• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Through the years, and specially after some help from GTP´s WRS, i learned to like regular tires.

I was supersofts and fully tuned all the time, everytime.

Now i think some cars are better represented in their natural state.

Those SuperGT cars, for example, don´t work as well when they are fully tuned.

That being said, racing race cars on anything other than racing tires just feel artificial.

paskowitz

It depends on the car but when racing online (online has less grip and slightly different physics), 1 tire level above stock feels about right. This is more for higher power cars which become too loose. SGT cars are fine with RH... but something like an LMP car becomes quite a handful to the point where it is not all that realistic. For road cars an M3 is fine online with SH, but an Enzo or F1 really needs SM to feel realistic. Most people forget, difficulty does not equal realism. In iRacing no car is incredibly difficult, only difficult to master.

paskowitz

Didnt Amar said he used sports softs for racecars? Many opinions on the subject.

For offline mode, yes. Sports softs are appropriate for most race cars. But anything that is like a GT1 or GT2 class car in terms of power (500-550+) really needs RH. Also, one has to consider variable track conditions which are not present in GT5. Rubbering, track temp, air temp, etc all have an effect. There is also a problem with the fact that racing tires behave differently than road tires. In GT5 they just have X more grip. The problem with equipping lower level tires is that while, you may have to drive more carefully like you would in a real race car, the way the car handles (usually sliding all over the place) is not real.

Angst

ibaZChSKZZUGi2.jpg

YXEcf.png

Credits to Polyphony for the Logo and Norante for the banner

Nürburgring langrenn

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1327262400z0.png

Allowed cars:
Volkswagen Golf IV GTI RM '01​
Tuning allowed:
Tuning of existing parts allowed
All non-PP upgrades allowed, no PP-affecting upgrades allowed.
Lounge will be limited to stock BHP / Weight​
Tyre Selection
Comfort Soft
Track:
Nürburgring Nordschleife Change Weather/Time​
Laps:
3 x 2 (as per Niks suggestion we'll do two races back-to-back, with reverse grid order for the second race)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Weather: 75%, Changeability: 6, Standing Water: 10%
Players Participating (16 / 16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - 2scoops
  • 03 - Niks
  • 04 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 05 - f0rk
  • 06 - ashk
  • 07 - Toxa
  • 08 - Dibbz
  • 09 - MikeDub
  • 10 - Norante
  • 11 - Polyphony
  • 12 - chillumchilla
  • 13 - Kaze13
  • 14 - Arcane Hayter
  • 15 - Risk Breaker
  • 16 - iamcenok
  • R1 - Metalmurphy
  • R2 - Seattle6418
  • R3 - gynoug79
  • R4 - Gutterboy44
  • R5 - paskowitz
Remember to put the number above to the left of your name on your car for easier identification in the replay​
Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Updated:
Upgrades, race format, players​

paskowitz

I will not be able to make it this weekend. My grandmother's health has taken a turn for the worst. This may be one of the last chances I get to see her.

I will not be able to make it this weekend. My grandmother's health has taken a turn for the worst. This may be one of the last chances I get to see her.

We feel for you man. Take the time needed. We hope she gets better, if it´s still possible.

Our prayers are with your family.

Didnt Amar said he used sports softs for racecars? Many opinions on the subject.

Wow, that´s a surprise. That would be extremely unrealistic of the game, because in real life, races are held with cars using racing tires.

If he feels he needs to use an artificial tire to get a good simulation, i think it´s a shame.

The best thing i look for are lap times. If they are close to real life, then that´s the tire i should be using if i want to simulate anything.

amar212

For offline mode, yes. Sports softs are appropriate for most race cars. But anything that is like a GT1 or GT2 class car in terms of power (500-550+) really needs RH. Also, one has to consider variable track conditions which are not present in GT5. Rubbering, track temp, air temp, etc all have an effect. There is also a problem with the fact that racing tires behave differently than road tires. In GT5 they just have X more grip. The problem with equipping lower level tires is that while, you may have to drive more carefully like you would in a real race car, the way the car handles (usually sliding all over the place) is not real.

I have to jump in.

Not only did we totally abandoned R compound for all race-cars (for example, we race Mazda Roadster TC only on Comfort Soft (N3) and Mazda RX-7 TC on Sports Hard (S1)), we impose further restriction on road cars as well.

We deployed Our Best Men™ in research for realistic grip and at this moment we are forcing all road cars on Comfort tires only, with notable exception of supercars such as McLaren F1, Enzo and similar (basically all road cars with more than 500HP) which we run on Sport Hard (S1).

But all other high-powered sports cars we run on Comfort Soft (N3 - RUFs, F430, Italia, SLS, Lambos, Astons, BMW's...) and they drive like a heaven. Comfort Medium (N2) is there for all mid-range sports cars (approx. 200 - 350 HP), while for all other cars we imposed CH (N1) as default compound.

We would not touch R compound even with a stick at this point, only problem we're facing is actual tire-wear for longer races - but it also can be a challenge for itself, you just need enough dedicated players.

EDIT: My condolences for the grandma Pask.

paskowitz

I have to jump in.

Not only did we totally abandoned R compound for all race-cars (for example, we race Mazda Roadster TC only on Comfort Soft (N3) and Mazda RX-7 TC on Sports Hard (S1)), we impose further restriction on road cars as well.

We deployed Our Best Men™ in research for realistic grip and at this moment we are forcing all road cars on Comfort tires only, with notable exception of supercars such as McLaren F1, Enzo and similar (basically all road cars with more than 500HP) which we run on Sport Hard (S1).

But all other high-powered sports cars we run on Comfort Soft (N3 - RUFs, F430, Italia, SLS, Lambos, Astons, BMW's...) and they drive like a heaven. Comfort Medium (N2) is there for all mid-range sports cars (approx. 200 - 350 HP), while for all other cars we imposed CH (N1) as default compound.

We would not touch R compound even with a stick at this point, only problem we're facing is actual tire-wear for longer races - but it also can be a challenge for itself, you just need enough dedicated players.

EDIT: My condolences for the grandma Pask.

Thanks for the condolences.

(in regards to ONLINE MODE not arcade or GTLife)
I have only driven 3 performance cars that are in GT5. The E92 BMW M3, BMW 135i and Lotus Elise (w/ cup tires). In my opinion the M3 is too grippy with sports hards and too slippery with comfort softs. The 135i is about right with comfort softs, maybe about 10-15% too much grip. The Elise I drove was like a go kart, so I would say comfort softs were even a little too loose.

There are so many different types of tires out there, it is impossible to get an accurate gauge on what is real and what is not. The M3 IRL actually understeers. Put CS on it in GT5 and it becomes the driftmobile. The car is not crazy. It is very drivable.

Then there is the problem that most (if not all if we are to be honest) FFB wheels do not offer the same level of sensation a real car offers. And then when the car gets out of wack in the game because there was no grip, who is to say there would not have been some type of physical warning IRL? There is a flip side to every argument.

Most cars are not as hard to drive as people would like to think. The fact that if you put lesser tires on a car and their laptimes or other metrics suddenly become more realistic does not compensate for the fact that they feel like wild animals. Cars in games will always be faster, because you do not have the fear of crashing, causing monetary damage or any of the other eleventy billion factors that go into driving/racing.

Again, the comments stated above are my opinion, not empirical fact.

amar212

I absolutely agree with everything you said Pask.

Notice I am also referring only to the online portion of the game. In the offline mode I tend to use the same compound that rest of grid is using and trying to work my way to the victory with the underpowered car. However, that are the restrictions I impose by myself, I am doing that since the GT4 and first introduction of A-Spec points, where me and my friends were competing over the reaching maximum A-Spec points imaginable. At the end it even led to one of my friends becoming a member of the 100.000 A-Spec Point Club, an achievement so hard that noone who didn't try to reach can even imagine its unique size. But that is another story really.

Above you said truth about tire-grip in GT5, where every *step above* or *step below* adds an X-amount of grip. If I recall well, one of the GTP members calculated that X being 0,6-times more/less grip for every step above/below.

So, although all cars comes with "default" tires, many of them - heck, all of them - have those compounds assigned very arbitrary and under the some "default" logic which we really have no problem with - *stock* cars will forever be the main aspect of GT games - thanx to the fact we can change it.

You are talking about the sliding. And I agree about it, it happens. But I do not find sliding as an consequence per-se, I find it as a way to deliver the information that you're not driving that car accordingly. It is very hard for me to explain, but I will use F355 Challenge game as an example. In order to achieve winning position in F355 Challenge, you had to master the absolute perfection in corner-entrance, acceleration, braking points, overtake sequences, etc. And sliding - and note how F355 Challenge used Racing tires on that one car - was the only way to provide you with the information how you are actually doing something wrong.

That is the exact same logic we try to impose in our GT5 driving. No sliding whatsoever. No touching another car under any circumstances. No leaving the track boundaries under any circumstances (white lines). And no ABS. Which is the single most important factor of them all. No ABS for ANY type of car.

Combine those two principles: imposed tire compound selection in order to match "provisionally accurate" grip-levels - that are "authorized" by our own member who is professional rally racer and car-tester and another one who is professional drifter - with no-ABS and driving etiquette above, results with most memorable virtual racing experience we can imagine.

Here I have to further elaborate on non-ABS to avoid possible confusion. Although vanilla-non-ABS was rubbish, in the current state of the game it is another world really. We concluded how ABS in GT5 is not really an *ABS system*, but in fact some kind of default braking assist that does not simulate ABS-system at all, but just allows more flamboyant braking-policies and - which is most important - drastically kills unique characteristics of the cars.

Of course, running ABS-off calls for proper adjusting of Brake Bias and without it there can't be proper driving sensation. But once you set-up cars with proper balance and take them on the track, whole new world opens. Also, turning off that assist drastically changes the way how car have to be driven and even more drastically changes the in-race behavior of every driver.

Of course, all of us are using wheels, majority having G25/27, some DFGT is here and there and two of us are currently lucky owners of the CSRE. But we can all cope with the same *philosophy* because imposed *rules* are resulting with great focus, great level of immersion and at the end - great races.

Also I'd like to use this particular discussion to quote the picture below, which is the excerption from the GT5: Prologue Japanese manual, where PD took their time to make an *suggestion* about what cars should use which type of tires for making them as close as real-world default tire-compound - that was naturally presented for the vanilla-edition of GT5:p. Notice how this chart was made in good will backthen, but after updates in GT5:p and in early stages of GT5 release, it could not be used as an guideline. But after the GT5 Spec 2.0 update we again found it extremely accurate.

Q602g.png

Values in the left column are proposed default tires while values in the right column are the grip-level of the fitted default compound after the tire has reached it's heated-state (grip peak).

To end this long post I just want to conclude how everyone should drive as he want and great thing about GT5 is how it allows exactly that. We are not really trying to make our racing hard and non-fun - it serves no purpose but self-proclaimed elitism, which is funny by default - we just try to make it as convincing and close to RL as possible. We consider ourselves lucky because we managed to build such small but dedicated community which had enough lure to attract even professional drivers who were very interested in sharing their insights with us. All I written above is product of brainstorming and hours of independent testing of almost dozen of people. And having a possibility to use all above conclusions and have a great races as result is the greatest prize imaginable.

Angst

Kinda makes me laugh when I think about the early NRL days when we used racing softs on our 400hp street cars.

And people still had difficulties keeping the car on the track - me included :p

Thanks for the very detailed analysis Amar!

I've gone from always using Racing Softs to using the stock tyre of the car and having much more exciting races as a result. When it comes to the NRL I prefer stock tyres, unless I feel that the cars are a bit too hard to control which would lead to us having a crashfest instead of a proper race. When racing online I feel that (as long as everyone is on the same compound) the most important part is having a balanced and fun race for all involved. Sometimes that means going for a stickier tyre than I originally would have picked.

One thing I would like to learn more about Amar:

Here I have to further elaborate on non-ABS to avoid possible confusion. Although vanilla-non-ABS was rubbish, in the current state of the game it is another world really. We concluded how ABS in GT5 is not really an *ABS system*, but in fact some kind of default braking assist that does not simulate ABS-system at all, but just allows more flamboyant braking-policies and - which is most important - drastically kills unique characteristics of the cars.

Of course, running ABS-off calls for proper adjusting of Brake Bias and without it there can't be proper driving sensation. But once you set-up cars with proper balance and take them on the track, whole new world opens. Also, turning off that assist drastically changes the way how car have to be driven and even more drastically changes the in-race behavior of every driver.
"Proper adjusting" - I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, but I'm not sure what it means. Moving the brake bias to the rear wheels?

Kinda makes me laugh when I think about the early NRL days when we used racing softs on our 400hp street cars.

It was an intentional decision :p . Everyone was new to GT5 and we had lots of "newbies" so to speak that werent even familiar with sim racing. Future leagues were supposed to get increasingly difficult/more realistic even with ABS off.

paskowitz

The inclement weather has (edit: now maybe. Christ, I think I may just go it alone) cancelled my (family) travel plans. VA is scheduled to get .5 inch of ice. Hopefully next weekend is better. :/

As a result I will be participating this weekend.

Slight tangent but I have been running some practIce laps with the HUD turned off. Dynamic time and weather on the ring really makes GT5 something else, it's amazing!

Angst

The inclement weather has (edit: now maybe. Christ, I think I may just go it alone) cancelled my (family) travel plans. VA is scheduled to get .5 inch of ice. Hopefully next weekend is better. :/

As a result I will be participating this weekend.

As I gave your spot to SpeedOfNuts (he hasn't PMed me back though) I had to put you on the reserves for now. If anyone notifies me about not being able to make it gynoug79 is first in line, then you. The other reserves have specifically asked to be registered as reserves so I'm not moving them up unless they change their mind.

Slight tangent but I have been running some practIce laps with the HUD turned off. Dynamic time and weather on the ring really makes GT5 something else, it's amazing!
It definitely is! If I had to gripe about something it's the "Weather Changeability" parameter. Put it on 1 and it might never change, or it might change after 2 minutes. Put it on 10 and it's the same. I realize it's random with a heightened chance of change the higher the number is, but I wish they gave us an option to have rain until it reaches a certain amount of water on track or a certain time.

She's 94 so I (nor her) have any reservations. It gives me great solace that she has lived a full life. Thanks for the kind words.

Hope she makes it through paskowitz :)
Reminds me of my great aunt who used to come to stay every year, she smoked like a trooper but her mind was razor sharp until her death at 96. Hearing her talking about her childhood felt like a direct link to the past.

Polyphony

Best of luck with everything pasko, I hope everything's going to be ok. Take my spot tomorrow if you're in the mood to race. I don't think I'll be able to race on Sundays anymore, I always end up busy in the afternoon. I'll do my best to drop in last minute to race whenever I'm freed of my duties on Sundays.

paskowitz

If the race starts at 2pm eastern... it will be close for me. At least for the first race. I thought the races usually start at 3pm est. We shall see.

AmenAmazing

Neo Member
You're a junior member. You can't make threads until you've been a member for a certain amount of time and you also need a certain amount of posts. (I forget the specifics)

Polyphony

Call all the reserves! I mentioned in a previous post that I couldn't make it (and can't foresee making it on the following Sundays either) so pasko or someone else can take my spot. I was really looking forward to this race too... it's going to be beautiful. Someone take pictures or videos :p

Angst

I'll be home in 15 minutes and will start the lounge then.

Post here if you're on the list but can't make it. Hoping for a full grid tonight.

Angst

Huh, I apparently forgot to put this in the OP:

7:00 PM - Lounge opens for practice
7:45 PM - Track resets, weather reset to OP settings
7:45 PM - Qualifications starts (you have to join somewhere in the 7:45 to 8:15 time slot at the latest)
8:15 PM - Race starts, 3 laps
~8:45 PM - First race ends, followed by a short break (5-10 minutes) for water/toilet/whatever
~8:55 PM - Second race starts, with reverse grid order, no track reset, we continue with the conditions the track is currently at (unless I decide to overrule the weather gods and change it)

Niks

Everyone, remember to change car number and take it easy at start since it will be raining and tires will be cold.

Shit sucked, but at least it was kinda clean :p

Congrats to all, specially to MetalMurphy. What was your setup if you don't mind? :p

Everything stock except transmission, it was set to 220Kmh, BUT, only because i forgot to change it. I had it to 220 when the rain kept going away in the first race, I think for the second race it only slowed me a bit.

Amazing how my first podium finish was first place xD

paskowitz

Everything stock except transmission, it was set to 220Kmh, BUT, only because i forgot to change it. I had it to 220 when the rain kept going away in the first race, I think for the second race it only slowed me a bit.

Amazing how my first podium finish was first place xD

Congrats again.

My car (and if I am to be honest, driving) was terrible in the rain. I basically gave up around lap 2. First race was fun for a bit, then I hit the Vettel button.

Top Bottom