place last in the first race you will end up on pole in the second race et cetera. The fastest guys will be behind the slower guys, so we all need to be extra careful in the second race. Extra care will have to be taken by the guys in the back as they will want to overtake the slower guys. This is not lapping of backmarkers, you will have to wait for a good opportunity to pass and the guys in front must absolutely not feel that they have to let the others pass them just because they are faster. If for example seattle is stuck behind me I will not let him by easily.

But of course, normal race rules applies, stick to the racing line and don't weave back and forth across the track.

Angst

Langstreckenrennen would be correct, Langrenn is pretty weird ;P

Lol I agree. Especially as "langrenn" in Norwegian is "cross country skiing". :p

@Norante: If you have the time, please change the banner from "Langrenn" to "Endurance" and PM me the new URL and I'll update the OP.

paskowitz

Good news for me is that I have clocked over 400 laps on The Ring and probably know it better than any track. The overtaking zones are few and far between, but they are there. You have to know when the track gets wide and when it narrows. There is really only one straight on The Ring, every corner leads to another corner, so knowing the next combination of corners is critical. You have to set your passes up at least 2-3 corners in advance. There are also certain areas with no curbing that can prove fatal if misjudged. The 24hr circuit is much easier because you can just wait until you get to the GP circuit and make your pass there.

Some pictures to prepare everyone for the race:
BMW_M3_en_MINI_crash_Nurburgring_1.JPG

xbow-crash.jpg

pics-max-14974-313911-bmw-m3-e46-csl-crash-nurburgring.jpg

nurburgring_crash_1.jpg

pics-max-14974-313912-accident-m3-csl-nurburgring-suite.jpg

1257h3audir8fireintan5.jpg

Toxa

next week supercar party :

aventador vs enzo vs mclaren f1 94 vs corvette zr1 c6 09

sport soft

just an idea :D

Angst

sport soft

Are they relatively balanced? I hate it when one car dominates in a vs race. Only really good vs race so far was the merc vs ferrari on monza imo.

Edit: we now have a full grid of 16 players + 5 reserves. Please make sure that you will stick around in the race until the end, with so many reserves it would be a bummer to have people drop out during the race and thus not giving the reserves any chance to participate. If someone does drop out in the first race I hope one of the reserves can step in for the second race. If that happens I'll notify the reserves via PSN.

Angst

I'm thinking this:
jUKuaMzsBg6yR.jpg

could be cool for the next race. Max tuning or we'll fall asleep. 1600 Beetle and Cape Ring could be quite fun.

Niks

Another idea....

How about a "race your favorite car" race?
limit it to street cars and a set a PP limit.

Yeah, some cars could be faster than others even with the same PP, but it could be fun to have all kinds of cars on the grid.

ashk

Next week is Daytona 24 hours and we haven't raced on the Daytona road course yet so I'm thinking this would be a good opportunity. GT5 lacks any Daytona prototypes but LMPs might be a good replacement.

sport soft

Boooo @ sport soft

Angst

Another idea....

Yeah, some cars could be faster than others even with the same PP, but it could be fun to have all kinds of cars on the grid.

Yeah, I'd like that. Inevitably we'd get one car running away from the others, but it's not really the end of the world. One thing is for sure, I'm not going to test all the cars available... :p I know what car I'll be using at least :D
Next week is Daytona 24 hours and we haven't raced on the Daytona road course yet so I'm thinking this would be a good opportunity. GT5 lacks any Daytona prototypes but LMPs might be a good replacement.
Sounds like a good idea as well. I looooove the LMPs, but experience shows that they are a bit hard to handle. But it might be time to give them some more love.

I'll think about the options for next week and post something next Monday.

Toxa

Boooo @ sport soft

something wrong with sport soft ?

f0rk

Another idea....

Don't do this next weekend as it's a great idea and I won't be around ;p

Oooh yeah, I can't get myself to use any of the colors I paid for. :'(

What I do is back up my GT5 save file on a separate user account, paint my car whatever color I want, gift it to my mule, reload my old file, and gift the car back. Obviously this won't work on untradeable cars.

Top Bottom