• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Toxa

cool party tonight, you should check my battle with niks in the last lap around the last corner ... intense !

862546DILLONpredator.gif

paskowitz

Next race, if the rules allow it, I highly recommend heading over to GTPlanet.net, going to the tuning section and asking advice on what a good tune for your car is. The tune I used was easily 3-4 seconds faster than stock. It had softer springs and some other interesting settings. It definitely helped me... at least on the first race.

Dibbz

The first race was great. Was in the middle and was able to fight up to 5th. The 2nd race was just bad for me. Started like 12th or something and got a false start because it didn't load for me until the countdown had finished. Tried to fight but in the dark with rain it is not easy. Did not help being so far behind because I was racing against packs.

Niks

Yeah that was great Tox, tried to keep the inside line but ended up overshooting thecorner. Looking at the replay from the first race, there was a lot of trading paint from positions 4 to 9.

And the second race, well considering it was dark, raining and it was a reverse grid on such a narrow track, I think it went fairly well. Top 5 were 10 seconds apart.

Reverse grid didn't work for me for some reason. I finished 9th on the first race, so I should have been 7th on the second grid, but for some reason I started at 13th.

Angst

I didn't do very well but had a good time nevertheless. I was really impressed by the pace MM managed to set in the rain. I was a bit perplexed at the start though, it looked like MM used some kind of wormhole to jump from back field to top spot... lol

Btw, I won't be around for the next couple of races, so it's probably better if someone else organizes them.

This weekend I'll be going on a weekend trip to Sweden, weekend after I'm going to Orlando with my company for a sales conference and the two weekends after that I will be skiing in Chamonix with my g/f... :)

So I will be absent for the next four Sundays.

Great pic Niks.

I had a great race last night, it is really so much more fun for me personally when we have a car that is Dualshock friendly. Loved the first race, great pack racing through the end of the first lap to the start of the third which had some classic 'Oh shit I am at the front of the pack' moments which resulted in lots of chopping and changing of positions. After that I then had good fun chasing Patau to the finish line, even giving him a cheeky nudge on the last corners but my conscience got the better of me and I repaid the favor from earlier by letting him past.

I didn't think I would enjoy the night+rain combo so much but other than when it got to 80%+ surface water I didn't have too hard a time driving in it. Apologies to anyone I was overly aggressive to at the start of that race, I just wanted to try and get to the front while it was dry so I could avoid being caught up in a messy pack later (as I am sure everyone did)

Hope we can keep doing these one make lower class races in the future, they rock!

Well done Patriots and Metalmurphy esp. Metal for losing your podium cherry with style!

Great photos Niks, looks like so much fun, gutted lobby wouldn't let me in!

Liked the format limited tuning ,same car, day/night, and wet/dry. Hope we can do it again sometime.

(first holiday with new gf Angst, should be romantic and memorable (holidays with my gf count as unpaid work!))

Angst

weird, in my race/replay you started in 7th as planed and you take the lead after 3 corner

MM found a wormhole in GT5 confirmed. ;)
Well done Patriots and Metalmurphy esp. Metal for losing your podium cherry with style!

Great photos Niks, looks like so much fun, gutted lobby wouldn't let me in!

Liked the format limited tuning ,same car, day/night, and wet/dry. Hope we can do it again sometime.

(first holiday with new gf Angst, should be romantic and memorable (holidays with my gf count as unpaid work!))
Yeah, it was a shame about the lobby. I thought the issues were on your end so I PMed gynoug and told him to get in, but he couldn't get in either.

Even though my performance was crap I also prefer the one-make races as the more cars we allow the less balanced it becomes. For the next race though I suggest we do a hybrid of Ashk and Niks' suggestions: Allow any non-race car with a PP limit of 450 or 500 on Daytona Road Course.

Off-topic: yeah, it's going to be an awesome holiday. Although we've already been on one holiday actually (two counting this coming weekend). :)

Awesome shots Niks, that's the time of day that GT5 looks its best. Simply stunning.

Nah, they're photos from the race we had, they go here. The really cool ones some times get reposted on the other thread.

Looked like two great races. Congrats on your first win MM!
Thanks! :)

I didn't do very well but had a good time nevertheless. I was really impressed by the pace MM managed to set in the rain. I was a bit perplexed at the start though, it looked like MM used some kind of wormhole to jump from back field to top spot... lol.
That makes two of us, Maybe everyone was afraid of the rain despite the track still being dry? I did bump into someone on my last overtake, sorry to whoever it was, but to my defense, wasn't expecting such early braking.

The rest of the race was me constantly fighting my nerves. First lap I did very well, and after overtaking to 1st place I actually increased my lead up to 6 seconds, then it slowly kept decreasing down to 3 seconds and that's when I started panicking lol. Every time Ashk gained a few seconds I'd stop concentrating and making more mistakes, luckily I think he made a few ones as well cause my lead would increase and decrease constantly. In the end I pushed a bit harder cause I didn't want him to catch my slipstream on the final straight, but it didn't work, he still got it but for some reason he braked WAY too early on the end of the straight, after that I just took it slow and safe, there's no way he could overtake me on the last 3 corners considering how tight they are. Thats why we ended up with a .2 seconds gap.

weird, in my race/replay you started in 7th pos as planed and you take the lead after 3 corner
Hum, wierd. I remember thinking "why the hell did I start so far back?" when it started and 13th is stuck in my head, I think I overtook like 3 cars right ahead because of some early starts penaltys. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Gotta rewatch the replay.

I want to apologize for screwing up the qualifying lap. I logged back in and started my lap and when I notice the lap timer hadn't started I panicked.

Regardless, I did have fun and the pics look amazing.

Angst

I want to apologize for screwing up the qualifying lap. I logged back in and started my lap and when I notice the lap timer hadn't started I panicked.

Regardless, I did have fun and the pics look amazing.

I think we all got a bit annoyed by that at the time. But looking back it didn't really matter. And I think we've all done that mistake one time - so don't worry. It's definitely a mistake people only make once... :)

Next race on the Ring we'll skip the qualification all together, doing that outlap with no timer is pretty tedious, especially when you make a minor mistake on the hot lap.

I think we all got a bit annoyed by that at the time. But looking back it didn't really matter. And I think we've all done that mistake one time - so don't worry. It's definitely a mistake people only make once... :)

Next race on the Ring we'll skip the qualification all together, doing that outlap with no timer is pretty tedious, especially when you make a minor mistake on the hot lap.

Yeah, it happens to everyone at least once. I've been this close to pressing the wrong button so many times :) The host should be able to cancel the start or something.

ashk

The rest of the race was me constantly fighting my nerves. First lap I did very well, and after overtaking to 1st place I actually increased my lead up to 6 seconds, then it slowly kept decreasing down to 3 seconds and that's when I started panicking lol. Every time Ashk gained a few seconds I'd stop concentrating and making more mistakes, luckily I think he made a few ones as well cause my lead would increase and decrease constantly. In the end I pushed a bit harder cause I didn't want him to catch my slipstream on the final straight, but it didn't work, he still got it but for some reason he braked WAY too early on the end of the straight, after that I just took it slow and safe, there's no way he could overtake me on the last 3 corners considering how tight they are. Thats why we ended up with a .2 seconds gap.

I kept closing in on you during the first lap when it was still dry. As it got into intermediate conditions on lap two I didn't do so good on judging the grip. Most times I would brake either too late or too early so the gap kept going up and down. So at the end of lap two the difference was about the same as the end of lap one. When it got to fully wet conditions I think I was a bit better than you. After about a quarter of lap 3 I was less than 2 seconds behind you, but the spray was too much by then and I couldn't spot my braking points. That caused me to brake too late for one turn and I lost a bit of time, but got back to a 3 second gap quickly. After that the spray made it hard to get close to you. When we got to the straight I thought I wasn't close enough for the slipstream. It turned out I was close enough but only just. By the time I managed to get on your bumper (or at least I think I got there, couldn't see anything) we were close to the end of the straight. The spray made it impossible to see anything except white and I almost went off the track at the corner after the bridge at the end of the straight. After that I had to break early and get out of the spray or it would have ended with either you, me or both of us in the wall.

So as I said yesterday, well deserved victory :)

paskowitz

What really opened my eyes this race is how a tune for dry conditions can be so horribly bad in wet conditions. Its something I have never experienced in GT5 before. Not to mention like you said AshK, adjusting to the braking point as the track got damper and from the last race was a challenge.

Angst

Btw, I won't be around for the next couple of races, so it's probably better if someone else organizes them.

This weekend I'll be going on a weekend trip to Sweden, weekend after I'm going to Orlando with my company for a sales conference and the two weekends after that I will be skiing in Chamonix with my g/f... :)

So I will be absent for the next four Sundays.

What's the race going to be this week?

I don't know. As said I'll be MIA for a while. But I just realized I messed up the weekends and I will be available for the first weekend in February.

February 5th will be another one-make race and I'm currently thinking about stock Z4 M Coupe or 350Z (Amuse or vanilla) at R246 and High Speed Ring (weather version).

January29th is up to you guys.

paskowitz

Couple of suggestions:

These cars are VERY close in terms of performance so they would need very little adjustment:

- Evo IX RM vs STi TC @ Madrid or Rome. Light damage. Touring car contact rules.

- Mclaren F1 vs Aventador @ High Speed Ring

- Challenger TC vs Camaro RM @ Indy or Daytona Road course

If we can organize it in time I think this would be the best option:

24 laps of Daytona. With 2 classes of racing. (prototype and GT would be too hard to balance and prototypes are rare and expensive, so I am going to suggest made up classes based on car type and PP)

- 24 laps
- Heavy damage, tire wear, weak slipstream.
- Everyone has a different car
- Racing hard tires for class 1 and racing mediums for class 2. Hopefully 8 cars in each.
- Class 1: High performance race cars balanced to similar performance levels (GTLM, ZR1RM, Z06RM, GT by Citroen Race Car, SGT GT500 cars, R35 GTR TC, Challenger TC, Camaro RM, etc) Hopefully all tuned to around the 600pp mark
- Class 2: Lower level racing cars. All tuned to similar levels (ex: NSX RM, TVR RM, Lotus Elise RMs, Silvia RM, SGT GT300 cars, etc)

What say you?

f0rk

I would love to do a race that just has a PP limit. It will be completely unbalanced but fun for a one off if there's enough variety.

I think two classes is too complicated though.

ashk

We already did a prototype race before (a long long time ago), so I don't think ownership of one is a problem since it's mostly the same people racing. Even if you don't have one it takes 30 mins of the B-spec Spa seasonal to get one. You also get one for free if you bought the last DLC. All the regulations are already worked out, I think it was a 715 or 710 PP limit with tuning allowed.

I would love to do a race that just has a PP limit. It will be completely unbalanced but fun for a one off if there's enough variety.

I think two classes is too complicated though.

I like the sound of this. How about a high PP street car race on High Speed Ring? 650PP, street cars, no tuners, no racers, 2 races on High Speed Ring, 15 laps each, reverse order for second race. We could even do a highway cruise on the new test track beforehand.

Niks

I like the 24 laps of Daytona event.
We haven't raced there + they are running the 24h race this weekend too.

Im fine with either 2 classes or just one.

Angst

So... Pask for race admin next week? Or perhaps niks as you've handled the OP once or twice before? As long as it's handled by someone that can update the OP regularly I'm fine with whoever handles it. :)

Just quote my last op, edit all the necessary details, create a new countdown timer and you're good to go.

If you have the skills and time to do a cool banner that's of course a plus.

paskowitz

Next weekend I may visit my Grandma, so Niks is probably the safer bet. I would be happy to do balance testing throughout the week though.

It's Tuesday, lets just vote on what this Sundays race should be. Previous suggestions-

- Evo IX RM vs STi TC @ Madrid or Rome. Light damage. Touring car contact rules.

- Mclaren F1 vs Aventador @ High Speed Ring

- Challenger TC vs Camaro RM @ Indy or Daytona Road course

24 laps of Daytona. With 2 classes of racing. (prototype and GT would be too hard to balance and prototypes are rare and expensive, so I am going to suggest made up classes based on car type and PP)

- 24 laps
- Heavy damage, tire wear, weak slipstream.
- Everyone has a different car
- Racing hard tires for class 1 and racing mediums for class 2. Hopefully 8 cars in each.
- Class 1: High performance race cars balanced to similar performance levels (GTLM, ZR1RM, Z06RM, GT by Citroen Race Car, SGT GT500 cars, R35 GTR TC, Challenger TC, Camaro RM, etc) Hopefully all tuned to around the 600pp mark
- Class 2: Lower level racing cars. All tuned to similar levels (ex: NSX RM, TVR RM, Lotus Elise RMs, Silvia RM, SGT GT300 cars, etc)

High power street car race on High Speed Ring. 650PP, street cars, no tuners, no racers, 2 races on High Speed Ring, 15 laps each, reverse order for second race. We could even do a highway cruise on the new test track beforehand.

Le Mans Prototypes at Daytona

Niks

To keep it simple?

- Daytona Road course.
- 24 laps.
- 600pp limit.
- All tires allowed.
- Different car for each driver.

Sorry i didn´t commented earlier, i´m on a business trip and i don´t have much acess to internet all day. Been busy.

Congrats to the winners of last race, specialy metalmurphy since it was his first. Races didn´t went all that well for me, i screwed up big time on some settings, and it just wasn´t a good combo for me i think. I certanly like the rain, but not on this combo.

I´ll try to be there on sunday, let´s see if i can make it.

Angst

My advice:

Someone grab the ball and run with it.

I.e. take one of the ideas above and post the OP. If you guys decide upon reaching a consensus it will be like the US Senate... :p

TklLh.jpg

LMP @ Daytona

Everybody is welcome to join.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1327863600z1.png

Allowed cars:
Le Mans Prototype​
Tuning allowed:
None
Lounge will be limited to 650 BHP​
Tyre Selection
No restriction​
Track:
Daytona Road Course​
Laps:
15 laps x2 races, reverse order second race
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS​
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Weather: None
Players Participating (16 / 16):
  • 01 - Weekend_Warrior
  • 02 - chillumchilla
  • 03 - Niks
  • 04 - f0rk
  • 05 - Dibbz
  • 06 - ashk
  • 07 - Toxa
  • 08 - Risk Breaker
  • 09 - Kaze13
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - paskowitz
  • R2 - SpeedOfNuts
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -
Remember to put the number above to the left of your name on your car for easier identification in the replay​
Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Updated:
Upgrades, race format, players​
[/QUOTE]

Angst

Good work WW. Hope you guys have a fun race.

One tip: do as me with the registration - sign up everyone that said something about the next race (before your OP). You can pretty much bet on them wanting to participate. If not they'll feel obligated to show up as they're on the list ;)

magawolaz

If you need a list of LMP cars:

S Audi R8 Race Car '01 (#1 red & #2 yellow)
S Audi R8 Race Car (Audi PlayStation Team ORECA) '05
P Audi R10 TDI Race Car '06
S Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03
S BMW V12 LMR Race Car '99
S Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 - Peugeot Race Car '03 (17# & 18#)
S Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo C60 Hybride - Judd Race car '05 (16# & 17#)
S Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo-Courage - Judd GV5 Race Car '04 (17# & 18#)
P Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Oreca Matmut '10
P Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10

S Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TS020) '99

Group C
P Jaguar XJR-9 LM Race Car '88
P Mazda 787B Race car '91
S Mercedes-Benz Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89
S Nissan R89C Race Car '89
S Nissan R92CP Race Car '92
S Peugeot 905 Race Car '92
S Toyota MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car '89

I don't think I'll join you this time, cars are way too fast for me :lol

Dibbz

Good work WW. Hope you guys have a fun race.

One tip: do as me with the registration - sign up everyone that said something about the next race (before your OP). You can pretty much bet on them wanting to participate. If not they'll feel obligated to show up as they're on the list ;)

Shit looks like I'm trapped now :(

Top Bottom